What's With The Shirtless Foreigners In Bkk?

hughben

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well at least it makes it easier for us to pick out the russians.....

They sit shirtless inside the food court in central festival , Pattaya, and dont care about what other people might think . Now the same in Bangkok.

Edited by balo
  • Like 2

We know a lot of people want to top up their tan at every possible opportunity but walking in public without a shirt is not the custom in Thailand. Not wearing a shirt at the beach or swimming pool is fine but away from these locations, you should wear a shirt. The Thais are tolerant of westerners ignoring this custom but you will make a better impression if you respect it.

It is not normal for women to sunbathe topless. At some private swimming pools, it may be okay. At most beaches it is not acceptable (it is actually illegal) although some foreign tourists do it. Again, Thais will be tolerant and may well joke about it but they really do not like it.

http://www.knowphuket.com/thaiculture.htm

• Like 1

Its up to the Thai's, if security guards in shopping places don't tell them, or anyone in authority on the streets, they will continue to do it as they don't know better, most of them being first time travelers

I just have a little smile when i see it in shops, even saw a guy in Friendship supermarket recently, nobody said anything to him

• Like 1

I don't know, if Thais all wear t-shirts, how it do not come to the mind of people that it is not acceptable to wander in the city topless. It is true that some people are clueless, so, there should be signs or people telling them, although I think you shouldn't do what you cannot do in your country into an other country.

Edited by MaxPag

walking brain dead, no respect for Thai culture

So it would be OK if they had their t-shirts hitched up around their chest... ala Thai?

Yes, it would be an improvement.

IF they had a Nike logo on their flip flops too. coffee1.gif ...............................laugh.png

What do you mean with 'Thai culture' ? If already there is such as 'Thai culture' the Thais themselves are the least who show any respect for there 'culture'. Supposed you mean their way of life 100 years ago. In my opinion the degenerated 'Thai culture' (fake smiles, fake showing of respect etc.) is not really something that calls for showing respect. And why respect them if they don't respect you ? But, apart from this, this kind of tourists indeed are brainless crap and behave like crap, wherever they go. I hate them.

Cheap flights, cheap hotels, more money in E.Europeans pockets, Spain has police that do their job, nooooooooo not shirt wise, with other stuff. smile.png .

• Like 1

Well at least it makes it easier for us to pick out the russians.....

They sit shirtless inside the food court in central festival , Pattaya, and dont care about what other people might think . Now the same in Bangkok.

The shirtless wonders were roaming around Thai streets long before the influx of Russians occured

Not 100% sure, but I think that technically it may even be illegal to be shirtless in public in BKK- of course, often honoured more in the breach (street & market labourers don't seem bothered to care)- but still....

I think it's all part of the perception of Thailand as 'Holidayland' by these tourists.

I hate to say this, and this may be my first really bad post, but: who gives a <Snip!>?

Leave them alone. If they can't figure it out, someone else will, and they'll get comeuppance somehow. There's nothing horribly wrong with shirts off. It's freedom, mon, you don't get that?

Edited by metisdead
: Profanity
  • Like 1

Theres A bunch of low farangs coming to Thailand.I imagine the authorities could do something about it in Bangkok if they wanted to.I believe it is A little discusting to see.But to me I think wearing

Sandels is also disgusting.I know i'm stepping on peoples toes with that remark. Won't be the first time.

If you have a body full of tatts that have cost a pretty penny , plus the cost of the roids, then you have to get return on your investment and show them off. Otherwise it may be less chav / bogan to keep the shirt on.

• Like 1

Theres A bunch of low farangs coming to Thailand.I imagine the authorities could do something about it in Bangkok if they wanted to.I believe it is A little discusting to see.But to me I think wearing

Sandels is also disgusting.I know i'm stepping on peoples toes with that remark. Won't be the first time.

So the population of South-East Asia then?rolleyes.gif

It's disgusting,especially when the Thais have gone to all that trouble of printing up a myriad of designs for the 2013 Spring/Summer collection of wife-beaters,wear your favourite Thai beer with pride I say!

Bruce Bogano and Carlos Cheapetti are my favourite designers!

• Like 1

I hate to say this, and this may be my first really bad post, but: who gives a <Snip!>?

Leave them alone. If they can't figure it out, someone else will, and they'll get comeuppance somehow. There's nothing horribly wrong with shirts off. It's freedom, mon, you don't get that?

Aaah. You are 1 of THEM...whistling.gif

One walked into my coffee shop with his T shirt rolled up to revealing either an advanced pregnancy or a revolting paunch. Why on earth he should want to expose this I am at a loss to understand. However it is similar behaviour to those who stroll along the beach in Pattaya wearing the briefest costume possible. It used to be said that if you've got it flaunt it, now sadly the opposite is true.

Not 100% sure, but I think that technically it may even be illegal to be shirtless in public in BKK- of course, often honoured more in the breach (street & market labourers don't seem bothered to care)- but still....

I think it's all part of the perception of Thailand as 'Holidayland' by these tourists.

Nah.

Otherwise we would have seen some rants on here about getting scammed by the police on Sukhumvit for not wearing a shirt.

I can't imagine they'd scam fine so many good people for tossing cigarette butts, but not take the opportunity to fine them for another "crime", if going shirtless were illegal.

Then again, maybe the BIB can clean up the situation and pocket a little more money. Win-Win.

Edited by impulse