Where In Chalong Area Can I Buy A Cheapish Charcoal Bbq?

JohnNada

Hi guys,

I am staying here in Chalong to train Muay Thai for my second six month stay. I am kinda on a budget, so to save money on meals (and as a way to get enough protein in me), I'd like to buy a cheapish (Ideally under 2000 baht) charcoal BBQ. Does anybody know the best place around the Chalong area where I could find one? Also, where is the best place to buy cheap charcoal?

Any advice would be much appreciated...

Thanks in advance

Edited by JohnNada

Or ask for directions to get to the BIG supercheap just north of phuket town. It has a massive range of thai style barbeques including the bucket type that would be very easy and convenient to store at your camp. A lot of the mom and pop stores carry charcoal. There are two varieties available...one is just the wood type...the other is in the form of small tube like bricks. Go for this second variety as it performs much better. The thai word for charcoal is pronounced.... Tarn

Most shops sell a plastic bag of Tarn for 20-25 baht. But what you need is the larger white fertilizer bag full which can be had for around 400 baht and should last you for the duration of your stay.

And finally, if you shop around at the local fresh markets...Talud Nut....you will on occasion find baby octopus for sale...Thais call them.... Woy Wai ....I highly recommend you buy some, clean them, and them in some garlic, ginger, chilli and a little oil to marinate them... and then BBQ those suckers and tell me what you think.

Oh...and a lot of the girls here that grew up on a farm (and not just the ones working in bars) will be drawn to your BBQ like moths to a light bulb.

If you have one that you are sweet on...try this simple experiment. Take her to a fancy restaurant...and then some time later...prepare a simple BBQ for her and eat it on the ground somewhere with some sticky rice and som tam. I absolutely guarantee you she will appreciate the BBQ more.

Good luck

Edited by Phronesis

Add some ginger into your diet, will help the uptake & digestion of protein - supercheap is the way to go for BBQ

Agreed - Supercheap. But he wants to spend less than 2,000 baht - a taxi/tuk-tuk will cost him that!

Another good place to try is towards Rawai and about 100 meters after the red light at Sai Yuan on your right hand side (heading towards Rawai Beach)

(right across from the entrance to Friendship Beach)

There is a market there on Tuesdays and Fridays and a fairly huge shop on the southern side of this market (open every day) that has a few different ones as well as will sell you a bag of charcoal (cheap)

Lots of cheap stuff in there.

Another good place to try is towards Rawai and about 100 meters after the red light at Sai Yuan on your right hand side (heading towards Rawai Beach)

(right across from the entrance to Friendship Beach)

There is a market there on Tuesdays and Fridays and a fairly huge shop on the southern side of this market (open every day) that has a few different ones as well as will sell you a bag of charcoal (cheap)

Lots of cheap stuff in there.

Thanks. I believe I was there yesterday in fact, stocking up on fruit to make smoothies with... I'll look out for barbeques and charcoal next time I'm there, if I don't already have it sorted by then.

There are free bbqs every night in Phuket. There is always some bar girls or bar owners birthday. Just take a ride on your bike and follow the balloons

Some of them are quite good.There used to a place called the Normandy Bar on Beach Road that put on brilliant food cheese,salami fresh breads and sushi,owned by a couple of French guys and there is a good bar in Chalong owned by Nan who always puts on excellent food.so there are some good ones out there

• 6 months later...

Or ask for directions to get to the BIG supercheap just north of phuket town. It has a massive range of thai style barbeques including the bucket type that would be very easy and convenient to store at your camp. A lot of the mom and pop stores carry charcoal. There are two varieties available...one is just the wood type...the other is in the form of small tube like bricks. Go for this second variety as it performs much better. The thai word for charcoal is pronounced.... Tarn

Most shops sell a plastic bag of Tarn for 20-25 baht. But what you need is the larger white fertilizer bag full which can be had for around 400 baht and should last you for the duration of your stay.

And finally, if you shop around at the local fresh markets...Talud Nut....you will on occasion find baby octopus for sale...Thais call them.... Woy Wai ....I highly recommend you buy some, clean them, and them in some garlic, ginger, chilli and a little oil to marinate them... and then BBQ those suckers and tell me what you think.

Oh...and a lot of the girls here that grew up on a farm (and not just the ones working in bars) will be drawn to your BBQ like moths to a light bulb.

If you have one that you are sweet on...try this simple experiment. Take her to a fancy restaurant...and then some time later...prepare a simple BBQ for her and eat it on the ground somewhere with some sticky rice and som tam. I absolutely guarantee you she will appreciate the BBQ more.

Good luck

Supercheap is no longer there!!