2013 Honda Cbr500 Are Restricted At 9K Rpm

xastunts

hi there! i would like to inform you that i have test riden the 2013 cbr500r and also cbr500x at the honda big wing dealer in bkk ram intra district. while riding it gentle i felt it was a pretty good bike for the money. i then took both the bikes for a 2nd ride and this time i revved as much as i could on the short little test track they offered me to ride it.

//////and this is the important part!

way long time before the redline the ecu shuts the engine to idle! like if u revved up and then hold in the clutch.

i found this out by accelerating fast as i could and then swith to 2nd gear and the bike was stuttering like i kept the clutch in for atleast 1 full second.

the salesman first told me that it might be that its not enough gas in the tank and its gonna be allright when i ride it with more gas.

ofcourse i was very suspicious about this and after all we are in thailand and you cant really trust any salesman down here.

so i went straight to check how much gas was in the tank and it was indeed on low blinking and i also checked the cbr500r gas indicator. this test i found it out during testing the cbr500x (touring off road version) . the cbr500r seemed to had a little bit more gas in it.

how ever i managed to talked the info out of the salesman and he told me hondas cbr500 series bikes are programmed to shut off engine response at 9000 rpm!! .

he said that honda decieded to do this cause of costumers driving the shit out of the engines and claiming it within the 1st engine warranty year.

please keep this in mind if you consider buying the 2013 cbr500 series.

• Like 1

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^

jeez calm down this is the 6th time you have posted this in 10 minuets ,we already know this.it's normal for every car or bike to have a rev limiter see my reply in other thread

well i didnt post multiple post on same topics. if you look in the forum there is many topics out there regarding honda 500cc bikes.

and i never saw nobody mentioned they knew about this information.

where is your thread regarding this?

and dont tell me you think its normal to have a rev limiter set at 9000 rpm LOOOL.

anyways your welcome!

It's normal for the new Honda range,I believe the n700 rev limiter cuts in before 9000 rpm and as for my own Honda yes that has a rev limiter too but can't tell you what revs it cuts in at because it don't have a rev counter

Welcome to the all new economical friendly bike ranges

Edited by taninthai

It's normal for the new Honda range,I believe the n700 rev limiter cuts in before 9000 rpm and as for my own Honda yes that has a rev limiter too but can't tell you what revs it cuts in at because it don't have a rev counter

i personally think this is very much un acepptable! 9rpm is not just enough!

anyways do you know about the 2011-2013 cbr250r and 2011-2013 crf250l if its the same deal there?

cause the cbr150r fi dont have no rev limiter what i know about.

thanks for reply.

Every bike has a rev limiter you would blow your engine in a matter of hours without one,yes cbr ,CRf same same I have the CRf but it comes without rev counter so font know when it cuts in probably the same around 9000 rpm,now an inline 4 different story I think my 600 cc Honda revs to around 17,000 rpm but two completely different types of engine

May I suggest you buy a CBR 600 RR. It would appear to conform to your requirements far more than a CBR 500 R, F or X. The CBR 500 is not an out-and-out sports bike but rather an easy-to-ride entry-level mid-size bike.

Edited by Briggsy

Just googled it and it looks like redline starts at 9k, the same point that the rev limiter kicks in.

That's a bit unusual, most bikes rev limiters kick in at the end of the redline not the start, but like other posters have said it's really a commuter bike with 3 different dresses available (r, f and x) so it's not particularly surprising IMO, you can't expect supersport performance at that price level.

so, you say cbr500r has a rev limiter at 9000 rpm? wow very interestingwhistling.gif

and yes, if you have very less petrol - like 1 or 2 liters - in your tank and if you are going hard on throttle, bike does not respond for a second.

And i wish it has the limiter on 10.000 rpm at least but anyway, will move it to there with a power commander anywaybiggrin.png

Edited by loserlazer

May I suggest you buy a CBR 600 RR. It would appear to conform to your requirements far more than a CBR 500 R, F or X. The CBR 500 is not an out-and-out sports bike but rather an easy-to-ride entry-level mid-size bike.

may i suggest you stick to the topic and understand this is very useful information for a rider before buying a bike and that this info shouldnt be discovered out oneself during riding it home on the road!

pls dont be rude and just stick to the topics!

Just googled it and it looks like redline starts at 9k, the same point that the rev limiter kicks in.

That's a bit unusual, most bikes rev limiters kick in at the end of the redline not the start, but like other posters have said it's really a commuter bike with 3 different dresses available (r, f and x) so it's not particularly surprising IMO, you can't expect supersport performance at that price level.

beginners bike or not ,commuter bike or not what is important is that the buyer get to know about this redline limit at only 9k rpm before he buys the bike! then if the buyer aceppts this however thats his/hers call.

may i suggest you stick to the topic and understand this is very useful information for a rider before buying a bike and that this info shouldnt be discovered out oneself during riding it home on the road!

pls dont be rude and just stick to the topics!

What about if you just change the exhaust with the extra sound you may then think its revving higher problem solved.

Question for you op, do you constantly ride taking your bike to the rev limiter in every gear then.

beginners bike or not ,commuter bike or not what is important is that the buyer get to know about this redline limit at only 9k rpm before he buys the bike! then if the buyer aceppts this however thats his/hers call.

My friend, if the buyer looks at the rev counter, he/she can see the redline starting from 8800 rpm right away. You do not need to state it here.

Christ!

It's the design of the engine. At 67mm stroke it's a very square bore/stroke ratio.

Such engines don't like revving, as a matter of fact, torque starts going down so fast at high revs that you simply won't get any more net power by revving faster.

Getting a rev limiter kicking in 200 rpm higher then redline makes simply sense, stops newbies wrecking engines and reduces warranty repairs.

Kwakker had a more stupid restriction on their 250 (klx/dtracker) bikes, where the ignition was getting retarded above 8000 rpm in gear 3 and higher (on a 10500 rpm redline engine).

That was not engine protection but driving style limitation.

Edited by pdebuck456
  • Like 2

To be honest, i think there are very few people in the

market for this bike that would want/expect the engine to continue giving substantial

power after 9000rpm, posting this ‘important information’ is great for those who

expect the 500 to rev to 16,000rpm+….

Just looking at the bike in the showroom and glancing at the tacho will

highlight how low the rev range is on this bike (square engine as mentioned

above)

You will need to triple your money and then you should be able to buy a bike

that suits your requirement :)

• Like 2

I thought it was the opposite and the rev limiter should kick in at the start of the redline,can't check the bike no rev counter,but checked in car and limiter kicks in at start of redline at 4000rpm....lol this is a warning to everyone d-max izuzu is limited to 4000rpm beware

I don't give a sh1t as I wasn't going to buy one anyway. You would be a bit soft in the head buying a 500 when for a bit more you can have a Er6n.

Soft in the head really does that go out to baby ninja 250 owners too they could have got a 500 for a bit more , cmon I think you know some people buy the bike or brand they like and will drop some cc or looks for it.

• Like 1

I thought it was the opposite and the rev limiter should kick in at the start of the redline,can't check the bike no rev counter,but checked in car and limiter kicks in at start of redline at 4000rpm....lol this is a warning to everyone d-max izuzu is limited to 4000rpm beware

Not in my experience, if the bike cuts out at redline then what is the point of the extra 1000-2000 rpm displayed on the tach beyond that? The bike could never achieve those RPM's so it's misleading.

I don't ride at that high RPM (beyond the redline) as you're better off shifting before you get to that point but I wouldn't expect the bike to hit the limiter too early either, I'd rather feel the power tail off gradually and grab an extra gear rather than have an abrupt stop.

Having said that, most people buying these bikes will never notice this issue.

My thoughts were that the rev limiter kicks in at the start of the redline ,then say your rev limiter stopped working you would no straight away because the revs would be going into the redline ,if the limiter kicked in at the end of the redline you would never know if your limiter had failed, who knows maybe all manufactures are a little different some might kick in say 1000 rpm past the redline.

Not in my experience, if the bike cuts out at redline then what is the point of the extra 1000-2000 rpm displayed on the tach beyond that? The bike could never achieve those RPM's so it's misleading.

I don't ride at that high RPM (beyond the redline) as you're better off shifting before you get to that point but I wouldn't expect the bike to hit the limiter too early either, I'd rather feel the power tail off gradually and grab an extra gear rather than have an abrupt stop.

Having said that, most people buying these bikes will never notice this issue.

We have had one poster talking about this.. who rode what i would imagine to be a BRAND new test (stock) bike and then proceeded to rev it to redline in 1st gear..a pretty mean feat on a bike not broken in.....And then promptly posts it ALL over TV.. Can others who have the 500 let us know how the rev limiter works .. is it abrupt like claimed.. or does it just shut one cylinder or just retards the ignition slightly..

Not to self do not buy a bike from Honda Ram intra as some twank has probably revved the nuts of it.

The rev limiter always should cut the enginge _inside_ the red area, not directly at the beginning of red. Or you would always risk to get "limited" when going near red line. I remember that not long ago many people claimed the CBR500 is lame with such low revs. So the OP isn't that wrong, but maybe a bit late with his "important news" smile.png

The rev limiter always should cut the enginge _inside_ the red area, not directly at the beginning of red. Or you would always risk to get "limited" when going near red line. I remember that not long ago many people claimed the CBR500 is lame with such low revs. So the OP isn't that wrong, but maybe a bit late with his "important news" smile.png

Wantan... We don't really know what happens.. The Op's threads have been fairly emotionally worded. To the point that i do not really understand exactly what he means.

I will reserve judgement until i ride one. I know my Cbr250 response and feel changed over the 1st 3-500km's as it bedded in.

Wantan... We don't really know what happens.. The Op's threads have been fairly emotionally worded. To the point that i do not really understand exactly what he means.

I will reserve judgement until i ride one. I know my Cbr250 response and feel changed over the 1st 3-500km's as it bedded in.

Yep, i agree. I just said what imo a rev limiter "should do". And i recalled what other people have said long ago. Nothing against the CB500(R or F or X). I like this bike although i have never ridden one. But i know i would like it :)

The rev limiter always should cut the enginge _inside_ the red area, not directly at the beginning of red. Or you would always risk to get "limited" when going near red line. I remember that not long ago many people claimed the CBR500 is lame with such low revs. So the OP isn't that wrong, but maybe a bit late with his "important news"

what part of the words in english that the honda cbr 500cc x/f/r is all having a rev limiter set at 9000 rpm dont you understand?

i dont know i could possible explain it in a more understanding way.

well i dont think its nothing normal at all to have set it that low at 9000 rpm. i think its just a way to not having to deal with the engine faults that very rarely would have occured from inexperienced riders.

the salesmans response to the limit was that honda didnt want nobody to come and claim the engine was faulty within the 1 year of engine warranty.