Want To Change It Up In Thailand

MarkAndrewSmith

Right now I'm living in Bang Yai, but it's really boring here and my house is awesome at a great price of $120 for a two story townhouse with three rooms upstairs. But all around it's just rice fields and no other people to talk to and I moved to Thailand because of beaches and better living.

My lease is up in a few months here and I'd like to change it up.

I lived in Phuket before and moved, but I liked it there because I could travel by Motorbike and be at a great remote beach in about ten minutes but the roads were crazy, and it was expensive to live there.

I'm tempted to maybe change it up in Bangkok and do an apartment with a swimming pool and fitness center in a more exciting area or try out a coastal town, but want something that's beautiful but also affordable.

I think island life can get expensive, and want to avoid tourist traps, but also live somewhere that's beautiful and fun, but also affordable.

Any suggestions for places that I should consider in Thailand?

Bang Yai, is certainly a bit of a way out of Bangkok - although It's not a bad area at all, and I considered it as an option a few years ago. There are other options away from Bangkok. If you really like the coast, then maybe suggestions such as Hua Hin, Cha Am, Jomtiem, Ko Chang, Chantaburi / Rayong might be something to consider. They all have coastal areas, and prices are still much better than Phuket. You might need to be paying a little bit more than the current $120 a month though.

• Like 1

I keep hearing that Rayong is good. Hua Hin, I've been there before and liked it. I went to Koh Chang more east and fell in love with it. I would be curious about living on the less populated side of the island.

I lived in Phuket before and had a nice two bedroom house for about 13,000 B a month but there was no job market there at the time for teaching so I had to break that lease and move. But I really miss riding my bike for ten minutes and being at the beach.

I'm going to research some of these other suggestions.

I realize this is OT, but I am curious - what dialect does "change it up" come from? And does it usually apply to moving to a different location?

Googling implies it's Aussie and the context is usually more general self-improvement.

I have some friends that have had good experiences in Chonburi. Cheap, decent infrastructure (for Thailand anyway), not too many farangs and only a short drive to several beaches and islands. If I wasn't pleased with my current employment that's where i would be heading.

• Like 1

The MRT is coming to you soon, so it will be a few stops away from downtown Bangkok in a few years ...

That's a excellent point, $120 for rent is insanely cheap - I live in Samutprakarn and since the BTS got extended to Bearing you're right, the center of the capital becomes highly accessible. It's barely more time or money to get to Siam for 40b than it is to live quite centrally and travel from there.

I realize this is OT, but I am curious - what dialect does "change it up" come from? And does it usually apply to moving to a different location?

Googling implies it's Aussie and the context is usually more general self-improvement.

American, but I absorb other people's dialects, if I'm around them. I spent a few years with a South African with my best friend and watch a ton of BBC shows. :)

The MRT is coming to you soon, so it will be a few stops away from downtown Bangkok in a few years ...

I think Bang Yai will get a lot more attractive when the BTS is there. But that's about 5 years away from what I hear.

I don't think so . Another 2 years at most .And BTW this is not the BTS, but the MRTA .

Bang Yai is a great area to live . I live in Saudi Arabia now but previously I lived in Bang Bua Thong for many years . That area has got everything you need , it's cheap like you say . Easy to get to BKK if you want . Good air . Central Stores and all that on Rattana Thibet for shopping etc . Try Apple bar by the traffic light of Rattana Thibet and Bang Kruai Sai Noi road for 'company ' . Last time I went there they had a topless dancer on a Friday which isn't normal for that area . Reasonable priced drinks too . check out Om up bar or Opium . The thing with that area is that it is for people who live there not those who are passing through . I've got great memories of there and I'm thinking of buying a house there . I thought the train was supposed to start in 2014 . It all looks fairly built already .

Interesting that no-one mentioned the traffic in Chonburi City, or the fact that it's the centre of an industrial hub. I'm all for exploring new possibilities, but most of the expats who live there seem to be there because its close to work - they aren't there for the views.

Fact that it's easier to find a bit of work if you want it is a positive, much better (and cheaper) place to live than the BIG smoke BKK, and very easy to nick over to the beach.

Sure if you can afford to not work at all, and don't mind paying higher rents, go live right out close to nature and nearer the shore but. . .

I was teaching Engilsh and then had a good break where I didn't have to work for a bit. Now money is going down, and my Girlfriend is starting to go nuts, and not be there during the hard times. After two years. But I think that will be good for me, and I need to train myself not to jump into relationships so quickly or to move in together so fast. But I need to get better at keeping girls at an arm's length here. Mine seemed sincere but I think we both got bored of each other, and this has been a good test to see if she does care about me or is keeper material.

But I've got to move probably in the next few months. It might be easy to do the Condo in Bangkok and then start working, or a might be able to ride it out, and keep writing full time as my job.

I moved to Thailand because it was beautiful, and for self improvement reasons, and now I'm in such a boring rut. I love the country and the people are good. Just need to change it up so that I'm happy, and not give my happiness away to someone else :)

I was teaching Engilsh and then had a good break where I didn't have to work for a bit. Now money is going down, and my Girlfriend is starting to go nuts, and not be there during the hard times. After two years. But I think that will be good for me, and I need to train myself not to jump into relationships so quickly or to move in together so fast. But I need to get better at keeping girls at an arm's length here. Mine seemed sincere but I think we both got bored of each other, and this has been a good test to see if she does care about me or is keeper material.

But I've got to move probably in the next few months. It might be easy to do the Condo in Bangkok and then start working, or a might be able to ride it out, and keep writing full time as my job.

I moved to Thailand because it was beautiful, and for self improvement reasons, and now I'm in such a boring rut. I love the country and the people are good. Just need to change it up so that I'm happy, and not give my happiness away to someone else

-

From an old fart with hard-won experience - and I of course realize not all are willing or able to put these fully into practice:

Strive to ensure that your savings are always growing, never "dip into them" except when absolutely forced to, certainly not for reasons of comfort or "lifestyle" reasons. In your case bust your butt to build them back up and sure do your writing on the side, treat any income from that as extra gravy, ideally into the nest-egg emergency account rather than discretionary spending. Create a realistic financial plan for how much you need to retire - assuming high inflation, living to 100, high health-care costs for the last 30 years etc and don't stop busting your butt building your savings unless/until you get to that point.

The girl being sincere and caring for you does not at all mean she'll stick around once she perceives you're not an ideal lifetime-security-provider, the fewer generations away from experiencing real hunger the smarter she'll be about taking care of No 1 as we all should be. You have to strive to earn the right, be worthy of having the kind of partner you really want, and financial competence is a bottom-line condition - necessary but not sufficient - for most attractive females regardless of culture.

Don't just keep them at arm's length, keep them out of your home full-stop unless/until you're really sure you want this to be the mother of your children. IMO keep your play habits completely isolated from those that know you around your home and (especially) your work. Not possible in up-country areas, probably only in a handful of Thai cities. . .

No matter where you go, there you are, if you're after self-improvement, geographical cures aren't really going to change the fundamental ways you create your own life, at best an opportunity to reboot, certainly not a shortcut or cure-all.

• Like 1

That's good advice. I know most women here put the love of themselves first. It's probably sound advice for me to start following.

The simple fix might be a six month lease with a furnished apartment that has a swimming pool and fitness center and then build up again from there. I should start working here full time too just to keep things on track and I need to start saving. But having a girlfriend makes it hard haha, and it's so much cheaper to be single, or to be dating even and save a lot more money.

With the girlfriend she had a second facebook minus any photos of us together. Then she was on dating sites talking to guys like on thai friendly.

Last weekend she went told me she had a dream about her grandmother where she died, and then called and found out that her grandmother fell in the shower, so she headed to see her Grandmother for the weekend in the South of Bangkok and I see pictures of her on Facebook partying in Phuket with her friends instead.
I think because she's decent looking and female that she's looking for a knight on a white horse that's an upgrade from me, and things have gotten boring too on my end and without the sincerity there it's definitely not a relationship worth being in.
And I need the motivation as well, to be on my own and challenge myself more.
Edited by MarkAndrewSmith

Yes to all that except:

> I know most women here put the love of themselves first.

and as I said so should we all, can't really give to others unless you're secure it having it for yourself first. And in a real relationship, giving to the other is also giving to yourself and v/v, but rare to find that.
-

I need to start saving. But having a girlfriend makes it hard haha, and it's so much cheaper to be single, or to be dating even and save a lot more money.

-
I have no idea about "dating" here myself, all depends on what you're looking for.

Personally I would never be interested in a girl with any level of English, I like 'em fresh off the rice farm never been farther than the nearest main provincial town, deal directly with the family from the start, but that's me.

In that situation (and only that IMO) having a live-in can be cheaper than à la carte, but I've found it rarely turns out that way long-term, better to stick to my "mother of my children" rule above IMO.

The live-in is definitely a lot more costly. Need to train myself to not get into a relationship and just keep things simple and free. Then to take care of myself first and foremost to have a good future instead of giving it away to someone else.

I don't get it my gf is live in too but she actually brings in more then she takes out. Paying for stuff and sharing the expenses. Maybe you should just look for a different kind of girl. Usually the ones you pay for are a bit more pretty and lazy. You hit the jackpot if you find a real pretty one that pays too. But then again you need to look good, have good character and such.

• Like 1

That's ideal to find someone that shares expenses. I pay double for everything when we go out. It's the western mentality to share expenses and help each other as a couple, but here it's not easy to find that mindset, as far as I know.

I think you've won the lottery. tongue.png

Mwoah.. not sure there are girls that look a lot nicer. But then again grass is always greener on the other side and then of course i would go only for looks and a playmate int he sack. I am quite happy with the package that i got, someone what works, shares and looks ok, and is bright.

There are enough girls that share in my experience, met many while dating its not that hard. But they are a bit harder or course and wont fall for you right away as its not money talking but you.

Since 90+% of the working girls targeting farang are Isaan, some people think it improves your odds of getting a more sincere and intelligent type by excluding that group.

IMO it's just buying into the mainstream racism of the central Thai society.

But could also just be a matter of personal preference in which case up to him.

I personally love a particular phenotype mostly found in the southern provinces bordering Cambodia, classic bone structure. . .

i got one strict rule while dating in Thailand. No Esaan ladys!. im sure there are plenty of good people even i know some that are good and work hard. but i will never date one. its my rule and ill stand by to death do me part!

big mistake that , the people in Isaan have more ' namjai ' than any others . whatever works for ya though !

Right now I'm living in Bang Yai, but it's really boring here all around it's just rice fields and no other people to talk to and I moved to Thailand because of beaches and better living.

Well that explains the awesome rental price.

If you haven't lived in Bangkok then, yes, move to Bangkok if you want a change. It's a great place....but it's still Thailand. Knowing what I know now about Bangkok and in your position, move to Bangkok and don't look back for at least a year or two.