Senators To Sue Thaksin For Skype Orders To Party Lawmakers

webfact

Senators to sue Thaksin for Skype orders to party lawmakers
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra could face charges for allegedly committing a constitutional offence by ordering Pheu Thai Party ministers and MPs via Skype to amend the Constitution and push for the Bt2-trillion loan for the country's infrastructure development.

Appointed Senator Paiboon Nititawan said he believed Thaksin had violated Article 68 of the Constitution by attempting to overthrow the country's democratic system and seeking to gain control over the country's administration when he addressed the Pheu Thai Party meeting through Skype last Tuesday.

He said he and other Senators would file a complaint with the Constitution Court seeking an investigation against Thaksin.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-03-25

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Reminds me of the song from the Broadway Show from eons ago; 'Annie Get Your Gun'

'I'm Just a Girl Who Can't Say No'

Adapted to PT party: 'I'm Just a MP Who Can't Say No' ......every time that T issues and edict.

No chance. OK, it may have been in the papers, on TV, commented on by various Cabinet members present and there may even be bootleg copies circulating in red villages but when it goes to court there will still be insufficient evidence.

Edited by bigbamboo

More sound Bytes.

He is convicted already.

What good will it do this government to charge him and convict him again?????????????????????????

You know they won't do it anyway.

So is there something wrong with the senators raising the point that his actions are at least totally innapropriate, are highly immoral, highly lacking in values (especially when he claims to be a hot shot leader who is the champion of democracy and equal justice), let alone illegal?

Edited by scorecard

The one question that needs to be answered is why did Thaksin say , ''I am finished with politics?''

Surely if the senators case was to actually progress that comment would be Thaksins defense along with a medical report confirming Alzheimer disease, proving that of course he Thaksin cannot remember any comment he has made as being a professional liar one needs an excellent memory which we see is and hear every day is not the case.,

Senility rules must be the only defense that Thaksins lawyer could offer, however owing to the comments that emanate from Thaksins lawyer he too would need a defense lawyer if the issue was to go to court..

• Like 2

Unlike some seem to think there is no real need to hurry. We're talking here about the late Samak.

BTW for some the lying about accepting money somehow for cooking ghastly is only a minor offence. His statement 'only one died in the October 1976 student riots' was deemed much more damaging by some.
http://www.asiamedia.ucla.edu/article.asp?parentid=87178

• Like 1

What hope dear senators when you as a country cannot get anyone to extradite this convicted criminal on bail jumping and inciting riots resulting in death, let alone all the cheating and fraud he is also allegedly involved in? Why not just have the loan and constitutional changes quashed by criminal association and head off to the pub to celebrate a small victory? It has to be easier from within this country for that result surely.... as thinking (dreaming) you will ever have justice served here - is folly.

No democratic country on the planet will extradite Thaksin, as he was an legally elected official, ousted by a military coup.

Just to be a pedant he was not an elected official at that time, he was constitutionally a caretaker PM with no mandate. As to extradition, probably not, but if a serious infraction came to light with his involvement then all bets would be off. The tragedy in the South is viewed by some opponents of him and his clique as a possible Achilles heel.

But realistically I think not, but his position is not as bulletproof as some would have people believe.

To expand on this there are real legal and constitutional issues raised by his apparent flouting of the representational requirement and the organic law on the management of political parties. In my view and I am not alone there are possible charges that could be levelled, but as in a number of outstanding matters against him they would be difficult, under the existing and historic legal process to commence without his presence in Thailand.

Edited by A_Traveller
  • Like 1

What hope dear senators when you as a country cannot get anyone to extradite this convicted criminal on bail jumping and inciting riots resulting in death, let alone all the cheating and fraud he is also allegedly involved in? Why not just have the loan and constitutional changes quashed by criminal association and head off to the pub to celebrate a small victory? It has to be easier from within this country for that result surely.... as thinking (dreaming) you will ever have justice served here - is folly.

No democratic country on the planet will extradite Thaksin, as he was an legally elected official, ousted by a military coup.

Don't you mean he bought elections and was ousted to stop a dicatorship?

The coup happened to stop this; State of Emergency from New York,remember? ; then he paid a demagogorpric army to burn Bkk in the name of justice.

Meanwhile, his poxy (bad spelling) gov. is destroying the country. Watch Hitler's speeches and note the resemblance.

Maybe they won't extradite him because he was... legally Elected. But to get him off everyones back why not everyone go back and set up a Vote for Impeachment Proceedings, Back by Superior Court and voted on while Our P.M. is on a Shopping spree and absent... Or better yet She's alway absent so if this is in the works... maybe she'll attend Parliament now to try and block... but not knowing when it will appear... what better way to get her to do some of her Duties... "Since she was duely Appointed by all members to the Office of P.M." So she was not voted by the Majority of the People... They had no clue...

• Like 1

I sometimes wonder if the government has any idea how absurd stories like this make them look in the eyes of the world ????

It's obvious they don't care about how the rest of the world perceives them. They keep doing one absurd thing after another.

Thaksin hasn't any reason to try to overthrow the democratic system in Thailand given that it's worked his way every time since the 2006 coup. This skype fiasco is proof the democratic system, as it is, works for him. And he long ago gained control over the country's government, one after another elected government to include the present one.

The money question, for Thaksin especially, is what are the yellows, the BiB and the judges going to do about it? If they were serious about getting him back here, they'd have an Interpol red card on him.

Neither side accomplishes anything over this kind on nonsense.

He was not a legally elected official at the time of the coup. He was attempting dictatorship. There was no legal PM at the time he was thrown out of an office he was attempting to turn into his personal dynasty.

The way things are going now he might still do it with out eve3r stepping foot in to Thailand again. I very much doubt he would ever come back even if they successfully white wash him. I believe and I believe he believes there is a bullet in Thailand with his name on it.

After all he would not visit the town across the river from MaiSai for fear of a sniper and that is red shirt country. I am very very sure there are a lot of business owners he cheated out of their lively hoods with his thugs in 2010.

• Like 1

Reminds me of the song from the Broadway Show from eons ago; 'Annie Get Your Gun'

'I'm Just a Girl Who Can't Say No'

Adapted to PT party: 'I'm Just a MP Who Can't Say No' ......every time that T issues and edict.

I presume the contribution of the Democrats would be an off key rendition of the line........ "I'm in a terrible fix"

• Like 1

Just to be a pedant he was not an elected official at that time, he was constitutionally a caretaker PM with no mandate. As to extradition, probably not, but if a serious infraction came to light with his involvement then all bets would be off. The tragedy in the South is viewed by some opponents of him and his clique as a possible Achilles heel.

But realistically I think not, but his position is not as bulletproof as some would have people believe.

To expand on this there are real legal and constitutional issues raised by his apparent flouting of the representational requirement and the organic law on the management of political parties. In my view and I am not alone there are possible charges that could be levelled, but as in a number of outstanding matters against him they would be difficult, under the existing and historic legal process to commence without his presence in Thailand.

No matter how much you tell some people the truth (as I have many times) they only believe what they want to believe,Anarchy and Terrorism is good,and Thaksin is the saviour of the people,and of course the old chestnut that he was illegally, and cruelly ejected from office by a Military Coup. I wish someone would explain: how he could have been ousted from office while in America,and no longer a PM? (at that stage he had stood down) and the Tanks rolled in to a Welcoming Reception from the People! which must have been the most welcome Hearts and Flowers Coup in World History,with not a single drop of blood spilled. It was almost the same as the "Army meets the People Day Celebration"

Now let's hear how the Puppet Master made his Bloody play to regain power,by Controlling/Paying the Red Shirts to Terrorise and hold the Bangkok people to ransom in 2010,from the safety of Cowards Bunkers Abroad, and Video Links ups! and plenty of cash for the troops,with most of them earning more money than they had ever seen in their lives. Incitement? he went way,way, further than that,

I was living Bangkok and they told everyone to take the day off. They blocked a few TV channels like CNN and BBC for awhile. That was about it. Thaksin was trying to pull some kind of illegal power play, and the army called him on it. Simple as that.

Technically it was a Coup,but the reality was the Military did the Thai people a favour,they attempted to use the opportunity to cut away the cancer,unfortunately it continued to spread. They did what they said they would do,and stood down when they said they would,and allowed free elections. A rarity in Thailand,who ever heard of truthful Politicians,especially in Thailand?

• Like 1