Don Mueang Airport To Operate At Full Capacity Again To Ease Crowding At Suvarnabhumi

webfact

What a typical circus:

1. DM must be closed down for good, because Bangkok doesn't need a second airport; Swampy is more than enough to handle everything - and also lends us the most face.

2. All airlines must move to Swampy, no matter how much they protest and which reasonable claims they bring forward to keep DM at least partially operational.

3. Ooops, turns out that Swampy has reached its designated capacity shortly after opening; hence DM is to be re-opened, but only for freight and certain charter flights.

4. Oopps, there are still too many flights in and out of Swampy; simply order all budget airlines to move back to DM at their own cost, despite their protests that they just a few months previously have been told to move to Swampy - and pronto.

5. Ooops, someone at AOT has thought too much and found it prudent that it's detrimental to the country's image if airlines associated with Thailand (i.e. Thai Air Asia, Bangkok Air and Nok Air) use that old DM airport, hence order them to move back to Swampy again, despite the fact that the airport by now is already exceeding its capacity. There's nothing more constructive than good 'ole face-saving. Oh, and let them pay for that expensive move, of course.

6. Ooops, looks like swampy is definitely bursting at the seams, so let's do some brain-storming again... why not put DM back into full service...? Perhaps we should order some airlines to move back to DM - at their own cost, of course. Which ones shall it be? Let's throw some dice or pull straws.

I wonder how this saga is going to end.

Did Thaksin plan to have DMK exclusively for AirAsia when he was a major player? Or was that just a rumour?

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

DM is a pain in the ass from Pattaya. Swampy has been great. Direct bus service from Jomtien

or Pattaya. Air link from Bangkok. Piece of cake.

SHit, you can't even get to DM from Bangkok without a taxi. Are they going to start

the busses to Bangkok again?

I guess you are basing your opinion on travel to Don Muang back in the 70's and 80's? Actually, Pattaya to Don Meuang is relatively easy now with the Highway 9 (eastern) ring road. Still some bottlenecks at peak hours at the major intersections... both of them. It can take as little as 35 minutes to get from one airport to the other and yes, there are free shuttle buses between both airports.

If Don Muang airport should becme an successful airport so the BTS should urgently service direct as Subvarnabhumi ... until now to go to Don Muang isn't pleasant. There is only taxi as soon you use bus it is very tiresome with big luggage and also climb the stairs (no elevator or escalator on bus station side)

i have always figured if i cant afford a taxi to the airport, i cant afford to fly

• Like 2

As much as I welcome DMK back into real business...

a) the flood- theme is a bit troubeling.

b ) there is still no connection between the 2 airports. So arriving at DMK and departing from BKK (or vice versa) will still be risky!

Agree - the issue will be how do they cope with connecting flights, and the floods if repeating. will close it. Always seemed Swampy was a waste of money as it only had 3M more capacity when it was completed and did not take into account increases but to have DMK back in the fold is a good move. Now if only they can improve the taxiing apron. It is like a rutted highway still - sitting in the jump seat of a 777 you feel every bang and swear the nose suspension is going to collapse.

More importantly...have they re opened the Bill Bently Bar on the First floor in the main check-in in area yet. Quite like the one in Abu D...but DMs was better?

Also re earlier comment a new Pattaya International Airport would indeed make sense and with regards CM ..the jury is still out on the long time "mooted" CM -TK Shin Inter gateway just off the 1317....nor too far from my place.

expand DM airport and make suvi a military base, so i can have some more sleep @ night smile.png

What a typical circus:

1. DM must be closed down for good, because Bangkok doesn't need a second airport; Swampy is more than enough to handle everything - and also lends us the most face.

2. All airlines must move to Swampy, no matter how much they protest and which reasonable claims they bring forward to keep DM at least partially operational.

3. Ooops, turns out that Swampy has reached its designated capacity shortly after opening; hence DM is to be re-opened, but only for freight and certain charter flights.

4. Oopps, there are still too many flights in and out of Swampy; simply order all budget airlines to move back to DM at their own cost, despite their protests that they just a few months previously have been told to move to Swampy - and pronto.

5. Ooops, someone at AOT has thought too much and found it prudent that it's detrimental to the country's image if airlines associated with Thailand (i.e. Thai Air Asia, Bangkok Air and Nok Air) use that old DM airport, hence order them to move back to Swampy again, despite the fact that the airport by now is already exceeding its capacity. There's nothing more constructive than good 'ole face-saving. Oh, and let them pay for that expensive move, of course.

6. Ooops, looks like swampy is definitely bursting at the seams, so let's do some brain-storming again... why not put DM back into full service...? Perhaps we should order some airlines to move back to DM - at their own cost, of course. Which ones shall it be? Let's throw some dice or pull straws.

I wonder how this saga is going to end.

DM will be extended and will also cater for sea planes in the summer whilst Swampy will finally become Thailand's most expensive shopping mall.

Edited by bigbamboo

This when AOT has already relieved the short-term pressure on Swampy, by encouraging Air Asia and other LCCs to move across to DMK, and supposedly commenced their major expansion of Swampy, with a third runway & more terminal-buildings, due for completion in only another few years ?

Surely they wanted to maintain Swampy as the main airport for Bangkok, is that long-term plan now thrown out, seems very odd. blink.png

It is OK Thaksin has already made his money on swampy.

Twelve airlines making the splits. Could be interesting.

http://www.oneworld.com/member-airlines/

How do you arrive at 12 airlines making the split?

Of the current "member" airlines only 7 of them fly to BKK, however if you add in QR (Qatar) and UL (SriLankan) - as these 2 airlines will eventually find their way into One World - you get 9.

coffee1.gif

I was wondering that myself and I did not see any connection between them and D M.

Where are they going to base themselves in Bangkok?

Also concerned about the ability of D M to handle customs and immigration. They are under staffed at Swampy so where do they figure on getting the additional help,

Here in Chiang Mai they are allowed 15 more staff at immigration but Bangkok is unable to find them. It seems like all hiring for immigration must go through Bangkok.

Properly staffed I think it is a great idea.

whistling.gif Oh great.

Planes from DM litterly fly right over the area of my Thai families house at about 300 feet above the MooBan.

It's been pretty quiet since Swampy opened, but looks it like the noise will be coming back again soon.

Yeah and then those bastards running the airport (and associated politicians) will act like dictators and not allow a nighttime flight curfew to be imposed - and despite Thailand being a nominal democracy those poor residents in the surrounding area won't be able to have their voices heard. Excuses such as "nighttime flight curfews being bad for the economy" etc. will be force fed down their throats and that will be the end of their "whining" as the executives would put it. I can understand why Suvarnabhumi is curfew free owing to its location and relatively small population affected by aircraft noise, but given how many people live in the areas surrounding Don Muang (not to mention how many more have moved there in the years since it stopped being Bangkok's primary airport) and you'll certainly get people who are going to get angry if the number of flights starts increasing again to pre-2006 levels.

Then again if the Suvarnabhumi airport developers got some brain cells together and finally built another 1 or 2 runways like in their master plan and expanded the terminal space a bit (or perhaps built a dedicated terminal, for example a separate domestic terminal) than a lot of extra capacity could be added to the airport for years to come.

So it would be safe to assume, DMK and the area surrounding it, wont be flooded again? Or is everybody just hoping it doesn't rain like it did in 2011?

Is it safe to assume that Swampy won't be flooded in future?

How safe is DMK after it was flooded - the runways and the structures?

Clearly, you both have not been out along Vihavadi-Rangsit rd in the last year as you would have noticed a massive new wall. Previously, there were many access points to the airport from Vihavadi, no longer.

The AOT built a massive 7.1km long, 3.80m high flood proof wall around the whole north east, east and southern side of the airport - where inflow was vulnerable. Costed over US$4m. Also, have purchased 4 high volume water pumps (to go with the pre-existing 12).

They redid the canals and water retention ponds on the north side. Air Force has reportedly protected their base on the east side.

Not to say that it is totally flood proof but it will take an event much greater than 2011 to flood the airport now. (Assuming no one forgets to close the new flood proof gates...... ;) )

• Like 1

Yes! Love Don Muang.

There are numerous posts like this. I just don't understand why people harp on about the good old days with DM being a far better airport. How quickly people forget. It was a horrible, dreadful airport. Too far away, horrible parking facilities, no mass transit option (I'm not counting Don Muang railway station), dark and dingy, terrible food and beverage outlets. It was awful.

At least you didn't have to walk 2 miles through a shopping mall to get to your gate. WiFi actually worked in the gate area. Air conditioning actually worked in the gate area. You didn't have to worry about a fake arrest/extortion scam if you were window shopping while waiting for your flight.

• Like 1

So it would be safe to assume, DMK and the area surrounding it, wont be flooded again? Or is everybody just hoping it doesn't rain like it did in 2011?

Is it safe to assume that Swampy won't be flooded in future?

How safe is DMK after it was flooded - the runways and the structures?

Clearly, you both have not been out along Vihavadi-Rangsit rd in the last year as you would have noticed a massive new wall. Previously, there were many access points to the airport from Vihavadi, no longer.

The AOT built a massive 7.1km long, 3.80m high flood proof wall around the whole north east, east and southern side of the airport - where inflow was vulnerable. Costed over US$4m. Also, have purchased 4 high volume water pumps (to go with the pre-existing 12).

They redid the canals and water retention ponds on the north side. Air Force has reportedly protected their base on the east side.

Not to say that it is totally flood proof but it will take an event much greater than 2011 to flood the airport now. (Assuming no one forgets to close the new flood proof gates...... wink.png )

i am sure that it will insure that the airforce base will stay dry.

Well they need to set up some decent transportation system to get there then but of course the Thai way is to act or not act first then think about it or not think about it later.

Whilst what you state is generally very true, in this case it is not...to an extent. The current Airport Rail Link to Swampy was always intended to be extended to DMK by the end of this decade. However, with the change in policy last March reverting to a 2 airport policy this has meant that the project timetable had to be brought forward by 2 yrs.

Thus, it is expected that the tender for the extension will be out by mid year and work commencing by the end of the year with a 3-3.5 yr timetable. Of course, that is assuming that all goes smoothly and that there are no delays.....

(Note that every single metro project in BKK has been delayed to some extent)

You should also note that the SRT commuter Dark Red Line from Bang Sue to Rangsit (with a stop at DMK) is finally and much belatedly about to begin construction.

As much as I welcome DMK back into real business...

a) the flood- theme is a bit troubeling.

b ) there is still no connection between the 2 airports. So arriving at DMK and departing from BKK (or vice versa) will still be risky!

No connection? That is patently incorrect.

There is the free shuttle bus operating since last October. Most people report trip time of between 45mins to 1hr even at peak! (check the thread in the Swamp sub-forum). There are two BMTA buses which have been running between both airports since Swampy opened in 2006.

And ah let's not forget a taxi easily connects both airports and this can be done in just over 20 mins using the expressway at non peak. Not sure what is so called "risky" anymore than any other travel in BKK from point A to point B......???

Perhaps, you are referring to there being no direct flights between DMK and BKK? At least on that you would be right! (Though TG does fly aircraft undergoing periodic maintenance between both airports)

Yes! Love Don Muang.

There are numerous posts like this. I just don't understand why people harp on about the good old days with DM being a far better airport. How quickly people forget. It was a horrible, dreadful airport. Too far away, horrible parking facilities, no mass transit option (I'm not counting Don Muang railway station), dark and dingy, terrible food and beverage outlets. It was awful.

In every respect SVB is a far superior airport. Seriously, why the love for DMK? (I'm willing to bet that at least half the people on here who slate SVB and wish for the good old days of DMK used to slag the hell out of DMK when it was our sole airport).

I have many fond memories of DMK, that great bar on the 1st floor,they brewed their own beer, Swampy always feels threatening, with it's frighteningly designed stainless steal ceilings. I never slagged DMK off and used to travel too and from there for more than 15 years. I LOVE DMK!

• Like 2

Much of this is not really new. After the govt's decision last year to revert to a 2 Airport Policy the AOT in August announced the following 10 yr, 3 Phase plan for DMK to revert to near pre-06 full operations;

Scheduled to be ready by Oct 1 this year, Phase 1 largely involves the improvement of Passenger Terminal 1 (T1) and Pier 4 to accommodate 16.5 million passengers _ capacity that is expected to be filled by 2016.

Phase 2 calls for the reopening of Passenger Terminal 2 (T2), which has been closed since 2006, by 2016 through a restoration that includes improving Pier 5, baggage carousels, telecommunications and infrastructure to ensure T2 can process 27.5 million passengers a year until 2022.

Phase 3, to be carried out from 2018-22, centres on redevelopment of the old domestic passenger terminal (which has been closed), improving Pier 6 and building a taxiway between piers 5 and 6 _ providing passenger.

The only real change is to allow any airline to use DMK in the future (if that policy is approved) which makes sense if some airlines wish to save costs by using DMK.

Given that Phase 2 expansion of Swampy won't be complete until 2016/17 and that Phase 3 won't be online for over a decade. (And I am glad that is is taken a little longer IF done properly rather than the rushed, haphazard manner in which Swampy was built with all of the problems from lack of toilets ot cracked runways that then became apparent).

The fact that airline pax no/s are achieving double digit growth - actually expected to rise by 80% in Thailand in the next 10 yrs -

Combined passengers passing through the six airports including Bangkok's Suvarnabhumi and Don Mueang are expected to soar to 138 million in 2022, up by 82% from 2012's tally of 76 million.

does sit not make sense to allow any airline to use DMK given the delays and over capacity already being experienced at Swampy? BKK is big enough to have 2 full operational airports. A once in 50 yr flood aside and the obvious need to improve transport links and airport infrastructure.

The main, big airlines will still use Swampy and if your cheaper ticket airline uses DMK and you don't like DMK then just pay more for your ticket. The AOT may not have made well planned, consultative & smooth policy changes on this front in the last 4 yrs but given the political framework of what has happened with 3 changes of govt and all the over riding power struggles it could have been much worse.

• Like 1

Hello Again! Airport Bus Number 3 and Ekamai Bus Station?

(do the airport buses to stops in Bangkok still run?)

The A1 has been running for a few months now to BTS Mo Chit and Mo Chit 2. The A2 has just started to BTS Mo Chit and Victory Monument. Can't give you a frequency. (And of course there are about 20 different buses and vans running out of Vihavadi-Rangsit rd)

bus_donmeung.jpg