Songkran, How Do You Feel About It?

yourauntbob

So Songkran is only a few weeks away.

We are getting more and more info about the new laws they plan to implement cheesy.gif

So I am just curious how TV members feel about these three magical days? This will be my 5th and I still love the whole thing. A nation wide party where girl walk around in soaking wet t-shirts, the roads of BKK have very few cars, and when your soo drunk you pee yourself no one knows the difference clap2.gif

• Like 2

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love the idea of it, and some years even get out and get into it.

But absolutely hate the fact that you can't walk anywhere without getting soaked, in some areas for a full week or more, would really prefer the traditional style of just pouring water over your hands.

And when it actually gets to be violent and the DUI situation, I'm sure everyone agrees is horrible.

If I could afford it I'd head to PP for the week, there a simple shake of the head and they back off.

• Like 1

I've enjoyed many of them and 2 of them were among the best times of my life. That was all about 20 years ago; I've changed and so has Songkran so I wasn't into it for a long time - but now I have young children and I want them to have fun and have fun with them so to the degree possible while still being a relatively safe and sane circumstance, we do and we will.

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa ap

now I have young children and I want them to have fun and have fun with them so to the degree possible while still being a relatively safe and sane circumstance, we do and we will.

-

And that's the main issue I have, very few fun locations are actually safe or sane anymore.

• Like 2

now I have young children and I want them to have fun and have fun with them so to the degree possible while still being a relatively safe and sane circumstance, we do and we will.-And that's the main issue I have, very few fun locations are actually safe or sane anymore.

Indeed. I wish we could go where it was exciting and a bit wild but they are 4 and 9 - we will be staying pretty much in our street (a cul de sac in a gated community).

• Like 1

Songkran... I make point to ensure I am working or alternatively on holiday out of the country...after doing it a few years on the run many years ago the novelty has long worn off... but if the children must play..let them..wink.png

SteeleJoe, on 29 Mar 2013 - 11:24, said:

FunFon, on 29 Mar 2013 - 11:08, said:

now I have young children and I want them to have fun and have fun with them so to the degree possible while still being a relatively safe and sane circumstance, we do and we will.-And that's the main issue I have, very few fun locations are actually safe or sane anymore.

Indeed. I wish we could go where it was exciting and a bit wild but they are 4 and 9 - we will be staying pretty much in our street (a cul de sac in a gated community).

If you have Thai friends/relations it's a great time to visit upcountry, and much more safe & sane in the village lanes; I love letting my littlies go free range for a few weeks out of the year, this year might end up being a few months.

SteeleJoe, on 29 Mar 2013 - 11:24, said:FunFon, on 29 Mar 2013 - 11:08, said:

now I have young children and I want them to have fun and have fun with them so to the degree possible while still being a relatively safe and sane circumstance, we do and we will.-And that's the main issue I have, very few fun locations are actually safe or sane anymore.Indeed. I wish we could go where it was exciting and a bit wild but they are 4 and 9 - we will be staying pretty much in our street (a cul de sac in a gated community).If you have Thai friends/relations it's a great time to visit upcountry, and much more safe & sane in the village lanes; I love letting my littlies go free range for a few weeks out of the year, this year might end up being a few months.

It's a great time to go upcountry - except that literally millions of people also think it's a great time and what is normally a 4 hour drive turns into a 12 hour drive (one way). I only do it every couple years and prefer to save trips upcountry to times when it is NOT a holiday.

But letting thelittlies go free range for a few weeks or a few months sounds great and it reflects well on you that you love it.

It's a great time to go upcountry - except that literally millions of people also think it's a great time and what is normally a 4 hour drive turns into a 12 hour drive (one way). I only do it every couple years and prefer to save trips upcountry to times when it is NOT a holiday.

-

Sure, you have to time the travel itself to miss the peak times - just posted this.

But there is no other time of the year like it upcountry for joyful celebration, families getting back together, many only see each other once a year.

Well worth a bit of inconvenience IMO, and much better than staying in the middle of urban insanity if you can't afford to escape in more expensive ways.

I don't mind the last day of it. It's a good chance buy a drink for and to sit and have a drink with people I don't usually get the chance to, like the estate security and maintenance crews the local traffic bobbies or the motorcycle taxi lads etc. and let them know I appreciate their services to the community.

Plus all them dollies in wet T shits you cop an eyeful of....

But there is no other time of the year like it upcountry for joyful celebration, families getting back together, many only see each other once a year.

Uhmm...you are aware that I've seen a few Songkrans before - about 25 I think - and that living in Thailand is not a new thing for me?

:)

Actually I find it to be one of the only times the Thai people really open up and genuinely show warmth and welcoming to westerners,maybe it's the amount of whiskey they have drunk or maybe it's just the fun factor and the welcomed break from the daily chore of life,but the party atmosphere really kicks in and they do become very inquisitive,touchy feely and fun to be around.

As a westerner in a small town in Phetchabun during this time it's near on impossible to go any where without having a beer or bottle of whiskey shoved in your hand,most impressive.

Stradavarius37, on 29 Mar 2013 - 14:31, said:

Good idea turned stupid by stupid people. Baby powder and water fights on the highway at 90+kph are good examples of this stupidity in action...

-

Not to mention full buckets of water mixed with chunks of ice being tossed right into the face of motorbike drivers trying to speed on past. . .

SteeleJoe, on 29 Mar 2013 - 14:46, said:

Uhmm...you are aware that I've seen a few Songkrans before - about 25 I think - and that living in Thailand is not a new thing for me?

-

Sure Joe, my specific point was that even if you don't do it right and do get stuck in a road trip that takes twice as long as usual, it's still IMO worth the trouble, and explaining why.

I'd take such factors into account more if I were communicating one-on-one chat or PM. In a broadcast medium like this forum I'm communicating with anyone who may be reading, just using input from others to bounce ideas around.

• Like 2

Songkran? I go into bunker mode. 3 years I had my glasses broken; one year I got knocked off my motorbike about 7 AM with a point-blank bucket of water. If I choose to go outside without my glasses, I can't see the girls in the wet T-shirts anyway so what's the point? However, some girls are willing to make house calls.

Edited by JLCrab
  • Like 2

Actually I find it to be one of the only times the Thai people really open up and genuinely show warmth and welcoming to westerners,maybe it's the amount of whiskey they have drunk or maybe it's just the fun factor and the welcomed break from the daily chore of life,but the party atmosphere really kicks in and they do become very inquisitive,touchy feely and fun to be around.

As a westerner in a small town in Phetchabun during this time it's near on impossible to go any where without having a beer or bottle of whiskey shoved in your hand,most impressive.

Indeed! Why do you think January is so busy in the maternity wards...?

It's the one time of year the wives always keep a very sharp eye on the husbands....very sharp...

I just love Songkhran here in Koh Chang..And obviously i abhor the excess.

Normally i allow myself 2/3 hours of fun every year, wearing my worst clothes and with just some money in a plastic bag :)

I can choose to avoid it, but i would still enjoy the younger people having fun, and the joyous atmosphere all around.

That said, it should be not too difficult for the old, boring lads to stay out of the roads for some days, is it ?

I just love Songkhran here in Koh Chang..And obviously i abhor the excess.

Normally i allow myself 2/3 hours of fun every year, wearing my worst clothes and with just some money in a plastic bag smile.png

I can choose to avoid it, but i would still enjoy the younger people having fun, and the joyous atmosphere all around.

That said, it should be not too difficult for the old, boring lads to stay out of the roads for some days, is it ?

-

Some of us have to get to work locations, many of which require office attire.

I've got a waterproof scuba gear bag I use, make the trip in flipflops and shorts, change in the men's room. PITA but the only way, do the same when the soi's all flooded. . .

in our conservative town - approx 4000

no bars, no hotels, most restaurants don't serve alcohol either

there will be water throwing etc going on at the 'safe driver' checkpoints either side of town

last two years a few kids running round with water guns, no mass-soakings and fairly safe within town borders to walk without risk of getting wet

On the way to the beach (15km) expect 3 or 4 places where a dousing is inevitable

Easy to avoid if you wish. We'll go out and join in, but all rather low-key.

different population mix here to other areas in Thailand we've lived; many of Chinese and Vietnamese descent, mix of religions too locally there are almost as many Chinese shrines as there are Thai Buddhist temples, and five Roman Catholic churches within 30 minutes drive.

Songkran not 'embraced' as much as in most other areas.

We have a Christmas parade instead.

EDIT: Chanthaburi province.

Edited by cycloneJ

I don't mind the last day of it. It's a good chance buy a drink for and to sit and have a drink with people I don't usually get the chance to, like the estate security and maintenance crews the local traffic bobbies or the motorcycle taxi lads etc. and let them know I appreciate their services to the community.

Do you think we will have another Songkran boobie outrage this year ?......one hopes so....w00t.gif .....notice the ministry of silly walks culture hasnt yet come out yet with a press statement banning young ladies from baring their boobies in public

Do you think we will have another Songkran boobie outrage this year ?......one hopes so....w00t.gif .....notice the ministry of silly walks culture hasnt yet come out yet with a press statement banning young ladies from baring their boobies in public

One lives in hope...what came of all that? Did it all blow over or did the lass get a public spanked bottom off the outraged official who made such a fuss?

in our conservative town - approx 4000

no bars, no hotels, most restaurants don't serve alcohol either

there will be water throwing etc going on at the 'safe driver' checkpoints either side of town

last two years a few kids running round with water guns, no mass-soakings and fairly safe within town borders to walk without risk of getting wet

On the way to the beach (15km) expect 3 or 4 places where a dousing is inevitable

Easy to avoid if you wish. We'll go out and join in, but all rather low-key.

different population mix here to other areas in Thailand we've lived; many of Chinese and Vietnamese descent, mix of religions too locally there are almost as many Chinese shrines as there are Thai Buddhist temples, and five Roman Catholic churches within 30 minutes drive.

Songkran not 'embraced' as much as in most other areas.

We have a Christmas parade instead.

Chanthaburi?