Honda Cb 500 X

anto

There is a long term test here:

http://rideapart.com/2013/12/2013-honda-cb500x-long-term-update/

They only complain about 52mpg no matter how they ride it? Well that is still over 22 km/l so not too bad I think.

It seems to be a very good little bike if you are on a budget and they write it's very fun on twisted roads.

I might try one when I come home from overseas work in March month. I am a bit reluctant to shell out over 500k baht for a Ducati Hypermotard/strada if I only uses it as a toy, 200k baht sounds better but it have to be fun to ride too, that my main purpose of buying a big bike again, to get a kick so to speak, he-he.

Yeah the gear box is loud as hell. I think people sitting in the cars can hear me shifting lol. Sometimes mine slips through second into third. Need to get that looked into. Remember when i shifted from 5th to 4th but it dropped into 3rd as soon as i let go clutch my rear wheel spun out i almost lost it. Was fun but scary Sent from my HTC One using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Sounds like your gear selector isn't adjusted properly. I'd take it in to get looked it if you don't feel confident doing it yourself. Not having this done will probably increase the wear on your gearbox and you may chip a few cogs if you're not careful.

There is a long term test here:

http://rideapart.com/2013/12/2013-honda-cb500x-long-term-update/

They only complain about 52mpg no matter how they ride it? Well that is still over 22 km/l so not too bad I think.

It seems to be a very good little bike if you are on a budget and they write it's very fun on twisted roads.

I might try one when I come home from overseas work in March month. I am a bit reluctant to shell out over 500k baht for a Ducati Hypermotard/strada if I only uses it as a toy, 200k baht sounds better but it have to be fun to ride too, that my main purpose of buying a big bike again, to get a kick so to speak, he-he.

This bike is fun. lots of torque.. but of course nothing like Ducati. if you can wait, then go for the CB650F it's only 285000 baht, but huge waiting list.

The gear box really is loud as hell, that I AGREE. but I cant recall having slipped a gear..

Until now, it's been always me and my G/F on the bike, 2 people (140KG), and feels still very powerful. maybe it's just me coming from a small bike...

I tried the CB500X, is very relaxing to ride, The 500R/F can be tired sometimes.

Edited by brfsa2
  • Like 2

Yeah the gear box is loud as hell. I think people sitting in the cars can hear me shifting lol. Sometimes mine slips through second into third. Need to get that looked into. Remember when i shifted from 5th to 4th but it dropped into 3rd as soon as i let go clutch my rear wheel spun out i almost lost it. Was fun but scary Sent from my HTC One using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I think you got a lemon.

I own a CB500X.

The clutch is great as a previous poster said and relatively effortless though a constant stop - start of 0 - 30 kmh for, say, 20 minutes plus always leads to a slight ache in the left hand.

I would however absolutely not get a CB 500 X for use about Bangkok. I rode all around Bangkok for 10 years, every soi, every day and what you need in my opinion, is something lighter, with a smaller turning circle, narrower, and easier to manhandle than a CB 500 X for city traffic.

For outside the city, the CB 500 X is great and fits the bill perfectly.

Just my opinion I know others will vehemently disagree with me.

I own a CB500X.

The clutch is great as a previous poster said and relatively effortless though a constant stop - start of 0 - 30 kmh for, say, 20 minutes plus always leads to a slight ache in the left hand.

I would however absolutely not get a CB 500 X for use about Bangkok. I rode all around Bangkok for 10 years, every soi, every day and what you need in my opinion, is something lighter, with a smaller turning circle, narrower, and easier to manhandle than a CB 500 X for city traffic.

I vehemently disagree with you:rolleyes::P:D

Sent from my XT1032 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I own a CB500X.

i bought a new CB500 X when they first came out and live in Pattaya...

Its a great bike and v good value for money...

But riding around town in Pattaya ? no thanks...its too big to nip in and out of the traffic.....hard to park as a lot of the bike parking is "scooter sized" and all that changing gear and slipping the clutch saftness in stop start traffic......

God only knows what it would be like in BKK - a bleedin night mare, i'd 'ave thought....

imho...if you want a bike to wizz round BKK on, you want a small auto scooter - and that means only one thing - A PCX......

• Like 1

I own a CB500X.

i bought a new CB500 X when they first came out and live in Pattaya...

Its a great bike and v good value for money...

But riding around town in Pattaya ? no thanks...its too big to nip in and out of the traffic.....hard to park as a lot of the bike parking is "scooter sized" and all that changing gear and slipping the clutch saftness in stop start traffic......

God only knows what it would be like in BKK - a bleedin night mare, i'd 'ave thought....

imho...if you want a bike to wizz round BKK on, you want a small auto scooter - and that means only one thing - A PCX......

I totally agree that the best bike for around Bangkok is an auto scooter (had a Nouvo 135 for years) - but if like me you live in Central Bangkok and want to ride out to Hua Hin, Khao Yai etc - then you still need to get out of the city .... and this is where the 45 minutes+ of constant gear changing and 1st/2nd gear crawling between taxis and buses comes in.

On a short test ride I was impressed with the 500X in traffic - light, slim, easy to maneuver, good view over cars, easy to find neutral when stopped - but I just thought first gear was a little tall when crawling in traffic - so clutch had to be slipped almost constantly. The 700 auto has an advantage in the city - and somewhere to put your helmet too ...... but I suspect that when I finally get out of BKK it wont be as much fun as the 500?

And isn't there a 750 due soon? But I guess this will not be 350k?

Big Wing has red and matt black. I also tried the NX 700 auto. At traffic filtering speeds both bikrs are good, but 500x seems to have quite a tall first gear so clutch slipping and back brake dragging needed for very slow speed between car work. Is this what owners have found? The 700 auto feels heavier and a bit wider but is so smooth with bags of low down torque. It's more than the 500 though at 350k - but not sure what to get now. Sent from my C6902 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Are you sure the NC700X is still 350,000? I was at Bigwing Pattaya a few days ago and they told me that the price went back to the original 463,000. The discounted price was only for the motor show (incl. the whole month of November 2013). Really a pity because 350 is a very good price for that bike.

Big Wing has red and matt black. I also tried the NX 700 auto. At traffic filtering speeds both bikrs are good, but 500x seems to have quite a tall first gear so clutch slipping and back brake dragging needed for very slow speed between car work. Is this what owners have found? The 700 auto feels heavier and a bit wider but is so smooth with bags of low down torque. It's more than the 500 though at 350k - but not sure what to get now. Sent from my C6902 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Are you sure the NC700X is still 350,000? I was at Bigwing Pattaya a few days ago and they told me that the price went back to the original 463,000. The discounted price was only for the motor show (incl. the whole month of November 2013). Really a pity because 350 is a very good price for that bike.

Yes - I was in Bigwing Lat Praow at the weekend. 350k and available in April if ordered now. Cost set to go up to 450k after April. Not sure if the new price is for the 750 .... forgot to ask.

They have a second hand one for test rides. I kept waggling the fingers on my left hand trying to grab a missing clutch lever!

Can't decide between the 500x or the NC 700X.

Yes - I was in Bigwing Lat Praow at the weekend. 350k and available in April if ordered now. Cost set to go up to 450k after April. Not sure if the new price is for the 750 .... forgot to ask.

They have a second hand one for test rides. I kept waggling the fingers on my left hand trying to grab a missing clutch lever!

Reading reviews by owners of the NC700X, they all seem to be very enthusiastic about the bike. A plus side is that it is built in Japan so will have first class build quality. DCT will make it less of a chore in traffic, and by all accounts it does have some genuine off road ability rather than just dressed up to look like it has. It also has decent onboard storage. The price at the moment is great for an import. I know which I'd choose, but of course, we don't all like the same things and others would find the CB500X preferable.
  • Like 2

Wooah. very strange. Anyhow I will have a look at BW bangkok. 350,000 for the NC is a no brainer (if you can spend the pennies).

Just did the 6000 km "service" mainly to get a signature in the service book. It took them 15 minutes which included a 5 minute ride on the bike.

I noticed they had adjusted the clutch, adjusted the chain and lubricated it.

I had adjusted the chain and lubricated myself so those jobs did not need doing. They kindly returned the bike to me with the chain as taut as a bow string and some form of grease splashed all over the back tyre. They over-tightened the chain at the previous service too. This must be a special service of Pattaya Bigwing.

So that is 2 jobs they have created for me, loosening off the chain and wiping down the back tyre and I paid them for the privilege. Quite annoying really.

• Like 1

Just did the 6000 km "service" mainly to get a signature in the service book. It took them 15 minutes which included a 5 minute ride on the bike.

I noticed they had adjusted the clutch, adjusted the chain and lubricated it.

I had adjusted the chain and lubricated myself so those jobs did not need doing. They kindly returned the bike to me with the chain as taut as a bow string and some form of grease splashed all over the back tyre. They over-tightened the chain at the previous service too. This must be a special service of Pattaya Bigwing.

So that is 2 jobs they have created for me, loosening off the chain and wiping down the back tyre and I paid them for the privilege. Quite annoying really.

good to know, when my next service comes up I will do an extra check before I head home. I think they set the chain too tight expecting you can't do it yourself, so it will stay longer, obviously a serious mistake!

I think they they always assume we are morons who can't do bike maintenance.

^

lol ...if you only want the signature next time just tell them to only look at the bike and not to touch it................servicing is overrated my honda in the uk has only been in for one service at 1000 miles and thats it ,since then just do everything myself which is just plugs ,oil,water,brakes and chain etc now on 26,000 miles or about 46,000km never had a problem wring its neck every time i ride it even left it sitting for 4 years and its still just fine.15 years old now and still going strong.

So did anyone manage to activate the ABS?

Very easy on the rear brake to activate...if you're ham footed like I am. The front I haven't seen intervene yet; perhaps I'm not braking hard enough?

Experienced locking of the front wheel on this bike. Still couldn't find a explanation for it.

Very easy on the rear brake to activate...if you're ham footed like I am. The front I haven't seen intervene yet; perhaps I'm not braking hard enough?

Experienced locking of the front wheel on this bike. Still couldn't find a explanation for it.

Checked the ABS fuse? If blown than the system would not activate and you could lock the front wheel.

Checked the ABS fuse? If blown than the system would not activate and you could lock the front wheel.

ABS light would have error if there is a fuse problem. Anyone else did activate the ABS?

Just for an experiment I spent a few minutes stamping on the back brake on a slippy surface, smooth concrete used for multi storey car parks.

The back wheel did not lock, neither did it 'pulse', there was a definitive clunk (feeling not sound) followed by a feeling of metal on metal. I am guessing this was from the chain 'feedback' rather than the ABS 'feedback'. Brake pads are fine by the way, it was not caliper scraping on disc.

I put a Hepco & Becker Journey top case on my bike.

I would now like to get the back rest that goes with it. The part is shown here.

What is the chance I will find this part in Thailand? If so, where?

If not, since I am going to the UK in 2 and a half months so I will pick it up there. I think this is a much better back-up plan than taking my chances with Thai Customs.

Alternatively does anyone have any ideas for temporary solutions for the next 10 weeks or perhaps copy parts?

I have e-mailed the firm and will see what they say.

Thanks for your help.

I have tracked down the Thai importer, SG Motor Shop, and they claim to have the part. Cost at current exchange rates only £3 more expensive than buying in the UK. Delivery within Thailand is free. So I will get it here.

Thanks again.

• 11 months later...

Almost a year on from the last post...how many of us 500X riders are left?

Just an update for the last 16 months of ownership. It seems the bike averages about 24 km/l for mixed mode riding. I tried my best to see the maximum range, and sticking to 3000 RPM with very few bursts up to 4000 I managed to make it 502 km! I was impressed, the old lady wasn't as it had just started to rain as I ran out and we were 2 km past the last petrol station. She just doesn't understand how to do things simply to know the answer.

The GT1 windscreen has been great, but is starting to show its age. The frame guards have been worth their cost; a standing still drop didn't even chip the paint. The Givi Trekker panniers and top box have been nice to have; they're also very sturdy being capable of tearing the front end off a Honda Nova who stupidly pulled out without looking.

The stock Pirelli Scorpion tyres were replaced at 12,000 km. I had a pair of Rosso Corsas spooned on because I didn't want to wait for the Scorpions to come back in stock and I didn't want to pay Big Wing's price for what they had. Was a good choice as I have done much less non-paved riding.

I discovered that the rear mudguard/license plate holder either has weak plastic or overly sized holes as my license plate nuts pulled through it and the plate itself was lost somewhere north of Phitsanulok.

Needed to adjust the clutch about 16,000km as there was an unacceptable amount of play in the take up; nearly 3cm!

I'm easy on my brakes preferring to utilise engine braking and choosing a more of a steady style of riding rather than the hurry up and brake that some riders prefer (yes ll2, I'm talking about you!) so they're still good.

I've finally worn the chain down to the red replace marks on the swing arm. Going to probably get a new set of sprockets while I am at it; want to go with a little shorter gearing for city use as come August I'll be retiring the 500X from touring duties.

The seat still looks good, but the last ~6,000 km has seen a lot of use with Airhawk seat pads. Those pads are a great investment if you ride a long ways.

Barkbusters were also a good idea; they've protected my hands a couple of times I got pissed off enough to let a car run/scrape into them.

My high beam Denali D2 lights went out; trouble-shooting the problem seems to indicate that it's an issue with the relay. I'll still try to unplug/replug all the connections, but that's a pain.

Finally cranked up the preload on the rear shock. WOW! Wish I wasn't so lazy and had done this earlier. Without the pillion it really makes the bike more taut and fully loaded with pillion and full boxes gets back to about what the stock setting feels like with just me...i.e. plush enough I don't get complaints. It really is a pain to do as the left side rear set is in the way. I don't know how many I cranked it up (3?), but just went till I couldn't access the ring any more. If someone were to ask how to do it, I definitely recommend either getting it up on a centre stand and or other way to get the rear tyre fully down and DEFINITELY remove the left rear set.

i still believe, it is one of the best bikes in thailand in terms of value, fun and economy and prefer it to versys anytime.

great report dave! yep i use my brakes a lot as i like to accelerate so changing them every 5000 km and weak rear brake also does not help it - also track days.

hard to find a second hand cb500x so it looks like owners are very pleased and still bigwing sell a lot of them. i see lots of new owners riding them out of bigwing eveytime.

wondering about the new model cb500 x which i am sure will be around like two years. it will be sure better bike with an extra 5 hp.

note: sometime thinking on trading my beloved cbr650f with a cbr1000rr and getting a clean second hand cb500x for my city rides as roads are getting worse in bangkok and lots of construction sites. extra suspension travel helps, it is cheap to run and service. parts cost nothing too and it is nimble, comfy and fast enough.

Edited by ll2