2013 Honda Cbr500 Are Restricted At 9K Rpm

xastunts

n250 wins hands down looks wise but if i buy a road bike here i want to do some touring on it so 250cc engine out of the question for me ,the cbr range dont know never even seen one yet so i would have to test ride one first ,at the moment until i get to see/ ride 500 range i think i would probably go for the kawasaki 650 range.

For me when I bought the 2013 Ninja 250 looks was a bonus but it was the engine type

that cinched the deal for me in that price range. I had looked at many bikes & the fun per baht

on the N250 fit my needs best.

I do agree with you though that if touring is your desired use then then N250 would not be the best choice.

No point in cruising along at a higher RPM in 6th when there are many bikes more diesel like in

engine characteristics which is better suited to touring.Like a diesel cruising in 6th at lower rpm

is more pleasurable over hundreds of km's straight roads. Of coarse the added displacement wouldn't hurt either.

Although yesterday we were cruising back from a ride at 140kph which is sufficient on these roads.

To tell you the truth if I am on a road for very long meaning more than say 20km in 6th gear I am

thinking of turning around & finding a more interesting road as I ride for pleasure not distance.

Just yesterday took the wife on a ride to Wiang Pa Pao Chiang Rai. While not as tight as I like it when alone it was perfect

for two up sport style riding. Rowing between 4th & 6th twisty, sweeping, up & down enough to keep it interesting.

We then turned off to Phayao but after 15 or so km's turned around as the road was long mostly straight & boring.

Will have to check a map as I thought it was supposedly more of a mountain pass type road.

Edited by mania

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a bit odd that posters who have these failed to mention it before.

I suspect it isn't in the sales brochure either. :rolleyes:

What isn't in the brochure??

Sent from my GT-P1010 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

^ Oh sounds like you are comparing it to or had visions of it being the same as the superbike range that is called cbr rr, obviously thinking like that you would be dussapointed Sent from my GT-P7500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

No, I was originally disappointed to see it had a redline around 9000rpm. And not like the 250 @ 10.5k rpm or 150 @ 11.5k rpm.

I think everybody was, tbh.

Now upon learning that on top of this the rev limiter kicks in bang-on at redline at 9k rpm, and not at least 1k after like the 250 (11.5k) or 150 (12.5k), it is doubly disappointing.

It will of course suit some people, and not others. As long as those thinking of buying one know what they're getting.

Strange as it seems only ONE poster has even mentioned the limiter. And he managed to hit it once on a test ride at Big Wing in 1st gear on a Bike with minimal fuel. The test area is fairly small. It would be interesting if the Op would try a proper test ride on open roads (say rent one in Pattaya)

Until then he and every one else who hasn't ridden one has NO idea how the Bike rides in real road situations.

The Redline starts at 8800. Op says the limiter comes on at 9000. For sure!

You mentioned the Cbr250 recline/limiter. Personally I have hit the limiter once and that was early on in riding the bike. I then realized that there was absolutely no reason to rev it so high as I had already gone past the power peak.... that's what its all about at the end of the day ..... power.

Edited by thaicbr
  • Like 2

I suspect it isn't in the sales brochure either. rolleyes.gif

You know actually redline & HP for that matter is usually not listed on Manufacturers specs

But.....They do give bore x stroke so most people can figure it out as to whether

it is a torque based ( low rev ) or HP based ( high rev ) type engine.

Not to say one style has more hp than the other just to say they make their hp

in different type powerbands.

But even if it is not listed on manufacturers spec lists almost always we will

see a early review/release report & they will always give the hp & redline

both of which is usually not given in the spec list

Edited by mania

So there is some good technology in this security system not bad for what a lot offpeoPle pn here call a cheap basic commuter bike I'm a little more impressed by this bike now.

TBH, the first thought that crosses my mind is, well, what did they scrimp on to put that in and still meet the cheap price-point.

Personally I'd prefer a bike with 100% of production cost going into the bike, not a fancy security system.

The N250 looks better with every post about the 500 series to be honest.

Maybe other bikes are just overpriced.

That it can't go past 9000rpm.

You mentioned the Cbr250 recline/limiter. Personally I have hit the

limiter once and that was early on in riding the bike. I then realized

that there was absolutely no reason to rev it so high as I had already

gone past the power peak.... that's what its all about at the end of the

day ..... power.

Really? I ride bikes for fun. I love bouncing it off the limiter. Whenever the road opens up, *bam* off the limiter in 3rd at around 105kph, *bam* off the limiter in 4th at around 120ish(?), into 5th and you're flying. Roll-ons until limiter-bouncing is great. Good wholesome fun that puts a smile on your dial. smile.png

I suspect that many who buy the CBR500 (as it looks like a sports bike) would also be so 'fun' inclined. smile.png

Of course lots of riders out there are boring riders, and of course there's nothing wrong with that. It would be odd of them to buy a bike that is presented as a sports bike like the CBR500 though.

Edited by Almera

^ Oh sounds like you are comparing it to or had visions of it being the same as the superbike range that is called cbr rr, obviously thinking like that you would be dussapointed Sent from my GT-P7500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

No, I was originally disappointed to see it had a redline around 9000rpm. And not like the 250 @ 10.5k rpm or 150 @ 11.5k rpm.

I think everybody was, tbh.

Now upon learning that on top of this the rev limiter kicks in bang-on at redline at 9k rpm, and not at least 1k after like the 250 (11.5k) or 150 (12.5k), it is doubly disappointing.

It will of course suit some people, and not others. As long as those thinking of buying one know what they're getting.

Strange as it seems only ONE poster has even mentioned the limiter. And he managed to hit it once on a test ride at Big Wing in 1st gear on a Bike with minimal fuel. The test area is fairly small. It would be interesting if the Op would try a proper test ride on open roads (say rent one in Pattaya)

Until then he and every one else who hasn't ridden one has NO idea how the Bike rides in real road situations.

The Redline starts at 8800. Op says the limiter comes on at 9000. For sure!

You mentioned the Cbr250 recline/limiter. Personally I have hit the limiter once and that was early on in riding the bike. I then realized that there was absolutely no reason to rev it so high as I had already gone past the power peak.... that's what its all about at the end of the day ..... power.

Yes you are right about that! My test on this bikes where not proper and it was at the change to the 2nd gear I felt this clutch jammed feeling not revving it max on the 1st gear loool what would be the use of that hahaa.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Quote from almera

Really? I ride bikes for fun. I love bouncing it off the limiter. Whenever the road opens up, *bam* off the limiter in 3rd at around 105kph, *bam* off the limiter in 4th at around 120ish(?), into 5th and you're flying. Roll-ons until limiter-bouncing is great. Good wholesome fun that puts a smile on your dial.

End quote

This I actually agree with it what makes small engine bikes fun you can just whack it fully open all the way to the limiter no worries about it highsiding you or pulling a power wheely and flipping it over ,I'd like to see you adopt the same riding style on a litre sportsbike you would not see the day out.

The rest of your talk is simPly trolling,jealousy or down to your inexperience with bikes and engines,maybe even all three.

I

Edited by taninthai

day ..... power.

Really? I ride bikes for fun. I love bouncing it off the limiter. Whenever the road opens up, *bam* off the limiter in 3rd at around 105kph, *bam* off the limiter in 4th at around 120ish(?), into 5th and you're flying. Roll-ons until limiter-bouncing is great. Good wholesome fun that puts a smile on your dial. :)

I suspect that many who buy the CBR500 (as it looks like a sports bike) would also be so 'fun' inclined. :)

Of course lots of riders out there are boring riders, and of course there's nothing wrong with that. It would be odd of them to buy a bike that is presented as a sports bike like the CBR500 though.

People buying a bike purely for fun won't buy these bikes anyway IMO. It's a cheaper, less powerful version of the er6 range which was already a practical, safe (but good) choice...

The fact that the rev limiter is low on a bike of this nature is not really significant. It's like complaining that the pegs on a Honda Wave scrape the ground when you try and get your knee down.

• Like 2

Discussing something with ignorant and stubborn people without a rev limiter:lol: is a waste of time. This thread is nonsense.

This is what I was alluding to but am sadly and maybe stubbornly polite.

Edited by VocalNeal

^ I see we've met. smile.png

Personally, I like roll-ons.

Er-6n/f with the same peak power (8500 rpm) goes until over 11,000rpm, this cutting out at 9000rpm takes points away from it should I be deciding between the two. More than 20% more RPM to enjoy in a similar engined bike.

Odd that the most sportingly designed and marketed of them is the one that is minus the RPM's.

No need for people to get all upset about it.

ArguingOnTheInternetInCAPSLOCK.jpg

smile.png

Edited by Almera
  • Like 1

Lol...... Them 20% more revs are getting you no where,in fact if you had a short drag race between an er6 and cbr 500,you on the er6 takin it to max revs and the cbr rider changing gear at optimum rev range you may be in danger of losing the race,the cbr would be into the next gear hitting his peak power while you are to busy over revving the engine being fooled by the thoughts of higher revs means higher speed.....lol

Don't know did any one ever teach you how to ride a bike.

day ..... power.

Really? I ride bikes for fun. I love bouncing it off the limiter. Whenever the road opens up, *bam* off the limiter in 3rd at around 105kph, *bam* off the limiter in 4th at around 120ish(?), into 5th and you're flying. Roll-ons until limiter-bouncing is great. Good wholesome fun that puts a smile on your dial. :)

I suspect that many who buy the CBR500 (as it looks like a sports bike) would also be so 'fun' inclined. :)

People buying a bike purely for fun won't buy these bikes anyway IMO. It's a cheaper, less powerful version of the er6 range which was already a practical, safe (but good) choice...

The fact that the rev limiter is low on a bike of this nature is not really significant. It's like complaining that the pegs on a Honda Wave scrape the ground when you try and get your knee down.

Why did you buy a 250 cc ninja - fun bike in your terms - if a 500cc bike does not sound fun for you jonny?

day ..... power.

Really? I ride bikes for fun. I love bouncing it off the limiter. Whenever the road opens up, *bam* off the limiter in 3rd at around 105kph, *bam* off the limiter in 4th at around 120ish(?), into 5th and you're flying. Roll-ons until limiter-bouncing is great. Good wholesome fun that puts a smile on your dial. smile.png

I suspect that many who buy the CBR500 (as it looks like a sports bike) would also be so 'fun' inclined. smile.png

Why did you buy a 250 cc ninja - fun bike in your terms - if a 500cc bike does not sound fun for you jonny?

A few reasons. Firstly I like high revving small bore bikes, grew up on 125 2 stroke MX bikes (RM's, CR's etc). Secondly it was the best affordable legal option back in mid 2008 (there was no er6 range back then, no klx, no D Tracker, no Versys, no CBr over 150cc etc.). Thirdly I needed a bike to commute through rush hour traffic when I moved from Phuket to Bangkok, I was looking for an inline 4 but couldn't find a good example at the right price at short notice.

I'm not running down the CBR500 range, it's a solid workhorse and looks good, probably last forever. I love all bikes and have had some very enjoyable rides on a Nouvo (Phuket to Krabi sticks in my mind as a very fun trip on that bike). But I don't pretend any of my bikes are something they're not - there's no point.

• Like 1

Lol...... Them 20% more revs are getting you no where,

I'm afraid you're missing the point, and it's not a point one can really teach...

Pulling back and rolling on = fun.

Is that understandable?

in fact if you had a short drag race between an er6 and cbr 500,you on the er6 takin it to max revs and the cbr rider

changing gear at optimum rev range you may be in danger of losing the race, the cbr would be into the next gear hitting his peak power while

you are to busy over revving the engine being fooled by the thoughts of higher revs means higher speed.....lol

The only race I would care about would be the sides of my mouth racing high up into my cheeks.

Or to put it technically, the smile-on-your-dial-ometer.

Odd comment.

If one is lacking in other areas and needs to consciously focus on their shift points in order to maximize their vehicles acceleration in order to feel good or 'win', as opposed to pulling back and hanging on until the bike doesn't allow them to go on anymore, then into the next gear and doing the same, then hey, cool, go for it.

Don't think all of us are so anal about it though. :)

For me bikes are for fun. A bike with max power at 8500 and limiter at 9000, loses to max power at 8500 and limiter at 11000+, all day.

Sorry that it upsets people. :)

Lol...... Them 20% more revs are getting you no where,in fact if you had a short drag race between an er6 and cbr 500,you on the er6 takin it to max revs and the cbr rider changing gear at optimum rev range you may be in danger of losing the race,the cbr would be into the next gear hitting his peak power while you are to busy over revving the engine being fooled by the thoughts of higher revs means higher speed.....lol

Just read this again, and, well blimey is it from someone who doesn't understand the point. biggrin.png

Perhaps emoticons can help.

Max power at 8500, rolling on and hitting the limiter at 9000: smile.png

Max power at 8500, rolling on and hitting the limiter at 11000: biggrin.png

See the difference on the smile-on-your-dial-ometer?

Edited by Almera

I think the discussion should travel down the volumetric efficiency road. You take off the rev limiter and you probably won't gain much as the engine still has the same size intake, valve size and exhaust size. People are dreaming if they think they will get more from their 500cc engine by using more revs. Even the Isle of Man Honda team had to modify the hell out of their bike engine to get it competitive.

I think the discussion should travel down the volumetric efficiency road. You take off the rev limiter and you probably won't gain much as the engine still has the same size intake, valve size and exhaust size. People are dreaming if they think they will get more from their 500cc engine by using more revs. Even the Isle of Man Honda team had to modify the hell out of their bike engine to get it competitive.

correct its the same people that think there bike is going faster because they have put a noisy exhaust on it.....

^

seems a few on here cant grab that concept though,their arguements just come across as them being naive about different bike and engine characteristics, i think post above wraps this thread up nicely im done with this topic.

I suspect it isn't in the sales brochure either.

day ..... power.

Really? I ride bikes for fun. I love bouncing it off the limiter. Whenever the road opens up, *bam* off the limiter in 3rd at around 105kph, *bam* off the limiter in 4th at around 120ish(?), into 5th and you're flying. Roll-ons until limiter-bouncing is great. Good wholesome fun that puts a smile on your dial.

I suspect that many who buy the CBR500 (as it looks like a sports bike) would also be so 'fun' inclined.

A few reasons. Firstly I like high revving small bore bikes, grew up on 125 2 stroke MX bikes (RM's, CR's etc). Secondly it was the best affordable legal option back in mid 2008 (there was no er6 range back then, no klx, no D Tracker, no Versys, no CBr over 150cc etc.). Thirdly I needed a bike to commute through rush hour traffic when I moved from Phuket to Bangkok, I was looking for an inline 4 but couldn't find a good example at the right price at short notice.

I'm not running down the CBR500 range, it's a solid workhorse and looks good, probably last forever. I love all bikes and have had some very enjoyable rides on a Nouvo (Phuket to Krabi sticks in my mind as a very fun trip on that bike). But I don't pretend any of my bikes are something they're not - there's no point.

I bought my bike due to the many reasons you counted too jonny.

Except the fun factor. It is always about the rider not about the bike. Like you said a nuovo can be fun too for you but still not a cbr500?:lol:

For me even a honda wave or a 250 cc can be quite fun as i know how to extract the fun out of it. But i guess for some if it is all about having a powerful bike with chicken strips at the parking lot that do not even use its full potential or go for a track day etc. and pretending like: I am a super duper rider bc i have a super powerful 4 cylinder bike and i like to rev it to the moon :lol: my words are not only for you jonny. I know you are a mature guy that knows bikes.

Besides, if some ignorant people does not know anything about bikes thinking fun is on revving an engine, then why dont you just take the gear to neutral and rev it in your parking lot all day:D

Edited by loserlazer

er6 has 650 cc and 70hp , our thai version of cbr500cc delivers with 47hp in wich the u.s version gets 54hp.

but sure if you wanna talk about drag racing with this 2 in comparison lol.

seems a few on here cant grab that concept though,their arguements just come across as them being naive about different bike and engine characteristics,

I guess that's aimed at me. rolleyes.gif

I'm afraid you're still not fully clued in. The engine is designed the way it is, not to rev past 9000rpm. This is disappointing for a bike dressed and marketed as it is. For example to take a similar engine, midsized P-Twin with the same peak power at 8500, the Kawa 650 is designed to run up past 11000rpm despite having peak power at the same RPM.

Making it (more than likely) a more fun engine/bike for those that enjoy pulling back and rolling on. smile.png

Understandy?

Edited by Almera