Large Files, Send On Internet Where?

hermespan

Yeah, I know one can subscribe to all sorts of dropbox and ftp services. But I rarely have a fast connection, plus I have computer issues. I just want to walk into a store, hand him/her a stick with multiple large files (video takes a lot of bytes) and say 'send this by email to this address' for receipt within 1 day.

Is this available in Sukhumvit area. If it is like bulk laundry (5X Khao Sarn price, though probably better) I suppose it is worth even paying for a cab to a less touristy area.

If there is a simple and cost-effective way of sending large files fast at reasonable price from a tablet or laptop I would do so (next time). Maybe video files can easily and quickly be converted to smaller space files, but I don't like the jungle of fake reviews online, I'd rather just hire an expert.

Handbrake will convert video to its smallest, but that still might not be small enough if you don't have a decent internet connection.

I'd suggest you make friends with someone who has unlimited, high speed broadband.

Even then they will need to use some kind of service. If the recipient is running an FTP Server, you can use something like FileZilla. Normally for this kind of thing, I use Yousendit.com.

Edited by Chicog

Go into any internet shop and send them yourself, about 30 baht an hour, some are cheaper.

more thaivisa interface + android hassles. my cursor won't display outside the quote box! Anyway... indeed net shops run from THB15 down small sois to 30+. Problem is not price, but speed, which is usually just OK. Sending these large files, if memory serves me correctly, takes HOURS. I am happy to pay more but I don't know of commercial net shops where the motto is 'You pay twice the price here, but our speed is three times faster than the average place and what with the lack of viruses it's actually a better deal.'

A helpful forum member pm'd me with the suggestion to use googledrive, which is integrated on my device once downloaded. However after three hours in MBK, with apparently an active signal with my AIS 3G data account, all four files failed to be sent. And instead of telling me after the first one, I got the disapointing message after all had failed.

Challenge is - I don't know if the problem was...

1. Being in shopping mall (for some duration I was seated by window)

2. Poor signal AIS

3. Time of day (Sunday afternoon)

4. Technical problem at googledrive

5. Size of files (ranged from 2.1 mb to 200 mb, must look up limits -- wouldn't it make sense to get a notice 'over limit, impossible to send' beforehand?)

And whether it will be the same later tonight on Sukhumvit. Grrr....

Again, I don't have a lot of time to accomplish this business task. Last week at 7 am ferkrisake I went into a 5-star hotel and (for a high price, but not absurdly so) had files printed and photocopied from a flashdrive. Felt great to have 100% efficiency. Now, to find that in unlimited broadband available for rent.

Again, I don't have a lot of time to accomplish this business task. Last week at 7 am ferkrisake I went into a 5-star hotel and (for a high price, but not absurdly so) had files printed and photocopied from a flashdrive. Felt great to have 100% efficiency. Now, to find that in unlimited broadband available for rent.

You had them photocopied?

Look, tell us what it is you're trying to send and how big it is. First question is "Can it be compressed?".

You had them photocopied?Look, tell us what it is you're trying to send and how big it is. First question is "Can it be compressed?".

The photocopying was a paper document, something totally different. My point was that for a simpler technology (flashdrive pdf files on a stick) at a business center price very early in the morning I was able to get topnotch service. I am looking for non-amateur (which is what I unquestionably am) service for the following...

1. I have 19 video files, .mov format, taken with an iphone

2. Their sizes vary from 2.1 to about 100 gb

3. I need to get them to someone who has all kinds of bandwidth and computer technology staff in Europe, but who has zero time. So, I have to take care of it from this end.

4. He needs to view them to make a business decision based on audio and video - the quality needn't be great, but he has to clearly see what the subject llooks like and how he sounds.

5. I am a complete mechanical and technological moron. I need to do get my boss access within 16 hours.

6. I have a decent laptop and an AIS connection plus a crappy wifi connection at my hotel (not sure which is worse)

I just wasted four hours at MBK, a non-professional who supposedly knows something at least about photography, video and computers (staff at a medium end shop, not Fotofile, but selling a name brand) offered to solve my problem for a tip. I gave him THB300 because although it took a long time, he appeared to have converted all files to .flv and compressed them into a single file as a .rar. Great, except it didn't really work. I tested the file by extracting it on my tablet and the 48 minute file it hung after five seconds. I took it back to him, saying do it right. He tave me a story I don't understand based on online translating. I don't care about the reasons - I'd rather pay three tines that - just get the job done! He redid the files as a KMP file, but now instead of being under 5 mb it is like a billion times larger -- 600 gbs or mbs, it doesn't matter. It's BIG. OK, maybe it does matter... 626665 kb [why the heck files are jeasured in kb instead of mb I do not know] The total siize is whatever tgat totak is but i am out of gattery power and am not going to do the math in 3 seconds.

My whole point was to eliminate having to have to use fancy services like dropbox or googledrive - instead conventional email, gmail has a 25 mb limit as I recall.

I am going to post a new question in photography. Videographers on the road might know better where to hire a file transfer service in Bangkok. Or I will stay up night trying to figure this out. I would like to be able to do it on my own in the future (likecin two days when I have more footafe), but time is of the essence.

Correction. It's ten digits starting with 342. The size I mean. The smaller size mentioned above was the *.rar file.

I am just looking for the kind of service (or software and I'll put in the six hours or whatever it takes to figure this out) where if this was a trucking company, another kind of mover, the question from the calm and experienced professional would just be: "How big is it, where do you want it sent - we have well-paved highways and maintained trucks for this kind of job. Leave it to us." I am not looking for long winded explanations, just service - at a price of course.

BTW, the fellow amateur returned my money. He had bitren off more than he could chew. He also converted the video files to something called *.3gp, intended for cellphone- complete garbage quality. Nice guy but he was not capable

I had some idiot filming 10 minute videos in HD to load to Youtube.

Rather than explain to him what a dick he was, I just used Handbrake to convert it to Youtube standards and it was 27Mb. Took about 10-15 minutes to upload.

Then I set his camera to the same spec.

Moral: Bin the iphone and get a cheap DV camera that will record in a nice compressed format.

I had some idiot filming 10 minute videos in HD to load to Youtube.

Rather than explain to him what a dick he was, I just used Handbrake to convert it to Youtube standards and it was 27Mb. Took about 10-15 minutes to upload.

Then I set his camera to the same spec.

Moral: Bin the iphone and get a cheap DV camera that will record in a nice compressed format.

I'd call you tactful almost. He wasn't a 'dick'. He was uninformed or lazy, like me. Your suggestion is useful. Thank you.

Handbrake will convert video to its smallest, but that still might not be small enough if you don't have a decent internet connection.

I'd suggest you make friends with someone who has unlimited, high speed broadband.

Even then they will need to use some kind of service. If the recipient is running an FTP Server, you can use something like FileZilla. Normally for this kind of thing, I use Yousendit.com.

Judging by zero results searching the handbrake site, it is not compatable with windows 8 professional, which is my operating system. But, thanks for the reminder about yousendit.

I notice that in one of your previous posts you complained that you'd tried to send a number of files but the upload had failed at the last file. If you're going to upload more than one file it's best to do them individually rather than in multiples.

• Like 1

I notice that in one of your previous posts you complained that you'd tried to send a number of files but the upload had failed at the last file. If you're going to upload more than one file it's best to do them individually rather than in multiples.

Thanks for all the helpful advice... But, I don't sew my own clothes - I go to a tailor. I don't cook my own food - I go to a restaurant. Is it impossoble to find an internet professional in Bangkok for hire? I don't mean as an inhouse corporate employee but as a freelancer. I used to be a window cleaner. I worked as an artisinal perfectionist for private clients, working hundreds of small jobs. Certainly a techie might work the same - building up a reputation as an expert in his field. It amazes me how many guys who don't expect to look after their own vehicles' maintenance and repairs take care of their own computers. I don't get it.

Edited by hermespan

I'm running handbrake on Win 8 pro at the moment.

i DOWNLOADED AND TRIED TO USE IT. iT IS NOT SIMPLE. All I need is two boxes: 'wHAT'S your present format?' 'What do you want it to be changed to?' All kinds of technical details but I don't see what I want - convert quick time to flash video format. Although I can choose from a zillion other things.

I think the main problem is the large size of the files from 2.1GB-100GB. This will take a long time to upload. As others have said, they can probably be reduced in size by converting to another format.

Problem I see is he is limited by size. His 100gb file needs to be broken into several smaller files and then reassembled at the other end. Can be done but it is time intensive process which he appears to be too impatient to have it done. It won't be done at a hotspot or some wireless connection. He'll run out of bandwidth. Mediafire which is very easy to use has a 50GB upload limit on their Pro plan. And 200MB on the cheapest plan. But what he's asking will not work for him.

There are several software programs that do everything he asks but he doesn't want to take the time to learn. And that entire process again is very time consuming. It's the file size that the problem.

There is a company that does this but for the life of me I can't recalled their name or location.

He best solution...dump everything onto a DVD and express it to the customer. Problem solved

5. I am a complete mechanical and technological moron. I need to do get my boss access within 16 hours.

Perhaps your boss sent the wrong person for the job?

I guess it would help if you gave us an overview of the entire task, from start to finish? Then people might suggest alternatives.

Did you have a plan in mind before you arrived?

Try to add as much relevant detail: camera, files, pc or mac rather than laundry prices.

And I'm still lost on the file size(s) as you seem to mention both Mega-Bytes and Giga-Bytes. ( "Size of files (ranged from 2.1 mb to 200 mb", then "Their sizes vary from 2.1 to about 100 gb") I assume MB as it would seem challenging to shoot a 100 GB video on an iPhone?

If Mega-Bytes then just use Dropbox, which offers 3 GB for free, upload the files then email the links. It couldn't simpler.

. ( "Size of files (ranged from 2.1 mb to 200 mb", then "Their sizes vary from 2.1 to about 100 gb") I assume MB as it would seem challenging to shoot a 100 GB video on an iPhone?

If Mega-Bytes then just use Dropbox, which offers 3 GB for free, upload the files then email the links. It couldn't simpler.

I would hope he means 100MB maximum upload. 100GB would be around 50 1080 compressed movies. If you use the converter I mentioned above (video to tablet) it is a simple push a button converter. Then upload to Youtube and mark as private. Supply the link information to the company and they can watch it or download it from there if they wish. Youtube has a very good uploader that keeps the pieces together if the connection is temporarily lost.

Apps like Dropbox can automatically upload your photos and videos to share with anyone as soon as you shoot and save. Just got to make sure the camera settings record at a suitable compression rate for the internet speed.

Actually, I have the free version of dropbox and have added to my free google drive by subscribing (paying) for more. The challenge with all these services is they cannot be utilized to their full potential if the net connection is poor. It takes me about five hours to upload a 100 mb video file (*.flv) of 50 minute duration to google drive. Because of my off again on again hotel wifi and the lousy connection with AIS it seems to take forever. I try both on my tablet and laptop, and it's a distraction from other work. I am an executive film producer not a technician. In my business I find people who are better at individual tasks than I posdibly could ever be.

Again, as I am not a do it yourselfer. What I seek is a professional who has more ability, time and equipment than I do.

If the internet connection is the problem and 3G, internet cafes and hotel wifi or business center is not working for you, try one of the service offices like Servcorp or Regus in BKK.

The serviced offices are not cheap but they usually have decent fixed line internet and staff who can put your files on a pc and either upload to a file sharing site or email in chunks.

Ok, if you are using for example Dropbox, do you upload the files via web interface or simply by placing the produced files to the shared directory under your Dropbox directory?

I recommend to do put the files to the Drobox directory and let the Dropbox applicatioin take care of the uploading process. This way the program can transfer the files when ever it has an internet connection. It can also continue the upload task, even if the network drops down every now and then.

If I recall correctly, Dropbox moves files as blocks and it's likely that when you upload 100MB file and the connection drops after 42MB, the progress will continue from that point on, when ever you get your connection back. This also means that when you move from one location to another, the upload process is continued automatically. If your hotel connection is really bad, then move the files to the shared Dropbox directory and goto some Coffee shop with wifi and good connection, get connected and the upload continues while you are reading your emails or browsing imgur.. thaivisa.

100MB file with 1mbps upload link should take about 800 seconds, or 13 minutes. But in reality it will take maybe double or triple of that amount, depending of the network activities.

Dropbox is a great tool to share the files.

Problem I see is he is limited by size. His 100gb file needs to be broken into several smaller files and then reassembled at the other end. Can be done but it is time intensive process which he appears to be too impatient to have it done. It won't be done at a hotspot or some wireless connection. He'll run out of bandwidth. Mediafire which is very easy to use has a 50GB upload limit on their Pro plan. And 200MB on the cheapest plan. But what he's asking will not work for him.

There are several software programs that do everything he asks but he doesn't want to take the time to learn. And that entire process again is very time consuming. It's the file size that the problem.

There is a company that does this but for the life of me I can't recalled their name or location.

He best solution...dump everything onto a DVD and express it to the customer. Problem solved

its called winrar, and it would be many dvds.

instead of faffing about here, courier the files. it is that simple. everything could have been on its way already

Edited by candypants

its called winrar, and it would be many dvds.

instead of faffing about here, courier the files. it is that simple. everything could have been on its way already

Actually it probably would have been there by now.

biggrin.png