Tire Burning, Law And Enforcement

Jose

Yesterday a local farmer decided to burn his heap of discarded old motorbike tires (about 80-120) that he had been accumulating on the side of his land.

Apart from the pungent black thick smoke this fire created, it eventually spread and burned down some beautiful tall and thick trees located in public land. Fire brigade took care of most of the blaze, but it later reignited and destroyed more of the local nature. Local police don't seem to be interested in dealing with this kind of vandalism.

My question:
Is there a law against the open burning of toxic material (rubber, plastic, etc)? And if so, who polices it best in CM?

Lovely.

As far as I'm aware, burning anything is against the law. However, law enforcement in Thailand is a bit of a joke, and so the burning continues regardless.

Given that the fine is 2,000 THB, it surprises me that the police don't get more involved. I guess setting up a road block is more lucrative and a lot less effort.

My advice to you would be to get the numbers for the local municipality (Teseban เทศบาล), Sub-district Administration (Or Bor Dor อ.บ.ต.), and village elder (puu yai baan ผู้ใหญ่บ้าน) and contact them (or if you don't speak Thai, have a Thai do it) to report people burning. You have to be persistent about it though, if you just call them once they will just fob you off with some excuses / try and pass the buck. It's key to play the sympathy vote with them too, tell them that you have a small child at home who has asthma and it's really affecting them badly. They're more likely to do something about it if you play on their heart strings.

Good luck.

Thanks, Keo.

My personal experience with Poo Yai Bans is that although they try to appear impartial at first glance, ultimately they always side with the locals - often they are related anyway.

And apparently if fires don't destroy personal property (i.e., houses), then there is "no real harm done", is there... because the toxic smoke just goes away.

Yeah, it's a f@cked mentality/state of affairs.

Perhaps you'd be better off trying the Teseban or Or Bor Dor, then? Any past experience with them? Where are you located btw?

I'm in Nam Prae on the canal road, and we had d*ckheads burning piles of rubbish bags (which weren't being collected) at the local cemetery recently. I put this out myself with a large watering can. Called the teseban the next day explaining that we've got a small child which really got them going and they've been collecting the rubbish ever since. So there is hope!

Don't be afraid to give the burners a bit of sh*t for what they are doing. Deep down they know it's wrong, they're just lazy.

• Like 1

Burning tires!!! Awful ! Very difficult to extinguish.

The brief discussion here begins to illustrate a general problem with political decisions and law enforcement concerning the problems with burning. As anywhere, officials at all levels come in all shades of integrity. And they do have a lot of points of view to contend with.

Some farangs are complicit in this burning too.

On the main road entering Amornevet just past Central Airport on the left ,half way along, on a corner, is one such who burns at night.
Visiting a friend there I was awakened coughing from the smoke. Wondering wherethe clouds of smoke were coming from I scanned the area to see large plumes ofsmoke emanating from his yard which has many trees with lots of leaf-fall.

Why he does not simply pile them to compost is anyone's guess.

Doing it by night shows he knows it's not on. Security go by his place almost regularly, but ....

My friend moved on eventually.

Some farangs are complicit in this burning too.

Why he does not simply pile them to compost is anyone's guess.

Probably the same reason the Thai burners don't compost them - because it's a lot more effort.

I'm not sure I'd actively look for the tessaban's help after having all my senses attacked by their loud website, but I'll try them out next time there is a problem, if I'm still alive and breathing here in San Sai.

That is a pretty dismal website! Anyway, give the Tesabaan a shot, be persistent and don't forget to throw them a sob story.

The problem with burning seems to be concentrated in the North, from what I can see. A great part of Lanna culture :(

http://www.breathecampaign.net/sign-our-petition/

http://mfuic2012.mfu.ac.th/electronic_proceeding/Documents/00_PDF/O-SC-D/O-SC-D-008.pdf

Human life v Smoke ?? Had i made the right move coming living in chiang mai ?

Depends on what you value most.

If you value your lungs, I'd say move to a small island on or near the beach.

But if sanity is your priority, then you're probably better off living in a more civilized place like CM.

• Like 1

Around our way they use tyres for burning people. Local garages and bike repair shops all dump their tyres at the local burning area's. I see them building pyres with them almost every week in the villages, first they put some wood on, then tyres, then more wood and once the 'Prasart' is put on with the coffin, they lob Petrol all over everything and bingo, up it all goes. Have to remember for the large part we are dealing with Dinosaurs !