Bringing The Wife's Niece (Thai) To The Uk

We hope to return to the UK, from our summer visit to LOS, with my wife's niece.

It is our intention she will work in our house as an au pair/nanny for six months (or longer, if this is possible).

What documentation do we need, to ensure she has the correct visa for this length of stay in the UK?

Are there any delays in issuing this type of visa, of which we should be aware?

Are there any other requirements we need to fulfil e.g. return ticket etc.?

We, of course, will be supporting her throughout her stay.

We hope to return to the UK, from our summer visit to LOS, with my wife's niece.

It is our intention she will work in our house as an au pair/nanny for six months (or longer, if this is possible).

What documentation do we need, to ensure she has the correct visa for this length of stay in the UK?

Are there any delays in issuing this type of visa, of which we should be aware?

Are there any other requirements we need to fulfil e.g. return ticket etc.?

We, of course, will be supporting her throughout her stay.

good question mate, i would like to know the same, apart from it is my wifes sister. No point starting another topic, same question :o

I'm afraid she is not going to get a visa as an au pair; as nationals of Thailand are not eligible for entry to the United Kingdom under the au pair scheme. (For countries that are, click here.)

Getting her a visa as a nanny is also going to be very difficult. For starters you will need to show why you cannot employ a nanny from within the EU. See Guidance - Work permit holders (INF 13).

Unless you can show that your wife's niece is dependant solely on your wife and she is also under 18, getting any type of settlement visa is also out.

So, this leaves a visit visa. See Guidance - Visitors (INF 2) and Guidance - Sponsors (INF 3).

Basically she and you will need to show:

The visit is for a genuine reason. Saying that she is visiting her aunt to help out with a new baby (for example) is fine; but not if you are going to be paying her. That's employment and so she'd need a work permit.

She can be supported and accommodated for the entire duration of her stay. See the guidance notes.

She will return to Thailand, or at least leave the UK, when, or before, her visa expires. This may be the difficult one. Does she work or study? Can she get a letter from her employer/college/university confirming that a place will be available from her on her return?

This is possible, I know of one case where the wife's mother came for 6 months with a visit visa to help with a new baby, and another where it was the wife's sister. But you will need to prepare a watertight case.

GU22 is right that you won't get your niece an au pair visa and a work permit would be difficult, too.

It is possible to apply for a visa as a domestic servant, but then you would have to show that she has been in your employ in Thailand for at least a year; i.e. the embassy would expect to see the contracts, wage slips etc.

Overall, I think it's a non-starter.

Scouse.

It is possible to apply for a visa as a domestic servant, but then you would have to show that she has been in your employ in Thailand for at least a year; i.e. the embassy would expect to see the contracts, wage slips etc.
Quite, from Guidance - Overseas domestic workers (INF 17)
How do I qualify as a domestic worker in a private household?

You must be able to show evidence for the following.

You are aged between 18 and 65.

You have been working as a domestic worker in the same house as your employer for at least one year immediately before your application, or you have been working in a household that your employer uses regularly for themselves for at least one year immediately before your application, and you can show that there is a connection between you and your employer.

You intend to travel to the UK with your employer, your employer’s husband, wife, civil partner or your employer’s child who is under 18.

You intend to work full-time as a domestic worker in the same house as your employer, or in a household that the employer uses regularly for himself or herself, and you can show that there is a connection between you and your employer.

You do not intend to work in the UK except as a domestic worker.

You can support yourself and live (as confirmed by your employer) without needing help from public funds.

You are a domestic worker if you are providing a personal service linked to the running of your employer's household. Examples include chauffeurs, gardeners, cooks and nannies.

So, Thomas, unless you can provide the required evidence this route is, as Scouse says, a non-starter.

I think, though, that it is worth the investment in time and the £50 fee to apply for a visit visa. As I said, I know of two cases where this route has been successful.

Quite, from Guidance - Overseas domestic workers (INF 17)
How do I qualify as a domestic worker in a private household?

You must be able to show evidence for the following.

You are aged between 18 and 65.

You have been working as a domestic worker in the same house as your employer for at least one year immediately before your application, or you have been working in a household that your employer uses regularly for themselves for at least one year immediately before your application, and you can show that there is a connection between you and your employer.

You intend to travel to the UK with your employer, your employer’s husband, wife, civil partner or your employer’s child who is under 18.

You intend to work full-time as a domestic worker in the same house as your employer, or in a household that the employer uses regularly for himself or herself, and you can show that there is a connection between you and your employer.

You do not intend to work in the UK except as a domestic worker.

You can support yourself and live (as confirmed by your employer) without needing help from public funds.

You are a domestic worker if you are providing a personal service linked to the running of your employer's household. Examples include chauffeurs, gardeners, cooks and nannies.

So, Thomas, unless you can provide the required evidence this route is, as Scouse says, a non-starter.

I think, though, that it is worth the investment in time and the £50 fee to apply for a visit visa. As I said, I know of two cases where this route has been successful.

Thanks for the informative replies.

I wonder, could you please elucidate the sentence highlighted in red above?

I realise this may be information contained elsewhere on Thaivisa, but I feel, adding it here, could further help clarify our position regarding the OP.

Especially as it is nearly 8 years since we have had any direct involvement with visa applications from Thailand to a European country - and the first time directly from Thailand to the UK.

Edited by Thomas_Merton

By investment in time I mean the time spent preparing an application for your niece, as I posted before

See Guidance - Visitors (INF 2) and Guidance - Sponsors (INF 3)

Basically she and you will need to show:

The visit is for a genuine reason. Saying that she is visiting her aunt to help out with a new baby (for example) is fine; but not if you are going to be paying her. That's employment and so she'd need a work permit.

She can be supported and accommodated for the entire duration of her stay. See the guidance notes.

She will return to Thailand, or at least leave the UK, when, or before, her visa expires. This may be the difficult one. Does she work or study? Can she get a letter from her employer/college/university confirming that a place will be available from her on her return?

You will need to complete Application form VAF1 - non-settlement (PDF, 175K) and take it to the embassy. as it says here

Please apply for your visa in good time, especially during holiday seasons. We aim to deal with non-settlement visas on the same day, but if an interview is required this may take up to three weeks.

By £50 I mean the application fee. This is payable in baht, which at the exchange rate currently used by the embassy is 3500฿ See Entry Clearance Fees - Thai Baht Note that the fee is not refundable should the application be refused.