Septic Tank. Rented House. Who Pays To Have It Emptied?

If you have flooding, and do not have insurance, you will also be responsible for the damage the flooding causes.

No you are not. http://www.tenants.org.au/factsheet-06-repairs-and-maintenance

The landlord’s obligations

The landlord agrees:

• to provide the premises ‘reasonably’ clean and fit to live in
  • to provide and maintain the premises in ‘reasonable’ repair – even if the landlord/agent told you about disrepair at the premises before you moved in.

‘Reasonable’ repair depends on the age of the premises, the amount of rent you pay and the prospective life of the premises.

The landlord is not required to fix any disrepair that you cause. However, they must try to limit their losses if they want to later claim compensation. Contact your local Tenants Advice and Advocacy Service for advice about this.

Urgent repairs

Urgent repairs means any work needed to repair any of the following:

• a burst water service
  • a broken or malfunctioning appliance, fitting or fixture causing a substantial waste of water
  • a blocked or broken toilet
  • a serious roof leak
  • a gas leak
  • a dangerous electrical fault
  • flooding or serious flood damage
  • serious storm or fire damage
  • a failure or breakdown of the gas, electricity or water supply
  • a failure or breakdown of any essential service for hot water, cooking, heating, cooling or laundering
  • any fault or damage that makes the premises unsafe or insecure.

a failure or breakdown of any essential service for hot water, cooking, heating, cooling or laundering

Unless the tennent provided the service themself such as installing their own aircon or fridge. Edited by notmyself

^^^^^, well thats all fine and dandy if you are renting in Australia, but this is Thailand.

Mods please allow the Thai writing, it will allow people to copy what they need and gives them the correct spelling etc.

หนังสือสัญญาเช่า, nang seu san yaa chao is what you want to refer to.

สัญญาเช่า, sometimes shortened/referred to as san yaa chao.

You did ask for and get one didnt you?

Edited by rgs2001uk

Your pooh, you get rid of it. coffee1.gif .....................laugh.png

If he hasn't been there very long the chances are it's the previous tenants pooh! Bet they didn't clear it when they left and you can be sure the Landlord wouldn't have done it before he moved in.

Your pooh, you get rid of it. coffee1.gif .....................laugh.png

If he hasn't been there very long the chances are it's the previous tenants pooh! Bet they didn't clear it when they left and you can be sure the Landlord wouldn't have done it before he moved in.

Sorted

Get the present tenant the previous tenant and the landlord all together

And go a Turd each

• Like 2

Down to local agreement as to who pays but, DO NOT use the cowboys that come round offering to empty it for you as they always overcharge. Call the City helpline 1337 (assuming you are in Pattaya from your id) and get the city truck if you really need it. Think it costs about 250 baht per tank.

your shxt you paylaugh.pnglaugh.png

you cannot afford 1200 baht? i would gladly pay that to a quite time while in the toilet, and not have to worry about backup....

He didn't say he couldn't afford it, he was asking whose responsibility it was to empty it.

...and even if he couldn't afford it , your contribution would be ridicule?

1200-1600thb is the known rip-off price for farang, normal price from 70 to 250thb. Matter of communication. I never paid more then 70b. Guess that the expats who don't do any effort to learn speak and understand Thai get ripped of first, very understandable. (off topic) Refusing to integrate is asking for being treated different ! laugh.png

let me guess you only paid THB 70 because you are at one with your Thainess, you have intergrated in Thai culture and shrugged off the shackles of western society and all other farangs in Thailand are just whore-mongering sexpats...rolleyes.gif

Problem with your theory Toto is that most farangs have a long haired dictonary with them who deals with the locals on matters such of this, so one suspects the language is hardly a problem...wink.png

The problem with your post, Toto (?), is it's total balderdash. (Think I spelled that correctly, had a look in my dictonary {sic})

If you have flooding, and do not have insurance, you will also be responsible for the damage the flooding causes.

No you are not. http://www.tenants.org.au/factsheet-06-repairs-and-maintenance

The landlord’s obligations

The landlord agrees:

• to provide the premises ‘reasonably’ clean and fit to live in
  • to provide and maintain the premises in ‘reasonable’ repair – even if the landlord/agent told you about disrepair at the premises before you moved in.

‘Reasonable’ repair depends on the age of the premises, the amount of rent you pay and the prospective life of the premises.

The landlord is not required to fix any disrepair that you cause. However, they must try to limit their losses if they want to later claim compensation. Contact your local Tenants Advice and Advocacy Service for advice about this.

Urgent repairs

Urgent repairs means any work needed to repair any of the following:

• a burst water service
  • a broken or malfunctioning appliance, fitting or fixture causing a substantial waste of water
  • a blocked or broken toilet
  • a serious roof leak
  • a gas leak
  • a dangerous electrical fault
  • flooding or serious flood damage
  • serious storm or fire damage
  • a failure or breakdown of the gas, electricity or water supply
  • a failure or breakdown of any essential service for hot water, cooking, heating, cooling or laundering
  • any fault or damage that makes the premises unsafe or insecure.

How do the NSW laws come into this thread. You know the poster is in Thailand?

I had my septic tanks pumped just a few weeks ago here in Bangkok simply because my neighbor had called a company to come suck his tanks...I had four access holes/tanks to pump....cost was 200 baht per hole/tank...total cost was 800 baht. This is the first time since buying the house over 5 years ago the tanks had been pumped....only one tank appeared to have a significant amount of crap...I probably could have waited another 5 years. A couple times of year I do pour some of that septic tank bacteria stuff down the commodes...it's cheap....only around 150 baht a bottle...you can get it at places like HomePro. But hey, I feel better now I got rid of my sh&t.

Edited by Pib

It's irrelevant what anyone says here.... the landlord already said they won't pay...so its "up to you" .

In 11 years I have never yet had a septic tank cleared, they look after themselves provided you DO NOT pour bleach or chemicals down the toilet. Every supermarket sells packs of stuff that you put down the toilet and it encourages the good "s*it munching" bacteria that breaks the stuff down.

My understanding is that in colder climates septic tanks don't work so well and can need clearing, but not here.

It's irrelevant what anyone says here.... the landlord already said they won't pay...so its "up to you" .

In 11 years I have never yet had a septic tank cleared, they look after themselves provided you DO NOT pour bleach or chemicals down the toilet. Every supermarket sells packs of stuff that you put down the toilet and it encourages the good "s*it munching" bacteria that breaks the stuff down.

My understanding is that in colder climates septic tanks don't work so well and can need clearing, but not here.

I killed my septic tank by putting toxic pipe unblocking stuff down the pan. thinking I had a blocked pipe.

In the end it was actually an old bum gun nossle that was blocking the u-bend of the toilet.

It never recovered properly and I had to get city call to empty it (defer the problem)..

Not in contract = you pay :-)

I pay 200B for mine to be emptied. Try a couple of calls or ask the locals who they use - my neighbours and I all use the same man. (and surprisingly he's such a nice man who obviously really enjoys his job!)

And as someone said, just becasue it looks full doesn't mean it needs emptying - mine is always 3/4 full; that's the "head" that's required to force the liquid to soak away. First glance you think it's full, but it never get's any fuller.

You could always have a **** in the garden - that keeps the liquid down :-)

Basically, there are no rules in renting. If your new landlord promises something , then it means nothing. Pay yourself of get out. If you rental is unlivable then move on. If you lost money then look at it as a lesson learned.