If You Hate Thailand, Why Live Here ?

soi41

some folks appear to despise the Thais and Thailand so much that

it makes no sense for them to remain here.

What if one despises 'Thais' but loves living in the country of 'Thailand'? huh.png

I wouldn't say that I despise 'Thais', for one it's too broad a range, but I don't like Thais that have been born and raised here, and have never left the country. I have no wont or need to socialize with them, have almost nothing in common, language barrier and cultural differences will be too much to bother, and their is no need for me try. It's their general behaviour that makes me dislike them though.

On the other hand Thailand is great for my needs. House and amenities are almost for nothing. Great for my bike riding. I like the clash of jungle hills and beaches. And I find the society to be hilarious to observe.

All those words of wisdom, from a guy after being here half a decade, (according to himself) have to ask on TV, where to buy a matress! thumbsup.gif Are you "observing" you wife as well? Oh sorry I forgot, she is different cheesy.gifcheesy.gif

• Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If You Hate Thailand, Why Live Here ?

I'm not sure, but I think cheap living and the availability of women has something to do with this. rolleyes.gif

Getting less and less cheap, so hopefully this crowd will eventually move on.

Can still get a meal in a foodcourt for 30 baht. It's got a way to go before it gets too expensive.

However, if your taste runs to expensive hotels and Gogo girls, yes, you have a problem.

• Like 1

All those words of wisdom, from a guy after being here half a decade, (according to himself) have to ask on TV, where to buy a matress! thumbsup.gif

Actually, if you were a little more wise you would see that the topic was (and is) about 'How to buy a good mattress'. (notice the spelling of 'mattress' wise one).

Yes, I've never bought one in my life and had no idea of what makes a good or bad mattress when buying one.

Anyway, as for 'observing' my wife (as you are obviously interested in her).... No need to, she's free to do whatever makes her happy. smile.png Which she's well aware of. The foundation of a great relationship. May you be half as lucky on your 'matress'. thumbsup.gif

Edited by Almera

Can still get a meal in a foodcourt for 30 baht. It's got a way to go before it gets too expensive.

How long would one have to eat their lunch and dinner in a foodcourt or street-stall on a rat infested, poo smelling soi before deciding that home is better?

Though of course not everyone can return home. Which is probably why they end up hating the country, they haven't got the funds to enjoy it.

Luckily I think the country is great, and have no need be among common Thais. Brilliant really. :)

It's clear that many of you have lost the plot. Whether it's

deliberate, I'm not sure. But let me simplify so even the most hardened

tool can understand:

Complaining about certain aspects of Thailand: OK

Insulting the Thais and Thailand: Not OK

I don't think the OP was even on about the complaining per se, but rather

that some folks appear to despise the Thais and Thailand so much that

it makes no sense for them to remain here. I am equally perplexed.

Some of the knobs on this thread have even suggested that they wanted

nothing to do with the Thais. Clearly, there are many other places on

this planet where you can go to avoid all things Thai. Yet, you choose

to live in the ONE PLACE ON THIS PLANET where the Thais congregate.

Does that make any sense?

That's what the OP is talking about.

Perhaps some of us find it easy to have minimal contact with the locals, other than our significant other,

OR, perhaps the benefits of living in a cheap and always warm country outweigh the disadvantages,

OR, perhaps some of us dislike other countries MORE than LOS,

OR, all of the above.

BTW, living in a country where an old fart like myself can go out with a girl as good looking as the ones in the Thai Kisses ad must be a definite plus when deciding where to live, if one has a choice.

• Like 1

How long would one have to eat their lunch and dinner in a foodcourt or street-stall on a rat infested, poo smelling soi before deciding that home is better?

Though of course not everyone can return home. Which is probably why they end up hating the country, they haven't got the funds to enjoy it.

Luckily I think the country is great, and have no need be among common Thais. Brilliant really. smile.png

Nothing wrong with foodcourt meals, so I don't know why you are comparing them to smelly sois. Up here, they even have sexy "beer girls" for a bit of eye candy while you eat, and live music. Better than some expensive Thai restaurants I've eaten in.

Sure beats eating in an expensive restaurant "back 'ome".

Soi41 - don't bite....every sushi bar is required to serve a little fish now and then!

I'd recommend to vent one's frustrations with the truth.

Other \wise he might go to bed and wake up with a mouth full of 'matress'.

Not healthy for anyone, that.

Nothing wrong with foodcourt meals, so I don't know why you are comparing them to smelly sois. Up here, they even have sexy "beer girls" for a bit of eye candy while you eat, and live music. Better than some expensive Thai restaurants I've eaten in.

Sure, if you're into that every night.

Personally I like dinner with my family in our house.

How long can someone be happy eating dinner in foodcourts everynight? After 2 years it might start to become a bit sad.

Sure, if you're into that every night.

Personally I like dinner with my family in our house.

How long can someone be happy eating dinner in foodcourts everynight? After 2 years it might start to become a bit sad.

Not disagreeing at all, IF one has a family.

However, when I was single, I would never have wanted to eat alone in my room, and foodcourts are a cheap way to eat and have some interesting sights while eating. Even those that don't want to make "friends" with the locals are probably as much into people watching as I, even in LOS.

I would never have wanted to eat alone in my room,

I don't think anyone, anywhere wants to eat 'alone in their room' every night.

Perhaps most people who hate Thailand live in a 'room'. Certainly not a dig at you TBL, but I think Thailand takes some money to enjoy. Living in any country away from home, alone in a room, probably isn't going to breed happiness, unless one is getting sex for the first time ever.

I think that having a nice place to live is very important to one's life. If living alone in a Condo then at least a nicely decked out 60sqm one bedroom with nice kitchen and living room, with gym and pool is important. Remember, you're not only renting the condo, you're also renting the quality of your neighbours.

I would never have wanted to eat alone in my room,

I don't think anyone, anywhere wants to eat 'alone in their room' every night.

Perhaps most people who hate Thailand live in a 'room'. Certainly not a dig at you TBL, but I think Thailand takes some money to enjoy. Living in any country away from home, alone in a room, probably isn't going to breed happiness, unless one is getting sex for the first time ever.

I think that having a nice place to live is very important to one's life. If living alone in a Condo then at least a nicely decked out 60sqm one bedroom with nice kitchen and living room, with gym and pool is important. Remember, you're not only renting the condo, you're also renting the quality of your neighbours.

Hmmmmm, sorry, but I disagree with you. Many farangs that live in LOS can not afford more than a room, even if it is a Thai style "apartment ( one large room with a balcony to cook on ).

One of the reasons that I wanted to live here, when I was working in London ( where I could only afford a room, along with thousands of workers ) was to be able to afford to live a life outside of my accomodation. So my accomodation was of little concern. Now that I'm married, that has changed, of course.

Actually, Thailand takes very little money to live in, as long as one does not think accomodation is more important than what one does.

BTW, unless one does it very badly, sex is just as enjoyable the 1,000th time as the first smile.png

• Like 1

Hmmmmm, sorry, but I disagree with you. Many farangs that live in LOS can not afford more than a room.

Absolutely. A sad state of affairs. Perhaps they end up making up the majority of the I Hate Thailand fanclub.

BTW, unless one does it very badly, sex is just as enjoyable the 1,000th time as the first smile.png

I'm sure it's better after 20 years of involuntary celibacy.

Which is also probably the case for many Westerners coming to live here alone in single rooms.

No dig at you in there mate.

Edited by Almera

It's clear that many of you have lost the plot. Whether it's

deliberate, I'm not sure. But let me simplify so even the most hardened

tool can understand:

Complaining about certain aspects of Thailand: OK

Insulting the Thais and Thailand: Not OK

I don't think the OP was even on about the complaining per se, but rather

that some folks appear to despise the Thais and Thailand so much that

it makes no sense for them to remain here. I am equally perplexed.

Some of the knobs on this thread have even suggested that they wanted

nothing to do with the Thais. Clearly, there are many other places on

this planet where you can go to avoid all things Thai. Yet, you choose

to live in the ONE PLACE ON THIS PLANET where the Thais congregate.

Does that make any sense?

That's what the OP is talking about.

Exactly right. The place to go is the Thailand News forum to understand what the OP is talking about, that is where the truly obsessive Thai bashers hang out. No matter which topic is being discussed, the same old faces will be there putting a negative slant on the story. Even if it is a topic which is positive and shows Thailand in a good light they will turn it round and put a negative spin on it. Just in the past couple of weeks we have had cartoons posted depicting Thai people as chimpanzees and neanderthals. There is a world of difference between legitimate criticism if it is warranted, and the continuous blanket dissing of Thailand and all things Thai. One of the main culprits has only been registered for barely 2 months, and already he is not far short of 1,000 posts, i would estimate at least 80% of them would be complaining about Thailand, moaning about Thailand, generally finding fault with every aspect of the country and it's people. And there are plenty more like it. It is almost as if there is a pathological need to do it.

You are correct.

Edited by chiangmaikelly

Hmmmmm, sorry, but I disagree with you. Many farangs that live in LOS can not afford more than a room.

Absolutely. A sad state of affairs. Perhaps they end up making up the majority of the I Hate Thailand fanclub.

>BTW, unless one does it very badly, sex is just as enjoyable the 1,000th time as the first smile.png

I'm sure it's better after 20 years of involuntary celibacy.

Which is also probably the case for many Westerners coming to live here alone in single rooms.

No dig at you in there mate.

No offense taken, even though I was one of them, but try 24 years of involuntary celibacy!

I grew up when "good girls" didn't, and I didn't know any "bad girls". It's a different world today.

• Like 1

All those words of wisdom, from a guy after being here half a decade, (according to himself) have to ask on TV, where to buy a matress! thumbsup.gif

Actually, if you were a little more wise you would see that the topic was (and is) about 'How to buy a good mattress'. (notice the spelling of 'mattress' wise one).

Yes, I've never bought one in my life and had no idea of what makes a good or bad mattress when buying one.

Anyway, as for 'observing' my wife (as you are obviously interested in her).... No need to, she's free to do whatever makes her happy. smile.png Which she's well aware of. The foundation of a great relationship. May you be half as lucky on your 'matress'. thumbsup.gif

Well done teacher! clap2.gif You spotted a spelling-error in a post from a non native speaker ! wai2.gif

I can't stand people who think they are superior because they have a greater education from some school that may or may not teach a broad perspective.

Silly twits who think they are better because they have more money are contemptable.

It is how we treat others around us that is important.

From someone who loves all Thai people. cheesy.gif

Pick up yer luggage from the Swampy carousel yet?

"If people can not like the Thais then I doubt if they could like anyone."

"Silly twits who think they are better because they have more money are contemptable."

:cheesy:

Edited by Almera

Have to pass on another little tid bit that happened today that again let's me know I am living in a good spot. Went to get a hair cut and a shave today from a barber I have not been to in a while. Moved out of the "big" city two years ago. Sit down and he looks a me and smiles, 'long time" I says yup, he looks again and says I saw you on T.V. a while back you teach at a local school. I says yup.

Gets me haircut and a close shave (love getting a shave, smooootthhh), get ready to leave and he says, free. No charge.

I am like what?? He says your a good man helping teach kids, no charge (all in Thai and with a respectful wai)

Love this country!

Are you sure he didn't say 'TEFLer make less money than blind beggar' with a pitiful wai?

I can't stand people who think they are superior because they have a greater education from some school that may or may not teach a broad perspective.

Silly twits who think they are better because they have more money are contemptable.

It is how we treat others around us that is important.

From someone who loves all Thai people. cheesy.gif

Pick up yer luggage from the Swampy carousel yet?

"If people can not like the Thais then I doubt if they could like anyone."

"Silly twits who think they are better because they have more money are contemptable."

cheesy.gif

I've never, ever said I love "ALL" Thais. I take everyone as an individual. There are wealthy Thais that are contemptable because they THINK they are better than everyone else. I only go by how I see humans treat other people. I don't care what race or colour they are. I don't care how much money they have or how much "school" education they have. The only thing that counts is how they treat others around them. That includes servents, employees or contemporaries.

I liked it until someone tried to steal my scooter last night.

Slightly less enamoured with the place right now.

I don't like the fact that everything comes down to money here.

We think we are targeted because we are falang but Thais are exactly the same with each other.

• Like 1

I get more pleasure from giving than I ever did from receiving.

You will enjoy Thailand then, the opportunities to give are never ending.

-

More accurately, as never-ending as the source. Bill Gates seems to be arranging things in such a way that the pleasure he derives from his philanthropy won't end anytime soon.

His methods are a valuable lesson for many here to emulate - make sure you have enough for yourself first and you'll never end up being in need of asking for handouts yourself.

But then there are those for whom the whole idea of "enough" is a foreign concept.