Are Forum Members Sometimes Too Critical Of Writing?

ray23

The key is to speak to them as though they were a native English speaker. It may take a little more effort for it to sink in to them what you mean but it is more fair to them. I've started using more English with my technicians to give them exposure to "proper" English.

When I was working on my TEFL certificate the instructor made it very clear in the beginning to never modify your speech to suit the student (pidgeon English), that's what they will end up using.

I do agree, I have no problems with the techies or draftsmen. I try to speak simple but correct English to these chaps, no pidgin (BTW that IS how it is spelt [spelled]).

It's the guys digging holes who speak about as much English as I speak Thai (woefully inadequately I admit). Sometimes "No dig here, dig here (point)" is the only way to get the meaning over. Usually all the arm waving gets the message across so long as you don't lose your rag. Lots of smiles and giggles, and, just occasionally, a hole in the right place.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Incorrect use of "two, to and too", "there, their and they're" and "weather and whether" REALLY grate sad.gif

Don't you mean great ?

NO!!! I mean't GRATE which is why I wrote it :D

You did that on purpose didn't you Crossy, just to see who you could catch? :D

ABSOLUTELY :o:D:D

Oh dear. Obviously the irony in my post was lost on you people. And I was trying so hard not to add the 'unnecessary smilies' as cautioned by Morden. Perhaps they are more useful than they seem. :D:D

Oh dear. Obviously the irony in my post was lost on you people. And I was trying so hard not to add the 'unnecessary smilies' as cautioned by Morden. Perhaps they are more useful than they seem. :o:D

Never knock the humble smilie, alway there to point the meaning in the right direction :D:)

I did suspect that you were being ironic, but, well, I had to bite (and screwed it up by spelling 'meant' wrongly), been a l-o-n-g day.

All pretty light hearted anyway.

Edited by Crossy

I do agree, I have no problems with the techies or draftsmen. I try to speak simple but correct English to these chaps, no pidgin (BTW that IS how it is spelt [spelled]).

You are so right. I spelled pidgeon right, just misused it - unless there are such things as talking pidgeons. :o

What bothers me to a certain extent is sometimes IMO, people seem to believe the posts which are articulated properly and dismiss the ones which aren't grammatically correct. It has happened to me on a couple of ocasions where I have stated a fact, about my work, for instance, and someone less qualified but more articulate posts a half truth or complete false hood and that is accepted as fact.

I've noticed a lot of people post in a fashion I think is a mistake. I'm about 90% sure I'm right; English majors please correct me if I'm wrong.

I believe this sentence (in red) is incorrect but a lot of TV posters use this form:

I heard that your going to Madrid in May.

Isn't this the correct form (in blue)?

I heard that you're going to Madrid in May.

A correct sentence using the word 'your' would be: Is that your dog? I see a vast majority of TV posters using the word 'your' incorrectly.

Humbly waiting for an education if I'm wrong. :o

You're correct. :D It's a contraction for you are.

In modern standard English, "you" serves as both the nominative and oblique case. The corresponding possessive adjective is "your", and the independent possessive pronoun is "yours".

Would've thought the correct sentence to be " I have heard that you're going to Madrid in May"

or " I hear that you're going to Madrid in May". English ain't my native language so maybe somebody can explain.

Would've thought the correct sentence to be " I have heard that you're going to Madrid in May"

or " I hear that you're going to Madrid in May". English ain't my native language so maybe somebody can explain.

You are right but sometimes when we speak quickly, I have is spoken as 'i've' and to a non native it sounds like 'I'

Well now isn't this interesting, just a few hours and the original thought has disappeared.

But at least it was done with correct english writing :o

Somehow I'm not surprised.

I once knew a supervisor who wrote perfect evalautions about the personnel assigned to him, never got promoted. Why? he could never get them finished on time.

As for me I gave up on the english language a long time ago, working on Thai. Now if someone masters that one I will be impressed.

Having spent a career writing daily for twenty plus years, if I choose, I can write properly, but that was work. I'm retired now and these days I would much rather come up with a fun description of the adventures of living here. I'm to busy laughing at my experience to worry very much at all about grammer.

So for all you less then perfect writers I welcome your comments and experiences.

For those foriegn speakers who post here, I wish I could do 2% of what you do, in the Thia language. I welcome your insight and views and I don't care if you spell it correctly or not. Your experience based on your background generaly provides me with a different view of my new home I welcome it.

For those of you are perfect writers more power to you, if that is what you enjoy then by all means

continue. But, please don't ridicule others, simply because thier skills in one area of life are not as good as what you produce.

There are many brillant people in this world who don't speak, read or write english. Personally I will not insult anyone simply because they don't the fit norm of my life. How about you?

I've noticed a lot of people post in a fashion I think is a mistake. I'm about 90% sure I'm right; English majors please correct me if I'm wrong.

I believe this sentence (in red) is incorrect but a lot of TV posters use this form:

I heard that your going to Madrid in May.

Isn't this the correct form (in blue)?

I heard that you're going to Madrid in May.

A correct sentence using the word 'your' would be: Is that your dog? I see a vast majority of TV posters using the word 'your' incorrectly.

Humbly waiting for an education if I'm wrong. :D

Both of your forms are wrong. The truth is, I shall be going to Madrid in July.

Or, to put it another way:

Hey dude yous wrong coz i's goin madrd july. :D:D:o

When I write a post I diligently make sure that I have made no mistakes on it. Grammatical or spelling. Sometimes it gets past me but I correct it before my edit option goes away and other times it just escapes me but I try to proofread all my posts.

For those that make mistakes I never say anything to them. If there is a person going on and on about how smart they are though and professing to know so much, I will pay particular attention to see if they made any mistakes. If they have, I won't say anything but will discount what they write and think "what an idiot!"

Overall its not a big deal.

I also see many people misusing the difference between "your" & "you're." Another big mistake you see a lot of is when to use "to" or "too." These are quite simple words to use. It baffles me when people cannot use them properly.

Edited by TRIPxCORE

Possibly it is something that we, of advancing years, tend to notice. Although not having had the benefit of a university education, I must admit that I do not care for the modern American style, attitude towards spelling. Spelling was 'drummed' into us, in our school days, as were certain basics in arithmetic, but that is another subject! :o:D

Edited by A. BOOZER

Quote (For those that make mistakes I never say anything to them. If there is a person going on and on about how smart they are though and professing to know so much, I will pay particular attention to see if they made any mistakes. If they have, I won't say anything but will discount what they write and think "what an idiot!")

Exactly my point earlier, you would discount something I said and think 'what an idiot' if I don't write correctly and believe a person with less knowledge just because he is more articulate.

I'm a carpenter, not an author, why is my opinion less valid than someone who can write.

Edited by chippie

Possibly it is something that we, of advancing years, tend to notice. Although not having had the benefit of a university education, I must admit that I do not care for the modern American style, attitude towards spelling. Spelling was 'drummed' into us, in our school days, as were certain basics in arithmetic, but that is another subject! :o:D

Has something changed since I went to school (US)? Spelling was also 'drummed' into us as were the basics of arithmetic. Even in courses outside of the english classes and literature courses, such as history or geography, spelling corrections took place on written reports or other papers and exams. That was a few years ago but wouldn't expect it to have shifted that far outside of the past standards.

Spelling doesnt bother me. As long as i get the meaning thats fine.

I have only one gripe, people who dont use paragraphs. They have just one non stop piece of text about 300 words. Well after the first 20 i dont bother reading anymore. There are 2 or 3 posters out there at the moment that probably have very good points to make, but quite frankly i cant be arsed to plough through their posts without the correct spacing :o

When I write a post I diligently make sure that I have made no mistakes on it. Grammatical or spelling. Sometimes it gets past me but I correct it before my edit option goes away and other times it just escapes me but I try to proofread all my posts.

For those that make mistakes I never say anything to them. If there is a person going on and on about how smart they are though and professing to know so much, I will pay particular attention to see if they made any mistakes. If they have, I won't say anything but will discount what they write and think "what an idiot!"

Overall its not a big deal.

I also see many people misusing the difference between "your" & "you're." Another big mistake you see a lot of is when to use "to" or "too." These are quite simple words to use. It baffles me when people cannot use them properly.

Below is the corrected version. 2 / 10 Trìp... :o

When I write a post ,

I diligently make sure (word usage, (wu)- try finding alternatives - eg: arrange, assure, certify, cinch, clinch, confirm, effect, establish, guard, ice, insure, provide, safeguard, secure, warrant

that I have made no mistakes on it.

Grammatical or spelling. incomplete sentence Sometimes it gets past me but word usage (wu)- an improved example would be, " Sometimes it gets past me, however, ..."

I correct it before my edit option goes away and other times it just escapes me but (wu) I try to proofread all my posts.

For those that make mistakes , I never say anything to them. If there is a person going on and on about how smart they are though and professing to know so much, I will pay particular attention to see if they made any mistakes. If they have, I won't say anything but will discount what they write and think "what an idiot!" If they have, I won't say anything but will discount what they write and think , "what an idiot!"

Overall , it´ s not a big deal.

I also see many people misusing the difference between "your" & "you're." Another big mistake you see a lot of is when to use "to" or "too." These are quite simple words to use. It baffles me when people cannot use them properly. [/b]

:D:D:D:D

This is how I would correct student´s work. I can actually spell really da. n good. If I´m being relaxed amongst buddies, as I feel to be here on tv.com, ... well.. If you are out with your mates, you don´t exactly speak as one does the queen or something innit! ??

oh, although this is all meant in Jest, so is the following... I don´t discount you as an ijjit tho...

If there is a person going on and on about how smart they are though and professing to know so much, I will pay particular attention to see if they made any mistakes. If they have, I won't say anything but will discount what they write and think "what an idiot!"

Edited by kayo

won sing i noo .. i luv yoo foul long thyme :o

:D yuu wan lon thyme o yuu go shot time ?

This topic is hugh. Nothing is more important then this topic, and it is hugh!

:D

Below is the corrected version. 3/10 Ding..

Diz tupac iz hugh. na-ting iz more ´portant den dis topic, and it is hugh!

ts... you got about two words right.... :D Bambina, congratulations... 10/10Gold Star, love. :D

back off the lot of youse...that bambi woman is mine...

I gots to admit that a lot of the language used on this forum comes across as tiresome pedantry...but, you know ridicule thereof provides a lot in the way of entertainment...

why don't no one denigrate my excessive use of ellipses?...............

back off the lot of youse...that bambi woman is mine...

I gots to admit that a lot of the language used on this forum comes across as tiresome pedantry...but, you know ridicule thereof provides a lot in the way of entertainment...

why don't no one denigrate my excessive use of ellipses?...............

Gosh, we are the Chelsea set aren't we?. Or should that be, 'Are we not the Chelsea set'.

(Nothing to do with football chaps).

A large proportion of readers and writers to TV are not native English speakers therefore it is virtually impossible for them to understand the idiom and idiomatic approach to many of the posts on this forum.

For Brits who choose to use not to use their own language properly, but then ask advice on how to obtain the best result on visa application(s) for their fiancees, wives, (note: plural), or girlfriends, perchance should have to undergo a basic literacy check at the Brit Embassy?.

After all - even the Job Centre asks if you need help to fill in the forms.............

What's all this tutsiwarrior stuff anyway?. Do you have any Hutu friends?.

1. Basic typographical errors that could be picked up if the author took the trouble to check his work before posting. If someone doesn't think that what he wrote is worth checking, why should I think that it's worth reading?

2. Ambiguous statements, sometimes a sign of muddled thinking.

3. Swearing. It still offends many people and I usually assume that it is used as a means of compensating for a poor vocabulary.

4. Overuse of smilies.

Spelling is NOT import…look at the passage at the end of this posting!!!!!!!!!!!

If you are going to take part in an English language forum then you should make every effort to make yourself understood in that language. English is a particularly complicated language but it is also very forgiving.

When we meet someone face to face, we make many judgements about that person, both conscious and unconscious. We are affected by the way they dress, how and where they stand (e.g. too close) the way they speak is a most important factor, their tone, stress and rhythm all tell us about the meaning of what they are saying and even about their personal background - education, nationality, region etc..

When you write in a forum, none can see you; there are very few other factors that can be used to place you or help to convey your meaning. So the way you write is like the way you dress or the way you speak, it is an important factor in how your opinion will be assessed by any reader.

To this end it would seem that any poster who fills his posting with blunders and elementary errors is less likely to have his opinion respected, and is presenting an image of someone who is illiterate and unable to express a valid opinion. The content will be masked by this if it is visible at all in the first place.

It is quite simple to learn two-finger typing, and if one writes the posting in MS Word or similar first, you can at least use the spellchecker afterwards.

If you are serious about saying something, read through what you have written before posting….not doing this just tells the reader you can’t be bothered…so why should he bother to take you seriously?

In the end we all make mistakes - I’m sure this will be scrutinised with extreme care by someone - but some lose their argument in the process.

A couple of observations…..

Your/you’re may be a result of being a mistake that spellchecker can’t pick up…

Now have look at the passage below…..

Olny srmat poelpe can raed tihs,

I cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg.

The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at

Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a

wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be

in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed

it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed

ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh? yaeh and

I awlyas tghuhot slpeling was ipmorantt!

if you can raed tihs psas it on !!

My word, what an anal thread.

I can't be arsed to proof read my posts for spelling and grammatical errors just so you bunch of amateur school teachers can give me a pat on the back and a grade A. This isn't school, it's not a test, it's certainly not important, so get a life. :o

There, I've said it now....

totster :D