Buying A Mattress.

Almera

Never bought one before.

Size: 5 feet.

Price: Up to around 10k baht. (for a relative coming over on holiday for a month and staying in our house).

So is hardly going to be a name brand or special type of space-age technology.

Any ideas experiences of what to watch out or go for?

I know nothing of mattresses.

Having bought some , my only comment would be to buy one that has atleast a 6 yr guarantee, you will pay around 7k and up, anything less and it will, in my experience be flat and uneven within a year, they are built for 45kg Thais NOT 90kg ferangs, buy the best you can afford, if you have 10k spend 10k dont try to penny pinch, you,ll regret it.

• Like 2

Having bought some , my only comment would be to buy one that has atleast a 6 yr guarantee,

Thanks. Will do.

buy the best you can afford, if you have 10k spend 10k dont try to penny pinch, you,ll regret it.

What would make one mattress better than another?

I guess at his sort of price it will be a spring mattress. I've no idea of what makes some better than others though. Is there some sort of number rating system or anything on them that shows it's better quality?

Thanks.

Having bought some , my only comment would be to buy one that has atleast a 6 yr guarantee, you will pay around 7k and up, anything less and it will, in my experience be flat and uneven within a year, they are built for 45kg Thais NOT 90kg ferangs, buy the best you can afford, if you have 10k spend 10k dont try to penny pinch, you,ll regret it.

we bought cheap and medium priced mattress and after one year most of them were bad (my weight 70 kg).

1 is still fine and I think it was one of the cheaper one.

we bought cheap and medium priced mattress and after one year most of them were bad (my weight 70 kg).

Around how much did you pay? And did it have a long guarantee (6 years) ?

Go for firmness above all. THB15,000 seems to bring up some decent examples. No need for a well-known brand.

Beware of salesmen who try to persuade you that rubber is better then springs. They cost twice the price and no-one has convinced me that they are better.

They are only coming for a month. What's going to happen to the mattress after the month? You should weigh the cost against future benefit, if any.I,ve been sleeping on the same mattress for 12 years and it's still in good condition. It was expensive when I bought it then but ws well worth the expense. I don't know what the cost would be today. I would not have bought it if I was only going to use it for a month. I would have bought cheaper.

Edited by wayned

Wayned beat me to it. How much is it liable to be used after that?

If it is too firm your relative may not be able to sleep on it comfortably but generally a firmer mattress may keep its shape a bit longer.

May be worth asking someone who can write Thai to do a search in Thai to get some recommendations as 10k is relatively low end in Thailand.

It will be used long term.

Cost doesn't matter up to 10k.

Answers as to what stipulates a better mattress, are what I'm looking for.

"I've no idea of what makes some better than others though. Is there some sort of number rating system or anything on them that shows it's better quality?"

Edited by Almera

Around how much did you pay? And did it have a long guarantee (6 years) ?

Sorry can't recall the price....such things mrs h90 buys.....

Long guarantee....I don't know as well, maybe someone can proof me wrong but I doubt that they would really replace it....

Long guarantee....I don't know as well, maybe someone can proof me wrong but I doubt that they would really replace it....

I would suspect that is the case, but it might hint at it being better quality.

Nobody seems to be able to answer what other system there is of knowing the quality of a mattress (number rating of materials or something similar).

The more springs the better the mattress. It's much better to have a mattress that is a little bit too firm than too soft. Always go for firm. You can add a top mattress to a firm mattress but you can't make a soft mattress firm. Mattresses are expensive though. In my country a good one will cost at least 25K baht.

• Like 2

After suffering different Thai mattresses

(iron ones with tinny cloth layer =Thai idea of a matrass , no wonder they like sleeping on floorbiggrin.png )

in different condos I bought my own , a DUNLOPPILO latex one who let me feel like sleeping on a cloud......, price in sales offer at Home Pro Pattaya 12000 bhat , I could sell my bed ..... but not anymore my mattress

clap2.gif

post-66170-0-09026500-1363240394_thumb.j

• Like 2

(iron ones with tinny cloth layer =Thai idea of a matrass , no wonder they like sleeping on floorbiggrin.png )

in different condos I bought my own , a DUNLOPPILO latex one who let me feel like sleeping on a cloud......, price in sales offer at Home Pro Pattaya 12000 bhat , I could sell my bed ..... but not anymore my mattress

Thanks.

Will make a note of it.

Western-style mattresses of any quality are very very very expensive compared to back home.

I've been very happy with the high-density foam ones, similar to what you find in a high-end genuine Thai massage place. Ask at your local ones for phone numbers and you'll find you can get even a large one delivered for less than B5K in most areas.

Only downside is the vinyl cover, but for me that's actually a plus, helps them last for decades of even heavy use. Just get heavy cotton duck/canvas whatever slipcovers sewn up by your corner seamstress, replace those every few years if you like.

Specify the measurements yourself when ordering, since they make them up custom anyway I wouldn't trust just telling them "queen" or whatever.

Note they're only 10cm (3+") thick or so, what I do is get a few to stack for a "normal" (Western raised) bed, and then when guests come over it's very easy to pull them out to provide comfortable mats on the floor without wasting space (and money) on extra beds normally.

• Like 1

Nobody seems to be able to answer what other system there is of knowing the quality of a mattress (number rating of materials or something similar).

As another poster said in the west they would normally know the spring density and style of spring inside the mattress but at the price levels you are considering and the knowledge levels of Thai staff I do not hold out much hope. I had difficulty comparing at 20-30k when I bought.

A dunlopillo latex for 12k (as per david555 above) sounds a very good buy - as long as not too soft.

• Like 1

As another poster said in the west they would normally know the spring density and style of spring inside the mattress but at the price levels you are considering and the knowledge levels of Thai staff I do not hold out much hope. I had difficulty comparing at 20-30k when I bought.

A dunlopillo latex for 12k (as per david555 above) sounds a very good buy - as long as not too soft.

When I bought it was also in a price down offer , not knowing the full price as I do not believe the general -% signs too much , -% of which sum ?? (Thai Way )

But I have now for Almost 3 years , looks still as new , using protection cover and turn over mattress in all directions each few months (as advised , & not bend double as could break ) softness you could test , putt of your shoes and try it in shop ......;and also my weight is only 72/75 kilos , so depending little bit about your own" density biggrin.png "

http://www.dunlopillothai.com/new/product.php

Edited by david555

clap2.gif

attachicon.gifAfbeelding(15).jpg attachicon.gifAfbeelding(15).jpg

David do you feel sleeping on a latex mattress is really hot? i have a sealy one and cannot sleep on it unless i have my aisr con on as it is just so hot .but i agree it is like sleeping on a cloud. and I am no angel

In my opinion the only good ones are pure rubber mattress.

Don't be cheated, some brands sell 40k the same mattress that is sold 15k somewhere else.

Anyway rubber is rubber and paying a brand for this is stupid.

I bought a mattress which was far too soft so bought a 2000 baht topper, made it feel like new.

I take its a kids mattress being 5 feet, even if a Thai is 5ft tall they will be not comfortable in a 5 foot mattress.

Mattresses in this country are targeted at the general population Thai's.

And they mostly have all their lives slept on hard surfaces so when they buy a mattress, often their first, they buy one like their normal sleeping surface, hard.

You will find that some of the better quality mattress are sold as a set with the bed so that may limit your choice if you only want a mattress.

When you look around and go to as many places as you can find, try them out, sit on them lie on them, bounce around, if they don't want to let you say thank you good by.

Take a note book with you and make notes, quality, guarantee, price, etc then make up your own mind, go back to the place with the best deal, buy and get them to deliver free.

I bought a mattress which was far too soft so bought a 2000 baht topper, made it feel like new.

I take its a kids mattress being 5 feet, even if a Thai is 5ft tall they will be not comfortable in a 5 foot mattress.

5ft is the width - standard King in UK or I think queen in US. Length is normally (not always) a standard length depending on the width. 6ft for a 5ft and 6ft 6" for a 6 ft - I think?

Mattresses in this country are targeted at the general population Thai's.

And they mostly have all their lives slept on hard surfaces so when they buy a mattress, often their first, they buy one like their normal sleeping surface, hard.

You will find that some of the better quality mattress are sold as a set with the bed so that may limit your choice if you only want a mattress.

When you look around and go to as many places as you can find, try them out, sit on them lie on them, bounce around, if they don't want to let you say thank you good by.

Take a note book with you and make notes, quality, guarantee, price, etc then make up your own mind, go back to the place with the best deal, buy and get them to deliver free.

He only want to spend 10k wink.png

Agree completely with the last two lines of your post

He only want to spend 10k wink.png

Agree completely with the last two lines of your post

-

If that's the case in my experience you'll only get pure crap for that here in a Western-style mattress. Might be comfortable to start with, but will very quickly deteriorate. Then again I am a heavy user in both senses. . .

The dense-foam massage-style option I outlined above is of course "too firm" for most, but once you get used to it IMO much healthier, and using a duck slipcover coupled with a padding below the bottom-sheet isn't hot despite the vinyl.

And lasts very long - the only one of my house's six units that is starting to show any wear is now fourteen years old, and that's just the vinyl wearing at the knees, easily and cheaply replaced probably 500 baht for queen-sized.

Personally don't think there's any alternative gives better value for money.

Edited by FunFon