2013 Honda Cbr500 Are Restricted At 9K Rpm

xastunts

so, you say cbr500r has a rev limiter at 9000 rpm? wow very interesting

and yes, if you have very less petrol - like 1 or 2 liters - in your tank and if you are going hard on throttle, bike does not respond for a second.

And i wish it has the limiter on 10.000 rpm at least but anyway, will move it to there with a power commander anyway

salesman also told me that it wasnt that easy to just change the ecu or other performance parts ,o2 sensor,air mixture mods etc. he mentioned that due to that its a fuel injected model it would be possible needed to change alot of parts like those needles for the fuel mapping to work properly, lets hope its just enough with a power commander anyway.

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

May I suggest you buy a CBR 600 RR. It would appear to conform to your requirements far more than a CBR 500 R, F or X. The CBR 500 is not an out-and-out sports bike but rather an easy-to-ride entry-level mid-size bike.

may i suggest you stick to the topic and understand this is very useful information for a rider before buying a bike and that this info shouldnt be discovered out oneself during riding it home on the road!

pls dont be rude and just stick to the topics!

What about if you just change the exhaust with the extra sound you may then think its revving higher problem solved.

Question for you op, do you constantly ride taking your bike to the rev limiter in every gear then.

will you atleast think a little bit before you post! loool

i know you mentioned earlier that its normal with a rev limit on 9000rpm but i DONT AGREE.

and after all i have test ridden it! and until you have i dont think you have much to say regarding this!

it chokes when accellerating fast and just right when i put 2nd gear i felt like the clutch was jammed in for 1 full second.

i wouldnt want to buy a 2013 honda cbr500r and get this nonsense while riding it though! i dont know about you others out there but im just pretty happy with giving this information out quickly before one poor bastards finds this out later and gets unsatisfied with the bikes restricted performance and thats all i had in my mind.

Just googled it and it looks like redline starts at 9k, the same point that the rev limiter kicks in.

That's a bit unusual, most bikes rev limiters kick in at the end of the redline not the start, but like other posters have said it's really a commuter bike with 3 different dresses available (r, f and x) so it's not particularly surprising IMO, you can't expect supersport performance at that price level.

beginners bike or not ,commuter bike or not what is important is that the buyer get to know about this redline limit at only 9k rpm before he buys the bike! then if the buyer aceppts this however thats his/hers call.

My friend, if the buyer looks at the rev counter, he/she can see the redline starting from 8800 rpm right away. You do not need to state it here.

lol

Christ!

It's the design of the engine. At 67mm stroke it's a very square bore/stroke ratio.

Such engines don't like revving, as a matter of fact, torque starts going down so fast at high revs that you simply won't get any more net power by revving faster.

Getting a rev limiter kicking in 200 rpm higher then redline makes simply sense, stops newbies wrecking engines and reduces warranty repairs.

Kwakker had a more stupid restriction on their 250 (klx/dtracker) bikes, where the ignition was getting retarded above 8000 rpm in gear 3 and higher (on a 10500 rpm redline engine).

That was not engine protection but driving style limitation.

good info but i still think rev limit at 9k is a joke and unaccepptable.

why by a 500cc for over 200k and get that kind of limit?

Just googled it and it looks like redline starts at 9k, the same point that the rev limiter kicks in.

That's a bit unusual, most bikes rev limiters kick in at the end of the redline not the start, but like other posters have said it's really a commuter bike with 3 different dresses available (r, f and x) so it's not particularly surprising IMO, you can't expect supersport performance at that price level.

beginners bike or not ,commuter bike or not what is important is that the buyer get to know about this redline limit at only 9k rpm before he buys the bike! then if the buyer aceppts this however thats his/hers call.

To be honest, i think there are very few people in the

market for this bike that would want/expect the engine to continue giving substantial

power after 9000rpm, posting this ‘important information’ is great for those who

expect the 500 to rev to 16,000rpm+….

Just looking at the bike in the showroom and glancing at the tacho will

highlight how low the rev range is on this bike (square engine as mentioned

above)

You will need to triple your money and then you should be able to buy a bike

that suits your requirement :)

sure youre right About that its a low budget bike , but i think they could atleast put the rev limit on 10 if not 11k. i would prefer 13k though to be happy.

I thought it was the opposite and the rev limiter should kick in at the start of the redline,can't check the bike no rev counter,but checked in car and limiter kicks in at start of redline at 4000rpm....lol this is a warning to everyone d-max izuzu is limited to 4000rpm beware

here we talk about rev limit on a honda 500cc sports bike and you compare it to rev limit of an izuzu! loool now i know where that knowledge of thinking is coming from ;)

I don't give a sh1t as I wasn't going to buy one anyway. You would be a bit soft in the head buying a 500 when for a bit more you can have a Er6n.

abit more is about 75k if not more as the prices at kawasaki whent up again as usuall. and yes i think i must be abit soft in the head trying to explain this to you wich im certain you will have no understanding for anyways.

I thought it was the opposite and the rev limiter should kick in at the start of the redline,can't check the bike no rev counter,but checked in car and limiter kicks in at start of redline at 4000rpm....lol this is a warning to everyone d-max izuzu is limited to 4000rpm beware

Not in my experience, if the bike cuts out at redline then what is the point of the extra 1000-2000 rpm displayed on the tach beyond that? The bike could never achieve those RPM's so it's misleading.

I don't ride at that high RPM (beyond the redline) as you're better off shifting before you get to that point but I wouldn't expect the bike to hit the limiter too early either, I'd rather feel the power tail off gradually and grab an extra gear rather than have an abrupt stop.

Having said that, most people buying these bikes will never notice this issue.

well ofcourse if you just drive it gentle you wont have any issue with it. im just not one of those who would buy a cbr500r and then riding it like i would on a harley. but as you said that you wouldnt expect the bike to hit the limiter too early thats exactly what the problem is! it is too early!

Not in my experience, if the bike cuts out at redline then what is the point of the extra 1000-2000 rpm displayed on the tach beyond that? The bike could never achieve those RPM's so it's misleading.

I don't ride at that high RPM (beyond the redline) as you're better off shifting before you get to that point but I wouldn't expect the bike to hit the limiter too early either, I'd rather feel the power tail off gradually and grab an extra gear rather than have an abrupt stop.

We have had one poster talking about this.. who rode what i would imagine to be a BRAND new test (stock) bike and then proceeded to rev it to redline in 1st gear..a pretty mean feat on a bike not broken in.....And then promptly posts it ALL over TV.. Can others who have the 500 let us know how the rev limiter works .. is it abrupt like claimed.. or does it just shut one cylinder or just retards the ignition slightly..

Not to self do not buy a bike from Honda Ram intra as some twank has probably revved the nuts of it.

haha! i do believe the bikes they sell there are brand new and has zero on the clock for you.

The rev limiter always should cut the enginge _inside_ the red area, not directly at the beginning of red. Or you would always risk to get "limited" when going near red line. I remember that not long ago many people claimed the CBR500 is lame with such low revs. So the OP isn't that wrong, but maybe a bit late with his "important news"

well i apologize if im late with my news then. :)

The bike is designed and tuned to comply with the horsepower limit for the new European licence laws. It is an easy to ride all rounder with moderate performance and Honda has never claimed otherwise. If you want a new, powerful, high revving bike here you'll need to dust off your wallet and pay 3 times as much as the CBR500 costs.

There are quite a few happy CB500 owners out there by now and I haven't read any complaints from more sophisticated riders.

I believe Honda knows what they are doing, they are not new at this.

The new CB engines have a bore of 67mm and a stroke of 66,8mm for producing power at low and medium revs.

Maximum power is at 8,500 rpm, max torque at 7,000 rpm, so it wouldn't make any sense to rev the engine to 13,000 just because you "prefer that to be happy."

Also for a bit over 200K you can't expect a technological marvel, you get a simple but reliable twin that will probably last forever.

I suggest you read up on the history of the CB500 to understand what this bike is about: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_CB500_twin

If you want a Honda that has a higher redline I suggest a CB400, you can get a decent used one with book for less than 200K.

• Like 1

So what the Honda CBR500R is limited at 9,000rpm, the Triumph Rocket III is limited to not rev over something like 4,000rpm but the performance is still something what is not for everybody....

High revving engines and fuel efficiency are often not going well together. The Honda CBR500R is tuned for fuel efficiency and not for top shot performance. The “R” in CBR500R is not even stands for “Race” it means “Real”...

The letters for the 500 is discussed on many forums around the world, but one time a Honda designer told me that the letters mean frame type, engine style and mounting, and terrain type … if that is right the “R” in front of 500 has the likely meaning of Road...

SiwKdWiRYG0320140318.jpg

so, you say cbr500r has a rev limiter at 9000 rpm? wow very interesting

and yes, if you have very less petrol - like 1 or 2 liters - in your tank and if you are going hard on throttle, bike does not respond for a second.

And i wish it has the limiter on 10.000 rpm at least but anyway, will move it to there with a power commander anyway

salesman also told me that it wasnt that easy to just change the ecu or other performance parts ,o2 sensor,air mixture mods etc. he mentioned that due to that its a fuel injected model it would be possible needed to change alot of parts like those needles for the fuel mapping to work properly, lets hope its just enough with a power commander anyway.

When in Thailand one must remember that the salesperson may or may not understand or know the answer to your question. In this country a guess is equal to a fact and they are handed out with equal confidence. The important thing is to have an answer for every question, even when it is extracted anally.

Edited by canuckamuck

The salesman is correct the ECU on the Honda CB 500 series is equipped with a security so if you change the ECU you also need to change the lock and you need other keys and a few more things...

The Honda CB 500 Series is equipped with Honda HISS security system, which makes every key unique.

The service manual describes that replacing the ECU also means replacing the ignition lock and all other locks, plus a good amount of other parts..

Personally I would not recommend tempering with the ECU or fuel system without you know what you're doing. If you need to replace the ECU or any other parts of the fueling system you will be shocked how much the repair will cost. And tempering with the ECU is not something that is covered under the warranty...

I will not talk in detail how the Honda HISS system works on the CB 500 series, I will tell only that this system is more complex than the HISS system you my have encountered on earlier Honda motorcycles...

Edited by Richard-BKK
  • Like 1

The salesman is correct the ECU on the Honda CB 500 series is equipped with a security so if you change the ECU you also need to change the lock and you need other keys and a few more things...

The Honda CB 500 Series is equipped with Honda HISS security system, which makes every key unique.

The service manual describes that replacing the ECU also means replacing the ignition lock and all other locks, plus a good amount of other parts..

Personally I would not recommend tempering with the ECU or fuel system without you know what you're doing. If you need to replace the ECU or any other parts of the fueling system you will be shocked how much the repair will cost. And tempering with the ECU is not something that is covered under the warranty...

I will not talk in detail how the Honda HISS system works on the CB 500 series, I will tell only that this system is more complex than the HISS system you my have encountered on earlier Honda motorcycles...

I wouldn't have thought that would affect a piggy back unit though...... Like a powercommander.. They are after all going to be doing a Cup racing series for the bike.

It's normal for the new Honda range,I believe the n700 rev limiter cuts in before 9000 rpm and as for my own Honda yes that has a rev limiter too but can't tell you what revs it cuts in at because it don't have a rev counter

Welcome to the all new economical friendly bike ranges

well i dont think its nothing normal at all to have set it that low at 9000 rpm. i think its just a way to not having to deal with the engine faults that very rarely would have occured from inexperienced riders.

the salesmans response to the limit was that honda didnt want nobody to come and claim the engine was faulty within the 1 year of engine warranty.

where does redline start and where does it end?

We have had one poster talking about this.. who rode what i would imagine to be a BRAND new test (stock) bike and then proceeded to rev it to redline in 1st gear..a pretty mean feat on a bike not broken in.....And then promptly posts it ALL over TV.. Can others who have the 500 let us know how the rev limiter works .. is it abrupt like claimed.. or does it just shut one cylinder or just retards the ignition slightly..

Not to self do not buy a bike from Honda Ram intra as some twank has probably revved the nuts of it.

haha! i do believe the bikes they sell there are brand new and has zero on the clock for you.

So they have proper demonstrator bikes.. That you can ride on the road in a test ride?

I wouldn't have thought that would affect a piggy back unit though...... Like a powercommander.. They are after all going to be doing a Cup racing series for the bike.

The PGM-FI units used with the Honda CB 500 series can accept alternative input, for example from a Dynoyet Power Commander (not sure if Dynoyet has a CBR500R model available), but a Honda CB 500 series will never work without the ECU connected and controlling the engine...

Honda security is pretty good, because if somebody steals your CBR500R and wants to sell it as parts the thief’s will find that it's much more profitable to steal other motorcycles than a Honda 500 series as all the expensive parts are useless if stolen...

Additional the maximum revving of the engine can be overwritten by instructions from and alternative input... (this is currently pure theoretical, but likely aftermarket tuning part manufacturers will use this....)

The rev limiter always should cut the enginge _inside_ the red area, not directly at the beginning of red. Or you would always risk to get "limited" when going near red line. I remember that not long ago many people claimed the CBR500 is lame with such low revs. So the OP isn't that wrong, but maybe a bit late with his "important news"

Wantan... We don't really know what happens.. The Op's threads have been fairly emotionally worded. To the point that i do not really understand exactly what he means.

I will reserve judgement until i ride one. I know my Cbr250 response and feel changed over the 1st 3-500km's as it bedded in.

what part of the words in english that the honda cbr 500cc x/f/r is all having a rev limiter set at 9000 rpm dont you understand?

i dont know i could possible explain it in a more understanding way.

Is this really a problem when you can just get an ECU that has the rev limiter removed? These guys seem to have something in the works for the CBR 500 and CB 500 series bikes. No Rev Limiter CBR 500

If a U.S Version of the ecu where fitted to possible gain 54hp instead of 47, do you think the security honda hiss system needs new lock and keys for that to work?

If a U.S Version of the ecu where fitted to possible gain 54hp instead of 47, do you think the security honda hiss system needs new lock and keys for that to work?

Yes, and with the current version of the Honda Immobilizer Security System (HISS) not only locks and keys. If you read your CBR500R owner's manual you will find a warning on page 102 you will find that your key contains a coded chip that is recognized by the immobilizer system, this immobilizer is integrated into the ECU... also because in the past some figured out how to bypass the HISS (Honda Immobilizer Security System) so with the newer HISS versions all signals send from the ECU are partnered by a digital signature...

Yes, and with the current version of the Honda Immobilizer Security System (HISS) not only locks and keys. If you read your CBR500R owner's manual you will find a warning on page 102 you will find that your key contains a coded chip that is recognized by the immobilizer system, this immobilizer is integrated into the ECU... also because in the past some figured out how to bypass the HISS (Honda Immobilizer Security System) so with the newer HISS versions all signals send from the ECU are partnered by a digital signature...[/quote

Damn it! I'm very interested in what kind of performance mods that will be available for this bikes. I started a new topic for performance talk about this bike cause this topic is only to inform the Rev limit.