Obama Appoints First Woman To Lead Secret Service

News_Editor

It's obviously news. Not that everyone should care about this news. But it IS news.

newly received or noteworthy information, especially about recent or important events:

http://oxforddictionaries.com/us/definition/american_english/news

I see that you misunderstand my complaint about this article, which is "making her the first woman to lead the scandal-hit agency". The sex of the person should no longer be a news worthy item. Of course they will report her appointment as a news item, but her gender should not be commented on.
I get that. I strongly disagree. In the American context, when HALF the congresspeople and HALF the CEOs and HALF the presidents are women, THEN it will no longer be news.

How far do you want to take the absurdity of acting like identity groups don't matter? If the USA elected the first Arab president, the press shouldn't mention that in the news?

Why should there need to be half? How about the best person for the job gets it instead of just some quota system that puts underqualified women into positions they don't deserve simply because of thier gender.

I'm not saying that this is an issue in this appointment but my own government has a quota system and it has just made the whole thing a shambles. Too many women in important positions that should not be there.

Just give it to the best person for the job regardless of gender. If that means 90% in charge or male or female then so be it.

Just give it to the best person for the job regardless of gender. If that means 90% in charge or male or female then so be it.

You're right. It wouldn't need to be nearly as high as half to no longer be newsworthy. However, the FIRST woman in any specific major office is newsworthy and probably always will be. Remember in the last American presidential election, the challenger (can't remember his name but I think he was a white guy) was boasting about his "binders full of women" so we ain't quite there yet.

post-37101-0-84235500-1364812530_thumb.j

Edited by Jingthing

It's obviously news. Not that everyone should care about this news. But it IS news.

newly received or noteworthy information, especially about recent or important events:

I see that you misunderstand my complaint about this article, which is "making her the first woman to lead the scandal-hit agency". The sex of the person should no longer be a news worthy item. Of course they will report her appointment as a news item, but her gender should not be commented on.

I get that. I strongly disagree. In the American context, when HALF the congresspeople and HALF the CEOs and HALF the presidents are women, THEN it will no longer be news.

How far do you want to take the absurdity of acting like identity groups don't matter? If the USA elected the first Arab president, the press shouldn't mention that in the news?

The US only allows citizens to become president, so whoever it is is an American. Why do Americans have this absurd habit of calling themselves .............. Americans.

Either they are American, or they aren't.

• Like 1

You're right. It wouldn't need to be nearly as high as half to no longer be newsworthy. However, the FIRST woman in any specific major office is newsworthy and probably always will be. Remember in the last American presidential election, the challenger (can't remember his name but I think he was a white guy) was boasting about his "binders full of women" so we ain't quite there yet.

attachicon.gifth.jpg

Jeez JT, the election is over- give it a rest.

The US only allows citizens to become president, so whoever it is is an American. Why do Americans have this absurd habit of calling themselves .............. Americans.

Not sure I get your point in this context as there are of course many Americans of Arab descent. Americans call themselves Americans because that's what citizens of the USA happen to call themselves when describing their nationality. If that's a problem, too bad. (What are we supposed to say, United States-ers? Geez!)

Edited by Jingthing

Not sure I get your point in this context as there are of course many Americans of Arab descent. Americans call themselves Americans because that's what citizens of the USA happen to call themselves when describing their nationality. If that's a problem, too bad. (What are we supposed to say, United States-ers? Geez!)

You obviously didn't understand the .............. I put before Americans. eg African Americans, Arab Americans etc etc

You obviously didn't understand the .............. I put before Americans. eg African Americans, Arab Americans etc etc

Better if you had used ______.

Same reason Thai Chinese call themselves Thai Chinese, eh? Or Japanese Brazilian. Etc. coffee1.gif No big whoop.