Uk Television A Joke.

Old Croc

Guest endure
Interestingly nobody seems to have mentioned what the word "bloody" means.

It does not, as I think most assume, mean "dripping with blood" - a fairly innocent if gruesome description.

"Bloody" is a bastardisation of the blasphemous (to the Catholic Church especially) "by Our Lady".

It is to the religious that offence will be caused.

Is that not the prime function of modern organised religions? To be offended?

I was watching a British quiz show on cable the other night. To win a car the contestants had to set off a buzzer by piddling in a toilet bowl behind two very small modesty doors. Then they had human wheelbarrow races with old, fat very naked nudists.

But the word bloody is a problem. :D

What programme and what channel was that? A new one on me. Probably a Murdoch Channel. :D

It was a show called "Distraction" hosted by someone named Jimmy Carr. Shown on UK-TV on Foxtel.

That must be one of those obscure digital channels that broadcasts cheaply made shows from the New World. Why were you watching it if there's better stuff to watch?

Morbid fascination :D I came across it accidently and couldn't stop watching :o

I was watching a British quiz show on cable the other night. To win a car the contestants had to set off a buzzer by piddling in a toilet bowl behind two very small modesty doors. Then they had human wheelbarrow races with old, fat very naked nudists.

What programme and what channel was that? A new one on me. Probably a Murdoch Channel. :D

It was a show called "Distraction" hosted by someone named Jimmy Carr. Shown on UK-TV on Foxtel.

That must be one of those obscure digital channels that broadcasts cheaply made shows from the New World. Why were you watching it if there's better stuff to watch?

A bit like Neighbours, then. :D

A bit like Neighbours, then. :D

I have never watched a complete episode of Neighbours nor the other one. It's like Fosters, something for the poms to consume. :D

Jesus!

And I thought my syntax was occasionally strangulated!

:o

Patrick

Loosening the bib usually helps - after that, learning to use a knife and fork.

Soon you will be able to speak and then in a few years someone will teach you to write.

If you are lucky you may even learn correct grammar.

Until that time comes – well – breath safely.

I have never watched a complete episode of Neighbours nor the other one. It's like Fosters, something for the poms to consume. :D

Some Poms watch Neighbours to see whether Australia yet has plumbed toilets, electricity and cars. We hear such odd stories about life out there! Others watch it to see whether acting improves.

Fosters is extract of gnat. Now, we could challenge you to a pint of real beer if you think you're up for it! Probably not otherwise you'd already be drinking it.

Jesus!

And I thought my syntax was occasionally strangulated!

:D

Patrick

Loosening the bib usually helps - after that, learning to use a knife and fork.

Soon you will be able to speak and then in a few years someone will teach you to write.

If you are lucky you may even learn correct grammar.

Until that time comes – well – breath safely.

Merton,

you seem to have a problem comprehending & remembering the basic forum rules...... again.

A friendly reminder.....

1) You will not use thaivisa.com to post any material which is knowingly or can be reasonably construed as false, defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, referencing suicide, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise in violation of any law.

2) Posting another members personal details, photos or web site details is forbidden and will result in being banned. Excessive, aggressive posts against other members, moderators and admin; or flaming will not be tolerated. 'Flaming' is best defined as posting or responding to a message in a way clearly intended to incite useless arguments, rants, and/or for launching personal attacks, insulting, being hateful, useless criticism, name calling, swearing and other bad behavior or comments meant to incite anger. :o

Have a nice day. :D

Some Poms watch Neighbours to see whether Australia yet has plumbed toilets, electricity and cars. We hear such odd stories about life out there! Others watch it to see whether acting improves.

Fosters is extract of gnat. Now, we could challenge you to a pint of real beer if you think you're up for it! Probably not otherwise you'd already be drinking it.

I can't believe a Brit is having a go at a modern country about Plumbing!! :D:D

I'm not qualified, nor interested in defending the quality of acting in soap operas. I would think your Coronation St and East Enders would be equally crap. I do think you should travel to other places rather than try to judge a country by watching rubbish on TV.

I think tastes in beer are highly personalised, although all should agree with your assessment of Fosters. My favorites would consist of many you would never have heard of, as well as many from countries such as The Netherlands, Belgium and Germany. None from England, although when there I drank many a pint of various dish water concoctions. It certainly was a challenge! :D

To each their own.

No wonder the advert was banned. Australians are ######ing rude ######. :o

Quoted from this website:

Kiwis can talk

When we do talk; some Kiwis make rude noises.

It's easy to make friends with other races; it's hard to make friends with Kiwis; they ignore you.

Some Kiwis get drunk and they throw bottles from their cars; it's very difficult for Asians.

A lot of people (Kiwis) in school swears at me; sometimes, during basketball games, people hassle me; bug me; sometimes, I very angry.

Some people don't like Asians; use bad language; use (finger- vulgar gesture).

Tried to talk to Kiwis; they push me around; they are enemies of Asian.

I hold hands with my Asian girl friend; some Kiwi girl ask, "Are you lesbian?"

I'm not qualified, nor interested in defending the quality of acting in soap operas. I would think your Coronation St and East Enders would be equally crap. I do think you should travel to other places rather than try to judge a country by watching rubbish on TV.

I think tastes in beer are highly personalised, although all should agree with your assessment of Fosters. My favorites would consist of many you would never have heard of, as well as many from countries such as The Netherlands, Belgium and Germany. None from England, although when there I drank many a pint of various dish water concoctions. It certainly was a challenge! :D

To each their own.

I thought that we were just having a bit of fun. I didn't realise that you were serious when you made your remarks about pomland. I have family in Australia and may have travelled a good bit more than you assume but I still have a sense of humour.

Best left there I think, old chap.

To each their own.

I thought that we were just having a bit of fun. I didn't realise that you were serious when you made your remarks about pomland. I have family in Australia and may have travelled a good bit more than you assume but I still have a sense of humour.

Don't get me wrong mate. I am having a bit of fun. :D You can't throw it back and forth then suddenly decide the other bloke is cutting too close to the bone. :D

Most of this Brit/Oz rivalry started during the last Ashes series, I thought you were joining in the game!

You're the one who said you watched soap operas to find out about life out here! It was a reasonable assumption that you hadn't been here.

What I said about soap operas and beer stands. I did say to each his own.

Maybe you have trouble with my sense of humour, but you would have to do a lot more to get me serious or upset. :D

Chill out.

To each their own.

Don't get me wrong mate. I am having a bit of fun. :D You can't throw it back and forth then suddenly decide the other bloke is cutting too close to the bone. :D

Most of this Brit/Oz rivalry started during the last Ashes series, I thought you were joining in the game!

You're the one who said you watched soap operas to find out about life out here! It was a reasonable assumption that you hadn't been here.

Maybe you have trouble with my sense of humour, but you would have to do a lot more to get me serious or upset. :D

Chill out.

OK. Back on track. :D I thought your hackles suddenly went up. That's one of the drawbacks of verbal communication, you can't always be sure of the other guy's feelings. There's a whole thread on this and about 10 examples each day!

To each their own.

Maybe you have trouble with my sense of humour, but you would have to do a lot more to get me serious or upset. :o

Chill out.

OK. Back on track. :D I thought your hackles suddenly went up. That's one of the drawbacks of verbal communication, you can't always be sure of the other guy's feelings. There's a whole thread on this and about 10 examples each day!

Canada lashes out 'bloody' Aussie ad

First it was "bloody", then it was "hel_l" and now it's "beer" itself that's tripping up an Australian tourism advertising campaign.

The recently launched and now controversial advertisement which concludes with the tagline "where the bloody hel_l are you?" has now run foul of the Canadian regulator.

But it's not the tagline that's the trouble this time as much as the opener: "I've bought you a beer".

Tourism Minister Fran Bailey says she has been informed by Canadian authorities they could not accept that line.

"We now have the Canadian authorities not wanting us to use the opening segment of 'I've bought you a beer'," Ms Bailey has told reporters in Melbourne. "The Canadian regulator says that this implies consumption of unbranded alcohol.

"I have to say that I find this quite astonishing."

Ms Bailey clarified that it was not beer consumption itself that was causing the problem for the Canadians but the fact the beer was unbranded.

"That's some sort of quirky Canadian regulation," she said.

Ms Bailey said the regulator was not troubled by the ad's closing tagline which they found "warm and friendly and inviting".

Even so, the Canadian regulator would not allow the ad to be shown during a children's Easter program because of the final line.

However, the ad had never been scheduled to be shown then anyway, Ms Bailey said.

Ms Bailey said it was likely the opening sequence would be replaced with different but equally warm and friendly footage - not involving references to unbranded beer - to get around the problem.

Earlier, Canadian Broadcasting Corporation spokeswoman Ruth Soles told ABC Radio her network had imposed its own restrictions on the advertisement. Ms Soles said the word "hel_l" might offend viewers who tune in to a particular family viewing timeslot.

Last week, Britain's advertising regulator objected to the word "bloody".But they relented after Ms Bailey flew to the UK and lobbed on their doorstep to argue the case. Ms Bailey said she had been told in London the controversy had itself generated "millions of pounds" worth of free publicity.

"As far as this particular Canadian regulator is concerned, I'd love him to come out here and I'll buy him a beer and say thank-you," she said. Ms Bailey declined to say what sort of beer she would offer the Canadians.

The advertising campaign is due to be aired in Canada within the next month.

©AAP 2006

Can't wait until we run it past the Americans!

:o:D:D

Edited by Old Croc

• 3 weeks later...
'Bloody hel_l' UK bans Aussie tourism ads

British broadcasting authorities have banned the use of the latest advertisements promoting Australian tourism, which feature the slogan "Where the bloody hel_l are you?"

Federal Tourism Minister Fran Bailey said in a statement the ban by the UK's Broadcast Advertising Clearance Centre was comical.

"How anyone can take offence at a beautiful girl in a bikini on a sunny beach inviting them to visit Down Under is a mystery to me," Ms Bailey said.

Tourism Australia managing director Scott Morrison said he understood UK free-to-air TV stations had been refused permission to use the ads.

"We know from our research and all the research we did over there that people are not offended by this, particularly the people we are trying to talk to," Mr Morrison told ABC radio.

He said he was not upset by the ban and hoped that publicity surrounding it would provide a further boost for the campaign.

"Everything helps," Mr Morrison said.

Mr Morrison said the ban, which applied only to the use of the word "bloody" on commercial television, was "a marketer's dream".

"The PR (public relations) that will be driving the campaign in the UK next week is going to be unprecedented," he said.

"We would have preferred the ad to run the way we first made it, but we can still run it the way it is cut now, which says 'Where the hel_l are you?'," Mr Morrison said.

"It is not as if it is not going to be shown on UK television.

"It will be shown. It will just have that slight adjustment to it.

"It will be run in its original format on the internet, in cinemas and everywhere else."

The campaign will be officially launched in the UK on Monday.

©AAP 2006 LATEST NEWS

It was expected the puritannical Yanks would have difficulties with the word "bloody", but Britain :D:D

The ads may eventually feature in other countries such as Thailand.

Can't wait until we run it past the Americans!

:D:D:D

NO chance !! :D

Yes, the infamous Australian tourism ad just recently premiered here in the U.S.A.

I just saw the commercial last weekend, but I guess they used the new edited British Version, because at the end of it , the Cute Bikini Chick ( Sheila? :D ) only said, "Where the hel_l are you". There was no "Bloody" word mentioned at all.....

Dispite what some may think , Puritannical Yanks :o had nothing to do with the omission over here, however.

The people from Tourism Australia certainly did their research for the local market, because the simple fact of the matter is, the British Intensifier word "Bloody" is not even used, or was ever used here in America ( especially after 1776.... :D )

To be perfectly honest, most Americans would not even know what the word "Bloody" ment, and aside from those few that do ( Fans of Benny Hill, Monty Python, BBC America, and those hi-brow British period movies ) , would not even be remotely offended by it, it is just one of those silly , nonsense, "Englishy" words that British and their Commonwealth kindred say when they get mad... :D

Despite the little hiccup over the unfortunate slip into the Aussie way of filling gaps in the antipodean vocabulary, things Australian continue to fascinate the British TV companies. There's a new soap opera entitled 'Will the Aussie Builder Ever Finish the New Wembley Stadium?' It has already raised important social questions such as 'Will the penalties for late completion amount to more than the contract price?' and 'Will it fall over when someone leans on it like the scenery in Neighbours?' Actually, bits of the roof have already fallen on the builders' own heads!

I recommend it. You can catch it, usually, twice each week on the News. It's amazing what inventive imaginations the scriptwriters have these days.

There's something worrying about the London Olympics, too. The guy in charge of the building works has what sounds very much like an Aussie accent! Still, with luck the late completion penalties while deliver the dual benefit of Britain neither having to endure the nightmare of hosting the event nor stuff it's taxpayers with the bill.

Just a bit of fun. :o

Despite the little hiccup over the unfortunate slip into the Aussie way of filling gaps in the antipodean vocabulary, things Australian continue to fascinate the British TV companies. There's a new soap opera entitled 'Will the Aussie Builder Ever Finish the New Wembley Stadium?' It has already raised important social questions such as 'Will the penalties for late completion amount to more than the contract price?' and 'Will it fall over when someone leans on it like the scenery in Neighbours?' Actually, bits of the roof have already fallen on the builders' own heads!

Just a bit of fun. :D

I understand most of the big British construction companies didn't even tender for the project.

They knew something! :o

'Bloody hel_l' UK bans Aussie tourism ads

British broadcasting authorities have banned the use of the latest advertisements promoting Australian tourism, which feature the slogan "Where the bloody hel_l are you?"

Federal Tourism Minister Fran Bailey said in a statement the ban by the UK's Broadcast Advertising Clearance Centre was comical.

"How anyone can take offence at a beautiful girl in a bikini on a sunny beach inviting them to visit Down Under is a mystery to me," Ms Bailey said.

Tourism Australia managing director Scott Morrison said he understood UK free-to-air TV stations had been refused permission to use the ads.

"We know from our research and all the research we did over there that people are not offended by this, particularly the people we are trying to talk to," Mr Morrison told ABC radio.

He said he was not upset by the ban and hoped that publicity surrounding it would provide a further boost for the campaign.

"Everything helps," Mr Morrison said.

Mr Morrison said the ban, which applied only to the use of the word "bloody" on commercial television, was "a marketer's dream".

"The PR (public relations) that will be driving the campaign in the UK next week is going to be unprecedented," he said.

"We would have preferred the ad to run the way we first made it, but we can still run it the way it is cut now, which says 'Where the hel_l are you?'," Mr Morrison said.

"It is not as if it is not going to be shown on UK television.

"It will be shown. It will just have that slight adjustment to it.

"It will be run in its original format on the internet, in cinemas and everywhere else."

The campaign will be officially launched in the UK on Monday.

©AAP 2006 LATEST NEWS

It was expected the puritannical Yanks would have difficulties with the word "bloody", but Britain :D:o

Yanks have never had a problem with the word Bloody any any way shape or form. Many cuss words are no allowed on prime time, so there! :D

The ads may eventually feature in other countries such as Thailand.