Demisting Problems

Front windscreen defoggers are slowly becoming more commonplace in Thai cars.. lower end B segment and pickups still lack them, a little further up the ladder and you start seeing them in models like the Focus, Pajero Sport, Teana, Camry etc.

As a general rule of thumb, you can expect models with climate control have the full-spec HVAC system, not the cut-down versions in base models.

Edited by IMHO
  • Like 1

Front windscreen defoggers are slowly becoming more commonplace in Thai cars.. lower end B segment and pickups still lack them, a little further up the ladder and you start seeing them in models like the Focus, Pajero Sport, Teana, Camry etc.

As a general rule of thumb, you can expect models with climate control have the full-spec HVAC system, not the cut-down versions in base models.

Hmm seems another reason to buy upscale second hand Euro models then?

I have only experience of misting up in the UK but not in Thailand. However, your air con will de-humidify the air. If you put it on recycle (rather than fresh air in), you should de-humidify the air in the cockpit and therefore demist the windows.

I have used this technique in the UK, however, when you turn the air con off, the windows fog up immediately...

• Like 1

Its the heather in the defogger whats missing not the defogger itself this works fine as long as tempertures are high enough.

Because the air comming from the airco is dryer when it comes out the extracted water is under your car.

The only decent solution in colder area s is to make an heath exchanger just above your cold exchanger in the system and a manual operated

valve made in the interior opening and closing this valve in the hose comming from the cilinderhead under the hood .

A handy thai can do itsmile.png

It also will give you more comfort in cold nights and mornings

I have only experience of misting up in the UK but not in Thailand. However, your air con will de-humidify the air. If you put it on recycle (rather than fresh air in), you should de-humidify the air in the cockpit and therefore demist the windows.

I have used this technique in the UK, however, when you turn the air con off, the windows fog up immediately...

Yes, that's right, use the AC. In seven years of living in Bangkok I think I've had foggy windows at most a couple of times.

The Fortuner has a demister and it's so powerful that if your not careful it will blow the carpet thingy on the dash off, even at half power it raises it by 2" sorry don't do metric. Maybe another reason to by one and not a Pajero. Only joking.

The Fortuner has a demister and it's so powerful that if your not careful it will blow the carpet thingy on the dash off, even at half power it raises it by 2" sorry don't do metric. Maybe another reason to by one and not a Pajero. Only joking.

" it will blow the carpet thingy on the dash off " Doesn't the dashboard thingy have velco strap to keep it in place?

In the UK heat from the Blower fan will demist the Windscreen.Strange as it may seem, in the heat of Thailand,cold air Blowers will demist.

The only time I've experienced a fogged up front windscreen has been at near-zero temps in Northern Thailand in December. Only a sadist would turn on the AC or open a window :)

Wooo dash protectors!

In Toyota's defence, it's not quite fair for them to have expected you'd fit an accessory from the 1980's :D

Edited by IMHO

Wooo dash protectors!

In Toyota's defence, it's not quite fair for them to have expected you'd fit an accessory from the 1980's biggrin.png

Why not, its an 1980 Hi Lux Truck, unlike the Superb Mitsu.giggle.gif

Yes had the carpet thingy fitted as a free extra I have seen what the sun can do to the dash if you don't have full tint's on the screen (I like to see at night) and it does have Velcro but I don't use it as the cleaner's like's to take it off when they clean the LIMO.

The demister work's from a push of an electric button you know they are the thing's that Toyota fit instead of those twisting knob's that the 70's Pajero has.

Now there's a thought maybe you Pajero owner's could Glue an electric fan on the dash point it onto the screen power it from the ciggy lighter 'that's of course you have one of those' some sticky tape to keep the wire in place an you'll be away got to be worth a try, might look a little tacky but at least it'll be in keeping with the rest of the car, anyway it's got to be better than the nothing you have now.

No need to thank me only to happy to help.

Edited by fredob43

Yes, that's right, use the AC. In seven years of living in Bangkok I think I've had foggy windows at most a couple of times.

Save for when it's raining, can't live without them then..

The only time I've experienced a fogged up front windscreen has been at near-zero temps in Northern Thailand in December. Only a sadist would turn on the AC or open a window smile.png

This is what the guy who spoke to me said, hence the topic.

Hmm seems another reason to buy upscale second hand Euro models then?

Love Euro cars, but I neither am the man, or have a man to fix them, so only buy new :(

Yes had the carpet thingy fitted as a free extra I have seen what the sun can do to the dash if you don't have full tint's on the screen (I like to see at night) and it does have Velcro but I don't use it as the cleaner's like's to take it off when they clean the LIMO.

The demister work's from a push of an electric button you know they are the thing's that Toyota fit instead of those twisting knob's that the 70's Pajero has.

Now there's a thought maybe you Pajero owner's could Glue an electric fan on the dash point it onto the screen power it from the ciggy lighter 'that's of course you have one of those' some sticky tape to keep the wire in place an you'll be away got to be worth a try, might look a little tacky but at least it'll be in keeping with the rest of the car, anyway it's got to be better than the nothing you have now.

LOL, you crack me up :)

Nice excuse on the dash-shag, but plastics tech has improved somewhat since the 70's and 80's and big nasty cracks really are a thing of the past now - unless it's Proton, Chery or DFM... Just fess up and admit you like it - we're all cool with whatever floats your boat ;)

As for the Pajero Sport you and Transam take any opportunity to try and bash (these are cars gents, not your hometown sports teams LOL), put it's AC into auto mode and it' will automatically balance airflow distribution between windscreen, face and feet as required. In fact, set your preferred temperature and you'll never need to touch those god-awful 70's style tiny chrome knobs and slider controls you speak of again :D

LOL, you crack me up smile.png

Nice excuse on the dash-shag, but plastics tech has improved somewhat since the 70's and 80's and big nasty cracks really are a thing of the past now - unless it's Proton, Chery or DFM... Just fess up and admit you like it - we're all cool with whatever floats your boat wink.png

As for the Pajero Sport you and Transam take any opportunity to try and bash (these are cars gents, not your hometown sports teams LOL), put it's AC into auto mode and it' will automatically balance airflow distribution between windscreen, face and feet as required. In fact, set your preferred temperature and you'll never need to touch those god-awful 70's style tiny chrome knobs and slider controls you speak of again biggrin.png

My 2004 RX8 and others even newer all have this problem and there's no way to prevent it. Mazda really screwed the pooch on the passenger side air bag cover it cracks in a perfect H pattern and until recently they didn't even offer a replacement part sad.png , only option was to order an entire, more than $300 air bag replacement until so many complained but the cover is still over $100 b'stards annoyed.gif . You'd think they'd cover their quality issues better than that but this entire car has serious issues it's not one of Mazdas better achievements over all, sad for an up rated sports car that otherwise is a nice piece of attractive & affordable engineering angry.png .. Fortunately I bought it for more recreational purposes so all it's flaws will be upgraded anyways as now it's temporarily retired and awaiting a new lease on life..

Edited by WarpSpeed

LOL, you crack me up smile.png

Nice excuse on the dash-shag, but plastics tech has improved somewhat since the 70's and 80's and big nasty cracks really are a thing of the past now - unless it's Proton, Chery or DFM... Just fess up and admit you like it - we're all cool with whatever floats your boat wink.png

As for the Pajero Sport you and Transam take any opportunity to try and bash (these are cars gents, not your hometown sports teams LOL), put it's AC into auto mode and it' will automatically balance airflow distribution between windscreen, face and feet as required. In fact, set your preferred temperature and you'll never need to touch those god-awful 70's style tiny chrome knobs and slider controls you speak of again biggrin.png

Have to own up I do like it help's keep all sort's of goodies on the dash top, without it not only does it get very hot to touch it's just a useless bit of space.

I see it's not so basic after all as it has and auto mode, do you still have to dial it up or is it button like the system in the Toyota???

I would have kept quiet but for A.O. P remark's about it having a pickup set up, anyone with the first idea of a Fortuner knows that it's nothing like that. Next he will be telling all it has leaf spring's. And a 4 speed auto box.

Ah the very Powerfull Fortuna Fan. i never used it..Perhaps they could swap Engine for demister power unit,and Fan Motor to climb hills without Black Smoke, and Paj Sports flying past. Flat as a Witches Tit compared with the Paj.Yet Toyo and Triton Utes are about equal, quite pleasant i find .giggle.gifcoffee1.gif