Would You Still Buy A Ford Wildtrak 3.2 In 2014

Bosscat

I placed an order in November 2012 for a Wildtrak 3.2 so based on what I see here and elsewhere I am guessing I will be lucky if I get it this year. Its a great looking vehicle and while I am eagerly awaiting it the wait is really pissing me off.

The Ford looks like its the leader of the pack at the moment but 12 months down the track (2014) that most likely wont be the case. And the order was a nominal deposit of THB3,000 so its dispensable in need.

There is nothing else that entices me on the market at the moment but I am now wondering what other options might be coming up.

Does anyone know whats due to be released over the next 12 months and into first half of 2014 in terms of major upgrades (not facelifts)?

Surely there must be a brand new Fortuner which might be a game changer.

Never owned either a Ford or Toyoata before so loyalty or expereince with either is not a decider or issue. But I need a bigger engine for towing and I do envy those who are driving around in the Ford WT 3.2 today

By the end of this year we should be graced by an all-new Nissan Navara, with a new Hilux and Triton around mid next year.

Unlikely any of these are playing for second place wink.png

Next year we're likely to see a Nissan SUV (PPV) based on the new Navara, and in 2015 new Fortuner and Pajero Sport models.

Edited by IMHO

If the new 2014 Hilux looked anything like the Toyota Tundra in the US that would be sweet

Yep, but it's incredibly unlikely - the Tundra's styling is unique, and distinctly "Americanized" - the Hilux is a rest-of-the-world model that needs to appeal to some very un/anti American palettes.

• Like 1

If the new 2014 Hilux looked anything like the Toyota Tundra in the US that would be sweet

Yep, but it's incredibly unlikely - the Tundra's styling is unique, and distinctly "Americanized" - the Hilux is a rest-of-the-world model that needs to appeal to some very un/anti American palettes.

'very anti- American?'... they selling 'em in North Korea then?

I think you should have just stuck with the local styling argument. Loads of Chevrolet's being driven all over SE Asia. Yes, I know, they look like Noddy cars to the average American and are not built in Detroit but I seriously doubt that any car buyers are NOT buying Chevys and Fords just because they are 'American.'

Back OT; the wait list for the 3.2 is discouraging, especially for those with a real need for towing like the OP. I would hang tough as whenever it is delivered, it will still be new and maybe have some 'tweaks' that the current ones don't have.

Has anyone seen any 'previews' of the new Navarra? I have never been a Nissan fan to be honest, but I thought it was the best looking of the trucks when I had half an interest a few years back. Never drove one as most rental fleets only had variations on the Vigo and I was quite happy with them. When the new Ranger came out, I immediately got off the fence and when I saw the new BT-50, I ran to the Ford dealer with my deposit!

It will be very interesting to see if Toyota, the incumbent King of pickups, manages to revitalize the model with the big makeover. I really can't see them scoring an own goal in that regard. Styling will be important but new and more economical powerplants have a bigger say than macho grill-work and fatty tires.

Edited by NanLaew

They are very fashionable in Cambodia. Tundras are everywhere in Phnom Penh.

Very masculine looking truck but haven't met anyone anyone (anti-American or not) who didn't like the look of it.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Very masculine looking truck but haven't met anyone anyone (anti-American or not) who didn't like the look of it.

2014 has a much better grill, looks part of the ride, previous years the grill looked like an after thought.

post-41816-0-29815400-1365051374_thumb.j thumbsup.gif

2014 has a much better grill, looks part of the ride, previous years the grill looked like an after thought.

attachicon.gif2014-Toyota-Tundra-Limited-front-side-view-1024x640.jpg thumbsup.gif

OY!!!! this is a Wildtrak thread. Start your own Chundra thread laugh.png

Or should that be chunder biggrin.png

Edited by MESmith
  • Like 1

3.2 WT spotted on Koh Chang last week.

Owner has added a few extras.

very nice, what size are those rims / tires?

Sorry, didn't make a note of that info - was too concerned about hiding my "excitement" in front of the kids wub.png

edit: that was a joke, btw

Edited by MESmith

3.2 WT spotted on Koh Chang last week.

Owner has added a few extras.

very nice, what size are those rims / tires?

Sorry, didn't make a note of that info - was too concerned about hiding my "excitement" in front of the kids wub.png

edit: that was a joke, btw

Yeah, sorry mate, i thought it was your motor, nevermind.

The missus picks up the new chilli 3.2 on Tuesday and is picking me up from the airport in it on Thursday, been a looong wait but I am really glad I did not crimp at the end, I now feel like a kid on Xmas eve......

Check the paperwork regarding cc. whistling.gif ..................thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

I saw a 2.2 XLT the other day with the Wildtrak sports bar & bed rails. I wonder how much that cost to order from Ford? When I asked about the chrome bar you see in the brochure for the XLT they said 16,000 bt!!! Now will they sell me the 3.2 6 auto badge to replace the 2.2 badge for the side panel? Probably not available in chrome unless you order from Aus.....

I saw a 2.2 XLT the other day with the Wildtrak sports bar & bed rails. I wonder how much that cost to order from Ford? When I asked about the chrome bar you see in the brochure for the XLT they said 16,000 bt!!! Now will they sell me the 3.2 6 auto badge to replace the 2.2 badge for the side panel? Probably not available in chrome unless you order from Aus.....

The Wildtrak sports bar and rails is Bt.52,000.

That's almost as much as the extra cost of the Wildtrak, over a year ago when I ordered

Forget the ford genuine parts. Their snorkel is a grand 17K baht. What's a safari snorkel? Probably less than half of that..

Forget the ford genuine parts. Their snorkel is a grand 17K baht. What's a safari snorkel? Probably less than half of that..

Where do I buy an aftermarket WildTrak sports bar ?

I wouldn't be surprised if many Thais will add a 3.2 badge on a 2.2, I find it ridiculous, you might fool others but not yourself so what's the point.

I did notice a red 2.2 on Third Road Pattaya (parked there every time I pass) that now has turned into a 3.2biggrin.png

52K bath for a WT sports bar and rails, bloody hell, you can buy a good scooter for that money. I glad my WT is parked safe outside the house every night.

• Like 2

Well done in managing to hold out Mark. How long was the wait. Please let us know first impressions.

The missus picks up the new chilli 3.2 on Tuesday and is picking me up from the airport in it on Thursday, been a looong wait but I am really glad I did not crimp at the end, I now feel like a kid on Xmas eve......

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Rangers suffer from very bad turbo lag. I drove one around Pattaya for a week and found it dangerous. They struggle to pull out of a junction and when the turbo does eventually decide to kick in it launches you down the road. Great on the highway but a nightmare in town. Just my opinion.

• Like 2

Rangers suffer from very bad turbo lag. I drove one around Pattaya for a week and found it dangerous. They struggle to pull out of a junction and when the turbo does eventually decide to kick in it launches you down the road. Great on the highway but a nightmare in town. Just my opinion.

Having driven both 2.2 and 3.2 Rangers in both Manual and Auto I can only suggest you push the throttle a bit harder as all a very much OK to drive in traffic.avoid flooded soi's though.

Edited by Spoonman

To answer the question NO! I canceled my order after waiting nearly one year and I found Ford sales dismissal and

ineffective . I have ordered a BT50 3.2 at a cheaper price fully loaded and have found Mazda professional and very

customer focussed. I will be collecting it when over in Oct.

But Ford WT is a nice pickup but Ford need to change there attitude I will never spend my hard earned money with

them till they do.But I drive a Ford here in Europe different story.

To answer the question NO! I canceled my order after waiting nearly one year and I found Ford sales dismissal and

ineffective . I have ordered a BT50 3.2 at a cheaper price fully loaded and have found Mazda professional and very

customer focussed. I will be collecting it when over in Oct.

But Ford WT is a nice pickup but Ford need to change there attitude I will never spend my hard earned money with

them till they do.But I drive a Ford here in Europe different story.

When did you order it?