Why Does A Cb 500 Sound Like A Scooter?

There's a bike shop on Soi Siam Country Club (in about 100 metres from Sukhumvit Rd on left hand side) that has big bikes. I went past this morning and they had a CB400 something out front with an A4 page stuck to the headlamp showing a price of 285.000 baht! <deleted>!!! Maybe no one told em the new CB500 is priced a bit over 200.000 baht!

Most likely a new Japanese import.Still doesn't justify the price for what you're getting. Granted the 400 sounds better and the power is similar but no dealer support and no warranty kinda scares me.

Fear is a mind killer. The idea that Japanese bikes implode the minute they land in Thailand is like one of those urban legends. I agree that particular cb400 is overpriced at 285k though, better off looking for a good example with a straight book second hand IMO but admittedly it takes a bit of time and patience, worth it in the end...

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's a bike shop on Soi Siam Country Club (in about 100 metres from Sukhumvit Rd on left hand side) that has big bikes. I went past this morning and they had a CB400 something out front with an A4 page stuck to the headlamp showing a price of 285.000 baht! <deleted>!!!

Maybe no one told em the new CB500 is priced a bit over 200.000 baht!

Most likely a new Japanese import.

Still doesn't justify the price for what you're getting. Granted the 400 sounds better and the power is similar but no dealer support and no warranty kinda scares me.

new cb400 revo at the price of 285k? not even a chance. probably the older spec 3. the power is not even similar to the parallel twin cb500

I hate this sound, I dont think I will be able to get over it, everybody will think I am driving 125 honda not 500 cbr, they should ommit r at the end for sure.

pussy bike, I am starting to believe that these Thai bikes are the worse garbage ever, the will break down sooner or later, can they be compared to Chinese crap like lifan or something ?

you are completely right. it is not even scooter worthy, it is as utilitarian as a sewing machine.

when i rode my nc30 all i heard was the whine of timing chains and cams on the four cylinder lump, but i must admit it was essentially silent until i threw a new exhaust on it, adjusted the carbs and derestricted it.

bear in mind the nc30 redlines at 14500. the nsr 250 rr, about 12, but once it hit 7, in the 2 stroke power band, it was as fast as the nc30, and the front wheel would lift. both did about 180 kph

the new offerings, are just sad in comparison.

buy a 'cbr' 500? or spend some time looking for a real bike?

i rue the day i sold my nc30 for 70k, but my nsr 250 rr went the same day for an additional 60, to the mechanic i bought them both from and it was non functional because a rat got into the wiring. i was leaving the country for a while, and selling seemed to be the way forward.

i have offered him 90 to buy the nc30 back, and he laughed, it is now winning races.

looking back, i should have kept them both, because no other bike short of the er6 has even vaguely interested me, and it was a sad approximation.

give me the honda 4 cylinder of days gone by over any of the new 2 cyl 600's.

the mock 'cbr' 500 does not even rate.

isnt fair to compare tbh. nc30 and 35 is almost the holy grail. v4, proarm, gear driven cam, 360 deg cam, what else?

cbr500 .. had . . em? twin piston single 320mm disc??? what?

• Like 1

There's a bike shop on Soi Siam Country Club (in about 100 metres from Sukhumvit Rd on left hand side) that has big bikes. I went past this morning and they had a CB400 something out front with an A4 page stuck to the headlamp showing a price of 285.000 baht! <deleted>!!!

Still doesn't justify the price for what you're getting. Granted the 400 sounds better and the power is similar but no dealer support and no warranty kinda scares me.

new cb400 revo at the price of 285k? not even a chance. probably the older spec 3. the power is not even similar to the parallel twin cb500

Quite possible I was overly wishful thinking it was new, but I stand by my assertion it's the same power. A Google search for ,CB400 Revo dyno, had the following picture. Close enough to the ~43 RWHP reported for the 500.

betterpower3rd.jpg

And it's only 4kg lighter when dry.

Quite possible I was overly wishful thinking it was new, but I stand by my assertion it's the same power. A Google search for ,CB400 Revo dyno, had the following picture. Close enough to the ~43 RWHP reported for the 500.

betterpower3rd.jpg

im sorry as i assume similar power in a sense of similarity in power curve and delivery not peak

Lota of empty talk again.

Check this out from thaicbr.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?/topic/624250-Cbr500R-In-Isle-Of-Man-Tt#entry6210548

So you guys say you now biking and pro racing teams like philip morris and pro riders like john mcguinnes does not know anything? Funny guys you all:D

And funny to hear comments here especially from lifan, honda wave and pcx owners.

I haven't ridden one, but think it's a great bike for Thailand.

It's a shame it (they) aren't in line with the US pricing.

If this set was 175-190 instead of 205k-220k or whatever, then they would be fantastic and something for Thailand to be proud of.

I think the U.S. pricing was announced first and it seemed great, this country is actually progressing, then the Thai price came out at being 10% more despite being built here and not having any import tax or costs attached. Then after a few weeks it was increased again. Just to remind us of where we are. biggrin.png

Though if the TT race bike is being upped to 650(?)cc it's hardly the CBR500 (which is really 471cc as sold). I'm too drunk to bother, but is that 30% more cc Dave?

Edited by Almera

You've just got to love the random bashings some bikes get on this forum.

I hope those involved are entertained wink.png

yeah some people just cant accept people have different tastes ,i never forget before the crf came out their was loads of people slagging it off over its ground clearence saying no good to low compared to the klx what do half the people do when they buy one......they lower it....lol

also it was amazing how many people slated the suspension from just watching a video oh it looks well to soft is what they were saying ,then in the comparison tests it turns out the front susupension is a liitlle harder than the competition,i guess some people just arent happy unless they are slagging of someone or something

Edited by taninthai
  • Like 2

I hope those involved are entertained ;)

I m ok for random bashing carlos:lol:

Just heating up the forum so trollers can troll more as they have nothing to do i guess.:D

And like i care what people say.

I had a great fun with a cbr500 on the track today unlike bashers so the rest is just bs to me:D

Edited by loserlazer
  • Like 1

betterpower3rd.jpg

im sorry as i assume similar power in a sense of similarity in power curve and delivery not peak

I'll do an overlay as soon as I can find a CB*500* dyno picture....but I'm sure that we both know the 400 engine is most likely peakier...

I haven't ridden one, but think it's a great bike for Thailand.

It's a shame it (they) aren't in line with the US pricing.

If this set was 175-190 instead of 205k-220k or whatever, then they would be fantastic and something for Thailand to be proud of.

I think the U.S. pricing was announced first and it seemed great, this country is actually progressing, then the Thai price came out at being 10% more despite being built here and not having any import tax or costs attached. Then after a few weeks it was increased again. Just to remind us of where we are. biggrin.png

Though if the TT race bike is being upped to 650(?)cc it's hardly the CBR500 (which is really 471cc as sold). I'm too drunk to bother, but is that 30% more cc Dave?

Y'all just can't resist, can you?

It's 138% the size of the OEM (650/471*100).

Lota of empty talk again. Check this out from thaicbr. http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?/topic/624250-Cbr500R-In-Isle-Of-Man-Tt#entry6210548 So you guys say you now biking and pro racing teams like philip morris and pro riders like john mcguinnes does not know anything? Funny guys you all:D And funny to hear comments here especially from lifan, honda wave and pcx owners.

Of course you are right. The CBR500 is a real racebike. It just sounds like a scooter. Honda has done this to confuse the racing rivals.

laugh.png

• Like 1

yeah some people just cant accept people have different tastes ,i never forget before the crf came out their was loads of people slagging it off over its ground clearence saying no good to low compared to the klx what do half the people do when they buy one......they lower it....lol

also it was amazing how many people slated the suspension from just watching a video oh it looks well to soft is what they were saying ,then in the comparison tests it turns out the front susupension is a liitlle harder than the competition,i guess some people just arent happy unless they are slagging of someone or something

if i remember well you are one of the guys here slagging of the platinum px 250 but you have never seen it up close, ridden it or waited long enough for some owners reports Even worse your slagging posts make the owners of these bikes leave the thread so no one will be able to read any future reports anymore.

"i guess some people just arent happy unless they are slagging of someone or something" Something about the pot calling the kettle black ?

Edited by pokerkid

Ah bill and ben are back..........

FYI I have seen a platinum up close they were selling the whole range in big c car park 2 weeks ago,and the bike I slagged of I had actually owned ,so as it's a public forum I am allowed to give my view and opinions on it ,now let's not start all your childish b,s on this thread please

Edited by taninthai
  • Like 1

Please stay on topic. Personal attacks don't make the sound of the CBR500 any better biggrin.png

EDIT:

Oh, was a little bit too late. Moderators are typing faster i guess.

Edited by wantan
  • Like 1

I hope those involved are entertained ;)

I don't see too much bashing, just difference of opinions and a bit of banter... It's only when some people get butthurt (not yourself in fairness) that it descends into something else.

If you took the lively debates out of this forum it would descend fairly quickly into a boring discussion on the merits of a Fino vs. a Scoopy. It's good to discuss the relative merits of the high end imported sports bikes vs. the newer, locally produced commuter bikes :)

• Like 1

says the head of the anti-all-things-chinese brigade

• Like 2

^

there is a difference between having different tastes in bikes and just being a cheap Charlie,some things have a bad reputation and it's not my problem if you don't like hearing the opinions of someone that has owned one of these pieces of crap

Like many posters on this forum I am bored to death of the Chinese debate why certain people want to bring the Chinese subject into other threads about other bikes is beyond me ,I'm no longer interested in these debates so if people stop quoting my posts all the time and relating it back to crap Chinese engineering I will have no need to get involved with the Chinese crap.

Thank you

Edited by taninthai

^

there is a difference between having different tastes in bikes and just being a cheap Charlie,some things have a bad reputation and it's not my problem if you don't like hearing the opinions of someone that has owned one of these pieces of crap

Like many posters on this forum I am bored to death of the Chinese debate why certain people want to bring the Chinese subject into other threads about other bikes is beyond me ,I'm no longer interested in these debates so if people stop quoting my posts all the time and relating it back to crap Chinese engineering I will have no need to get involved with the Chinese crap.

Thank you

Bit rich coming from a guy who openly admitted to owning a 'Platinum' cheesy.gif

^

Thank you

Bit rich coming from a guy who openly admitted to owning a 'Platinum' cheesy.gif

Rickster, you are mistaken. he did not own a platinum but i think it was a GPX and after having problems with this bike he thinks he now has enough experience with ALL chinese and thai made bikes to slag them of .

A bit like someone who has owned a honda and wasn't happy slagging of a kawasaki based on that experience.

Edited by pokerkid

^

Thank you

thats a deal if you stay out of the chinese made bike threads as well since you never have anything positive to say about them anyway but it looks like you love it cause you come back again and again to these threads.

Edited by pokerkid

Pokerkid why dont you go play on sandbox of chinese bike threads? - And you do not even balls to buy one so what can you say there i am not sure too -

This is about cbr500.

Just add something valuable here in bikes in thailand forum once in your life apart from bs or attacking others, please.

Edited by loserlazer

^

idiots both of you don't even have a clue what your talkin about & can't even get your facts right......lmfao

What facts? That you bought a chinese bike? Then after buying it you realised you made a mistake. You, noone else! Get over it, or people will talk about this forever.

My Versys 650 is a twin and the sound isn't much better than the CBR 500. Even my CBR 1000, which is an inline four, sounded like crap with the stock exhaust. Most bikes today, regardless of engine configuration, sound pretty weak with a stock exhaust.