Honda Cb 500 X

anto

Saw one yesterday for the first time and had a good walk around and look. Honestly.... it doesn't look like half the bike the versys is.

I was impressed with the CB version, so-so with the CBR version. But the CBX looked small, weak, fragile and toylike. From the plastic to the frame to the swing arm to the rear sets.

Whatever about the rest of the series in comparison to the Kawa range, the CBX looks like half the bike that the versys is.

I tried the versys and it was just too heavy and thirty otherwise nice bike however can’t imagine taking it off road..

You know you're replying to a 20 month old post?

Better late than never, eh. wink.png

Never too late. Maybe he’s figured it out for himself by now...cheesy.gif

• Like 1

Absolutely, two different cups of tea serving two different sets of drinkers, and different company direction as a whole.

My first bike was a CBR250RR, now that thing screamed! biggrin.png

I had always wanted a CBR250RR, but my life up north pretty much dictated a car. Was into them for a long time. By the time made it to Thailand, found some 250RR but being knackered as well as having monkeys wrenching on them doing Buddha knows what I decided not to bother with that idea. Add in the legality of the books and it was a shut case.

Perhaps if I could find a real new old stock NSR 150SP that would be a good little 'get stupid on' bike.

• Like 1

My 1991 Kawasaki GPZ 500 did an indicated 140 mph (225 kmh). Bikes are not the same these days. wink.png

attachicon.gifKawasaki-GPZ500S-1991.jpg

The heaviest weight for that model run is listed on Wikipedia as 185kg wet. That means it has a full 35% more power than what the A2 license allows.

Don't know how much you paid for the 1991 model, but in 2002 the Telegraph had an article that claimed it cost £4,120 (which is £5,948 in today's money). That's not a whole bunch more than the list of £5,499 of the 500X; but than again you were rolling on 16" wheels, running carbs, had no ABS, etc.

**edit**

Corrected wheel size.

Edited by dave_boo

The highest (speedo indicated) speed I have taken my Versys is about 170 kmh (two up, panniers, top box). However, my speedo's calibration is off as I have a 44 tooth rear sprocket instead of the OEM 46 tooth. On my recent ride with another Versys and a CB 500, they hit top speeds of 183 and 187 respectively (IIRC).

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry, newbie here......I'm interested in the cb500 range. What model has the highest seat for tall guys?

Thanks!

No need to be sorry for being a newbie...I still am one.

The 500X has the highest seat of the range. It also has the most travel on the front end which is really nice if the roads aren't up to snuff where you're going to be riding.

• Like 2

I've decided (After long hard thought and consideration) to buy one of these cb500x bikes.

First hurdle, apparently, I can't buy one in Chiang Rai. I have to go to Chiang Mai....No idea why, but that's what 3 different Honda Gold wing agents in Chiang Rai told me.

Seems odd that I can't order it in Chiang Rai and have it delivered to that shop. (TIT)

Secondly, this will be my first new bike. Can anyone offer any advise about running in the engine? Is it ok to drive it for a solid 3 hours from Chiang Mai to Chiang Rai?

Speeds?

Should I rest the bike at times?

Also, are all 3 colours available? (I think I want the black one)

Seems the best bike for my buck and when I tested one, I really liked it. Ticked all my boxes.

Is the price still 215?

Thanks TV!

I've decided (After long hard thought and consideration) to buy one of these cb500x bikes.

First hurdle, apparently, I can't buy one in Chiang Rai. I have to go to Chiang Mai....No idea why, but that's what 3 different Honda Gold wing agents in Chiang Rai told me.

Seems odd that I can't order it in Chiang Rai and have it delivered to that shop. (TIT)

Secondly, this will be my first new bike. Can anyone offer any advise about running in the engine? Is it ok to drive it for a solid 3 hours from Chiang Mai to Chiang Rai?

Speeds?

Seems the best bike for my buck and when I tested one, I really liked it. Ticked all my boxes.

Is the price still 215?

Thanks TV!

First; excellent choice. The X has the excellent wind protection and the best suspension for Thai roads.

The reason you have to go to Chiang Mai is that only the Honda Big Wing outlets are authorised to sell the 500cc and bigger bikes.

I ran my engine like I stole it from when I bought it. 22,000 km later and it's still purring along without issue. Just don't lug the engine i.e. keep it above 3,000 RPM at all times, and make sure to vary the speed it's running at. Don't set it at 100 or 120, but vary between 90-120 type riding.

Not sure how far it is, but you may want to plan a return trip after a week or so if you ride regular like so you can get the first service done.

Can't speak as to the stock they have; but the newest models have yellow striping on the black. If it's just a white/grey "X" on the tank and greyish "CB500X" on the tail it's an older model.

The price listed on the Big Wing website is still 215,000; make sure that you take along enough for registration and insurance.

• Like 1

Speeds?

Is the price still 215?

Thanks TV!

congrats. it is a great bike, maybe best value bike on the market now for a do it all bike.

I had a cbr500r and started riding it like i have stolen it like dave. redlined it right away after bigwing.

no problems to ride it from CM to CR and you do not need to rest it - of course you might want to rest.

just dont lug the engine, vary the speed and gears and redline it a bit. try to use every gear one by one from 1500 rpm to 7000 rpm. do some engine braking too and no constant speed.

be careful with brake pads when they are new. same for tires, dont lean aggressively. If i were you, i change the oil and oil filter at 100 km and again at 1000 km. or you can at least flush the stock oil and change the oil filter in Chiang Rai once you arrive.

matt black is my favorite if available now and yes, price is same at 214 k.

happy rides.

• Like 1

Speeds?

Is the price still 215?

Thanks TV!

First; excellent choice. The X has the excellent wind protection and the best suspension for Thai roads.

The reason you have to go to Chiang Mai is that only the Honda Big Wing outlets are authorised to sell the 500cc and bigger bikes.

I ran my engine like I stole it from when I bought it. 22,000 km later and it's still purring along without issue. Just don't lug the engine i.e. keep it above 3,000 RPM at all times, and make sure to vary the speed it's running at. Don't set it at 100 or 120, but vary between 90-120 type riding.

Not sure how far it is, but you may want to plan a return trip after a week or so if you ride regular like so you can get the first service done.

Can't speak as to the stock they have; but the newest models have yellow striping on the black. If it's just a white/grey "X" on the tank and greyish "CB500X" on the tail it's an older model.

The price listed on the Big Wing website is still 215,000; make sure that you take along enough for registration and insurance.

Excellent advise Dave, thanks!

Damn! I didn't know the colours had changed and not sure what I think about the yellow stripes on the black one. Is the colour(s) the only alteration?

Also, it's going to be annoying having to drive it to Chiang Mai every time I need it serviced, but I can accept that.

I've been trying to find some decent pics of the 2015 model. I didn't find much, but I found these links if anyone is interested in having a look and making a comment about them

I think I still prefer the black one, but not 100% sure as I was before learning about the new colours.

http://car.kapook.com/view106253.html

http://powersports.honda.com/2015/cb500x.aspx

215k for the bike (cb500x), how much is the registration and insurance going to be?

Before, I was going to buy a crf250m in Chiang Rai. After testing it I was disappointed with the lack of power, that's when I tested the cb500x and fell in love with it.

The guy in Green Wing Chiang Rai said the registration was included in the price of the crf250m.

Maybe different in Big wing Chiang Mai. . . .

215k for the bike (cb500x), how much is the registration and insurance going to be?

Before, I was going to buy a crf250m in Chiang Rai. After testing it I was disappointed with the lack of power, that's when I tested the cb500x and fell in love with it.

The guy in Green Wing Chiang Rai said the registration was included in the price of the crf250m.

Got My CB 500 x a month ago from Chiang Mai big wing and the registration and a years 1st class insurance was thrown in free. Enjoy your bike.

• Like 1

I forget how much registration was; but I got the first class insurance, as I do on all my bikes, and it was ~7K. Worth it in my book.

Got My CB 500 x a month ago from Chiang Mai big wing and the registration and a years 1st class insurance was thrown in free. Enjoy your bike.

Thanks for the pic!

How much was your exhaust and do you get much improvement in the performance from it?

Do you know a good site for mods and accessories ?

Thanks for the pic!

How much was your exhaust and do you get much improvement in the performance from it?

Do you know a good site for mods and accessories ?

Sorry couldn't help myself with the pic :-) Cost me 5300 Baht, doesn't seem to make any difference to performance but it sounds great.:-) Got mine in a shop in Chiang Mai about a 5 minute ride from big wing. Sorry couldn't tell you the name of the shop but it's down Chiang Moi road.

I forget how much registration was; but I got the first class insurance, as I do on all my bikes, and it was ~7K. Worth it in my book.

We must have got a good discount; but with my ninja and a mess of scooters it is probably to be expected.

• 5 months later...

Hi All

Just got my CB 500 X.

Where is the best place to get a top box? Seems prices are very different from one place to another.

Also what do u guys recommend? Would like the box to accommodate 2 full face helmets...Thanks for advice.

For Sale

Shad top box 40 litre. Comes with mounting rack for CB 500. 3700 baht, Original 2 keys. Tel 0899-326-716

post-80973-0-82711300-1436187833_thumb.jpost-80973-0-61383100-1436187849_thumb.jpost-80973-0-77222600-1436187863_thumb.j

• 3 months later...