What The Hell Is Happening At Tesco?

thenervoussurgeon

For years we have shopped there ,but lately have any of you noticed is been going downhill rapidly ,empty shelves or rows of one product to fill the gaps, we have just about stopped going there as they are always out of stuff , i hope someone in authority from there reads this because ,mate whoever does your ordering needs the sack

And there was me thinking that prices of imported goods should be cheaper as the pound has gone down so much.

More likely that only the profit margins will be higher. Unless of course you see new competitors changing the demand supply situation. The most you might get, they might further subsidise their fired egg ready meals to undercut the roadside trolley food mongers to lure the masses through the front door.

Edited by Morakot

No cause for alarm, the management and staff ot T/L have their fingers on the pulse and are well aware of whats happening at the local level.

This is nothing more than the changing face of Pattaya demographics.

All your farang food will be replaced with Russian, Indian, Chinese and Arab favourites.

Suggest you learn Russian for cornflakes, Indian for black pudding, Chinese for wholehweat digestive, and Arabic for Earl Gray.

This is a occuring event at all the hypermarkets in Thailand.

Ooops, there are only 2 hypermarket chains in Thailand, and that is what they realise.

They are just making the most profit with the least investment, knowing that people have no other choice as going to one of both, and buy what is available.

It can also be called, abuse of semi monopoly.

• Like 2

Ooops, there are only 2 hypermarket chains in Thailand, and that is what they realise.

They are just making the most profit with the least investment, knowing that people have no other choice as going to one of both, and buy what is available.

Mind you ,i must say that the Big C store on cental road is far superior in the fresh food section and their veg ect wipes the floor with Tescoes awfull produce.

Mind you ,i must say that the Big C store on cental road is far superior in the fresh food section and their veg ect wipes the floor with Tescoes awfull produce.

The grass is always greener on the other side biggrin.png

I agree they are the better of a bad lot in the fresh food if you compare them with Tesco. However it is still a joke compared to what car4 was.

For the rest their floorspace covering cooking oil, noodle soup and fish oil has also doubled in the past few months. And their foreign products are also decreasing at fast pace.Especially their own brand.

No cause for alarm, the management and staff ot T/L have their fingers on the pulse and are well aware of whats happening at the local level.

All your farang food will be replaced with Russian, Indian, Chinese and Arab favourites.

Suggest you learn Russian for cornflakes, Indian for black pudding, Chinese for wholehweat digestive, and Arabic for Earl Gray.

We should all be thankful...don't know about Russian, but Indian, Chinese, and Arabic foods on the whole are much healthier than your typical English fare...as well as allot tastier.

As for imported prices being cheaper, that would only apply to foodstuffs imported from the UK, of which I can't think of any off-hand...oh, maybe tea and some of those horse-meat lasagnas.

Edited by OMGImInPattaya
  • Like 2

We should all be thankful...don't know about Russian, but Indian, Chinese, and Arabic foods on the whole are much healthier than your typical English fare...as well as allot tastier.

As for imported prices being cheaper, that would only apply to foodstuffs imported from the UK, of which I can't think of any off-hand...oh, maybe tea and some of those horse-meat lasagnas.

Judging by some of the Thai street food available,a horse meat Lasagne would be a luxury food. And judging by the very high import duty on foodstuff,it's a wonder they sell any at all,must be the quality eh!

• Like 1

BigC Extra, by far the best supermarket in Pattaya on overall selection and quality, they are better now than when they were Carrfoure. Anyone that disagrees has not been there recently.

Tesco's is rubbish now, would not be surprised to see them pull out of Asia in the next few years

• Like 2

Probably has something to do with Tesco(Thailand) now being managed by Thai personnel,according to a recent thread only one European if employed at the head office, unlike a few years ago when they had a number of Brits there.

A few months ago I was at the official opening of one of their new stores,all the big wigs were there,giving their speeches,presentation etc,but when they actually opened the doors,all these big wigs disappeared,and according to the staff they had't even bothered to look around the store.

At my local Tesco,I have never seen the manager just walking around,looking at how his store was operating etc, it must be a Thai management thing.

I had a look at the TescoLotus website but there's no option for customer feedback, so I guess they don't care what we think. I used to shop at Tesco and would typically spend about 2,000 THB each visit. However, last time I went I only managed to spend 500 THB purely because the stuff I wanted, stuff that used to be there, wasn't there.

• Like 1

I had a look at the TescoLotus website but there's no option for customer feedback, so I guess they don't care what we think. I used to shop at Tesco and would typically spend about 2,000 THB each visit. However, last time I went I only managed to spend 500 THB purely because the stuff I wanted, stuff that used to be there, wasn't there.

For customer feedback go to TescoLotus.com select 'Eng' (if needed) then 'Help'. Fill in eMail info. or go direct to http://www.tescolotus.com/support.php?lang=en

Quite a while back I had a problem with Rayong store and sent such an eMail. The next day I received an informative response from the store manager with their personal email in quite good english. So, at that time , they were responding.

For customer feedback go to TescoLotus.com select 'Eng' (if needed) then 'Help'. Fill in eMail info. or go direct to http://www.tescolotus.com/support.php?lang=en

Quite a while back I had a problem with Rayong store and sent such an eMail. The next day I received an informative response from the store manager with their personal email in quite good english. So, at that time , they were responding.

That's useful, thanks. I'll try it. If everyone else could e-mail them as well maybe it will shake up whoever is responsible for stocking the shelves. Next time you go make a list of the things you would have bought if they were there.

Just a question: Are you talking about Tesco South Pattaya or is it also North and the Expresses?

Major reason for a lack of supply may be, that Tesco South Pattaya is the only Superstore on the way to Jomtien Beach and most visitors to J.B. for the weekend will stop there for their supplies leaving an "empty" store behind.

OK, there a BigC nearby, but it's a real pain to get there and then back on the road to Jomtien.

Just a question: Are you talking about Tesco South Pattaya or is it also North and the Expresses?

Major reason for a lack of supply may be, that Tesco South Pattaya is the only Superstore on the way to Jomtien Beach and most visitors to J.B. for the weekend will stop there for their supplies leaving an "empty" store behind.

OK, there a BigC nearby, but it's a real pain to get there and then back on the road to Jomtien.

Could be the case, but where I come from they would have factored that in after the third weekend.

• Like 1

As far as I know, TESCO/LOTUS was sold to a Japanese "Investement-Consortium" (whatever that means), some 2 years ago, if I am not mistaken.That could explain, that there is less western/british food on the shelves.

The "canned-food" shelve in rural Thailand at aTesco "Express" is strictly reduced to "fish". (No more Corned-Beef, etc.)

I must conclude, that the new japanese owners must expect a massive influx of japanese tourists into rural-thailand, that will be happy to live on canned-fish only.biggrin.png

Cheers.