Uob Bank Thailand

Previously I was interested in opening an account with Bank of Asia as they seemed to be pretty geared up when it came to intrnet banking. I understand that recently there was a buy-out and merge and BOA is now UOB Thailand.

Has anyone recently opened an account with UOB Thailand that has internet banking ? If so what were the requirements - ie what docs did they ask for and was a minimum deposit specified ?

Does anyone know if UOB have a prescence in the UK ?

Thanks in advance and look forward to hear from you...

Previously I was interested in opening an account with Bank of Asia as they seemed to be pretty geared up when it came to intrnet banking. I understand that recently there was a buy-out and merge and BOA is now UOB Thailand.

Has anyone recently opened an account with UOB Thailand that has internet banking ? If so what were the requirements - ie what docs did they ask for and was a minimum deposit specified ?

Does anyone know if UOB have a prescence in the UK ?

Thanks in advance and look forward to hear from you...

I use them. The internet bank is the same as when they were Bank of Asia (changed the colors slightly but that's all). You can use it to pay bills (electricity, phone, internet, credit card etc), view statements, transfer between your own accounts but you can not make third party transfers.

They will ask you for passport and possibly also for work permit (although that is not a requirement if you are opening a regular savings account so I am not sure why they ask for that). Minimum deposit is B1000.

http://www.uob.co.th/personal/deposit-normal-saving.htm

I opened an a savings account with them in January. Had to provide passport, work permit and 50,000 baht deposit.

The visa Electron card took almost 7 weeks to get to me due to some error on their part. I am still trying to sort out the internet banking ..the password they provided me with doesn't work.. Not impressed so far!

My main reason for opening the account is because the branch is located within a dept store, open every day and longer hours!

My main reason for opening the account is because the branch is located within a dept store, open every day and longer hours!

Let me guess, Central Pinklao, next to TOPS? :o

I also want to open a savings account with credit card, they want an 80.000 deposit if I'm to get the Gold card.

Well I visited my local branch yesterday - people very friendly and helpful but to get an xtra save account they want

Passport, Work Permit and 50000 deposit.

Passport - no problems. In lieu of a work permit i have a letter that acts as a good substitute and was accepted. I dont work but I did have an offer of a job previously. 50000 deposit - i challnged this and said the english website stated only 1000 - was told 1000 for thais and 50000 for foreigners and woman allegedly checked with head office.

However, 50000 is a requirement to open, but you can take most of this back out straight after.

Funny the differences in thai banks :

opening deposits required :

HSBC 500000

Citybank 100000

UOB 50000

SCB 0

Krung thai 100

Kasikorn 100

TMB 100

BKK Bank 100

Anyway UOB dont seem to have a presence iin the UK so this looks like a no-go so far...

oh well if uob inet banking is a joke - then no way hosay.

Its interesting that thai banks outsource the development of their inet banking to the local schools - must be a phishers, scammers and hackers paradise.... Maybe moral here is that if you have alot of money in a thai bank dont have inet banking aswell...

I sincerely had the impression that BOA inet banking was pretty good as it was not purely Thai based bank (maybe wrong there...)

Having said that HSBC malaysia is a bit clunky and doesnt feel the same as other HSBC sites - ie offshore and UK....

Edited by Khun Bob