Looking For A Coffee-Shop To Work Outside Of My Appartment

Maramook

Working at an apartment is pretty boring that's why I usually roam from coffee-shop to coffee-shop and work there. Although I found a few good ones but they were far from my apartment or coffee were too expensive.

So I keep looking for a coffee-shop where I can work often in the Internet. So it has to have

- free WiFi

- sockets to keep my laptop charged and

- convenient tables: not too small, not from a glass.

Everybody who works the same way will understand what I mean.

What are you thoughts about that, where is a good place for working?

The area is near University up to Nimmanhemin

3bf956bc676eaba2c113c132cae477.jpg

Edited by Maramook

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Parasites like yourself are a PITA for regular coffee-addicts ... taking up space AND using free electricity & hogging bandwidth whilst casual customers struggle to connect.

Macca's is for you ... stay away from Ristr8o and Akha Ama .... oops, think I gave you a clue or 2 there .... giggle.gifcoffee1.gif

i suspect they would be considered too expensive. Obviously hot willing to consider paying for a 3 g connection which would allow him to work anywhere

1 coffee or 100 baht for 1 hour minimum i say.

i suppose working from home is only really an issue when your home sucks.

Edited by candypants
  • Like 1

Why not consider a co-working space rather than a stinking coffee shop?? I personally absolutely detest the smell of coffee... smell makes me want to puke! Have you checked out Pun Space? I've heard great reviews so far. I'm currently out of the country on business, but I plan to check it out as soon as I return home to Chiang Mai.

http://www.punspace.com/

-Mestizo

• Like 2

In the afternoon, the Starbucks near where I'm staying right now is jammed with students doing their homework on their computers or just from books. They buy one small cup of coffee and sit there for several hours. The management has just changed all the furniture in the place, removing the tables that could seat four, and even most of those that seat two, replacing them with somewhat uncomfortable stools in an effort to stop people from sitting for three or four hours. I go in for lunch several times a week, eat a sandwich, have a drink, and read for a half hour. Talking with the staff, they are really in a quandry as to how to deal with the 'long users' situation. Franchise regulations stipulate that they can't place a time limit on customers.... One thing they are contemplating is removing the electrical sockets for recharging, but that will also cause problems for the business people who come in and work for a half hour while eating.

In the afternoon, the Starbucks near where I'm staying right now is jammed with students doing their homework on their computers or just from books. They buy one small cup of coffee and sit there for several hours. The management has just changed all the furniture in the place, removing the tables that could seat four, and even most of those that seat two, replacing them with somewhat uncomfortable stools in an effort to stop people from sitting for three or four hours. I go in for lunch several times a week, eat a sandwich, have a drink, and read for a half hour. Talking with the staff, they are really in a quandry as to how to deal with the 'long users' situation. Franchise regulations stipulate that they can't place a time limit on customers.... One thing they are contemplating is removing the electrical sockets for recharging, but that will also cause problems for the business people who come in and work for a half hour while eating.

- coffee is very expensive

- wifi is not free

Why not consider a co-working space rather than a stinking coffee shop?? I personally absolutely detest the smell of coffee... smell makes me want to puke! Have you checked out Pun Space? I've heard great reviews so far. I'm currently out of the country on business, but I plan to check it out as soon as I return home to Chiang Mai.

-Mestizo

only coffee-shop. otherwise a co-working space will become the same as my apartment in terms of bordem.

Parasites like yourself are a PITA for regular coffee-addicts ... taking up space AND using free electricity & hogging bandwidth whilst casual customers struggle to connect.

Macca's is for you ... stay away from Ristr8o and Akha Ama .... oops, think I gave you a clue or 2 there .... giggle.gifcoffee1.gif

coffee-shops are public. I'm a normal customer.

Edited by Maramook

- coffee is very expensive

- wifi is not free

coffee-shops are public. I'm a normal customer.

I don't know of any government-run coffee shops. All that I've seen are privately owned businesses, and businesses require a constant turnover of clientel to make their daily receipts. A restaurant must turn over its tables several times during each meal period or it goes out of business quickly. Each restaurant knows just how many times it must turn its tables.

To have one customer order a single small beverage and tie up a table for 3-4 hours... that just isn't good business, for the shop owner, that is. For the customer, it's heaven on earth. They get hours and hours of air conditioning, perhaps some background music, electricity, and even companionship, for just the price of a drink. Even at the prices Starbucks charges for their Super Duper Grande Latte with gold flecks isn't going to cover the expenses of the physical plant.

The 'shared space' places are going to be the solution to this. More expensive than a small cappucino but their daily rates are designed for the long-stay customer. The shop owners cover their costs and still make a profit, and profit is why shops open in the first place. Someone has to pay the bills. TNSTASAFL.

Edited by FolkGuitar
  • Like 2

-Mestizo

only coffee-shop. otherwise a co-working space will become the same as my apartment in terms of bordem.

I looked at that A strange add.It is not open yet all though it claims to be.

Pun Space is a fun, friendly, and collaborative workspace. It’s not just a shared office but a

place where you can meet great new people.

Wonder what it will be like when they open?

"About Us

Pun Space is a new coworking space in

Chiang Mai (opening in March 2013), located 2 minutes from Nimman area.

"Pun" in Thai (ปัน) means "share". So Pun Space simply translates to "Shared Space".

Pun Space is a fun, friendly, and collaborative workspace. It’s not just a shared office but a

place

where you can meet great new people with mutual interest, a place where you

can

work comfortably for long hours without feeling overstay your welcome

like working in a coffee shop, and a place where you can leave your laptop to go to bathroom without fear.

Come be part of our community.

Here is my advice:

You want free with no obligations to buy anything, right?

Go and plonk yourself inside the Airport Plaza. They have nice comfortable benches in the main halls, free wifi and as a bonus you can oogle at all the beautiful girls streaming passed by the second.

There are ample coffee shops and restaurants, where you can buy a meal, snack and drinks, then once finished can go and sit outside in the halls again.

As for tables and plug in sockets for your computer, well, we can`t have everything. You could nip into the IT City, bung the guy 50 baht and ask him to charge the thing up for you?

Happy Hut. Dirt cheap, free WiFi and explicitly for people sitting there all day and working.

There seem to be lots of others too.

@Starbucks no time limit: There's a reason Starbucks has that policy - because that's the roots of Starbuck. People who make it their second living room are expected and welcomed. The hope is that you're a not a tight-ass and actually consume some stuff too. It's only fair; is it good business? Yes - it's good business in the same way that great customer service is good business. It makes people come back. It makes people go there in the first place if they just got somewhere. It creates a warm, fuzzy feeling. This is why I often go there. I don't like their coffee all that much, but I like that I can just be there, without somebody looking at a watch, getting nervous, etc.

It's the right way to do it, and for Starbucks, it's most definitely good business. You're losing money only if customers actually leave the shop for lack of room to sit, which is pretty rare. And only on those few individuals who take advantage of this on a permanent basis, which I think is also pretty rare. And you gain a lot from the good feelings generated. I think it's very clearly a net win, especially for a huge chain like Starbucks (network effect, customers in your hometown visit your shop everywhere they travel too)

Where it gets a bit out of hand at a certain SB in town is when people come and go, "reserving" their seat while they're gone. That's too much.

Edited by nikster

stay away from Ristr8o and Akha Ama ....

Great job giving away some of my favorite places to a wifi parasite- electricity free loader! Still, I'm glad you did't mention Doi Chang on Nimman, Pacamara Boutique Coffee Roasters GPS : 18.788287, 98.986711 and Cafe de l'amour Sridonchai rd 053 819 257 Mon - Sun: 8:00 am - 9:00 pm or I'm doomed!

• Like 1

Timed wifi connection, you buy a coffee you get a voucher with an individual renewable password for 30 minutes wifi, if you want to continue using wifi keep buying coffee.

Agree totally with that comment.

Curious as to why most owners don't operate that particular system...must be a reason?

Tony

Next, the OP will be asking......"which of those have a free refill !!! ?"

Seems like the OP might be a member of the ever famous "How to Live in Thailand with Just 150 bths a Day" CLUBsmile.png

• Like 2

Here is my advice:

You want free with no obligations to buy anything, right?

Go and plonk yourself inside the Airport Plaza. They have nice comfortable benches in the main halls, free wifi and as a bonus you can oogle at all the beautiful girls streaming passed by the second.

There are ample coffee shops and restaurants, where you can buy a meal, snack and drinks, then once finished can go and sit outside in the halls again.

As for tables and plug in sockets for your computer, well, we can`t have everything. You could nip into the IT City, bung the guy 50 baht and ask him to charge the thing up for you?

>>>You want free with no obligations to buy anything, right?

wrong.

Next, the OP will be asking......"which of those have a free refill !!! ?"

Seems like the OP might be a member of the ever famous "How to Live in Thailand with Just 150 bths a Day" CLUBsmile.png

I do live here spending approximately that much money per day.

3bb is free or costs 100 baht per month which is nothing. But I'm looking for a place where I use either their wifi or bb wifi. I'm not looking for free wifi because I already have it at my condo.

Edited by Maramook

Great job giving away some of my favorite places to a wifi parasite- electricity free loader! Still, I'm glad you did't mention Doi Chang on Nimman, Pacamara Boutique Coffee Roasters GPS : 18.788287, 98.986711 and Cafe de l'amour Sridonchai rd 053 819 257 Mon - Sun: 8:00 am - 9:00 pm or I'm doomed!

I came to Rist8o and it turned out that it had small tables. Actually a farang at Nimmanhemin suggested me to visit it when I asked him. You are guys lucky, I won't be working there.

But I'm going to checkout the rest of the places you mentioned.smile.png

If you live in Nimmanhaemin area make sure you don't miss the following places:

Sook Sa Than coffee
21 soi-13 Nimmanhaemin Rd
post-131333-0-94535600-1363330341_thumb.

Paiyanyai Coffee
Nimmanhaemin Road, Soi 15,
053-895232
post-131333-0-65664500-1363330330_thumb.

IMPRESSO Espresso bar
(listed in Lonely planet)
28/1 Soi 11 Nimmanhaemin Road
085 527 1324

I came to Rist8o and it turned out that it had small tables. Actually a farang at Nimmanhemin suggested me to visit it when I asked him. You are guys lucky, I won't be working there.

But I'm going to checkout the rest of the places you mentioned.smile.png

Edited by ARISTIDE
  • Like 1