Cambodia, Rent Advice

I've been living in Thailand for several years. I rent a flat here for about $100 a month(3,000 baht). Has a fan, internet(free), and a good location. Are there apartments in Cambodia for that amount? I've tried to search for them but I'm not having much luck. Mostly the real estate places just want to sell really expensive places to well off foreigners(unfortunately I'm not in that category). You'd think it'd be a snap to find a cheap place there since it's not very developed. I'm looking for places in the $50-$100 a month range. Can't be that hard can it?

It is dependant on where in Cambodia you are looking at .

In PP you are looking at double your current rent,even in a shared house,Siem Reap and Sihanoukville are cheaper but still looking at about $150 US plus utilities and internet.

In PP most foreigners spend 250+/mo and that's for modest to average accomodations, nothing fancy. Can reduce this some if you share but no way are you going to get to under $100.

Upcountry it's different.

As to the "not developed" thing, you're rather out of date.

Sheryl; what do u base this on

In PP most foreigners spend 250+/mo and that's for modest to average accomodations, nothing fancy. Can reduce this some if you share but no way are you going to get to under $100.

Most expats i know in PP pay less than $250/month and i know lots of them. Know 4 English teachers living around the Russian market that pay 60-100 for a one room ( they all had to furnish them thou)

Plenty of places in the 150-250 range some with 2 bedrooms and semi furnished

Further u get from Riverside the cheaper the places are

Cambodia doesn't have the intense building of new apartments and condos the way, say, Chiang Mai does. Comparable rent prices are more expensive. So are utilities including internet, cable, electric, mobile phone. But yes, you can find something in your budget. Just don't expect anything too great.

IMHO your costs may be offset by the fact that consumer goods are cheaper. I don't mean groceries necessarily, but sundries, electronics, clothes, and even cars and scooters are cheaper. Anything alcohol, cigarettes, and P4P is cheaper. I don't like the P4P thing anyway, and what I saw looked pretty sleazy even in PP.

The food is about the same but you'll work at finding food as good as LOS. It's there but you have to ask around of what are called Barangs. There is a forum there with a for rent section, but I don't think it has the best deals. Everything is negotiable though. You might do better asking there. The Russian Market advice was good.

I think cost of living Cambo/Los is a push. Some more, some quite a bit less.

Good luck. I liked it for a month a couple of times, and I saw and met some stunning ladies out and about.

Edit. I forgot to say that the US dollar is pretty much the unit of exchange, and I haven't noticed as much inflation, not to say I didn't just miss it.

Edited by NeverSure

• 2 months later...

Just curious but would it be feasible to find a reasonable ( large) studio or even a small 1 bedroom apartment for around US $ 250-300 per month in PP centre, within easy walking distance of the Riverside ?

Understand utilities extra, just rent cost, part furnished for say a 6 month let.

I guess the answer is yes but unsure.

Thanks.smile.png

Yes u can in PP new a local who had a room one block from the river, hot water and AC for $100. Very small and in old building with locked gage doors getting to room. It can be done, room would not be much though.