Honda Cb 500 X

anto

Time to change the chain and sprockets. By the time I get the change done, I will have done 28,000 km which is pretty good. A couple of links are looking kinked, it is stretched just to the red marker, the pull test at the rear point of the back sprocket has around a quarter of an inch of play and it is making the death clicking symptomatic of sticking links. Cleaning and lubing can only get you so far.

Honda quoted replacement cost : 5700 Baht. ermm.gif

Time to change the chain and sprockets. By the time I get the change done, I will have done 28,000 km which is pretty good. A couple of links are looking kinked, it is stretched just to the red marker, the pull test at the rear point of the back sprocket has around a quarter of an inch of play and it is making the death clicking symptomatic of sticking links. Cleaning and lubing can only get you so far.

i think 28,000 km for the chain / sprockets on a 500cc bike is pretty darn good....

• Like 1

i think 28,000 km for the chain / sprockets on a 500cc bike is pretty darn good....

Changed mine at 26,000 km. Cost of check up and chain/sprockets was 7,400 baht.

• Like 1

good old Thailand i say......

I generally don't accelerate too hard. I regularly adjust and lubricate the chain. So, my chains tend to last longer than the average rider. I don't know who Honda source their chains from for the CB 500X in Thailand but I would like the same again.

Compared to Brigsly, sounds like you left 1700 on the table.

Silverhawk sounds like he had some other servicing ("check up") done as well.

Of course the major cost here is the chain (4000 out of the 5700) and the cost of the chain is pretty much dictated by its strength. I am sure a cheaper chain is available but they would last for fewer kms. Hell, you could whack any old chain and sprockets on there but I shudder to think of the result of putting a CBR 150 copy chain and sprockets on the CB500. biggrin.png

Actually it would be an interesting experiment. (But on somebody else's bike, not mine!)

Compared to Brigsly, sounds like you left 1700 on the table.

25,000 km CHECK UP (Oil, Filter) PLUS chain and sprockets 7,400 baht TOTAL. Read before you comment.

• Like 1

Honda Bigwing Hua Hin - CB500X - 2016 model Launch Party - 11th Nov 2015 from 5pm to 9pm .....

The showroom is on the Petchkasem Road - as you leave Hua Hin, through the airport tunnel its on the opposite side of the road after 3 -4km - just down from the Sheriton Hotel..

The showroom wiill officially open in about 7 days time...

A few pictures i took of the bikes earlier today...

post-95864-0-93478800-1447230521_thumb.j

post-95864-0-04639800-1447230543_thumb.j

post-95864-0-37070100-1447230565_thumb.j

post-95864-0-52737600-1447230586_thumb.j

post-95864-0-13969400-1447230608_thumb.j

post-95864-0-68549400-1447230626_thumb.j

post-95864-0-47073200-1447230644_thumb.j

Edited by properperson
  • Like 1

Any other changes to the 500x apart from colour?

The "beak" has changed shape slightly too. The sales guy at Pattaya, in a strangely good mood, saying pretty much nothing had changed bar the colour and the beak. There must be a little more with all the fanfare. However no need to change a winning formula.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

There's still something very weak and toy-like about them.

think that's just the size and a small engine ,

And the spindly little chipstick forks, toothpick grips and bar, and the little toy swingarm.

They're the same size as the 650 Kwaks aren't they? Never heard them called spindly.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

This is not a reported issue with this bike. Are you giving it too much throttle and brake or being jerky, on/off with the controls? Can you be gentler? The higher riding position will exaggerate any change in momentum. Perhaps you just need to get used to the riding position or bike weight / size if you have significantly moved up or down in weight terms.

If not, as you implied, this problem is associated with incorrectly adjusted chain or an unevenly worn chain.

Thanks Briggsy - I am an experienced rider and have ridden a number of larger bikes - this one is not as smooth as its supposed to be - I nurse it to the extent of riding the clutch at slow speed (bad I know) to avoid the jerky ride - very frustrating.

Could it be a fuel - mapping- issue I wonder ? - chain does seem tight enough & brand new - it's a little hard to check adjust without a centre stand.

^^^^^ First mod on mine was a sprocket change.

The bike has a very short 1st gear.

Many change out the front 15T to a 16T.

I did the rear on mine. 41T down to 39T.

The difference from the first ride is so noticeable.

The rear sprocket I used was from a Honda NC700X (part# 41201-MGS-D70)

Available from any of the Big wing dealers @ about 1400 Baht.

Edited by Thai Chi
  • Like 1

^^^^^ First mod on mine was a sprocket change.

The bike has a very short 1st gear.

Many change out the front 15T to a 16T.

I did the rear on mine. 41T down to 39T.

The difference from the first ride is so noticeable.

The rear sprocket I used was from a Honda NC700X (part# 41201-MGS-D70)

Available from any of the Big wing dealers @ about 1400 Baht.

Thanks for that too - I will see if Big Wing will do same for me.

I bought the 2016 model CB500X - its hard to ride low speed 1st & second gear , drive train lash, jerky on off throttle.

900KMs now maybe first service at 1K will solve the problem

Chain tension seems to be OK - any ideas anyone ?

Could maybe also be a Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) issue. Maybe a TPS reset could cure the problem.

My CBR500R is not jerky at all though I usually start in second gear as first is so short.