Where Do Normal People Go Out?

WinnieTheKhwai

I have no trouble finding fun places to go out for a drink, however one of these days I will have to bring the Mrs. and we will need to start somewhere a little respectable for some food & drink, live music perhaps and frequented by -for lack of a better term- normal people.

[ Normal People (m/f) : Those working in some office, university and so on. Anyone not employed in tourism or nightlife, i.e. regular middle class folks. ]

Once warmed up a little I can definitely show her some of the more typical Farang-oriented nightlife. (Was thinking of taking her to a somewhat tame soi, like Soi 8) BTW it's also sad that Soi 8 is in fact rather tame these days.. years and years ago it was like going through a tornado down that way. Anyway.

• Like 1

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, Ruen Thai restaurant just off of Second Road has traditional Thai dancers and musicisans playing pretty much all night. The food is OK.

I have to believe there are some venues Thai families go to, but I don't really know any locals. Of course I would imagine they would not be down by the heavy touristy areas in Pattaya. Probably on the outskirts somewhere?

I agree with what you say about Soi 8. Used to be my favorite but now it has no character. That newer Eastiny hotel monstrosity took out a lot of small bars. Nothing against soi bukhao and LK metro areas, but those Soi 7 and Soi 8 little open bars I thought were nice. Not much street traffic, closer to the bay breeze from the water. Felt like actually being in a tropical country not being entirely surrounded by concrete.

A few off topic posts have been removed from view.

There are lots of places to visit that would fit your requirements. Try the Purple Space Monkey, Hard Rock, Gullivers, Green Tree, Moon River Pub. I like the beer garden on the right just before you enter walking street. Leo's Blues bar has a pretty regular group visiting there. Though not all would be called "normal" w00t.gif Just kidding. Leo is a great guy.

If you are looking for something to do tonight, there's a charity event at The Village on Suk and Chayiapruek for a local musician. Should be some good music to listen to and lots of others there to help support Andre and his family.

https://www.facebook.com/events/355903001189173/

Depends on a couple of things; your mobility and your budget. Nothing worse than being stuck in traffic in a crowded baht bus going to/from the pub. I think any one of the plethora of Irish-themed bars would be a fairly safe bet for a nice night without being subjected to less genteel farangs pursuing intramural acrobatics with Isaan princesses.You probably see enough of that during 'playtime' no?

Not sure whether to even bother replying to this but what the hell.

Define "normal" people? Are peolpe working in the tourism industry lower than others?

Do you consider yourself high class?

Calm yourself there. The OP knows all about the less salubrious aspects of what passes for entertainment in Pattaya. I think he is seeking a nice night out with his better half that avoids the tourist traps and fleshpots.

• Like 2

Define "normal" people? Are peolpe working in the tourism industry lower than others?

Calm yourself there. The OP knows all about the less salubrious aspects of what passes for entertainment in Pattaya. I think he is seeking a nice night out with his better half that avoids the tourist traps and fleshpots.

Indeed, its quite obvious that the Op doesn't want to take his wife somewhere she might feel uncomfortable.. Normal people is an unfortunate phrase with further implications if we try to look too deeply into its meaning, but for the sake of common sense its not difficult to understand exactly what the Op is getting at.

I'm sure many forum members may visit Pattaya at some point with their respectable other halves and wish to relax and enjoy themselves in an appropriate environment...

This thread will provide some useful information if those of a small mind can avoid blowing minor points out of proportion and derailing the thread.

My input: There is a large Open Air sea-food eatery called 'Mum Aroi' - its very popular with many Thai's and Westerns and feels like a very 'normal' place to eat.. I'd be stuck to find 'appropriate / normal' night life though..

• Like 1

I think he means the non whoring type places (until she warms up).

Then, off to Soi 6....the possibilities are endless....3 ways, 4 ways....

Hi, Yes, exactly. Note that I'm not looking for family places, fun and loud is good. Just somewhere where a group of 20/30-something office guys and girls would go when they have a birthday to celebrate, or when its end of the month payday.

Not looking for family friendly Irish pubs and the like, Or overly fancy poser places.

Good heavens, no. :-)

Anyway the usual way I would go about getting some recommendations would be to walk into a computer shop, insurance office, or anything else non tourism related and then ask a 20/30 something guy or girl where they hang on payday. That's as close to normal as I can imagine and avoids overly posh places, as well as the flesh pots.

Hard to give you all your needs in one place.

Beer Garden - Great views across the bay. Good food. Friendly place. Music vids on screen. Near enough to Walking Street for you to amble down and maybe take in a bar or two afterwards.

Shagwell Hotel on Arunothai (off Pattaya Klang) has good food, but check on the kitchen being open after 6 p.m. A quick phone call could answer that. Piped music of a sort. Plenty of tv screens (8?) if you both like sport.

Tequilla Reef - I hear the food in there is good and it is also right near Beach Road and bars with music in the soi 7/8 area.

Live Music? Head banging stuff or something a little less strenuous on the ear drums? laugh.png

Lucky Corner - corner of Soi 7. music not too loud. Spacious.

Walking along a few yards in the direction of Walking Street you have -

We are the world bar - 50 Baht a beer. Corner of soi 8. Not plush at all but an OK bar and getting busy now. Live music.

Poker Bar - also near corner of soi 8. 80 Baht a beer with live music - views over Beach road to look at the Coconut girls wink.png

Cloud 9 - behind We are the world - live music but I feel this place needs a new band. There seems to be little atmosphere and less customers each time I go.

2nd road up near BigC there are 3 or more bars with live music, Toi Bar - loud, head banging music, generally heavy rock. a small but IMHO good bar and often open until after 2 a.m.

Walking Street has a few bars with music but you will pay for it. Last I recall was 120 Baht a beer.

Walking from the Beer Garden towards Walking Street, turn left onto Pattaya Thai where you see the big screen. Bamboo bar on the right as you go up. Plenty of space for dancing and quite loud music. Expensive !!

Many more, but very few that have all you want in one bundle, so to speak.

Whatever your deviances or not, have fun w00t.gif Wait ...... You said normal people maybe I'm not qualified to speak in that instance tongue.png

Edited by pattayadingo

Hi, Yes, exactly. Note that I'm not looking for family places, fun and loud is good. Just somewhere where a group of 20/30-something office guys and girls would go when they have a birthday to celebrate, or when its end of the month payday.

Not looking for family friendly Irish pubs and the like, Or overly fancy poser places.

Cafe de beach jomtien fits this description perfectly. pop the name into google or youtube to see what I mean

• Like 1

looks like you are looking for a place that is fun for ladies and less so for gents...

Hi, Yes, exactly. Note that I'm not looking for family places, fun and loud is good. Just somewhere where a group of 20/30-something office guys and girls would go when they have a birthday to celebrate, or when its end of the month payday.Not looking for family friendly Irish pubs and the like, Or overly fancy poser places.

looks like you are looking for a place that is fun for ladies and less so for gents...

Well if there's alcohol and office ladies having a good time to look at then I'm perfectly happy. I'm easily entertained, perhaps. :-)

Try Pook House opposite the Siam Sawasdee Hotel on soi Bukhaow nice show with friendly faces wai2.gif

Good heavens, no. :-)

Anyway the usual way I would go about getting some recommendations would be to walk into a computer shop, insurance office, or anything else non tourism related and then ask a 20/30 something guy or girl where they hang on payday. That's as close to normal as I can imagine and avoids overly posh places, as well as the flesh pots.

Didn't mean to come across rudely, apologies.

I personally don't go to them but apparently Differ and maybe Hollywoods maybe what your looking for, if its Walking st then if you want music theres Hot Tuna 2, Blue Sky, Utopia and of course Blues Factory if you want to be away from the girly stuff and lady drink hassles.

smile.png

Edited by davethailand
  • Like 1

Indeed, its quite obvious that the Op doesn't want to take his wife somewhere she might feel uncomfortable.. Normal people is an unfortunate phrase with further implications if we try to look too deeply into its meaning, but for the sake of common sense its not difficult to understand exactly what the Op is getting at.

I'm sure many forum members may visit Pattaya at some point with their respectable other halves and wish to relax and enjoy themselves in an appropriate environment...

This thread will provide some useful information if those of a small mind can avoid blowing minor points out of proportion and derailing the thread.

My input: There is a large Open Air sea-food eatery called 'Mum Aroi' - its very popular with many Thai's and Westerns and feels like a very 'normal' place to eat.. I'd be stuck to find 'appropriate / normal' night life though..

Agreed Mum Aroi is a nice place,

Why would you be stuck to find appropriate/ normal nightlife though (whatever that is)

the places I mentioned can be pretty normal I think.

:)

There are lots of places to visit that would fit your requirements. Try the Purple Space Monkey, Hard Rock, Gullivers, Green Tree, Moon River Pub. I like the beer garden on the right just before you enter walking street. Leo's Blues bar has a pretty regular group visiting there. Though not all would be called "normal" w00t.gif Just kidding. Leo is a great guy.

If you are looking for something to do tonight, there's a charity event at The Village on Suk and Chayiapruek for a local musician. Should be some good music to listen to and lots of others there to help support Andre and his family.

The Andre Marshall event on facebook says 29th March not tonight???

The Andre Marshall event on facebook says 29th March not tonight???

Roops! Sorry, yes...the 29th. Got my days mixed up!!

"Normal People" don't live in Pattaya cheesy.gif

"Normal People" live in the Western World

I should have said 'Normal Thai people', but yes.

A lot of Thai people hang out in the various bars up and down 3rd road. A few nice ones where the traffic light is between Central and North Pattaya roads.

• Like 1