Looking For A Coffee-Shop To Work Outside Of My Appartment

Maramook

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3bb is free or costs 100 baht per month which is nothing. But I'm looking for a place where I use either their wifi or bb wifi. I'm not looking for free wifi because I already have it at my condo.

Then I'm confused. If you want wifi anywhere then the above does it. Probably can sit in a park, bring your own refreshments even and not take up table space. wink.png Or is there another reason why coffee shops only?

Working at an apartment is pretty boring that's why I usually roam from coffee-shop to coffee-shop and work there

3bb is free or costs 100 baht per month which is nothing. But I'm looking for a place where I use either their wifi or bb wifi. I'm not looking for free wifi because I already have it at my condo.

Then I'm confused. If you want wifi anywhere then the above does it. Probably can sit in a park, bring your own refreshments even and not take up table space. wink.png Or is there another reason why coffee shops only?

>Working at an apartment is pretty boring that's why I usually roam from coffee-shop to coffee-shop and work there

In a park you might not be able to take up a seat some one who is just looking for a quick cup of coffee wants. Also no danger of adversely effecting the bossiness ability to generate income. I am very sure they do not figure on people sitting at one table drinking one cup of coffee for four hours.

I could be wrong.

>Working at an apartment is pretty boring that's why I usually roam from coffee-shop to coffee-shop and work

there

In a park you might not be able to take up a seat some one who is just looking for a quick cup of coffee wants. Also no danger of adversely effecting the bossiness ability to generate income. I am very sure they do not figure on people sitting at one table drinking one cup of coffee for four hours.

I could be wrong.

It depends. If business is low it can sometimes be good to have one or two people in the place even if they are only surfing the internet. Customers like that are sort of a reverse Scarecrow. People are generally reluctant to go into an empty restaurant unless they already are a regular, and in that sense people just taking up a table can be good for business. But of course in a busy restaurant those customers spending 50 baht in 4 hours might be bad business.

Edited by AngelsLariat
  • Like 1

Why not consider a co-working space rather than a stinking coffee shop?? I personally absolutely detest the smell of coffee... smell makes me want to puke! Have you checked out Pun Space? I've heard great reviews so far. I'm currently out of the country on business, but I plan to check it out as soon as I return home to Chiang Mai.

http://www.punspace.com/

-Mestizo

only coffee-shop. otherwise a co-working space will become the same as my apartment in terms of bordem.

I looked at that A strange add.It is not open yet all though it claims to be.

Pun Space is a fun, friendly, and collaborative workspace. It’s not just a shared office but a

place where you can meet great new people.

Wonder what it will be like when they open?

"About Us

Pun Space is a new coworking space in

Chiang Mai (opening in March 2013), located 2 minutes from Nimman area.

"Pun" in Thai (ปัน) means "share". So Pun Space simply translates to "Shared Space".

Pun Space is a fun, friendly, and collaborative workspace. It’s not just a shared office but a

place

where you can meet great new people with mutual interest, a place where you

can

work comfortably for long hours without feeling overstay your welcome

like working in a coffee shop, and a place where you can leave your laptop to go to bathroom without fear.

Come be part of our community.

i cant see how pun space would not be ideal. looks like a great place to work

I would contact an admistrator asap because someone must have edited your OP behind your back

So I keep looking for a coffee-shop where I can work often in the Internet. So it has to have

- free WiFi

Parasites like yourself are a PITA for regular coffee-addicts ... taking up space AND using free electricity & hogging bandwidth whilst casual customers struggle to connect.

Macca's is for you ... stay away from Ristr8o and Akha Ama .... oops, think I gave you a clue or 2 there .... giggle.gifcoffee1.gif

coffee-shops are public. I'm a normal customer.

Coffee-shops are meant for customers to have a drink and move on...not working places for you..bah.gif

Is this written somewhere in a coffee-shop?

No, but someone with only half a braincell would understand how a business works.

Why not consider a co-working space rather than a stinking coffee shop?? I personally absolutely detest the smell of coffee... smell makes me want to puke! Have you checked out Pun Space? I've heard great reviews so far. I'm currently out of the country on business, but I plan to check it out as soon as I return home to Chiang Mai.

http://www.punspace.com/

-Mestizo

only coffee-shop. otherwise a co-working space will become the same as my apartment in terms of bordem.

I looked at that A strange add.It is not open yet all though it claims to be.

place where you can meet great new people.

Wonder what it will be like when they open?

"About Us

Pun Space is a new coworking space in

Chiang Mai (opening in March 2013), located 2 minutes from Nimman area.

"Pun" in Thai (ปัน) means "share". So Pun Space simply translates to "Shared Space".

place

where you can meet great new people with mutual interest, a place where you

can

work comfortably for long hours without feeling overstay your welcome

like working in a coffee shop, and a place where you can leave your laptop to go to bathroom without fear.

Come be part of our community.

i cant see how pun space would not be ideal. looks like a great place to work

No it isn't ideal for the OP, as it probably requires a few baht a day.

It just occurred to me would it not be better to work at home and take a break to go out for coffee or ambiance every few hours. That way one would not be distracted from their work. And it would defiantly give them a break. Time away from the keyboard might give a little bit more room in the brain for a different idea.

Lets face it if that is unacceptable maybe one should consider new lodgings. When I decided to do a little bit of college I studied up on learning techniques and taking a break from the books was one of the tips.

Next, the OP will be asking......"which of those have a free refill !!! ?"

Seems like the OP might be a member of the ever famous "How to Live in Thailand with Just 150 bths a Day" CLUB

I do live here spending approximately that much money per day.

That explains why apartment sucks!

• Like 1

>Working at an apartment is pretty boring that's why I usually roam from coffee-shop to coffee-shop and work

there

I could be wrong.

It depends. If business is low it can sometimes be good to have one or two people in the place even if they are only surfing the internet. Customers like that are sort of a reverse Scarecrow. People are generally reluctant to go into an empty restaurant unless they already are a regular, and in that sense people just taking up a table can be good for business. But of course in a busy restaurant those customers spending 50 baht in 4 hours might be bad business.

Point taken

Yes that could be the case some of the time.

Parasites like yourself are a PITA for regular coffee-addicts ... taking up space AND using free electricity & hogging bandwidth whilst casual customers struggle to connect.

Macca's is for you ... stay away from Ristr8o and Akha Ama .... oops, think I gave you a clue or 2 there .... giggle.gifcoffee1.gif

coffee-shops are public. I'm a normal customer.

Coffee-shops are meant for customers to have a drink and move on...not working places for you..bah.gif

There is a hint in the business-name.... Here, let me help you a little more... "SHOP"...a place where one goes to buy something. "COFFEE"...the thing one goes to buy. coffee1.gif ...Even a graphic to get the message over visually. tongue.png

What you need is an internet shop..... I was going to say internet cafe, but this would confuse you more.

Anyway, thank heavens no one has named my favourite caffeination station! biggrin.png

• Like 1

First of all, I'm with Maramook on this. I love working in coffee shops, I find the atmosphere conducive & I can be very productive whereas I get bored or distracted at home (to wit, here I am at home wasting time on TV when I do have better things to do). I've given up on bringing my charger, however, as there is too often competition for too-few outlets. This also has the effect of making me get up & leave sooner or later when I run out of juice. I use a Macbook and it's good for at least 6 hours which is the main reason I don't bring my charger.

When I lived in Japan, there were virtually no coffee shops with wifi. I knew of only one, a good 30 minutes drive from my house. My solution... a mobile wifi device from Softbank (cellular provider) which gave me internet anywhere I could get a cellular signal. The monthly cost was only about $30, with no contract, and that opened up just about all the coffee shops for my working pleasure. Battery life on that dongle was barely 2 hours and it was often my limiting factor in how long I could stay.

I do make an effort to poke my head up from time to time & look around. If I see real customers buying real drinks with nowhere to sit, I'd be inclined to pack up and leave. If my table was large enough, I might offer a spot to someone at my table. This works good in the States, and only so-so in Japan. It might not work in Thailand at all, esp with a younger crowd. They get suspicious of your motives.

Any sane and reasonable person knows that....probably you would walk into a coffee-shop pay for a cup of coffee and remove it's utensils afterwards..

WHY.." is this written somewhere in a coffee-shop "beatdeadhorse.gif I have seen cheap charlies, but you are unique..w00t.gif

Most Coffee shops I've recommended have a lot of customers hang around reading, falling asleep or work . I guess it's better than having no customers at all.

Hey ..... a subtle oxymoron.......coffee shop and falling asleep......that proves it.... pretty much not spending any money

tongue.png

Next, the OP will be asking......"which of those have a free refill !!! ?"

Seems like the OP might be a member of the ever famous "How to Live in Thailand with Just 150 bths a Day" CLUB:)

150bht/day. That much!(does that include rent?)

Edited by scottishjohn

In the afternoon, the Starbucks near where I'm staying right now is jammed with students doing their homework on their computers or just from books. They buy one small cup of coffee and sit there for several hours. The management has just changed all the furniture in the place, removing the tables that could seat four, and even most of those that seat two, replacing them with somewhat uncomfortable stools in an effort to stop people from sitting for three or four hours. I go in for lunch several times a week, eat a sandwich, have a drink, and read for a half hour. Talking with the staff, they are really in a quandry as to how to deal with the 'long users' situation. Franchise regulations stipulate that they can't place a time limit on customers.... One thing they are contemplating is removing the electrical sockets for recharging, but that will also cause problems for the business people who come in and work for a half hour while eating.

Timed wifi connection, you buy a coffee you get a voucher with an individual renewable password for 30 minutes wifi, if you want to continue using wifi keep buying coffee.

Yes, but then scabs start annoying other customers to go get a wi-fi code. How about you go rent an office or do what ever you do from home ?

In the afternoon, the Starbucks near where I'm staying right now is jammed with students doing their homework on their computers or just from books. They buy one small cup of coffee and sit there for several hours. The management has just changed all the furniture in the place, removing the tables that could seat four, and even most of those that seat two, replacing them with somewhat uncomfortable stools in an effort to stop people from sitting for three or four hours. I go in for lunch several times a week, eat a sandwich, have a drink, and read for a half hour. Talking with the staff, they are really in a quandry as to how to deal with the 'long users' situation. Franchise regulations stipulate that they can't place a time limit on customers.... One thing they are contemplating is removing the electrical sockets for recharging, but that will also cause problems for the business people who come in and work for a half hour while eating.

Timed wifi connection, you buy a coffee you get a voucher with an individual renewable password for 30 minutes wifi, if you want to continue using wifi keep buying coffee.

Yes, but then scabs start annoying other customers to go get a wi-fi code. How about you go rent an office or do what ever you do from home ?

That's the obvious solution but it doesn't meed the criteria set by the original poster. He wants the comraderie that he finds in coffee shops, while not paying for airconditioning, electricity, or rent. As has been shown in various publications, this is getting to be a serious problem with places that have created comfortable workspaces/ambiance as a setting to sell their wares. All too often people are just taking advantage of the dancing without paying the piper.

• Like 1