Rising Market Prices

ThePunPun

Just as a point of interest,, well maybe to some.

News Flash.... Market prices are going up!

Being in this business for some years now, I have built up quite a log of expense records. Today Ms G came back from the marketing {Muang Mai} and one of the items purchased was a few kilos of beef. Now understand this is Thai beef used in some of our dishes, not choice imported beef.

I was shocked to be reminded that the price of beef has gone up considerably.

For what it worth.

In the month of March 2001 you could buy a kilo of the same type beef for 100 B/P/K

There were only small increases annually and by March 2009 we were up to 125 B/P/K

Reasonable annual increases understanding that this was a period of 8 years.

In March 2010 and increase of 5 baht , now up to 130 B/H/K

But something apparently happened at this time for by

March 2011, a 30 baht increase up to 160 B/P/K

March 2012, a 40 baht increase up to 200 B/P/K

And currently March 2013, a further 20 B/P/K, up to the current 220 B/P/K

From 2001 - 2010, 9 years a more reasonable increase of 30 baht in this 9 year period

Then

From 2010 - to 2013, a 3 year period , saw a 90 baht per kilo increase in this 3 years.....

Anybody want to make any guess about what happened and why such what I consider an anomalie ???

G

As we know the normal reason for price increases is supply and demand but in thai its like prices going up in low season to compensate.

Perhaps beef sales are now so low that they still want the same return.

Its what i call cock eyed thai economics

One thing about chicken prices may be the lingering feeling/thoughts re the bird flu crisis a few years ago.....Chickens and eggs were practically being given away at Thapae Gate

But beef is the big puzzler to me

Edited by ThePunPun

The sudden surge in price could be because they stopped augmenting your "beef" with horse, or dog. smile.png

On that note, may I report that my mother is rather pleased with the recent horse meat scandals because she's realized that her sons, who she strived to bring up as Hindus, may never *really* have eaten beef after all.

T

Edited by Thakkar
  • Like 2

Pig meat price has gone up in the past few months from ~ 50bt kg to 65bt kg, at the farm gate. The high cost of husbandry and feed (rice meal) affects pork price.

Current drought conditions may see further escalation. :(

• Like 1

Pig meat price has gone up in the past few months from ~ 50bt kg to 65bt kg, at the farm gate. The high cost of husbandry and feed (rice meal) affects pork price.

Current drought conditions may see further escalation. sad.png

People eat too much meat. Higher prices might make them cut back & eat a few more veggies. smile.png

Btw I'm no vegan warrior or such. But too much meat isn't healthy.

Edited by MESmith
  • Like 1

People eat too much meat. Higher prices might make them cut back & eat a few more veggies. smile.png

My wife consumes half of Muang Mai's daily output in a sitting... though a pork bone broth doth make it taste aroi maak maak!

We're lucky to have such excellent cheap local produce available.

The sudden surge in price could be because they stopped augmenting your "beef" with horse, or dog. smile.png

On that note, may I report that my mother is rather pleased with the recent horse meat scandals because she's realized that her sons, who she strived to bring up as Hindus, may never *really* have eaten beef after all.

T

or according to coconutsbankok cat parts are showing up in those mystery sausages

While you're on prices, what's with the huge price increase of milk over the past year? From somewhere in the low 70's (shelf price 75 "promotion" price maybe 72) for 2 litres to a shelf price of 90 which means around 85 or 86?

Incidentally, don't be fooled by the packs you'll see for around 76 baht - they have sneakily reduced the contents to 1.8L.

Edited by Greenside

Quite agree, but I guess each to their own and if people feel they need meat every day it's up to them. Veg lovers can find a small 'local' market and can stock up on fruit and veg for the week for a very small price. Sometimes these local markets don't have certain things depending on the season, but if you're into green leafy stuff it's a 5 baht a time paradise all year round. The one I go to is only there Sat, Mon and Wed. On Saturday I bought loads of fruit and veg, some examples 3 med cauliflowers 20 Baht, really nice potatoes 20 baht kilo, onions, tomatoes, green beans 5 baht bag, loads of leafy veggies 5 baht bunch, 2 very big bunches bananas 50 baht, 3 pineapples 50 baht oh and some lovely flowers 20 baht. I hardly ever see a farang and I have never been charged more than anyone else. OK you don't get to listen to jazz and you sweat a bit, but it's worth it and hardly makes a dent in my budget and I will always give local people my business where possible.

Edited by uptheos

Saw a similar amount of bell peppers in Big C to that I just purchased in local market.

Local market = 25 Bt. In Big C they were 100 Bt (ouch), feel sorry for whoever paid that.

It's funny about Bell peppers, they seem to have little value in the local market, but they are an outrageous price in places like Rimping........I guess we have to cover the cost of the pepper polisher out the back. wink.png

How much of this is "charge what you can get " syndrome.

I've seen bananas cost at anywhere between 25-80 Bt for the same average bunch of gluay hom. ie the long banana looking ones.

All in the space of a few days but of course different locations.

I think the price of meat is fairly well regulated in the main markets, not so sure about the veggies etc.

Sorry, I couldn't eat Thai beef if it was free. "Once you've had black (Angus) you'll never go back." cheesy.gif

I was raised on a large wheat and cattle ranch in the western US, and I'm spoiled and know it.

In Thailand, I opt for pork or chicken. It's better for you anyway if you don't eat the fat parts.

I think Bell peppers are more expensive in Doi Kham shop like 49 bath each or something like that

Very seasonal though. There is a Doi Kham shop past the Royal Flora where they sold huge bags for very little money as recent as 3 weeks ago. (Something like 40 or 50 baht for this very big bag) Worth checking out, but supply varies.

I all but stopped going to the Ton Payom location; prices went up there after they moved to the fancy new building.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai
  • Like 1

While you're on prices, what's with the huge price increase of milk over the past year? From somewhere in the low 70's (shelf price 75 "promotion" price maybe 72) for 2 litres to a shelf price of 90 which means around 85 or 86?

Incidentally, don't be fooled by the packs you'll see for around 76 baht - they have sneakily reduced the contents to 1.8L.

Global dairy prices (wholesale raw product eg: whole milk powder, etc.) have almost doubled in the past year.

A severe drought in NZ (worst in 60 years) has seen a rise of nearly 15% in the past 2 weeks and it's likely to go higher yet.