Name Of The Big Birds, Black And White Circling In Phuket Skies

sid1967

anybody knows the name of the big black and white birds. Impressive wingspan, seen frequently at lakes and circling in the sky.

a few species fit that bill (pardon any pun) Openbill Stork fits it extremely well... They often congregate & circle in very large numbers.

asian-openbill-bharatpur-2008.jpg

here's a

of a medium sized group's arrival in Phuket

I think they are Sea Eagles

White-bellied is possible, & are becoming scarcer in Thailand.. Osprey another possibility on the raptor front....

ball's in the OP's court, to choose his weapon.. a nice bit of ammo to play with now. ...wink.png

anybody knows the name of the big black and white birds. Impressive wingspan, seen frequently at lakes and circling in the sky.

a few species fit that bill (pardon any pun) Openbill Stork fits it extremely well... They often congregate & circle in very large numbers.

here's a

Thanks, thats the bird, i thought they almost look like storks, on occasion I have seen hundreds of them, also in the sky over my house more then 20 soaring the thermical draft, beautifull sight, glad there are still some animals alive...besides the human animal wink.png

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asian_Openbill

http://ibc.lynxeds.com/video/asian-openbill-anastomus-oscitans/bird-foraging-around-between-lotus-leaves

Edited by sid1967

Where is this on the island? All I get in my area (Rassada) are swiflets and what are either sea eagles or Brahmini Kites

I have seen them a few times in both Rawai and Nai Harn, but thought they were herons.

Where is this on the island? All I get in my area (Rassada) are swiflets and what are either sea eagles or Brahmini Kites

I have seen them a few times in both Rawai and Nai Harn, but thought they were herons.

Those would be the ones flying around Herons Monument. cheesy.gif

Sorry, couldn't resist... wai.gif

here's a

Yes, had hundreds of these circling over Nai Harn beach two weekends ago and then they all came low over the beach and headed for waters behind the lagoon. Many of the Thais were "ooooooohhhhhh, ahhhhhhhhh".