What's With The Shirtless Foreigners In Bkk?

hughben

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am curious if they are allowed into say Siam Paragon or tourist hot spots like the leaning Buddha temple.

Recently, I have only seen them on Sukumvit around Asok/Nana.

I seem to remember seeing some around Kao San Road (not been there in about 6 years) during the day and thinking it was strange back then.

Imagine you were next to a sweaty one on the skytrain at peak times.That sweat will be absorbed somewhere.

I am curious if they are allowed into say Siam Paragon or tourist hot spots like the leaning Buddha temple.

Recently, I have only seen them on Sukumvit around Asok/Nana.

I seem to remember seeing some around Kao San Road (not been there in about 6 years) during the day and thinking it was strange back then.

Imagine you were next to a sweaty one on the skytrain at peak times.That sweat will be absorbed somewhere.

You honestly don't know whether they'd be allowed in a temple or a mall for that matter.......C'mon fella.

• Like 1

Although not confined to farangs, I find their walking around in flimsy flip-flops, even when carrying big packs, very disconcerting. The amount of damage they must be doing to their arches, as well as leaving themselves open to general foot damage and infections is horrifying.

It looked ridiculous. They looked like idiots.

Pattaya, I can understand, but Bangkok?

Even in Pattaya ... assuming it's along the beach or other touristy areas, OK, but having some hairy, pot-bellied, unwashed & "aromatic" putz hanging over the salad bar or fresh bakery goods in the grocery store is a bit much ... and it's not the Russians who seem to score highest on the clueless scale from my experience.

• Like 1

Its up to the Thai's, if security guards in shopping places don't tell them, or anyone in authority on the streets, they will continue to do it as they don't know better, most of them being first time travelers

I just have a little smile when i see it in shops, even saw a guy in Friendship supermarket recently, nobody said anything to him

Thais won't do that, it's against their culture to criticise other people face to face, otherwise known as Thai tolerance, which is one of the main reasons we expats live here. It's because Thais don't interfere with us the vast majority of the time that we like living here. The only people who are ever going to tell these gross westerners to behave better is we westerners who live here. And we generally don't want to get into the hassle of telling tourists off.

Edited by spr&q
  • Like 2

One walked into my coffee shop with his T shirt rolled up to revealing either an advanced pregnancy or a revolting paunch. Why on earth he should want to expose this I am at a loss to understand. However it is similar behaviour to those who stroll along the beach in Pattaya wearing the briefest costume possible. It used to be said that if you've got it flaunt it, now sadly the opposite is true.

'in Pattaya wearing the briefest costume possible"

Haven't spent much time at Dongtan Beach lately, but it used to seem that most days there was at least one of the oldest, most leathery skinned women on the beach who felt compelled to walk up and down the shoreline topless with her "accoutrement" bouncing off her knees, sending stray dogs running off howling and food vendors' sales plummeting as appetites evaporated.

• Like 1

Basically I do not want to see anyone running around town without a shirt. Unless one is sitting on the beach it is appropriate to wear a shirt / T-shirt. All depends I guess on the background of the people and how they were brought up.

Anyway, just my view

walking brain dead, no respect for Thai culture

I agree. If They have a law in Bangkok for dropping ctgarette butts then it is about time they brought one in for Publlic decency. The Girls can't go topless at Songkran so why can foreigners walk around showing their beer bellies and hairy tits/Tattoos.

A lot of Thais find this offensive and disrespectful.

I was with a mate in a Bangkok dept store. He wanted to buy some t-shirts but try before you buy. Now, my mate ex-biker type with some good tats began to take his shirt off near the t-shirt stand. What he missed out on was most of the girls serving in this section were all waiting for him to go in the change rooms to try the gear on. The store girls were intrigued with his tats on the arms and wanted to see more. The need was to educate my friend on the customs very quickly in order to have maximum impact.

The moral of the story is to respect the customs of the land you are visiting to enjoy maximum benefit.

The next Dept store we went too, being more respectful he ended up on taking one of the store girls out to compare Tats.thumbsup.gifwai2.gif

What do you mean with 'Thai culture' ? If already there is such as 'Thai culture' the Thais themselves are the least who show any respect for there 'culture'. Supposed you mean their way of life 100 years ago. In my opinion the degenerated 'Thai culture' (fake smiles, fake showing of respect etc.) is not really something that calls for showing respect. And why respect them if they don't respect you ? But, apart from this, this kind of tourists indeed are brainless crap and behave like crap, wherever they go. I hate them.

You see what you want to see ... but you'd have to be blind not to see that most (but not all) Thais are genuinely friendly and respectful people. Truly, if I felt the way about Thais/Thailand as you do ... I'd leave immediately.

• Like 2

They show off their tatoos.Why people want to abuse their bodies by having them painted under the skin with this miserable ink is beyond me.They look like witch doctors from a canablistic tribe. Keep you T-shirts on to hide your tattoos, people. It is fashionable not to have them now.

• Like 1

I do it for them not me. Muscle tops bring the guns out but ripped abs and pecs require shirtless to be appreciated.

Only after a cut of course, as a matter of personal pride I won't flaunt the bare rig unless it's under 8 percent.

The girls at Robinsons can't get enough of it.

I do it for them not me. Muscle tops bring the guns out but ripped abs and pecs require shirtless to be appreciated.
Only after a cut of course, as a matter of personal pride I won't flaunt the bare rig unless it's under 8 percent.
The girls at Robinsons can't get enough of it.

Couldn't agree more.

I have been working on my glutes recently, so expect to see me in Robinson's in a thong!

• Like 2

Its up to the Thai's, if security guards in shopping places don't tell them, or anyone in authority on the streets, they will continue to do it as they don't know better, most of them being first time travelers

I just have a little smile when i see it in shops, even saw a guy in Friendship supermarket recently, nobody said anything to him

+1

I usually say "Hey Putin", and tug on my shirt and laugh. They look bewildered. Today in Big C again.

• Like 1

They show off their tatoos.Why people want to abuse their bodies by having them painted under the skin with this miserable ink is beyond me.They look like witch doctors from a canablistic tribe. Keep you T-shirts on to hide your tattoos, people. It is fashionable not to have them now.

Sorry your upset about my one tattoo. sad.png

What do you mean with 'Thai culture' ? If already there is such as 'Thai culture' the Thais themselves are the least who show any respect for there 'culture'. Supposed you mean their way of life 100 years ago. In my opinion the degenerated 'Thai culture' (fake smiles, fake showing of respect etc.) is not really something that calls for showing respect. And why respect them if they don't respect you ? But, apart from this, this kind of tourists indeed are brainless crap and behave like crap, wherever they go. I hate them.

+1

The weirdest thing for me is sandals without socks! While famous designers show their new sandal-with-socks collections many crazy guys didn't watch it on their cabel TV! And they still continue to dress sandals without socks... HATE IT!

• Like 1

Its fashionable not to have tattoos?

Says who?

The weirdest thing for me is sandals without socks! While famous designers show their new sandal-with-socks collections many crazy guys didn't watch it on their cabel TV! And they still continue to dress sandals without socks... HATE IT!

Dear me....

Listen fella, I wear safety shoes all day in my workplace, I like to feel the fresh air surround my feet whilst in a hot climate.

1) it's natural and healthy

2) it's not disgusting unless you're overweight

3) it's what thais and other tropical peoples have been doing since basically forever (except for a minority in modern times who imported foreign values and declared themselves the gatekeepers of civilization)

4) if you really care about the world your grandchildren will inherit, ask yourself which is a better way to reduce your carbon footprint: more clothes, more air-con, more laundry? or more respect for mother nature?

5) as a bonus, many people (including thais) enjoy an occasional piece of eye candy!

http://www.naturistsociety.com/resources/PDF/205ARGUE.pdf

Edited by khh
  • Like 2

I have given up to irritate myself over the shirtless idiots..............some people just seems to have the brains disengaged most of times !!

But what makes me see red is shirtless idiots in foodshops and resturants,thats unhygenic and discusting.........a untrained,rabid monkey would have more common sense than these fools bah.gif !!!!!!!!!

Theres A bunch of low farangs coming to Thailand.I imagine the authorities could do something about it in Bangkok if they wanted to.I believe it is A little discusting to see.But to me I think wearing

Sandels is also disgusting.I know i'm stepping on peoples toes with that remark. Won't be the first time.

Would imposing an airport tax inbound on scruffs be a contravention of human rights I wonder? What HR I hear you say. I agree that shirtless jerks indicate lack of respect in Thai cities. Incidentally sitting in a restaurant the other day in Dubai, a couple of Eastern European Hobbos stripped off when they left, at least they had the decency to wait until they were outside. How did I know they were ER's, well they had over developed upper torsos, they were ugly, fags drooping from their mouths and bo$$#cks the size of footballs. Could have been a couple of Leeds supporters I guess.....live and let live is the order of the day now.