Horrendous Accident

There was a really bad accident between Lamai and Hua Thanon around 4pm today.

4 cars I believe were involved including a pick-up which was wrapped around a tree.

There were two farang killed (apparently walking but with crash helmets on, maybe stopped for a drink) just outside a small Thai bar/restaurant.

Samui rescue along with many others there helping to sort out the carnage but to be honest I could not see one policeman even though the accident must have happened 30 mins before I passed by.

Coming back the other way at around 8pm, they had just pulled the pick-up away from the tree and restaurant. Still many folk around, noseying no doubt.

Very sorry for the killed and injured, there must have been a few.

Facts above may not be 100% but sure I saw the aftermath.

Why would you think the police could be involved?

normally when there is a crash and people are seriously injured then the police normally have to turn up. sililar to a crime. when a crime is committed the police normally get a call.

unless you think that only police have crashes on this island and the op was shocked to see a non policeman in the crash whistling.gif

Exactly where did I say the police were 'involved'?

If I did not make my post clear, I was questioning why the police had not turned up at the scene of a serious accident AFTER the accident.

I also said that I could not see a policeman there. I did not say they were not present.

Semantics are not needed here imnh. It was a serious accident which I was unfortunate to see the aftermath, people have been killed! RIP.

Stoneyboy, thank you for your explanation, spot on.

• Like 1

Seen people put their foot down along that stretch of road over the years which means if there is an incident then good chance it will bigger than it should and also take out people who just happen to be around there on foot. Very sad.

can't believe sometimes how quick and dangerous people drive cars and motorbikes. What's the matter with them? It's a tropical island with insecure roads and heavy traffic. Any moment something unforeseeable can happen. Why the rush to be a few minutes earlier somewhere? If it is fun, better dry that in the dessert

• Like 2

I think it is pretty much confirmed if you read Thai newspapers and watch Thai TV. I agree it has not been reported in the English speaking media but this does not mean that it did not take place. The Thai newspaper posts a picture of the victims passports. Sad but could happen anywhere.

Very bad luck. RIP

post-18949-0-89999000-1364178937_thumb.j

• Like 1

as a side note to this, my wife works for a nation-wide insurance company and often tells of foreigner/farang deaths that go unreported in any English-language media - ones that occur in eg Chiang Mai/Rai, Pattaya, Bangkok or Phuket with larger expat populations may make local/regional English news, otherwise, not newsworthy.

For example - today's Thairath reports a 52 yr old Briton died yesterday in hospital after swimming at Bophut, Koh Samui.

Found their article here

Can't expect a death such as this to make one of the English language dailies, 'we' are not so special, expect there were also a few Thai nationals who died that day also - only some are rated as 'newsworthy'.

This vehicle accident - of course tragic for those involved but on any given day, how many, 40?, road fatalities across the country. They can't all have a headline.

Edited by cycloneJ

I think you may have missed the point,I feel the OP is/was questioning why the police weren't at the scene.

Maybe this was sarcasm, referring to no money to be made ?

I think you may have missed the point,I feel the OP is/was questioning why the police weren't at the scene.

Maybe this was sarcasm, referring to no money to be made ?

Don't think so. Just someone who couldn't be bothered to read my OP correctly....or trolling.

Shame really on such a serious subject, but happens a lot on TV from certain members.

I obviously forgot to press the close button. Never mind.

It has been confirmed, families are getting consular assistance.

Condolences to the families, tragic event.

PS,Off topic posts will be deleted. Please spare some thought to the families who might get to read this, before posting any insensitive remarks.

Thank You.