Why Do Songthaews In Chiangmai Charge 20 Baht?

kharmabum

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

There are lots of strange things I wonder about Thailand, and the lack of some efficiency, but I accept the good with the bad. It is part of what makes the country so fascinating. But, maybe that is only because I am a 6 month visitor. If I had to live her permanently I believe many more things would bother me.

For example... Why does it cost 40 baht for a cup of coffee when I can get a whole meal (padt Thai, Kow padt, etc) for 5 baht less? And, that will include a bowl of consome soup and all the ice water I can drink.

Maybe it`s because in Chiang Mai the songthaews are smaller and therefore carry less people, so they charge more to make up the difference.

This is only a guess so please don`t send me any death threats for being wrong.

Not sure whether they're smaller up here, but the Pattaya ones are usually taller, so that I can sit upright rather than stoop !

Perhaps the CM-songthaew-mafia might consider raising their roofs, as well as their prices ? thumbsup.gif

At least in Chiang Mai they will take youi to your destination for less than 299 baht. In Pattaya they take you to another loading zone that will take you to another loading zone that may or may not take you to your destination. In Pattaya it is very important to save as much money as one can for the other pleasures the city has to offer.

• Like 1

There are lots of strange things I wonder about Thailand, and the lack of some efficiency, but I accept the good with the bad. It is part of what makes the country so fascinating. But, maybe that is only because I am a 6 month visitor. If I had to live her permanently I believe many more things would bother me.

For example... Why does it cost 40 baht for a cup of coffee when I can get a whole meal (padt Thai, Kow padt, etc) for 5 baht less? And, that will include a bowl of consome soup and all the ice water I can drink.

Because you're eating at the more expensive places........usually 10-15 baht less. wink.png

When I'm visiting from Pattaya, I find the CM system confusing. I WALK there. A lot!

You find it confusing to flag a songhtoew down any where tell him where you want to go and if he says yes get in and go there with out having to know where to get another one to take you there.

You get confused easily don;t you.

When I'm visiting from Pattaya, I find the CM system confusing. I WALK there. A lot!

You find it confusing to flag a songhtoew down any where tell him where you want to go and if he says yes get in and go there with out having to know where to get another one to take you there.

It's not my style to always know where I want to go ... I'd rather know where the BUS is going ... coffee1.gif

Where you go? I'll know when I get there ...

Edited by Jingthing

I must say That I find the songtheaw system really easy, cheap and a decent way to get around Chiang Mai.

I come from Canada also. Where do you get a cab to take you to your destination for 70 cents.

• Like 1

Watch the Thais hand a 20 baht note over to driver when they get out.

If they thought it was a bad deal - a ripoff - do you think they'd hand over the 20 baht?

It's some cheap-charlie farangs it seems that have a problem with Songthaew prices in CM.

If 20 baht is expensive..then buy a car, or a motorcycle, or a bicycle or rent one of these...better still borrow one free or hitch a free ride..bah.gif

So, for the ones that go up and down the moat roads what should be the charge for the length of one side of the moat?

I don't think we have songtheaws that just go up and down the moat roads.......do we? unsure.png

OK then - I pay 20Bht for one side of the square - is this about right do you think?

So, for the ones that go up and down the moat roads what should be the charge for the length of one side of the moat?

I don't think we have songtheaws that just go up and down the moat roads.......do we? unsure.png

OK then - I pay 20Bht for one side of the square - is this about right do you think?

You can pay 20 Baht for going 10 metres or 10 kilometres, if you state your destination and the driver nods yes.

You have to remember that going from one end of the moat to the other could possibly involve going up and down a few soi's and visiting markets on the way, depending on where the other passengers are getting off.

'As the crow flies' doesn't apply to Chiang Mai songtheaws.

Edited by uptheos
  • Like 2

Or you can pay 500 bath for a cup of coffee (civet feces) at Doi Chang and Picarama coffee shop in town then buy a meal grilled pork skewers and sticky rice for 15 bath! :D

Edited by ARISTIDE

Because you're eating at the more expensive places........usually 10-15 baht less. wink.png

I was wondering where they serve free all the ice water you can drink for free. I know Dukes and the River Market do but there food cost more than 35 baht. Most of the places I go to I have to ask for water and generally it is in a bottle at an additional price. Not exactly sure I would want Pat Thai or Kow Thom for 35 baht if it included all the free ice water I could drink.

You can pay 20 Baht for going 10 metres or 10 kilometres, if you state your destination and the driver nods yes.

You have to remember that going from one end of the moat to the other could possibly involve going up and down a few soi's and visiting markets on the way, depending on where the other passengers are getting off.

'As the crow flies' doesn't apply to Chiang Mai songtheaws.

Besides that if that is all the farther I wanted to go I would just limp it. We are not talking a great distance here.

I was wondering where they serve free all the ice water you can drink for free. I know Dukes and the River Market do but there food cost more than 35 baht. Most of the places I go to I have to ask for water and generally it is in a bottle at an additional price. Not exactly sure I would want Pat Thai or Kow Thom for 35 baht if it included all the free ice water I could drink.

The water is perfectly safe, perhaps you don't know how cheap it really is, as you can't get it delivered bulk in an apartment, can you?.

Yes, I know I can get a Thai meal for 25 baht, but that is sitting on a plastic stool in the street. However, you didn't tell me why coffee costs so much. It's not THAT labour intensive to dry some beans in the sun. And, Thailand CAN produce good coffee beans if they want to.

Of course, that is changing the subject of arguing over 10 baht for a cross town ride on a red bus. I just hop on my motorbike and zip ahead of them.

There is a small, Chinese/Thai cafe off Chang Klan road that serves excellent meals for 35 baht. A friend took me there when I first came to Chiang Mai and I've been eating there ever since. I've never been sick once and neither has he. There are other places as well, but they serve mostly Thais.

i think i've found a solution to my dilemma. after finding out songthauw drivers earn only 10$ a day on this thread

If you want to drive a songtaew in Chiang Mai you have two options.

1. You can buy one.

2. You can rent one.

If you want to rent one it will cost you a 12000bt deposit and 300bt a day. You then have to pay for all fuel, repairs and insurance (if you have any). After that you start to make a profit.

coffee is generally expensive because the espresso machines are expensive. anything with a big up front investment will clear away the entrepreneurial bottom feeders. also, same as in the west, people tend to hang out for hours with one cup of coffee. so you pay for renting the chair as well. plus there's perceived value - a mocha caramel soy latte can cost four times as much as a regular cup of coffee and cost only a few cents more to produce.

i'm surprised to hear everyone so lovey dovey about the songthaews. a few years ago everyone thought they were the spawn of the devil, impeding progress, causing accidents and polluting the air. i guess they must have stepped up their PR campaign. What happened? Are they running TV commercials showing a sweet old guy driving a girl to her home and giving her a flower, soft music in the background as the tagline "Songthaews. We go all the way for you" flashes over the screen?

After you have lived here long enough you won't even bother wondering anymore. Strange will become normal and very little will bother you. Believe me I talk from experience. I started coming here in the 1960's. In those days when you went to Phuket you didn't rent a hotel or condo. They didn't exist you slept on the beach. In the morning the beach was full of locals wanting to sell you their daughter in marriage. Actually now that I am in flash back mode, one of the guys I was with in those days took a local family up on their offer and married one of the daughters. 3 years ago when I was in Phitsanulok I saw this old guy and said to him I'm sorry for asking but you look very famliar to me. Turns out it was the same guy from the beach. Still has the same wife he bought. They have 7 children and 16 grand children.

• Like 2

i think i've found a solution to my dilemma. after finding out songthauw drivers earn only 10$ a day on this thread

1. You can buy one.

2. You can rent one.

If you want to rent one it will cost you a 12000bt deposit and 300bt a day. You then have to pay for all fuel, repairs and insurance (if you have any). After that you start to make a profit.

My new-found dream of being a tuktuk driver was shattered after seeing the extensive 'Farangs can't do this' list. Mine would definitely have a cup holder.

1. You can buy one.

2. You can rent one.

My new-found dream of being a tuktuk driver was shattered after seeing the extensive 'Farangs can't do this' list. Mine would definitely have a cup holder.

Renting a tuk tuk will cost you 185bt a day. You pay for fuel but not for repairs.

1. You can buy one.

2. You can rent one.

Renting a tuk tuk will cost you 185bt a day. You pay for fuel but not for repairs.

Not sure but I believe that does not include the insurance it is added on to that figure.

as I say I can't say for sure, I had heard insurance on them is expensive,

There is a small, Chinese/Thai cafe off Chang Klan road that serves excellent meals for 35 baht. A friend took me there when I first came to Chiang Mai and I've been eating there ever since. I've never been sick once and neither has he. There are other places as well, but they serve mostly Thais.

And they give you all the ice water you want for free. That was my question. I know lots of places for Thai food at 35 baht but none of them give me all the ice water I can drink for free. The odd one will offer a glass of water and ask if I want ice. but that is not the norm.