Seeking Volunteer Work

jasperblubber2005

:o

got a question for the veterans of this site, doe's chang mai have an orphanage in town, i would like to donate some time for what ever the need is but i do need to know if chang mai has one, thanks for your help

jasper

The one I'm familiar with is Vieng Ping near Huay toong Taew lake.

http://www.familycare.org/network/p05.htm

Yeah, Wieng Ping Childrens' Home is your place. There are various things you can do, like helping with the AIDS babies, teaching English, helping with sports, etc. They also except donations of school supplies, childrens clothes and shoes, food, like cases of apples or whatever.

Very nice folks there. :D

Contact: Lek (Ms Sangduen Chailert). http://www.chiangmai-chiangrai.com/viengpi...drens_home.html.

Yes, technically you do need a Work Permit, but in all my time here, I have never heard of the law being enforced for these kinds of volunteer places. If I were you, I wouldn't worry.

Edited by Ajarn

I have been volunteering at Baan King Kaew Orphanage located at 75 Wualai Road in Chiang Mai for about a year now. The children are aged newborn to six years old after which time they go to Vieng Ping.

Although I live here and have a work permit, I see many tourists coming through that volunteer only for a couple of days. So, I don't think having a work permit is enforced.

I went to Bang King Kaew because it is in the city and since I don't have a car, Vieng Ping was a bit difficult for me to get to everyday.

I have been volunteering at Baan King Kaew Orphanage located at 75 Wualai Road in Chiang Mai for about a year now. The children are aged newborn to six years old after which time they go to Vieng Ping.

Although I live here and have a work permit, I see many tourists coming through that volunteer only for a couple of days. So, I don't think having a work permit is enforced.

I went to Bang King Kaew because it is in the city and since I don't have a car, Vieng Ping was a bit difficult for me to get to everyday.

Students from a local international school recently volunteered for a half day and donated needed items to Baan King Kaew. Here's a story from their student newspaper (.pdf), at the bottom of the front page:

http://www.nis.ac.th/news-events/nis_news_2.pdf

:o

many thanks for those of you who replied, with nothing but time on my hand i would like to do something that will make a difference and since my first trip to thailand this has always been something that i had a desire to do, again thanks

jasper

Good luck, and perhaps you can post back here your experiences.

• 1 year later...

Volunteering at the Chiang Mai Orphanage sounds good. I'm currently in the city travelling during the 5th month of a six month visit. The first three months, I actually worked as a volunteer English Teacher, helper etc at Watsrakaew Orphanage near Ayutthaya - an amazing experience I will never forget. There are well over 1200 children there, of all ages, and to see these kids making the best of their lives, the fun they make etc, is inspiring to say the least!!

Nothing like digging up an eighteen month old thread :o

True, but a good topic nonetheless, and one that bears repeating :D

I think you will find that MM was referring to a post by Loaded where he wrote "There's the Justin Dart Foundation as well. however, I recently heard they have problems as the Thai 'partner' ran off with all the money. " not the discussion about working as a volunteer.

CB

There's the Justin Dart Foundation as well. however, I recently heard they have problems as the Thai 'partner' ran off with all the money.

well, the website--especially the biography section--is completely pretentious and reeks of entitlement... god bless 'murca.

since the thai partner took the money and ran (good show, mate!), reckon that means no more lavish dinners at mi casa! :o