New Buffet In Town

richsilver

Every Monday now East Tapas Lounge in the Jomtien Complex (the former Pagoda) features an all you can eat buffet.

I went yesterday with two friends and can report it was very good indeed. I dined entirely on salads and finger food: bacon wrapped dates, rare roast beef on French bread, mini potato pancakes with sour cream and smoked salmon, heavenly potato salad, mini spicy hamburgers, chicken satay, mini baked potato, bacon wrapped small potato, macaroni salad, mixed salad, prawns, hard boiled garnished eggs. They had a variety of hot food as well, but I was content with the delicious variety of the starters. The deserts didn't look very exciting to me.

The price is 390 nett. They start serving at 7, I recommend a reservation (089 005 0012).

Best of luck with your venture.

You may have pulled it off but for the last bit.

The OP has no commercial connection to this business. The reservations are suggested because they are filling up for this one special buffet night.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 2

I have not tried the buffet but I have eaten there several times and the set menu is excellent value. On the a la carte menu the Chateaubriand is superb but best of all is the Sangria. At 990baht a litre its not cheap but it is the best i have ever had. I believe they put 7-9 liquers in it. I know a litre between me and the gf is enough. The waiting staff are very nice and friendly too.

I am just a regular customer and have nothing to do with the business.

I actually haven't eaten there yet but my impression of the tapas part of their menu is that it's not really "authentic" Spanish style tapas. The majority seem to be about sticking something on some bread. Not saying anything about the flavor. It's just I would really appreciate a more traditional Spanish style tapas restaurant that has all the actual standards done as you would find in Spain, and then on TOP of that ... whatever. For example, where in town can you get a REAL tortilla espanol? Don't say Natans, they use BUTTER in theirs (it's got to have lots of OLIVE OIL).

Edited by Jingthing

Watch Out Watch Out there's an expert about. Having lived in Spain there are as many variations in Tapas as there are local Mayors.

Yeah but I talked to the people running the place and they made it clear to me they don't use olive oil much because of the cost. Also don't have any Spanish trained chef involved. Spanish food avoiding olive oil, I think not. I am not one that believes in perfect authenticity, good flavor is good flavor, but there are limits. For example you can't really cook Thai food that tastes like Thai food without fish sauce.

Be clear: I am not dissing this place, as they do NOT present themselves as an authentic Spanish restaurant! That's good because they are not.

Some people see the word tapas and think there might be a connection to Spanish food. Obviously, the word tapas has expanded internationally to mean a STYLE of serving food, many small portions making a meal, or some bar snacks kind of thing, doesn't need to be Spanish dishes.

I agree there is a massive breadth of possible Spanish tapas, but there are also the internationally recognized classics, and those I think would be welcome at most any Spanish restaurant anywhere. Then there is the flavor profile. It doesn't have to be traditional but there is such a thing as recognizable Spanish food flavor profile.

Basically, I'm saying, why not a Spanish tapas place in town that is really a Spanish tapas place? Such exist in Bangkok. Why not here?

http://www.tapasiarestaurants.com/themenu.html

Edited by Jingthing

I agree the tapas might not fit everyone's definition of tapas, so let's use the same term as the OP and call them "finger-food". They had a large assortment of "finger-food" and they were tasty.

That is indeed what I saw the two times I looked at it. Mediterranean style finger-food, not tapas.

My problem is that each time I think of eating there I also think of spending the same sum at the Hilton for lunch, and the Hilton always wins.

Best of luck with your venture.

You may have pulled it off but for the last bit.

The OP has no commercial connection to this business. The reservations are suggested because they are filling up for this one special buffet night.

Of course.

In this case, believe me, I know.