Smog Fails To Hurt Chiang Mai Tourism Sector So Far

webfact

TOURISM
Smog fails to hurt Chiang Mai tourism sector so far

Bamrung Amnatcharoenrit
The Nation

CHIANG MAI: -- Smog that is blanketing the North has not had any impact on the tourism industry so far, but operators have expressed concern that if the problem persists, they will be affected.

There have been no cancellations of room bookings yet in Chiang Mai, which hosts the biggest tourism market in the Northern region. Occupancy rates are averaging 40-50 per cent and some hotels have enjoyed rates of 60-70 per cent. That is similar to the same period last year, said Sarawut Saetiao, president of the Chiang Mai Tourism Business Association.

However, if the pollution gets worse, upper-scale tourists will stop coming to the province, as such people have concerns about their health.

At present, 3,000 Japanese and 1,500 Koreans are enjoying long-stay holidays in Chiang Mai.

The tourism scene there has remained normal, partly driven by Chinese. Sarawut believes the province will be a major destination during next month's Songkran Festival. Four- and five-star hotels are fully booked for April 13-15.

Chiang Mai has more than 40,000 rooms, more than 1,000 of which are in four- and five-star hotels.

He said smog had been a serious issue for the local tourism industry and the association began looking for a long-term solution several years ago. Fortunately, the region has received sufficient rainfall to reduce the problem during the period.

Sarawut said everyone must be in harmony to solve the pollution problem, especially monitoring more closely forest fires started by humans. This is important not just for the tourism industry, but also for the health of residents in the region.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-03-27

I see poor people have no health concerns? That's alright then.

I sincerely hope that those than can via the media,You tube,blogs etc show just exactly what is happening here yet again and ensure that the tourism sector really does get hit in the coming years then maybe something will get done.

1507625.GIF

I'm pretty sure those occupancy numbers are from the 1st time arrivals to the region. I doubt anyone with a bit of brains would like to repeat the experience of holidaying in a smoke filled city. It's the same year after year, the word's spreading and in the future there will be less and less tourists.

• Like 2

Sad.... I know of 4 families moving away from CM.... It really is worse this year.... I have my air purifiers working full time in the house for the family. Doors and windows shut.

I have to agree it is worse this year than the last 5 yrs especially around 7 p.m until 11 a.m when the sun eventually breaks through the haze. We too are moving from Chiangmai and are currently building a house in Chianat. Also plans to move to Aust where the air is clean.

I'm in CM right now. I can see the smog if I look at the mountains, which are almost obscured. But I don't have any problems in the city. Hasn't affected me at all, and other people I've talked to haven't even mentioned it. I'm in old city, so maybe it's worse elsewhere. But I was in Nimman Road the other day, and it seemed ok there as well. Definitely nothing that would make me cough. In fact I haven't heard anyone here coughing.

None of you remember March 2007? The pollution now is truly minor compared to then.

Smart tourists will schedule their holiday for some other time of the year, but they'll still come. Do you really think that many tourists will say I'll never come to CM because of the seasonal pollution? The timing is shifted, but the total is the same. That's why there is a high and low season. Overall tourism is unaffected. That's why the govt will never do anything to stop the burning.

Holiday folk don't give a toss about a 2 week holiday risk, l wouldn't, but long term you are stuffed. I went to CM a couple of years ago from Ubon, thought l might need my UK puffer thing again for lung stuff. I would not live in CM. My lungs told me. smile.png

None of you remember March 2007? The pollution now is truly minor compared to then.

Smart tourists will schedule their holiday for some other time of the year, but they'll still come. Do you really think that many tourists will say I'll never come to CM because of the seasonal pollution? The timing is shifted, but the total is the same. That's why there is a high and low season. Overall tourism is unaffected. That's why the govt will never do anything to stop the burning.

I remember 2007, it was the year we left CM for the cleaner air of Phuket, we returned four years later but if this sh*t keeps up we might just head South again. Actually no we wouldn't do that, we've seen enough of these burning seasons now to where we understand they may be intense at time but they are short lived.

How would you rate the pollution of Cm with that of Hong Kong? Serious question. I couldn't wait to get out of HKG after just a month or so of taking up a new job there. One reason was because of the atmosphere. My body told me it wasn't doing me any good.

TAT is pretty simple in their analysis...First, a # of ex-pats know the drill and move away during this time so less dollars being spent; It is pretty miserable to look out and not see a blue sky and mountain range - the quality of vist and experience is a big negative for tourists who no doubt should share their experience with others who want to come in the future...

TAT's response is what I expected - a good reason not to do anything by saying tourist #s aren't affected.....

Health is just one factor that should be measured but by no means the only factor....

The Smog came in January this year and with the exception of a few rain days that provided a couple of clear days, it's has been hazy since then with the last three weeks the worst (at different levels of course)

Really sad.....

CB

How would you rate the pollution of Cm with that of Hong Kong? Serious question. I couldn't wait to get out of HKG after just a month or so of taking up a new job there. One reason was because of the atmosphere. My body told me it wasn't doing me any good.

Yes, of course, and what of Beijing, Shanghai, etc. Those places are appalling... but this does not distract from our problem here in CM. I've been here for over 25 years.... I've done my bit with trying to ask neighbors both in very rural areas to hi-so housing estates, not to pollute - period. It's an uphill battle but there are some people that actually listen. Word of mouth and aggrandizing some stories of thousands of people getting cancer with this smoke will work on some. Try what we can.....

re

Can some of you Chiang Mai residents post some pictures of the smog/smoke/air pollution? I think a lot of us would appreciate seeing it.

here ya go

pic 1 .. 9 12 am 8 feb 13

pic 2 .. 6 10 pm sunset 22 mar 13

pic 3 .. 10 32 am this morning : )

dave2

ps . a thai airways jumbo is just visible in pic 3

post-42592-0-81591400-1364443957_thumb.j

post-42592-0-34178400-1364444002_thumb.j

post-42592-0-43599100-1364444044_thumb.j

re

Can some of you Chiang Mai residents post some pictures of the smog/smoke/air pollution? I think a lot of us would appreciate seeing it.

here ya go

dave2

Reminds me of London when l was a kid. sad.png

re

here ya go

dave2

Reminds me of London when l was a kid. sad.png

Only if you ignore the mountain, the palm trees and the style of buildings, otherwise yes, I agree, it does. giggle.gif

• Like 1

The HK situation is downwind of Shenzen area which is heavy chemicals from electronics production.

I would say the industrial pollution is a lot more hazardous because of the chemical toxicity issues.

In CM its mostly forest and agriculture burning... Unfortunately a lot of pesticides residues are being burnt. It's not great in CM but probably less likely to have birth defects and other serious mutations.

Most tour book long ago especially during Songkran period, but the worst is local media is not reporting polution condition fear to hurt tourism.........they are more interested to get tourist money instead of human health. Local govt is not doing much to stop polution but rather think how to conceal the news to attract tourist dollar. crazy.gif

• Like 2