Septic Tank. Rented House. Who Pays To Have It Emptied?

As the topic says, who pays to have a septic tank emptied in a rented house?

There is no written agreement that the renter has to pay.

I ask because some people called round today to look at the tank and they wanted 1,200 Baht to empty it. After phoning the landlady, she said she would not pay. I also refused. Obviously the tank has not been emptied.

Rule of thumb - if it isn't spelled out it's onto you.

The only things I require my landlord to fix are water coming in from outside and life-threatening electric stuff, anything at the panel.

But I'm paying local-level rents, not overpriced farang-style. . .

those are scams, go google around. a proper septic tank will look full but do not need to be emptied as suggested by them.

heck, why would the landlord pay for you for being scammed. if it is indeed a need for draining, its not 1000 over baht. its just a measly amount, you wouldnt even bother calling your landlord

• Like 1

Ignore the cowboys who want to empty the tank.

If the tank is properly installed the water should drain off and the solid

rarely needs removing. That is what my builder told me

I would say that the landlord is responsible for the repair and maintenance of fixtures and fittings, and the renters are responsible for the servicing of amenities, such as toilets, drains, septic tanks, replacement of light bulbs, window and house cleaning and so on.

I do not see the OP`s argument that he is not responsible for the emptying of the septic tank, considering that it is his and his families waste in there that has caused the problem. I would object to paying the full amount if the facility was shared jointly with other parties, but nevertheless, why should the landlord have to pay for this service? That is the equivalent of expecting the landlord to pay for the disposal of all domestic rubbish.

If the septic tank system is inadequate or faulty and the landlord is not interested, than the only other options is to renovate the system or move on. Otherwise I do not understand what is the OP`s problem?

• Like 1

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I interpret the OP as not arguing one way or the other, simply asking for opinions as to the usual practice here.

And as it's likely to be completely unnecessary, probably a scam, then the whole thing's a moot point anyway isn't it?

I ask because some people called round today to look at the tank and they wanted 1,200 Baht to empty it

What people from where?

Who asked them to call round?

Does the tank even need emptying?

1200 baht is a piss take, 300 baht tops.

See post #8.

In general, unless specifically specified, you are responsible for maintenance of the house, which includes paying to empty the septic tank. You are also responsible for cleaning and maintaining air conditioning units, fixing leaking faucets, etc. etc. Usually the owner will be responsible for a leaking roof, unless all repairs and maintenance are your responsibility. If you have flooding, and do not have insurance, you will also be responsible for the damage the flooding causes.

TIT and you can't teach Thai's how to be caring landlords.

Ignore the cowboys who want to empty the tank.

If the tank is properly installed the water should drain off and the solid

rarely needs removing. That is what my builder told me

Some of the Moo Baan in Pattaya do not have the septic tanks connected to the town sewerage drains for overflow and when their is heavy rain can require the septic tanks for be pumped out due to the ground water rising. You will know when its required if the toilets do not flush properly. As said contact city hall or a local will give you a provider, costs about 300 baht per tank. I had this problem and paid for a Thai team to properly connect our septic tanks for grey water and urinals to the main drain for overflow, now OK.

Down to local agreement as to who pays but, DO NOT use the cowboys that come round offering to empty it for you as they always overcharge. Call the City helpline 1337 (assuming you are in Pattaya from your id) and get the city truck if you really need it. Think it costs about 250 baht per tank.

Very interesting and informative. That is appreciated. Thanks :)

I would say that the landlord is responsible for the repair and maintenance of fixtures and fittings, and the renters are responsible for the servicing of amenities, such as toilets, drains, septic tanks, replacement of light bulbs, window and house cleaning and so on.

I do not see the OP`s argument that he is not responsible for the emptying of the septic tank, considering that it is his and his families waste in there that has caused the problem. I would object to paying the full amount if the facility was shared jointly with other parties, but nevertheless, why should the landlord have to pay for this service? That is the equivalent of expecting the landlord to pay for the disposal of all domestic rubbish.

If the septic tank system is inadequate or faulty and the landlord is not interested, than the only other options is to renovate the system or move on. Otherwise I do not understand what is the OP`s problem?

That is fair enough. But everything else is laid out in the agreement and 1st time I've had a place with a septic tank. So why should I not query it?

I have rented 5 properties during my stay,

I have always paid for the septic tank to be emptied.

300/500 Bht.

Out of courtesy also have the tank emptied when I leave the premises.

In general, unless specifically specified, you are responsible for maintenance of the house, which includes paying to empty the septic tank. You are also responsible for cleaning and maintaining air conditioning units, fixing leaking faucets, etc. etc. Usually the owner will be responsible for a leaking roof, unless all repairs and maintenance are your responsibility. If you have flooding, and do not have insurance, you will also be responsible for the damage the flooding causes.

TIT and you can't teach Thai's how to be caring landlords.

I ask because some people called round today to look at the tank and they wanted 1,200 Baht to empty it

What people from where?

Who asked them to call round?

Does the tank even need emptying?

1200 baht is a piss take, 300 baht tops.

See post #8.

All fair enough comments.

Post 2 was also very good and now I have the number and cost.

Who filled it? Nail/head.

That is besides the point - **** head.

No, if your question was about who pays for the electric the answer would be the same, all untilities are paid for by the consumer of same, the fact that there is no sewrage system associated with your rental property is irrelevant.

1200-1600thb is the known rip-off price for farang, normal price from 70 to 250thb. Matter of communication. I never paid more then 70b. Guess that the expats who don't do any effort to learn speak and understand Thai get ripped of first, very understandable. (off topic) Refusing to integrate is asking for being treated different ! :lol:

Edited by rubberduck
  • Like 2

1200-1600thb is the known rip-off price for farang, normal price from 70 to 250thb. Matter of communication. I never paid more then 70b. Guess that the expats who don't do any effort to learn speak and understand Thai get ripped of first, very understandable. (off topic) Refusing to integrate is asking for being treated different ! laugh.png

let me guess you only paid THB 70 because you are at one with your Thainess, you have intergrated in Thai culture and shrugged off the shackles of western society and all other farangs in Thailand are just whore-mongering sexpats...rolleyes.gif

Problem with your theory Toto is that most farangs have a long haired dictonary with them who deals with the locals on matters such of this, so one suspects the language is hardly a problem...wink.png

Toto! blink.pngcheesy.gif

1200-1600thb is the known rip-off price for farang, normal price from 70 to 250thb. Matter of communication. I never paid more then 70b. Guess that the expats who don't do any effort to learn speak and understand Thai get ripped of first, very understandable. (off topic) Refusing to integrate is asking for being treated different ! laugh.png

let me guess you only paid THB 70 because you are at one with your Thainess, you have intergrated in Thai culture and shrugged off the shackles of western society and all other farangs in Thailand are just whore-mongering sexpats...rolleyes.gif

Problem with your theory Toto is that most farangs have a long haired dictonary with them who deals with the locals on matters such of this, so one suspects the language is hardly a problem...wink.png

Toto! blink.pngcheesy.gif

was going to put "duckie" in there, but maybe he thinks I fancy him...tongue.png

You are also responsible for cleaning and maintaining air conditioning units, fixing leaking faucets, etc. etc.

Never heard that before. Items such as aircon, fridges, fans and other items such as furniture are chattels of the owner and therefore their responsibility. Consumables and the ilk are another matter and would include lightbulbs and the emptying of the septic tank.

The fan which was supplied broke down and I was given a new one. My fridge broke down so was given hers which was less than a year old and she bought a new one. My aircon failed and engineers came to fix it. The corner sofa was trashed so she was going to buy a new one but I told her not to bother as I had a friend with a good quality one which I would leave if and when I vacate the property.

You are also responsible for cleaning and maintaining air conditioning units, fixing leaking faucets, etc. etc.

Never heard that before. Items such as aircon, fridges, fans and other items such as furniture are chattels of the owner and therefore their responsibility. Consumables and the ilk are another matter and would include lightbulbs and the emptying of the septic tank.

The fan which was supplied broke down and I was given a new one. My fridge broke down so was given hers which was less than a year old and she bought a new one. My aircon failed and engineers came to fix it. The corner sofa was trashed so she was going to buy a new one but I told her not to bother as I had a friend with a good quality one which I would leave if and when I vacate the property.

There are no hard and fast rules on this, responsibility will shift from person to person based on the nature and wording of the contract and the nationality of the owner/renter and so on.