Drug Trafficker Gets Life For Running Over Two Thai Police Officers

webfact

Drug trader gets life for running over two police officers
ANUPHAN CHANTANA
THE NATION

BANGKOK: -- The Criminal Court yesterday sentenced a drug trafficker to life in prison for crashing his car into two policemen - killing one and seriously injuring the other - during a sting operation.

Alongkorn Rermprachathi-patai, 26, was also ordered to pay Bt1.64 million in compensation to the dead policeman's parents. In addition, he was sentenced to seven years in jail and fined Bt375,000 for drug trafficking.

His common-law wife, Preeyanuch Puttikorn, was also given seven years in jail and fined Bt375,000 for drug trafficking. She was in the car when Alongkorn ran into a motorcycle being driven by Pol Corporal Sirawit Ruamjit and Pol Captain Taweesak Daoruang on January 11 last year on a road linking Bangkok and Nonthaburi.

Sirawit and Taweesak were on a sting operation to nab drug traffickers at the time of the crash.

After Alongkorn discovered that he was the focus of the sting operation, he turned his car around and crashed into the motorcycle ridden by the two policemen.

Sirawit, who was driving the motorbike, sustained serious injuries, while Taweesak, who was riding pillion, was knocked down and his body was dragged for 15 metres. The police captain, a deputy inspector at the Suttisarn Police Station, succumbed to his injuries later.

Alongkorn's car was found to have 200 methamphetamine tablets and 4 grams of crystal methamphetamine.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-03-23

It does set sentencing precedent for the killing of police officers. The hit and run , dragging, and bribery attempt to obstruct justice by the Ferrari driver should outclass Alongkorn's double killing using a vehicle as weapon.

• Like 1

The drug trafficker was ordered to pay 1.64 mill in compensation but still had to do 7 yrs. Something tells me the ferrari driver had to pa a LOT more than this to keep his sad ass out of jail. That dead policeman's family are probably well off now; but less one husband/father. Very sad country for this to be the way of 'justice'.

• Like 2

Right so a precedent has been set. lets see if a certain ferrari driving cocaine taking spoilt brat gets the same sentence!!!

Do I hear " suspended sentence ' ?

Suspended sentence is typical of hit & run incidents in Thailand.

Especially if it comes with a lifetime supply of Red Bull for the police force.

Right so a precedent has been set. lets see if a certain ferrari driving cocaine taking spoilt brat gets the same sentence!!!

Do I hear " suspended sentence ' ?

Suspended sentence is typical of hit & run incidents in Thailand.

Especially if it comes with a lifetime supply of Red Bull for the police force.

I've seen a lifetime of bull surrounding the case, although none of it red.

Only if it can shown that the circumstances were the same. At this time they are not. Please note that;

1. There is no allegation made that the accused Ferrari driver was trafficking in illegal drugs. Nor is there any evidence to indicate that he was.

2a. One case involves the accused engaged in a criminal act (drug dealing) who attempted to evade arrest and then allegedly tried to run down the police officers. He was ordered to pay Bt1.64 million in compensation to the dead policeman's parents. In addition, he was sentenced to seven years in jail and fined Bt375,000 for drug trafficking.

2b. The other case involves a driver accused of reckless driving, and hit & run. The maximum penalty in law is 10 years incarceration and 20,000 baht fine. The Ferrari driver has already made a compensation payment of Bt 3 million. At this time, no evidence has been made public which proves the Ferrari drive intentionally ran down the police officer. There may be insufficient evidence to indicate anything other than the motorcyclist inadvertently collided with the Ferrari,

If you wish to claim a precedent, then the Ferrari driver should have paid less, and he will most likely serve far less than 7 years. I would expect that in the event of a conviction, he may either be given a suspended sentence or at most a few months. The precedent in such cases is that people with no criminal records are not sent to jail. My unde3rstanding is that the convicted drug trafficker had a criminal record. the Ferrari driver does not.

I understand your point that hit and run is a serious crime and merits a stiff penalty. Unfortunate, in Thailand, hit and run is "normal" behaviour and it would be unusual to give a hard penalty should there be a conviction.

In respect to the description of the Ferrari driver as being a brat, I think you are a tad hysterical. He was 27 at the time. Hardly young enough to be a brat. Since the incident, he has been on family lockdown. He can't take a leak without a family member knowing. Unlike the drug trafficker, there has been a strong intervention because of the embarrassment to the family the incident caused. He's on a short leash now. I don't know if you are aware, but he didn't have a bad reputation before the incident. He's a small guy and somewhat shy. He screwed up and did wrong. He should be judged on that and not on the fact that he comes from a wealthy family.

In respect to the description of the Ferrari driver as being a brat, I think you are a tad hysterical. He was 27 at the time. Sorry I left out "spoilt" and brat is appropriate in my opinion and that is what this forum is for - opinions, as has been your statements above. Cheers. Oh yeah and hysterical? errr ... no.

Only if it can shown that the circumstances were the same. At this time they are not. Please note that;

1. There is no allegation made that the accused Ferrari driver was trafficking in illegal drugs. Nor is there any evidence to indicate that he was.

He was, he had the cocaine hidden in his nose.

• Like 1

2a. One case involves the accused engaged in a criminal act (drug dealing) who attempted to evade arrest and then allegedly tried to run down the police officers. He was ordered to pay Bt1.64 million in compensation to the dead policeman's parents. In addition, he was sentenced to seven years in jail and fined Bt375,000 for drug trafficking.

2b. The other case involves a driver accused of reckless driving, and hit & run. The maximum penalty in law is 10 years incarceration and 20,000 baht fine. The Ferrari driver has already made a compensation payment of Bt 3 million. At this time, no evidence has been made public which proves the Ferrari drive intentionally ran down the police officer. There may be insufficient evidence to indicate anything other than the motorcyclist inadvertently collided with the Ferrari,

If you wish to claim a precedent, then the Ferrari driver should have paid less, and he will most likely serve far less than 7 years. I would expect that in the event of a conviction, he may either be given a suspended sentence or at most a few months. The precedent in such cases is that people with no criminal records are not sent to jail. My unde3rstanding is that the convicted drug trafficker had a criminal record. the Ferrari driver does not.

I understand your point that hit and run is a serious crime and merits a stiff penalty. Unfortunate, in Thailand, hit and run is "normal" behaviour and it would be unusual to give a hard penalty should there be a conviction.

In respect to the description of the Ferrari driver as being a brat, I think you are a tad hysterical. He was 27 at the time. Hardly young enough to be a brat. Since the incident, he has been on family lockdown. He can't take a leak without a family member knowing. Unlike the drug trafficker, there has been a strong intervention because of the embarrassment to the family the incident caused. He's on a short leash now. I don't know if you are aware, but he didn't have a bad reputation before the incident. He's a small guy and somewhat shy. He screwed up and did wrong. He should be judged on that and not on the fact that he comes from a wealthy family.

WOW Are you his Lawyer !!!!!!!!!!!!

No, he should be judged on what he did. And he did plenty wrong.

Anything less than a custodial sentence to reflect on the error of his ways would send wrong message, especially when the government wants to ban the sale of alcohol to everyone at Songkran.

Imagine taking a life for such a pissy amount of drugs. And as stated let's see if Mr Red Bull brat receives the same sentence... if ever.

That's no pissy amount. Even such "pissy" amounts can attract the death penalty in this part of the world.

It can but if you are a son of an MP in Singapore you will be home free. And If you are a son of a DPM in Thailand the sky is the limit.

I was just about to post the same response. There is no comparison between the two cases. I agree with you 100%.

WOW Are you his Lawyer !!!!!!!!!!!!

He probably isn't but he's looking at the two completely different cases realistically and what he says makes sense.

The drug trafficker was ordered to pay 1.64 mill in compensation but still had to do 7 yrs. Something tells me the ferrari driver had to pa a LOT more than this to keep his sad ass out of jail. That dead policeman's family are probably well off now; but less one husband/father. Very sad country for this to be the way of 'justice'.

Sad yes, very much so, but TIT !!!! hit-the-fan.gif

BANGKOK: -- The Criminal Court yesterday sentenced a drug trafficker to life in prison for crashing his car into two policemen - killing one and seriously injuring the other - during a sting operation.

Alongkorn Rermprachathi-patai, 26, was also ordered to pay Bt1.64 million in compensation to the dead policeman's parents. In addition, he was sentenced to seven years in jail and fined Bt375,000 for drug trafficking.

I think you misread the article, the seven years was for drug trafficking, he was sentenced to LIFE for killing the one police officer and injuring another.

Edited by ramrod711

FYI - Judicial precedent in Thailand is 'not binding' and Thai Judges are free to exercise their own opinion and rule as they see fit, regardless of previous findings which one may regard as having set a precedent for consideration in future cases.

Cronyism, nepotism and downright corrupt behaviour aside, the justice system in Thailand leaves a lot to be desired.

While reading the article, I was wondering how long it would take for someone to comment on "RED BULL" - first post...LOL

it certainly would be interesting in verdict if the court was held in another country besides Thailand.