North Korea Threatens Missile Attacks On U S, South Korea

webfact

A lot of off-topic posts have been deleted. Please don't endlessly re-post photos. They take up a lot of space. This is especially true if you do not plan to make a reply that is relevant.

• Like 1

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well we have all had a good laugh at the worlds first nuclear karaoke machine but seriously its a bit of a worry, these lunnies have nothing to lose, they have nothing but weapons and they could start something and who knows where it would lead? Similarly with the disputed islands between Japan and China tension is high and the US has defence agreements with Japan and South Korea, it is to be hoped that China and Japan simmer down.

It also concerns me about whats happening closer to us here. We have the Muslim problem down south and now its Buddhists versus Muslims in Burma or Myanmar whichever you prefer. A year ago there was one problem, down south, now three others have come to the fore, the world we choose to live in suddenly does not as safe as it was a year ago.

• Like 1

This is, of course, just sabre rattling on behalf of NK's Boy Wonder. But just in case it turns a little bit real, the US might want to hurry the deployment of its increased east coast defenses ...

A 50% hit rate probably isn't too reassuring to those who may be on the receiving end of NK nuke

US defense missiles only hit 50% in tests

DIG

N. Korea has very few long range missiles. The US would probably fire 10 missiles at each one, giving almost a 100% chance of knocking them down.

Mmmm...me thinks that it would be a clever cicada and mantis ruse to rattle both Koreas so the big boys can square off to each other with proxy justification, in prep for a future maritine clash once China decides to breach America's pacific picket ring.

Or...maybe should stop playing Master of the World and starting digging a bunker stocked with mama noodles and sam song. Plus a big sign on the door written in chinese 'Beware. Thai Wife.'

How does China breach Americas pacific picket ring when they have no decent carriers, no decent fighting aircraft, no subs equipped to destroy whole cities from way under water, no good good navy, and so on. All they have is nukes, but they don't have them hidden in subs or scattered all over the area, nor can they drop them from stealth bombers.

The only place that China is on a par is with nukes and even then they don't have the stealth bombers that were just tested, or the hidden submarine nuclear capability. They haven't mastered the aircraft carrier group or the fighter plane or the missiles. Their only parity is above ground nukes on ICBM's. That's a major leap over a small nation's skirmish.

China has the abilty to take out satellites (the only country to do so I believe)...as proven last year when they blew up one of their old satellites. The US military would be dead in the water without their satellite technology.

Do you honestly believe that as of last year, China has made the US military obsolete? That the US defense system is set up in a way as to be made "dead in the water" so easily?

As it happens the Chinese reportedly first blew up a satellite about 5 years ago. The US did so not long after.

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa ap

This is, of course, just sabre rattling on behalf of NK's Boy Wonder. But just in case it turns a little bit real, the US might want to hurry the deployment of its increased east coast defenses ...

A 50% hit rate probably isn't too reassuring to those who may be on the receiving end of NK nuke

DIG

N. Korea has very few long range missiles. The US would probably fire 10 missiles at each one, giving almost a 100% chance of knocking them down.

It's doubtful the US currently has 10 missiles to fire at 'each one'. This is the problem. The US has never needed them before, relying on MAD as a deterrent when faced with USSR threats. Now there are countries with a growing technology that aren't necessarily swayed by the thought of MAD. And it's not beyond some terrorist groups to be able to smuggle the parts for one of these missiles to a place where the country that originated the technology could plead ignorance of such a launch. Maybe not this year or next. But once the technology is loose (and it has been since the break up of the USSR, and the release of plans from Pakistan and S Africa), the possibilities will grow rapidly.

At the moment I'm unsure Kim Jong Un(wise) has the capability to even get one off the ground, nevermind pointing it in the right direction. But it will probably not always be so. And Iran has been spoiling to give the US a bloody nose since Khomeini virtually fell off the plane from Paris, onto Iranian soil (I believe Teheran airport is tarmaced now ;) ... ) So the US needs to plan for the not-too-distant future, as do other likely western target countries.

Missile defense boosters press case

DIG

• Like 1

DIG

My dad's bigger than your dad. Stroll on, give it a rest already.

• Like 1

DIG

My dad's bigger than your dad. Stroll on, give it a rest already.

<deleted> is wrong with you? N. Korea has literally threatened to nuke S. Korea and the US with ICBM's. The US would certainly defend itself, and also all of or any of the many Asian countries it has treaties to defend.

I have no idea what nation you hail from, but if it isn't the US, you'll be bawling like a baby for the US if your country is attacked, just like Churchill did in WWII when the US didn't want to get involved in Europe.

Now go suck on your lollipop.

Edited by NeverSure

original.jpg

It wuz the Onion what did it last year, naming Kim Jong Un the "Sexiest Man Alive." Both the N Korean and Chinese press ran the story, completely missing the parody, later backtracking with egg on their red faces. The thread is a serious topic, so the link below gives us some better idea of the dunderheads we're dealing with in both Pyongyang and Beijing.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/11/27/chinese-newspaper-falls-for-onion-article_n_2196882.html

Mmmm...me thinks that it would be a clever cicada and mantis ruse to rattle both Koreas so the big boys can square off to each other with proxy justification, in prep for a future maritine clash once China decides to breach America's pacific picket ring.

Or...maybe should stop playing Master of the World and starting digging a bunker stocked with mama noodles and sam song. Plus a big sign on the door written in chinese 'Beware. Thai Wife.'

How does China breach Americas pacific picket ring when they have no decent carriers, no decent fighting aircraft, no subs equipped to destroy whole cities from way under water, no good good navy, and so on. All they have is nukes, but they don't have them hidden in subs or scattered all over the area, nor can they drop them from stealth bombers.

The only place that China is on a par is with nukes and even then they don't have the stealth bombers that were just tested, or the hidden submarine nuclear capability. They haven't mastered the aircraft carrier group or the fighter plane or the missiles. Their only parity is above ground nukes on ICBM's. That's a major leap over a small nation's skirmish.

China has the abilty to take out satellites (the only country to do so I believe)...as proven last year when they blew up one of their old satellites. The US military would be dead in the water without their satellite technology.

Do you honestly believe that as of last year, China has made the US military obsolete? That the US defense system is set up in a way as to be made "dead in the water" so easily?

As it happens the Chinese reportedly first blew up a satellite about 5 years ago. The US did so not long after.

Well both of you are on point, tho not exactly.

The link below from the MIT Defense Labs speaks to points each of you make. It also makes clear to everyone in this matter of the CCP-PRC's or North Korea's abilities - separately or combined - to send rockets to try to blast U.S. satellites out of their space orbits.

http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2008/01/inside-the-chin/

<deleted> is wrong with you? N. Korea has literally threatened to nuke S. Korea and the US with ICBM's. The US would certainly defend itself, and also all of or any of the many Asian countries it has treaties to defend.

I have no idea what nation you hail from, but if it isn't the US, you'll be bawling like a baby for the US if your country is attacked, just like Churchill did in WWII when the US didn't want to get involved in Europe.

Now go suck on your lollipop.

I have to agree with him, it is just a dick measuring exercise. Been happening for decades.

As for the other crap you are sprouting, Not sure how the US would have gone without the help of the rest of the world in WW11.

Not to mention that every time it gets into a scrap it keeps begging other countries to help.

Now move on.

There is absolutely no other country that can deal with N. Korea with its ballistic missiles and nukes than the US. No one.

The US doesn't use its power in its scraps with Iraq and Afghanistan. It fights with its hands tied behind its back due to treaties about how to conduct wars made after WWII. It shouldn't even be there under those circumstances IMHO.

If it unleashed its might in any of several ways on N. Korea, even without using nukes, it could quickly destroy all of N. Korea's infrastructure without ever putting a boot on the ground. N. Korea would never see it coming. It could be waves of B-52's or stealth bombers or conventional warheads launched from missiles.

Military spending by country. Now go suck on your lollipop.

cna.png

The link below from the MIT Defense Labs speaks to points each of you make. It also makes clear to everyone in this matter of the CCP-PRC's or North Korea's abilities - separately or combined - to send rockets to try to blast U.S. satellites out of their space orbits.

As the article says, the US has other methods, and would not be severely crippled. There have been accurate ICBM's since the 60's that don't rely on satellites. The satellites give very good intelligence about when to fire or what to fire at, but there are other ways to get it.

There are a lot of things I could say about that article and plenty of pertinent points from it that I could quote, supporting my previous post. But it's midnight so I'll cut to the chase:

"The short-term military consequences of an all attack by China on US space assets are limited, at most. Even under the worst-case scenario, could only reduce the use of precision-guided munitions or satellite communications into and out of the theater of operations.

They would not be stopped. China could destroy a large fraction of strategic intelligence gathering capabilities; but not all of it. With a greater than normal expenditure of fuel, the remaining US spy satellites could continue to survive their crosses over China and photograph Chinese troop movements, harbors, and strategic forces but, of course, at a reduced rate. The war would, however, quickly move into a tactical phase where the US gathers most of its operational photographs using airplanes, instead of satellites. US ships and unmanned vehicles might, theoretically, have difficulty coordinating, during certain hours of the day. Most of the time, they would be free to function normally."

There are a lot of things I could say about that article and plenty of pertinent points from it that I could quote, supporting my previous post. But it's midnight so I'll cut to the chase:

"The short-term military consequences of an all attack by China on US space assets are limited, at most. Even under the worst-case scenario, could only reduce the use of precision-guided munitions or satellite communications into and out of the theater of operations.

They would not be stopped. China could destroy a large fraction of strategic intelligence gathering capabilities; but not all of it. With a greater than normal expenditure of fuel, the remaining US spy satellites could continue to survive their crosses over China and photograph Chinese troop movements, harbors, and strategic forces but, of course, at a reduced rate. The war would, however, quickly move into a tactical phase where the US gathers most of its operational photographs using airplanes, instead of satellites. US ships and unmanned vehicles might, theoretically, have difficulty coordinating, during certain hours of the day. Most of the time, they would be free to function normally."

SteelJoe, if I read your above quote #79 as it appears to be, then you have assigned all of the statements in the quote to me, which is erroneous, or perhaps a simple mistake. I know you said it's late, which it is, and that you're tired and leaving the forum for the night. So I must point out that the only thing of mine in your quote above is the link to the MIT Defense Labs. Everything in the quote that is above the link, was written by other posters.

cna.png
And to think you say all that like it's a good thing.

Hmmmmm

It will certainly be a good thing if a rogue country like N. Korea or Iran decides to nuke its neighbors or a US ally.

This heavy spending is on technology.

The rogue country is the US. What technology are you talking about? If you want modern technology you have to go to Japan or Germany, if cheap it's China.

cna.png
And to think you say all that like it's a good thing.

Hmmmmm

It will certainly be a good thing if a rogue country like N. Korea or Iran decides to nuke its neighbors or a US ally.

This heavy spending is on technology.

The rogue country is the US. What technology are you talking about? If you want modern technology you have to go to Japan or Germany, if cheap it's China.

You are living under the protective umbrella of the United States. Your grandparents first experienced the modern foreign policy of the United States from Pres Woodrow Wilson in World War I and they got it again under Pres Franklin Delano Roosevelt during World War II. Would the world be a better place if we still had the USSR and 21st century national socialism with Chinese characteristics, i.e., contemporary fascism, in the CCP-PRC?

Did you bother to read my link above? If not, here it is again: http://www.wired.com...nside-the-chin/ If you don't like the outcome of the articles in the link, then I would not be surprised.

I already said it. If N. Korea actually fires a nuke at the US ???? or even S. Korea as they are threatening, China will do nothing. China doesn't want a nuclear war nor does anyone else except maybe the Insane Ones in N. Korea.

I am not from the US, but lived there for 18 years. Know the psyche of many senators. If this is a true threat, - they NK are Fkked.

The US will not tolerate threats like this (if it is real). So, what I am saying, - is it real or manufactured as an excuse to go in an destroy (like Iraq and probably Iran). The USA owes big bucks to China, - that is why the writer above is correct. They will not intervene.
It's a huge mistake to threaten the largest empire of all time. The war machine in the USA is big $$ - so, this threat is so stupid.

Very good points.

It is not manufactured. N. Korea and S. Korea have been going after it since the early 50's, with a war that ended in a stalemate, and troops are still on the border with occasional skirmishes. This hatred goes back farther than we do.

The US and other countries have tried and tried to have talks with N. Korea and all that did was give N. Korea time to develop its nukes ad missiles.

You make a good point about yet another reason for China to stay out of it, but i think the biggest reason is that they don't want to escalate a nuclear war in the region, and if N. Korea tries it, they'll rattle sabres but stay out of it.

I think China is licking its chops about it. "Let's you and him fight." I think China has enough influence to stop N. Korea but they haven't. China is helping to feed N. Korea but they are having trouble feeding their own 1.3 billion people under a communist system.

I still contend that if N. Korea is stupid enough to carry out threats to try to nuke the US with ICBM's, which attempts would be shot down, that whatever happens to them is well deserved. The same applies to the US treaty to protect most countries in Asia including Australia and NZ.

I repeat that the US just damn near leveled Libya from offshore with conventional rocket and bombs, proving that N. Korea isn't exempt.

Your points are well taken. I would just add some critical points in regard to N Korea and the PRChina governments and peoples.

During my recent three years in the PRChina I asked a number of the young Chinese university students and others I got to know well about the basic relationship between Pyongyang and Beijing. I guess by osmosis (for lack of a better word) I had sensed over time there, reading the Chinese press in English and in general conversation with some CCP's, that things weren't well between the two. The answers and conversations I got were disconcerting, to say the least.

During Kim Jong Il's reign, Beijing lost all effective control over Pyongyang. Yes, Beijing supplies 80% of the North's heating oil and propane gas cooking containers used in the home. Beijing is feeding N Korea, providing cash dollars to a Kim regime desperate for bucks. In the interests of stability Beijing is substantially propping up Pyongyang's military - and kicking in to provide many other daily needs and necessities that keep the regime functioning, however marginally.

But Pyongyang knows Beijing has nightmares - horrific nightmares - about a collapse of the Pyongyang regime. Collapse would send a flood of refugees across the border into northeast China, a good number of whom would connect with missionaries and others in China to forward them to Thailand, which is the only SE Asia country that allows N Korean 'defectors' to travel on to a third country (S Korea, U.S.). PRChina Public Security Police would be scampering about eastern China trying to identify and arrest such defectors. There'd be chaos in China anyway if only because of the number of refugees streaming into it (think Syria's neighboring countries).

Then what of the Korean peninsula itself? As Beijing made clear during the Korean Conflict (1950-53), it absolutely shall never accept or tolerate the presence of U.S. armed forces on its border. Beijing entered the Korean Conflict only because Gen Douglas MacArthur, acting against directives from Washington, was pressing on to the Yalu River, which is the border between N Korea and the PRChina.

So if N Korea collapses, does Beijing move into what is now N Korea to stabilize the place? That would be highly unlikely. Why? Because of the question of whether S Korea would move northward in armed force to secure the whole of its long divided country - S Korea likely would feel the imperative to take that action. So what about U.S. forces in S Korea? They certainly would have to stay put. lest they risk forcing Beijing to move its military onto the peninsula as its own unwelcome imperative.

Pyongyang has Beijing between a rock and a rock, both of which belong to Kim Jong Un, just as his father Kim Jong Il before him had Beijing between his two rocks. Pyongyang plays on Beijing's horror of a collapsed N Korea to do as it pleases on the peninsula and internationally. Beijing also has nightmares about a nuclearized Korean Peninsula, however, Beijing can do nothing to stop Pyongyang from pursuing its nuclear program. What is Beijing going to do, cut off food or oil supplies to the North, a course of action that would precipitate its collapse and the ensuing chaos Beijing trembles thinking about?

Beijing is in a weak position concerning N Korea and everyone from Seoul to Tokyo to Washington knows it - feeble would not be too strong a word to describe it. The only sign of "strength" Beijing could find as a course of action was to support the UNSC Resolution placing further embargoes and sanctions on N Korea, except this time the sanctions hit the ruling elites hard, squarely between the eyes, which is why Pyongyang is carrying on at an unprecedented loud and belligerent level.

If there is any kind of a solution to the present, potentially Guns of August kind of situation in NE Asia, precipitated by Pyongyang, Beijing isn't the place to go to find it. The unspoken in all of this is the supposed statement given to Seoul by Beijing that, if push comes to shove, Beijing would recalcitrantly accept the South taking possession of the North, but only if U.S. armed forces in the South remain positioned south of the 38th parallel. The PRChina has become S Korea's largest trading partner and relations between Beijing and Seoul are quietly good.

However, if the North's regime collapses, the U.S. absolutely would insist on sending specialized military forces into the North to secure its nuclear weapons, missiles etc. The Pentagon already has the plan worked out in detail. Beijing supposedly would accept that as long as U.S. forces moved out of the North even more rapidly than they moved in to secure the arsenal. Edited by Publicus
  • Like 1

I already said it. If N. Korea actually fires a nuke at the US ???? or even S. Korea as they are threatening, China will do nothing. China doesn't want a nuclear war nor does anyone else except maybe the Insane Ones in N. Korea.

I am not from the US, but lived there for 18 years. Know the psyche of many senators. If this is a true threat, - they NK are Fkked.

The US will not tolerate threats like this (if it is real). So, what I am saying, - is it real or manufactured as an excuse to go in an destroy (like Iraq and probably Iran). The USA owes big bucks to China, - that is why the writer above is correct. They will not intervene.

It's a huge mistake to threaten the largest empire of all time. The war machine in the USA is big $$ - so, this threat is so stupid.

Very good points.

It is not manufactured. N. Korea and S. Korea have been going after it since the early 50's, with a war that ended in a stalemate, and troops are still on the border with occasional skirmishes. This hatred goes back farther than we do.

The US and other countries have tried and tried to have talks with N. Korea and all that did was give N. Korea time to develop its nukes ad missiles.

You make a good point about yet another reason for China to stay out of it, but i think the biggest reason is that they don't want to escalate a nuclear war in the region, and if N. Korea tries it, they'll rattle sabres but stay out of it.

I think China is licking its chops about it. "Let's you and him fight." I think China has enough influence to stop N. Korea but they haven't. China is helping to feed N. Korea but they are having trouble feeding their own 1.3 billion people under a communist system.

I still contend that if N. Korea is stupid enough to carry out threats to try to nuke the US with ICBM's, which attempts would be shot down, that whatever happens to them is well deserved. The same applies to the US treaty to protect most countries in Asia including Australia and NZ.

I repeat that the US just damn near leveled Libya from offshore with conventional rocket and bombs, proving that N. Korea isn't exempt.

They are still technically at war from the 50's. All they did was sign a cease fire agreement. Which NK now has torn up their piece of paper.

It's scary to believe that there actually are posters that defend North Korea. It is a regime that has to it's credit virtually nothing positive. It produces, hunger, refugees and death and spends it's money almost entirely on it's war machine and the remainder and a lavish lifestyle for a few of the top brass. It threatens others who are not actively or directly threatening it (and I seriously doubt that either the US or China, for example, want North Korea). I am not even sure that South Korea wants to be unified with the place.

It's a country that consistently bites the hands that feed it, both friend and foe.

What I question about those that defend North Korea is their lack of sincerity. Do you really wish to see what befalls on the people of NK if they launch a first strike?

I doubt the USA would do anything rash:

1) Seoul is within artillery range of the North. The "war" would probably last only a few days, but millions of S. Koreans could be killed in the first hour.

But, more importantly:

2) There are no ex-Halliburton CEO's in Obama's administration. (And not much oil in N Korea)

3) Kim did not send a hit squad to assassinate Obama's daddy.

4) Obama's daddy did not (wisely as it turns out) leave unfinished business in the DPRK.

Edited by impulse

Militarily, North Korea is not to be taken lightly. They spend a lot of time and money on their military. Add to that the brainwashing and I think they can wreak a great deal of damage on South Korea before they are subdued.

This is not a military action to be taken lightly. The death toll will be enormous and those killed will not be the enemy. You can expect an extremely high civilian death toll.

• Like 1

China and now Russia have told Nth Korea to pull their heads in and stop sabre rattling and start talks again. Obviously they are not interested in being drawn into what is now a country back at war again as Nth Korea tore up the shakey cease fire agreement not a peace treaty.