2013 Honda Cbr500 Are Restricted At 9K Rpm

xastunts

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know if this adds any perspective but I once had 650 Pantah engined bike. 55hp @ 8500. Red line started at 9000. It didn't have rev limiter but there was little reason to go above 8500 for reasons that have been alluded to already in this thread.

Tried to add a picture of the tach showing the 9000 red-line but the board won't let me!

That the CB500 has a limiter set at 9000 doesn't detract from the bikes performance in any way. I suppose one could even use it as a tool? A little pressure on the gear shift and wait for the limiter to cut in?

you, please, do not open any topic about cbr500 or other 500 series man

as i am sure you want to post it on every single thread about 500 series and it looks confusing and really funny.

The only thing confusing and even funny is that you don't understand the purpose of having set a topic!

Let me explain it to you so that you atleast understand why!

When you set a topic you do it for the purpose to aim your comments and information regarding the topic. As in this case I started this thread to talk and inform members in thai visa especially those who are interested in motorcycles about the Rev limit set on 9000rpm.

Now the other thread I started has nothing to do with this! It's about tuning and performance modifications.

Perhaps now you understand why :D

There are quite a few happy CB500 owners out there by now and I haven't read any complaints from more sophisticated riders.

I believe Honda knows what they are doing, they are not new at this.

The new CB engines have a bore of 67mm and a stroke of 66,8mm for producing power at low and medium revs.

Maximum power is at 8,500 rpm, max torque at 7,000 rpm, so it wouldn't make any sense to rev the engine to 13,000 just because you "prefer that to be happy."

Also for a bit over 200K you can't expect a technological marvel, you get a simple but reliable twin that will probably last forever.

I suggest you read up on the history of the CB500 to understand what this bike is about: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_CB500_twin

If you want a Honda that has a higher redline I suggest a CB400, you can get a decent used one with book for less than 200K.

I have already been a happy owner of a cb400 super four vtec spec1. But those bikes are not in my interest no more. :)

Christ!It's the design of the engine. At 67mm stroke it's a very square bore/stroke ratio.good info but i still think rev limit at 9k is a joke and unaccepptable.why by a 500cc for over 200k and get that kind of limit?As mentioned a few times already it is a torques based engine. ( Low Rev )You ask why pay & get that limit? Well because that type of engineis what some are looking for .....Yes not everyone including myself.The reason for it is because even if the limiter was disabled & allowed to rev to 12,000 rpmyou would not get even 1 kph more speed out of it. Not one horsepower more, In fact you would slow downas the valves start to floatThat IS the design of the engine & its peak power has been reached.Not because the limit of RPM but the design of the engine.It would make no sense to have revvs climbing any further as there is no more power tobe made, no more purpose, you would actually slow down not speed up...understand?Funny though that the reason manufactures even have to put a rev limiter on enginesis because folks like you cannot feel the end of power & will rev the tits off it thinking youwill make more power & destroy the engine. Then probably try to claim it is a warranty service.There are different bikes with different bore x stroke ratiosIf you seek higher revs & a different style powerband they are there to be bought.

No the funny part is that you don't get what I mean.

I wasn't revving it on 100% really. I was more fast accelerating and it let me down before it even felt close to the limit.

Perhaps to make it more clear I didn't know it was such a lame engine power wise. And the Rev limit set 9k is already maxxed out for that engine. Will that make you happy?

as i am sure you want to post it on every single thread about 500 series and it looks confusing and really funny.

The only thing confusing and even funny is that you don't understand the purpose of having set a topic!

When you set a topic you do it for the purpose to aim your comments and information regarding the topic. As in this case I started this thread to talk and inform members in thai visa especially those who are interested in motorcycles about the Rev limit set on 9000rpm.

Now the other thread I started has nothing to do with this! It's about tuning and performance modifications.

Perhaps now you understand why :D

Xastunts where do I start ....you are new to the forum that's fine no one has a problem with that alot of the people here have been here 3,4,5+ years you can gain alot of information from them ,every bike has it's own thread here you only need 1 thread per bike you can ask any question in that thread and get an answer or start a discussion about it,you don't need to start a new thread every time you have a question or think you have some info to give out that just becomes annoying and you would end up with hundreds of threads I bet you haven't even read any of the previous 3000 posts on this thread all the info is there.

Obviously the cbr 500r is not for you ,your disappointed because you expected more from it no problem move on find the bike you like ,have you tried the er6 if not maybe hire one for a day if you don't like them then your options are really 2nd hand 600cc sports bikes which it sounds to me like that's what kind of bike your really after.

Oh forgot there is a benneli 600cc bike 275 k new ,but stepping into unknown territory

Edited by taninthai
  • Like 1

as i am sure you want to post it on every single thread about 500 series and it looks confusing and really funny.The only thing confusing and even funny is that you don't understand the purpose of having set a topic!

Perhaps now you understand why :DXastunts where do I start ....you are new to the forum that's fine no one has a problem with that alot of the people here have been here 3,4,5+ years you can gain alot of information from them ,every bike has it's own thread here you only need 1 thread per bike you can ask any question in that thread and get an answer or start a discussion about it,you don't need to start a new thread every time you have a question or think you have some info to give out that just becomes annoying and you would end up with hundreds of threads I bet you haven't even read any of the previous 3000 posts on this thread all the info is there.

Obviously the cbr 500r is not for you ,your disappointed because you expected more from it no problem move on find the bike you like ,have you tried the er6 if not maybe hire one for a day if you don't like them then your options are really 2nd hand 600cc sports bikes which it sounds to me like that's what kind of bike your really after.

Oh forgot there is a benneli 600cc bike 275 k new ,but stepping into unknown territory

Thanks for the hostility!

I wasn't revving it on 100% really. I was more fast accelerating and it let me down before it even felt close to the limit.

Perhaps to make it more clear I didn't know it was such a lame engine power wise. And the Rev limit set 9k is already maxxed out for that engine. Will that make you happy?

No what you meant was clear to everyone

since you posted it in so many different threads/topics even the for sale section smile.png

We understand you did not like it & it was disappointing to you.

We understand you may have even gotten a bad example low on gas rolleyes.gif

Yes your final sentence above is more clear.....for you wink.png

Since I think everyone already knew exactly what you were saying as we read your ten or more

cut & paste posts.

Many tried nicely to explain to you why it is what it is.

Perhaps the simplest thing to tell you is literally

Different Strokes for different folks smile.png

Good luck

Edited by mania
  • Like 2

Xastunts....Taninthai isn't dissing you . When you are on this particular forum all you have to do is put their name instead of the full quote X 3-4 replies. Anyone that has been following Thai bike forum pretty much knows the posters views & will pick up your drift with just the name. One the other sidenote Although the 500 is not for me either everyone has different bike wishes & requirements & it is a great thing we have different points of views on things. Otherwise we would have zero choices on bikes when the engineers get together. I too think you would be better off with a 600 inline 4 or an Er6n 650ish bike that would give you the juice you need to enjoy your ride.

But nobody is really slamming you...You would know cause you would be getting trolled to say somethiming poorly to lead you to a permanent ban.

Xastunts....Taninthai isn't dissing you . When you are on this particular forum all you have to do is put their name instead of the full quote X 3-4 replies. Anyone that has been following Thai bike forum pretty much knows the posters views & will pick up your drift with just the name. One the other sidenote Although the 500 is not for me either everyone has different bike wishes & requirements & it is a great thing we have different points of views on things. Otherwise we would have zero choices on bikes when the engineers get together. I too think you would be better off with a 600 inline 4 or an Er6n 650ish bike that would give you the juice you need to enjoy your ride.

But nobody is really slamming you...You would know cause you would be getting trolled to say somethiming poorly to lead you to a permanent ban.

i have to say that i do appreciate all the good and useful answer that i have been given in this thread,however they where very few.

one member explaining about the build of the engine stroke ratios etc. i believe his nick name was mania but its not really that relevant to know.

but most of the replys where just un necessary complaints about stuff that i dont know what im talking about and etc.

i do know what im talking about! red line is there or not but one should appreciate to know that this particular engines wont rev more than 9000 rpm due to its build and due to its rev limit.

and for sure the salesman at honda wont tell you those things unless you squeeze it out of them like i did.

i am not against you to go and buy the cbr500 as a matter of fact i was going to myself until i found out about this performance issues.

now if im getting banned cause of talking the way i do then i dont know what im doing in here.

thanks for all the useful information though! i appreciate those who took the time to talk properly instead of all this haters you do got in here.

anyways i wish you all safe riding in thailand and keep living your dreams!

over and out...

The guy seems a bit nuts, but interesting, I presumed the limiter would be 1-2k rpm past redline. It being limited at 9k is a bit sucky, to say the least. At least on the version they dressed up as a sport's bike.

anyways do you know about the 2011-2013 cbr250r and 2011-2013 crf250l if its the same deal there?

CBR250 redlines at 10.5k and limiter is at 11.5k. Don't know about the CRF.

I've always found that limiter-bouncing is fun little hobby when the road opens up.

cause the cbr150r fi dont have no rev limiter what i know about.

I'm pretty sure that isn't true. It redlines later than the CBR250, I think at 11.5k rpm. I would be surprised if it isn't limited at 12.5k rpm.

Edited by Almera

Christ!It's the design of the engine. At 67mm stroke it's a very square bore/stroke ratio.good info but i still think rev limit at 9k is a joke and unaccepptable.why by a 500cc for over 200k and get that kind of limit?As mentioned a few times already it is a torques based engine. ( Low Rev )You ask why pay & get that limit? Well because that type of engineis what some are looking for .....Yes not everyone including myself.The reason for it is because even if the limiter was disabled & allowed to rev to 12,000 rpmyou would not get even 1 kph more speed out of it. Not one horsepower more, In fact you would slow downas the valves start to floatThat IS the design of the engine & its peak power has been reached.Not because the limit of RPM but the design of the engine.It would make no sense to have revvs climbing any further as there is no more power tobe made, no more purpose, you would actually slow down not speed up...understand?Funny though that the reason manufactures even have to put a rev limiter on enginesis because folks like you cannot feel the end of power & will rev the tits off it thinking youwill make more power & destroy the engine. Then probably try to claim it is a warranty service.There are different bikes with different bore x stroke ratiosIf you seek higher revs & a different style powerband they are there to be bought.

OK.. let me get this straight. You tested the bike at Honda Big wing in Bangkok.. correct?

Big wing test rides are on a relatively small track. Correct?

And yet now you claim you were not revving it 100%. If you got it into the red in 1st gear. I would say you were revving it 100%.

It's also absurd to say that mania's description of the engine design is not relevant. It explains exactly WHY this engine is not a rev monster. Honda have built the engine for every day riding were you want the power down low in the rev range.. for a none sports/racer bike that's were you want it.

If you want a rev monster go get yourself a Cbr250 mc22. 18000rpm red line. No power under 3000rpm. And just to do 60-70kmh you have about 6000rpm. Cool

sent from my phone with TV Android app. if the Quotes are screwed its not my fault. its the bloody app.

• Like 1

OK.. let me get this straight. You tested the bike at Honda Big wing in Bangkok.. correct?

Big wing test rides are on a relatively small track. Correct?

And yet now you claim you were not revving it 100%. If you got it into the red in 1st gear. I would say you were revving it 100%.

It's also absurd to say that mania's description of the engine design is not relevant. It explains exactly WHY this engine is not a rev monster. Honda have built the engine for every day riding were you want the power down low in the rev range.. for a none sports/racer bike that's were you want it.

If you want a rev monster go get yourself a Cbr250 mc22. 18000rpm red line. No power under 3000rpm. And just to do 60-70kmh you have about 6000rpm. Cool

sent from my phone with TV Android app. if the Quotes are screwed its not my fault. its the bloody app.

I said I think his name was mania but that wasn't relevant. Do you understand? Did you read the whole message? I stated that he explain about the engine and that it was good to know. His name wasn't relevant cause its the info that counts and not who is providing it. How ever I do appreciate that he took his time to explain about it. Cause now I got a different picture of the bike. I thought Honda put that limit as a restriction but it's more the engine that can't take to much more higher rpm.

If anything is unclear please ask me and I will be happy to explain. Thanks!

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I don't give a sh1t as I wasn't going to buy one anyway. You would be a bit soft in the head buying a 500 when for a bit more you can have a Er6n.

abit more is about 75k if not more as the prices at kawasaki whent up again as usuall. and yes i think i must be abit soft in the head trying to explain this to you wich im certain you will have no understanding for anyways.

What ever floats your boat sunshine.

• Like 1

So there is some good technology in this security system not bad for what a lot offpeoPle pn here call a cheap basic commuter bike I'm a little more impressed by this bike now.

TBH, the first thought that crosses my mind is, well, what did they scrimp on to put that in and still meet the cheap price-point.

Personally I'd prefer a bike with 100% of production cost going into the bike, not a fancy security system.

The N250 looks better with every post about the 500 series to be honest.

Edited by Almera

It's a bit odd that posters who have these failed to mention it before.

I suspect it isn't in the sales brochure either. :rolleyes:

All the redline etc information stated here before clearly so if OP and you read cbr500 thread, you can get information about redline of cbr500. But clearly you two did not so again almera and OP just read and check things before posting anything here man please.

Edited by loserlazer

^ We're discussing the limiter, not the redline.

A link to where it was previously stated by an owner that the CBR500 is limited to 9000rpm??

Thanks in advance.

Edit.

Just went to the CBR500 thread and searched using the words 'limiter' and 'limited', nope, nothing in there. Not one owner mentioning that it is limited to 9000rpm.

Perhaps check things before posting, man.

Edited by Almera

Where is the redline, there is the limiter in most modern bikes maybe little bit more rpm above redline in some cases but not that much.

So when we post something about redline, many bikers with basic knowledge on bikes understand that rev limiter is over there somewhere. When i am posting something, i assume that people have some common understanding on bikes here which more of us here do unlike you and OP i guess.

Edited by loserlazer

Additional to what Loserlazer said, all modern motorcycles have a rev limiter... As we all buy a new motorcycle with the prospect that will stay with us a bit longer than a full race bike, and that the service cost is much lower... and less intense... Real race bikes from professional teams will get the attention of a team of dedicated mechanics... after every race... and a race is often takes just over an hour... Imagine that you had to service your engine after riding a one and half hour... I'm quite happy with the rev limiter on the average modern motorcycle...

So there is some good technology in this security system not bad for what a lot offpeoPle pn here call a cheap basic commuter bike I'm a little more impressed by this bike now.

TBH, the first thought that crosses my mind is, well, what did they scrimp on to put that in and still meet the cheap price-point.

Personally I'd prefer a bike with 100% of production cost going into the bike, not a fancy security system.

id say thats just negative thinking ,what did they scrimp on probably nothing it was never specced to be a top spec bike in the first place.

i cant actually believe you are being so pedantic about the limiter / redline,for me i always thought the limiter kicked in at the start of the redline and it does on the vehicle i checked so its no issue for me.

n250 wins hands down looks wise but if i buy a road bike here i want to do some touring on it so 250cc engine out of the question for me ,the cbr range dont know never even seen one yet so i would have to test ride one first ,at the moment until i get to see/ ride 500 range i think i would probably go for the kawasaki 650 range.

Where is the redline, there is the limiter in most modern bikes maybe little bit more rpm above redline in some cases but not that much. So when we post something about redline, many bikers with basic knowledge on bikes understand that rev limiter is over there somewhere. When i am posting something, i assume that people have some common understanding on bikes here which more of us here do unlike you and OP i guess.

I'm afraid you're vastly incorrect if you think that most bikes are limited at redline.

Most are at around 1,000-2,000 past redline. Big difference, especially on a bike with such a small RPM range anyway.

No need to get upset about it... Though I would be interested in a short list of modern bikes that have limiters at redline, if you have the time to inform me. smile.png

As long as every one planning on buying one knows what they are getting: A bike that cannot go past 9000rpm. I think buyers of the CB500 and CB500X wouldn't likely to be too disappointed, but those buying the CBR500 thinking they are buying a sports bike would deserve to know.

Edited by Almera
  • Like 1

id say thats just negative thinking ,what did they scrimp on probably nothing it was never specced to be a top spec bike in the first place.

Negative thinking, you could well be right. :D TBH though, I wouldn't care for such security systems, and on a cheap bike would prefer the cost of it to have been spent on improving the build, quality and parts.... That's just me though. :)

i cant actually believe you are being so pedantic about the limiter / redline,

Not pedantic. Just surprised and disappointed.

In the probable words of TonyBKK : "A CBR limited to 9000rpm. <deleted>?!?!?" :D

^

Oh sounds like you are comparing it to or had visions of it being the same as the superbike range that is called cbr rr, obviously thinking like that you would be dussapointed

Sent from my GT-P7500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

^ Oh sounds like you are comparing it to or had visions of it being the same as the superbike range that is called cbr rr, obviously thinking like that you would be dussapointed Sent from my GT-P7500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

No, I was originally disappointed to see it had a redline around 9000rpm. And not like the 250 @ 10.5k rpm or 150 @ 11.5k rpm.

I think everybody was, tbh.

Now upon learning that on top of this the rev limiter kicks in bang-on at redline at 9k rpm, and not at least 1k after like the 250 (11.5k) or 150 (12.5k), it is doubly disappointing.

It will of course suit some people, and not others. As long as those thinking of buying one know what they're getting.

Edited by Almera

^ Oh sounds like you are comparing it to or had visions of it being the same as the superbike range that is called cbr rr, obviously thinking like that you would be dussapointed Sent from my GT-P7500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

No, I was originally disappointed to see it had a redline around 9000rpm. And not like the 250 @ 10.5k rpm or 150 @ 11.5k rpm.

I think everybody was, tbh.

Now upon learning that on top of this the rev limiter kicks in bang-on at redline at 9k rpm, and not at least 1k after like the 250 (11.5k) or 150 (12.5k), it is doubly disappointing.

Many people have mentioned peak power is 8500rpm so it dont really matter, the people that own them seem happy enough with the engine

And i have never seen or ridden one so im in no position to comment on its power range although my expectation are not sky high so i would probably have no problem with this bike

Sent from my GT-P7500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app