Songkran, How Do You Feel About It?

yourauntbob

I detest it with a passion. I honestly fail to see the point in driving around in trucks soaking people with feezing cold ices water and album powder.

I understand its beginnings and significance but infortunately the retards are now involved and the whole thing has gone to the dogs. I am sure that in a small village in Nakon <deleted> nowhere it is more authentic and possibly a pleasant experience,

Thankfully the company I work for closes for the "festival" and I'm off on a Saturday so I only have to take one day as a public holiday so I will be stocking the fridge, making sure I have some nice meals to prepare and enough beer to drink until the Monday. Other than that I am not leaving home.

It does have one distinct advantage though..,. The soap dodging backpackers and those Rastafarian style matted hair idiots get a free wash. If only they could get the talcum powder swapped for flea and tick powder it would actually be doing a service.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Songkran:

Loved it the first year, wasn't so keen the second, hated it the third.

Still hate it many years later.

It's not the Thais who are the trouble, it's the great, fat, pissed Farangs.

If they threw a bucket of iced water at home, they would expect to get a face full of knuckles...

• Like 1

As a foreigner living in their country why do you care? Whether you like it or don't like it is of no concern. This is "THEIR" holiday not yours. This is their special 3 days that means something to them. It's their cultural event just like the special holidays on your own country. Either go with the flow or simply bow out of it. Some of the comments and attitudes made here is why many Thais really would like to see you go. But as long as you spend money, they'll just ignore you and have their own fun even if it does get out of control. Enjoyed it 45 years ago and still enjoy it today. Why don't you blast the "running of the bulls" in Spain? Now that's dangerous! See my point?

• Like 2

As a foreigner living in their country why do you care? Whether you like it or don't like it is of no concern. This is "THEIR" holiday not yours. This is their special 3 days that means something to them. It's their cultural event just like the special holidays on your own country.

The thing is, not all of the Thais like it either. My Mrs likes the low key cultural celebration but not the crazed major city type madness that goes on. She always prefers us to book our holidays when it's been and gone. I didn't used to mind it too much but now we have a young daughter I too prefer to stay away.

Thai Songkran issan is the best to play Songkran all are welcome the best songkran in issan we love the festival so much leave about drinking all family together i am with my son this year

Happy Songkran play safe Dont Drink and Drive be safe

Here's a couple of commas and dots for you ,,,,,,..... smile.png

One or two days of Songkran can be fun, but 10+ days as we have it in Pattaya gets tired really quick. Most expats here stock up and stay home if they can.

• Like 1

The wife and I are not too keen on it so we stay home on the 13th. Where we live in the sleepy south it's all over by 6 or 7 o'clock. I'm happy that the Thais enjoy it though and have as much fun as possible.

On the 14th there's one or two kids at the side of the road in the morning but the give up by midday.

I pity the people that live in places like Chiang Mai, go out and get wet repeat infinitum.

As a foreigner living in their country why do you care? Whether you like it or don't like it is of no concern. This is "THEIR" holiday not yours. This is their special 3 days that means something to them. It's their cultural event just like the special holidays on your own country. Either go with the flow or simply bow out of it. Some of the comments and attitudes made here is why many Thais really would like to see you go. But as long as you spend money, they'll just ignore you and have their own fun even if it does get out of control. Enjoyed it 45 years ago and still enjoy it today. Why don't you blast the "running of the bulls" in Spain? Now that's dangerous! See my point?

An American talking about culture? The closest you guys get to culture is a yoghourt.

As for death statistics.... You only need to wait for the results against the predicted,

The running of the bulls certainly has it opposition as does dropping the donkey. Both will ultimately be banned on the grounds of animal cruelty.

Songkran... Cruelty to humans ?

OK I can understand both sides of the argument here, Some shout extreme resentment and some say hey I love it, push comes to shove the way I see it is it's their (Thai) country and they have the right to Play however they want, I also agree that some tourists take it WAY too far be it via alcohol or simply having a brain fart so my solution to that is to stay away from the tourist areas.

This will be my third festival and for the most part I enjoy it immensily, I spend the day with my wife and family and friends (all Thai) out in Sai Mai, I have not seen any major arguments, people looking for trouble, etc (thats not to say it does not happen) and have never been soaked unless I have said OK, but have seen a LOT of people having a ball as we would say in Austraila, And I hope I stay young enough at heart to continue to enjoy it many years into the future

• Like 2

I like to listen to the giggles when kids pour water on each other.

But, I don't understand why adults do it.

Perhaps they enjoy it - we don't all turn into Victor Meldrew when we hit 30 smile.png

Some turn into passive-agressives, with their hostility masquerading as a joke...

• Like 1

I like to listen to the giggles when kids pour water on each other.

But, I don't understand why adults do it.

Perhaps they enjoy it - we don't all turn into Victor Meldrew when we hit 30 smile.png

Some turn into passive-agressives, with their hostility masquerading as a joke...

I enjoy it as a participant and a slightly merry pedestrian observer - But 3 days is my abolute limit..........ok I could stretch to 3.5 smile.png

Edited by chonabot

Seems here in some parts of Pattaya they are saving water for the festival, For the last two weeks we have only had the odd day of mains water supply. When the question is asked to why no water coming you just get regulatery dumb look and shoulder shrugg. I'm glad there free bighorse they are the answer to most question asked. Even the Thai's in my area are complaining but I guess the water show must go on regardless. crazy.gif

I guess if getting some water on you is going to ruin your day....maybe.....just maybe, stay indoors for a few days and leave the fun stuff for the rest of us.

I work and have to travel very bust streets to get to my job and it is as much fun today as it was 4 years ago. Wild, crazy, free, family friendly for the most part. At least in and around my hometown.

I have been blessed to have experienced Mardi Gras, Carnival, Spring Break (us, mexico), St. Patrick's Day Parade in Dublin, Oktoberfest (germany) and a few other celebrations and all of them have pros and cons and ALL have changed over the years. It is what makes these types of events so much fun.

But there will always be people (mostly older) who will always complain about how it is not the same as it was in "my day". If I wanted my life to be as boring as yours "dad" I would have stayed in my room. It ain't 1954 anymore people.....

Thai visa is an old timers forum so you will see that opinion a lot. However in many cases with age comes a bit of wisdom (not in everyone). I like songkran but I dont like the idiots who drink and drive or who throw water at fast moving motorbikes.I drive a car this period as i have been hit by water (but not hurt) and seen results of it going wrong.

Songkran is great just a few idiots endangering ppl, getting wet is absolutely no problem for me. Playing with water is fun, i can even survive the ice water as long as im walking.

old timers speak for yourself.. plenty of 40 year olds and younger in here

• Like 1

I hate it. Young son got run over by a drunk on a motorbike several years ago, spent 10 days in the hospital-touch and go. You'll still find him and the wife playing water with the rest of the kids in the ville, up to them. I'll stock up on beer and hang out around the subdivision or go to the one bar I can get to without getting soaked. There, just a greeting of a small dash of water and maybe a pat of talcum powder.

3 days my hind end, more like 10 with the beginning and ending unknown. If I had the money I would be in the Philippines for 2 weeks, not here. And yes, the farangs are much worse than the Thais with the water etc.

I will say this, I was over in Nong Khai for an afternoon last year just before the start. I was told it would be ok, but I was extremely wary. If you indicated to the early starters that you didn't want to participate, no problem. Sundown strictly enforced, I watched a cop take away a one of those huge pump water guns from a farang right at sundown. He was threatening to squirt into the bar we were sitting in, bad move, he got off light. I might could tolerate a couple of days like that, naw.

• Like 1

It is common decency to ask someone if they can throw water over you.

-

Very rare indeed, even outright pleading in a dry business suit is met with the mob attacking with malicious glee 99.9% of the time in Thailand. And since you're encountering an ambush three or four times per block even in less built-up areas, the odds are nil you can travel to work unmolested.

I love it, its a magical holiday of fun and splashing.

But try it when you are on your way to work in decent clothes. Enjoy riding a bike when some idiot throws dirty water in your face so that you can't see where you are going. Enjoy buying a new telephone because that same idiot has drenched yours. The sensible people go away for a week but not everyone can do that.

Songkran is a beautiful festival which has unfortunately been ruined over the last few years. Much the same as Xmas in the West. After about my 10th Songkran , I'd had enough and stopped taking part. Maybe because I'm 50 now and managed to get out Thailand for most of the festivals over the last 10 years, but last year was terrible. What gives a bunch of kids the right to throw water over an adult? This would never have happened 25 years ago when we were politely asked. Maybe it's because of the increase in farangs that come on holiday and leave their brains on the plane that it seems like farang are 'fair game'. I'm going to get a T-shirt made saying in Thai, " not all farang will giggle and wai you when you disrespect them". I've had some nice songkrans at my inlaws respecting my wife's parents. Also, it is nice when my children do it to me. But outside it is madness and for drunken kids and farang in their mid-life crisis and refuse to age with dignity.

Christmas must have been a "joy" in your house. Geez Dad why don't you tell us again how much better the 50's were.

If you bothered to read my post - I've had more than 10 songkrans - I said for the LAST 10 years, I've managed to be out the country for most of them. Some here have a lot more experience here than you. What history are you referring to ?

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by Johnniey

Songkran is a beautiful festival which has unfortunately been ruined over the last few years. Much the same as Xmas in the West. After about my 10th Songkran , I'd had enough and stopped taking part. Maybe because I'm 50 now and managed to get out Thailand for most of the festivals over the last 10 years, but last year was terrible. What gives a bunch of kids the right to throw water over an adult? This would never have happened 25 years ago when we were politely asked. Maybe it's because of the increase in farangs that come on holiday and leave their brains on the plane that it seems like farang are 'fair game'. I'm going to get a T-shirt made saying in Thai, " not all farang will giggle and wai you when you disrespect them". I've had some nice songkrans at my inlaws respecting my wife's parents. Also, it is nice when my children do it to me. But outside it is madness and for drunken kids and farang in their mid-life crisis and refuse to age with dignity.

Christmas must have been a "joy" in your house. Geez Dad why don't you tell us again how much better the 50's were.

Xmas was a joy. When I went to the UK in 2010 they were selling Xmas stuff in the shops in October. Kids forget the real meaning. Many newbies to Thailand and tourists don't even know the significance of throwing water. Do you?

If I am 50, is your arithmetic so bad that you think I remember the 50s?

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Every Songkran for about the last 5 years, I do a disappearing trick from Thailand to anywhere that doesn't do it. Yea, I know that I'm a miserable old fart so rather than gripe I do a vanishing trick. It's the behaviour of people (so called) that drove me to this conclusion. coffee1.gif