Would You Still Buy A Ford Wildtrak 3.2 In 2014

Bosscat

I placed an order in November 2012 for a Wildtrak 3.2 so based on what I see here and elsewhere I am guessing I will be lucky if I get it this year. Its a great looking vehicle and while I am eagerly awaiting it the wait is really pissing me off.

The Ford looks like its the leader of the pack at the moment but 12 months down the track (2014) that most likely wont be the case. And the order was a nominal deposit of THB3,000 so its dispensable in need.

There is nothing else that entices me on the market at the moment but I am now wondering what other options might be coming up.

Does anyone know whats due to be released over the next 12 months and into first half of 2014 in terms of major upgrades (not facelifts)?

Surely there must be a brand new Fortuner which might be a game changer.

Never owned either a Ford or Toyoata before so loyalty or expereince with either is not a decider or issue. But I need a bigger engine for towing and I do envy those who are driving around in the Ford WT 3.2 today

In this country always go with Isuzu

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 2

This one never let me downattachicon.gifdownload.jpg

Back home I had a string of Fords over probably a 20 year period, those points and condenser days thumbsup.gif . Then I wanted an estate car so I switched to Volvo. Never owned a Toyota, driven a few but thought they were boring and uncomfortable.

Moving to LOS my criteria was way different and had to be fore filled, there was only one contender and it wasn't a Ford.

Back home I had a string of Fords over probably a 20 year period, those points and condenser days thumbsup.gif . Then I wanted an estate car so I switched to Volvo. Never owned a Toyota, driven a few but thought they were boring and uncomfortable.

Moving to LOS my criteria was way different and had to be fore filled, there was only one contender and it wasn't a Ford.

The last Ford I had was a 95 5.0 Litre Mustang.

• Like 2

The last Ford I had was a 95 5.0 Litre Mustang.

My chum in UK still has a 67/8 351ci 4speed fastback..........thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

@ Wong,

So you reckon folk will travel to a main dealer during the life of their Ford truck for an oil change. ?................... rolleyes.gif.pagespeed.ce.hZ59UWKk-s.gif alt=rolleyes.gif width=20 height=20>

Why not?

I did for my last two Toyotas, 2001, and 2008 and I'll do it for my 2014 3.2 Wildtrack, don't see the problem with it.

Would I buy the Ford again? Yes

Until Toyota updates, this year or next the Ford is far the best truck I've owned in Thailand and the best small truck I've driven yet.

I've used every make and model made at work and they all blend together.

The Ford is bigger, rides better, is much quieter, has more power than my race chipped old Toyota, and has an excellent build quality.

The 3.2 is harder on fuel, if you want better economy get the 2.2. That said if they had a V8 as an option I'd buy that. I like my power.

The last Toyota I used was a 2013 fleet truck in Aus and quite frankly compared to my own 2008 it was a piece of junk. Maybe Sargents in Oz buys rejects, but I was disgusted with it. Poor quality, underpowered and If we hadn't had fleet mechanics in the camp it would have been parked half of the time.

Edited by kwonitoy
  • Like 2

Before my 3,2 Wildtrack i drove a 2006 Hi Ranger 3 liter, never had any problems, it was a reliable family member. Drove 130000 Km, and im sure it could have gone another half mill. The thing i dont understand is why the 3,2 comes without GPS like they do in Europe. Anyway smack an Iphone 5 S on the window, download Google Map and off we go.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Before my 3,2 Wildtrack i drove a 2006 Hi Ranger 3 liter, never had any problems, it was a reliable family member. Drove 130000 Km, and im sure it could have gone another half mill. The thing i dont understand is why the 3,2 comes without GPS like they do in Europe. Anyway smack an Iphone 5 S on the window, download Google Map and off we go.

The reason the 3.2 does not have a lot of the features of the Euro/Aus vehicles is because it would price itself out of the Thai market to include them.

• Like 1

I initially wanted a Ford Wildtrack. but after I found out it's an indefinite wait, I bought a Mazda BT50 Pro, 2.2l instead. It's 890k. After the rebate, it's 800k. I like driving the Mazda, sitting high and rather quiet. No problem with power going up the hill at all. After 16 months, I cocked barely 10k km. The fuel comsumption is 10.2 liters per 100 km which could improve a bit but diesel is cheaper so that's ok.

One time, I was surveyed by a company whilst stopping by a 7-11. One question was what brand would you not buy. My answer was: Ford!...Don't take order when you can't deliver. Nobody wants to buy aggravation waiting again and again!

The reason the 3.2 does not have a lot of the features of the Euro/Aus vehicles is because it would price itself out of the Thai market to include them.

Yep... Thai's don't buy 2M Baht pickups... just ask VW how many Amaroks they've sold ;)

Yep... Thai's don't buy 2M Baht pickups... just ask VW how many Amaroks they've sold wink.png

Is there one in Thailand? never seen one but I hear they exist :)

Yep... Thai's don't buy 2M Baht pickups... just ask VW how many Amaroks they've sold wink.png

Is there one in Thailand? never seen one but I hear they exist smile.png

They definitely took some orders at the show when they released it, but yeah, I've never seen one in the wild. Maybe the few owners that did buy them got sick of being stopped at *every* checkpoint? (double whammy - a pickup and a curiosity)

Ill stay away from the ford 3.2. Looks OK but fuel economy sucks and you will take a beating on the resale

Some people buy a vehicle that they enjoy driving and some people buy a Dullota because of a bizarre belief that resale value is the prime purchse criteria.

Sent from my GT-P3100 using Tapatalk

That and fuel economy. But i stated no reference to Toyota.

• Like 1

I am ready to make a decision. It's either going to be the Wildtrak 3.2 or the Isuzu 3.0 V-Cross 4x4 Z prestige series.

I test drove the Isuzu yesterday....beautiful new Chile orange color. The car is nicer inside than the Ford, bigger display, Navi (which the Ford doesn't have), and overall looks better IMO. But it's only a 5 speed auto whereas the Ford is a 6 speed auto.

However, the Ford looks nice too, bigger engine, seems to be higher off the ground which is good because it floods near my home and the Ford clearly is a winner here. Both have the rear camera. <--- Must have for me!

I've never driven the Wildtrak so I have no idea what to expect from one. The cost between the Wildtrak and V-Cross really isn't that much for me. I am a little concerned about resale value and fuel economy. The Wildtrak being a 3.2 is obviously going to guzzle more gas. Also, what is this thing about changing oil on a Wildtrak? Is it some sort of difficult task that only a dealer can do or can you have a done at your local Goodyear shop or Cockpit auto?

I'd really like some input as to which of these cars I should go with. It's a fair amount of cash. As I said, I like them both so it's a little tough. One last thing. As far as the Navi is concerned. It's not that big of an issue. The reason is I prefer the Navi in my Note 3 which allows me to navigate to a photo stored in my phone as long as it has the geo tags on it. The program is called Sygic and is REALLY handy. You set your smartphone camera to allow geo tagging to your photos. When you open up Sygic and select navigate, one of the options is "Photo from gallery." You select the photo and viola, it calculates the path. I haven't seen any feature like this on any car Navi system.

Thanks much.

• Like 2

I am ready to make a decision. It's either going to be the Wildtrak 3.2 or the Isuzu 3.0 V-Cross 4x4 Z prestige series.

I test drove the Isuzu yesterday....beautiful new Chile orange color. The car is nicer inside than the Ford, bigger display, Navi (which the Ford doesn't have), and overall looks better IMO. But it's only a 5 speed auto whereas the Ford is a 6 speed auto.

However, the Ford looks nice too, bigger engine, seems to be higher off the ground which is good because it floods near my home and the Ford clearly is a winner here. Both have the rear camera. <--- Must have for me!

I've never driven the Wildtrak so I have no idea what to expect from one. The cost between the Wildtrak and V-Cross really isn't that much for me. I am a little concerned about resale value and fuel economy. The Wildtrak being a 3.2 is obviously going to guzzle more gas. Also, what is this thing about changing oil on a Wildtrak? Is it some sort of difficult task that only a dealer can do or can you have a done at your local Goodyear shop or Cockpit auto?

I'd really like some input as to which of these cars I should go with. It's a fair amount of cash. As I said, I like them both so it's a little tough. One last thing. As far as the Navi is concerned. It's not that big of an issue. The reason is I prefer the Navi in my Note 3 which allows me to navigate to a photo stored in my phone as long as it has the geo tags on it. The program is called Sygic and is REALLY handy. You set your smartphone camera to allow geo tagging to your photos. When you open up Sygic and select navigate, one of the options is "Photo from gallery." You select the photo and viola, it calculates the path. I haven't seen any feature like this on any car Navi system.

Thanks much.

Having to rate a vehicle based on what its resale value in 'this' market will be at some later year is akin to a crap shoot or like asking who will win next year's beauty contest. More importantly, that Sygic program sounds cool. The Garmin designed GPS in my Isuzu Navi does calculate and save route paths if you input starting and destination points.

Thanks much.

Having to rate a vehicle based on what its resale value in 'this' market will be at some later year is akin to a crap shoot or like asking who will win next year's beauty contest. More importantly, that Sygic program sounds cool. The Garmin designed GPS in my Isuzu Navi does calculate and save route paths if you input starting and destination points.

I wouldn't let the navi set up be my determining factor in buying the truck. I would buy the WT all black. then some nice black rims. Sat in my friends vcross and was wowed kinda but not super wowed.

Thx Thailoht and BkkJames. You guys are correct on both accounts. My wife keeps telling me this thing about how only Isuzus and Toyotas have good resale value and how everything else sucks. That can change like the wind in Thailand, just like how I see more Thais buying cars with automatic transmissions these days compared to years.

I saw a brand new white Wildtrak this morning...3.2 L. I was like...WOW! I would have paid for it on the spot, but the dealer told me it was already ordered and paid for by a customer. I was told a one month waiting period, OR..get this...20,000 baht to him and he could have one for me by tomorrow or any day of the week via his associate in Bangkok. Not sure what to think about that. My wife seems to be more concerned about appearance than anything else, particularly when it comes to the Isuzu which in her opinion and mine does look nicer inside. That along with the new Superdaylight model and red-orange chilli paint do make it an eye catcher. Although they are both 4x4, the Isuzu still doesn't look that high off the ground. Anyone else get that impression? I mean when you look and any other make of 4x4 they definitely look like a 4x4.

I'm still interested in this oil changing thing with the Wildtrak. Anyone out there that can elaborate more on this? Also I was quoted 1,109,000 baht for the Wildtrak which includes everything, tax, insurance, etc..

Thaioloht. Here is a link to Sygic: (hope this is okay to link by admin)

http://www.sygic.com/en

Edited by Uncle Pecker

Thx Thailoht and BkkJames. You guys are correct on both accounts. My wife keeps telling me this thing about how only Isuzus and Toyotas have good resale value and how everything else sucks. That can change like the wind in Thailand, just like how I see more Thais buying cars with automatic transmissions these days compared to years.

I saw a brand new white Wildtrak this morning...3.2 L. I was like...WOW! I would have paid for it on the spot, but the dealer told me it was already ordered and paid for by a customer. I was told a one month waiting period, OR..get this...20,000 baht to him and he could have one for me by tomorrow or any day of the week via his associate in Bangkok. Not sure what to think about that. My wife seems to be more concerned about appearance than anything else, particularly when it comes to the Isuzu which in her opinion and mine does look nicer inside. That along with the new Superdaylight model and red-orange chilli paint do make it an eye catcher. Although they are both 4x4, the Isuzu still doesn't look that high off the ground. Anyone else get that impression? I mean when you look and any other make of 4x4 they definitely look like a 4x4.

I'm still interested in this oil changing thing with the Wildtrak. Anyone out there that can elaborate more on this? Also I was quoted 1,109,000 baht for the Wildtrak which includes everything, tax, insurance, etc..

Out of interest I have been trying to find out (with no luck) how they re-prime the oil pump if oil pressure has been lost......

I had a ride with a remote cleanable oil filter, which had hoses from the engine. After cleaning and reassembly there would be no oil pressure. Had to pour oil down the hose to the pump and reconnect, job done. First time I used this set up I shit myself seeing no oil pressure. w00t.gif

The oil change should cause no problem,if done by the professional within the describe time frame (10 min)....

There is not to many Wildtak 3.2's on the roads yet,but they're highly noticeable between all the 'grey' Isuzu's and...the other no-fun trucks...get what you like(!),or what your Thai wife tells you to get... tongue.pngwink.png

The oil change should cause no problem,if done by the professional within the describe time frame (10 min)....

There is not to many Wildtak 3.2's on the roads yet,but they're highly noticeable between all the 'grey' Isuzu's and...the other no-fun trucks...get what you like(!),or what your Thai wife tells you to get... tongue.pngwink.png

Thought the 2.2 and 3.2 looked the same. Are they not ?

• Like 1

Is that because many of them are stationary beside the road because of a broken down waterpump ?

• Like 1

bkkjames, on 22 Apr 2014 - 15:57, said:
Ace of Pop, on 22 Apr 2014 - 15:38, said:

Having had the missfortuna to have driven both. The Chevy Very Cross Prestige 4x4 wins by far imo. Neither have Toyotas Quality though.

re vcross and chevy, you mean in terms of noisy engine?

My Road tests are high tecbiggrin.png .I drive them to the Car Wash !! .A 50 Clic round trip The Chevs much better on the bends down the Mountain. Prefer the interior layout .Bout the Same on the Clonker Meter. Not really much difference.All id say is their both in PJS price range, and Mitsu 4x4. Like arguing Accord V Camry, it gets pointless in the end......Up To You.thumbsup.gif

I can spot the difference....you probably not... wink.png

I can spot the difference....you probably not... wink.png

What is it. ?

Is that because many of them are stationary beside the road because of a broken down waterpump ?

You're asking the wrong person...I have no problem with Ford...

BTW,how many Rangers did you actually see "stationary beside the road because of a broken down waterpump"...?!...I know,you don't have to answer...