Tortoise Smugglers Caught With 10 Percent Of Entire Species At Thailand Airport

Lite Beer

The irony is that usually it's destruction of the habitat that causes decline in species numbers and if these animals were being smuggled out to collecters they might have been used to breed thus ensuring the survival of the species.

More likely they're being smuggled out to Chinese restaurants, where old men will savor their flesh, thinking it will make their yongs harder and last longer. Trying to breed tortoises in captivity is fraught with problems, and essentially impossible if they're beach breeding types, which these sound like they are. There is no punishment too harsh for such smugglers.

Incidentally, the Cantonese word for 'hard on' is the same name as 'tortoise head.' And primitive thinkers like that - think that the shape of an animals body part - indicates what it's good for when ingested. Similarly, westerners believed walnuts were good for the brain/mind because of how the nuts looked - but that was 300 years ago. Some people are just stuck in archaic thinking patterns. Similarly, superstitious and primitive thinking people believe that the fierceness of an animal indicates that ingesting its body parts impart that sort of fierceness, particularly to the eater's erection. That's why ingesting parts of tigers and bears and rhinos are so popular - among the Chinese. Top of the list: Tiger penis.

never heard greater nonsense being told. where did you get that from?

Which part(s) do you deem as nonsense? Articulate. The 'tortoise head' reference was learned from a HK g.f. Do you have more accurate info, or is this a reaction of someone getting offended by the mention of too much unattractive truth about a group of people he relates to?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not proven that the turtles were caught in the wild. There is a captive-breeding facility on Madagascar that lost 75 animals in 1996, later found in Amsterdam, and returned. I don't know why so much hate for animal smugglers is expressed here, as they did not create the problem of driving animal species to extinction. Would you care about them if they sat on top of the largest untapped oil field in the world?

Perhaps they didn't create the dire situation of near-extinction of that species, but they're certainly contributing to its demise.

>The Thai man attempting to collect the bags, O. Visarnkol, was arrested on site. Prior to his arrest he was already on bail for smuggling protected species.

Fortunately since the turtles were meant for the illegal pet trade and not consumption, they were still alive when confiscated.

Read more at http://news.mongabay.com/2013/0325-hance-ploughshare-trafficking.html#HRljeeYkwUvq7Gi8.99

You're picturing the mules, whether they're thieves (stealing from a captive breeding site) or whether they're poachers (gathering endangered turtles from the wild) - as being caring and skilled enough to set up a breeding program? Or perhaps you're picturing the buyers (probably individual Chinese) as turtle breeders? First off, it's doubtful the thieves/poachers or the clandestine buyers have the skills or the means to breed such turtles - even zoos with professional staff have troubles breeding turtles. Your surmisation is more like something a defense lawyer might put forth, knowing full well that it's balderdash.

Tortoise, Tortoise, Tortoise!

• Like 2

It's not proven that the turtles were caught in the wild. There is a captive-breeding facility on Madagascar that lost 75 animals in 1996, later found in Amsterdam, and returned. I don't know why so much hate for animal smugglers is expressed here, as they did not create the problem of driving animal species to extinction. Would you care about them if they sat on top of the largest untapped oil field in the world?

Perhaps they didn't create the dire situation of near-extinction of that species, but they're certainly contributing to its demise.

>The Thai man attempting to collect the bags, O. Visarnkol, was arrested on site. Prior to his arrest he was already on bail for smuggling protected species.

Fortunately since the turtles were meant for the illegal pet trade and not consumption, they were still alive when confiscated.

Read more at http://news.mongabay.com/2013/0325-hance-ploughshare-trafficking.html#HRljeeYkwUvq7Gi8.99

You're picturing the mules, whether they're thieves (stealing from a captive breeding site) or whether they're poachers (gathering endangered turtles from the wild) - as being caring and skilled enough to set up a breeding program? Or perhaps you're picturing the buyers (probably individual Chinese) as turtle breeders? First off, it's doubtful the thieves/poachers or the clandestine buyers have the skills or the means to breed such turtles - even zoos with professional staff have troubles breeding turtles. Your surmisation is more like something a defense lawyer might put forth, knowing full well that it's balderdash.

Hare! Hare! :)

• Like 1

There is a bit of misinformation posted here, I will clarify.

These tortoises are not aquatic, they were found being smuggled into Thailand so they were most likely destined for Chatuchak market to be sold to some international collectors and possibly breeders. Once the offspring hatch (breeding tortoises is not difficult) the babies can be sold as captive raised, evading the 'cites' restrictions. The rarity and restrictions adds to the market value. For a species on the brink of extinction in the wild this may be the only means for survival. For some species, this type of collecting added to habitat destruction and local consumption is what has brought them to this condition.

Turtle and tortoise populations in much of the world are crashing due to many factors, in S.E. Asia the biggest threat is the massive unsustainable collecting and shipment to China.....

The irony is that usually it's destruction of the habitat that causes decline in species numbers and if these animals were being smuggled out to collecters they might have been used to breed thus ensuring the survival of the species.

More likely they're being smuggled out to Chinese restaurants, where old men will savor their flesh, thinking it will make their yongs harder and last longer. Trying to breed tortoises in captivity is fraught with problems, and essentially impossible if they're beach breeding types, which these sound like they are. There is no punishment too harsh for such smugglers.

Incidentally, the Cantonese word for 'hard on' is the same name as 'tortoise head.' And primitive thinkers like that - think that the shape of an animals body part - indicates what it's good for when ingested. Similarly, westerners believed walnuts were good for the brain/mind because of how the nuts looked - but that was 300 years ago. Some people are just stuck in archaic thinking patterns. Similarly, superstitious and primitive thinking people believe that the fierceness of an animal indicates that ingesting its body parts impart that sort of fierceness, particularly to the eater's erection. That's why ingesting parts of tigers and bears and rhinos are so popular - among the Chinese. Top of the list: Tiger penis.

when will you chinese learn not to eat a living specied until there is none left? there is no logic in it except shear greed.

"All animals have a right to life"

Says who? (of course endangered species should be protected...but lets not get crazy)

I say - that's who - simple if you have the education to understand evolution and the food chain of Mother Nature and co-existence of species. Or perhaps you would rather enter a discussion on the Fibonacci numbers in nature on which you would certainly need an education as even you, are a complex mathematical equation if you care to look. But you can also take into account that humans are the only animal in the food chain that kills for no reason. So much for the higher species.

I have watched cats and dogs kill other animals, then leave them where the dead animal lays. It appeared for no other reason than the enjoyment of the act of killing!!

Normally they kill for food, even if they only play with their victim first. Such as a mouse with a cat.

"All animals have a right to life"

Says who? (of course endangered species should be protected...but lets not get crazy)

I say - that's who - simple if you have the education to understand evolution and the food chain of Mother Nature and co-existence of species. Or perhaps you would rather enter a discussion on the Fibonacci numbers in nature on which you would certainly need an education as even you, are a complex mathematical equation if you care to look. But you can also take into account that humans are the only animal in the food chain that kills for no reason. So much for the higher species.

Fibonacci - thats an odd argumentgiggle.gif

There are animals that kill other than for food though.

• Like 1

I'd rather see captive breeding programs done by qualified people in good facilities - along with release programs. Ok, I'm a dreamer. Only in western countries and Australia/NZ are such things done, as with, for examples, linx in Canada/USA and the California condor in western US. Most other countries don't have the knowledge, facilities or willingness to do such things. As for private collectors, I don't know. Some may possibly be able to get some breeding, but it's near impossible they'll enact any release-in-the-wild activity. Sadly, there's less and less 'wild habitat' in Asia, as urbanization and suburbanization is spreading in every direction at an insane pace. The Chinese and Thais wouldn't mind if their countries were covered with cement block apartment complexes stretching from horizon to horizon, like Hong Kong. Indeed, they'd deem it was progress.

• Like 1

Which part(s) do you deem as nonsense? Articulate. The 'tortoise head' reference was learned from a HK g.f. Do you have more accurate info, or is this a reaction of someone getting offended by the mention of too much unattractive truth about a group of people he relates to?
everything. including that part about a HK gf.

If I told you I have 2 arms and 2 legs, would you dispute that also?

Seriously though, you can live your life with your head in the sand, or you can look around and see what's real. Sometimes that takes some research - outside of orthodox constricts. Truth can turn out to be different than what an iron-fisted government in a place like Beijing wants people to believe. Your choice.

If I told you I have 2 arms and 2 legs, would you dispute that also?

Seriously though, you can live your life with your head in the sand, or you can look around and see what's real. Sometimes that takes some research - outside of orthodox constricts. Truth can turn out to be different than what an iron-fisted government in a place like Beijing wants people to believe. Your choice.

no why i should dispute that i have 2 arms and 2 legs when i have 2 arms and 2 legs.

look at your nonsense:

smuggled to restaurants - false

they are sea breeding species - false

chinese eat them to boost sexual power - false

and some goes for all other points. they are nonsense you made up.

Q: why something would make up such false stories?

A: you want to smear a specific group of people - true

you think white man are better than Asian - true (see post #40)

there is a word for such people.

and i don't like to talk with them at all.

Well done to the authorities so far. Now they have to find out from these two individuals the names of the big noodles behind this disgraceful business are. Thailand does not need yet another embarrassing incident like this when it is already being closely watched by the WWF.

Somehow I have a feeling that if they are Thai sen yais the trail will quickly go cold.

Thai authorities are notorious for not using creative methods for smoking out the baddies in charge. There are ways they could find the original perpetrators or ring-leaders, and there are similar ways they could find those on the receiving end (most likely Chinese). Having said that, I commend the authorities who apprehended the mules. Will the surviving turtles be returned the wild?

>The irony is that usually it's destruction of the habitat that causes decline in species numbers and if these animals were being smuggled out to collecters they might have been used to breed thus ensuring the survival of the species.

It s too bad these idiots are not interested in nutrition to improve brain functioning

Well done to the authorities so far. Now they have to find out from these two individuals the names of the big noodles behind this disgraceful business are. Thailand does not need yet another embarrassing incident like this when it is already being closely watched by the WWF.

Somehow I have a feeling that if they are Thai sen yais the trail will quickly go cold.

Thai authorities are notorious for not using creative methods for smoking out the baddies in charge. There are ways they could find the original perpetrators or ring-leaders, and there are similar ways they could find those on the receiving end (most likely Chinese). Having said that, I commend the authorities who apprehended the mules. Will the surviving turtles be returned the wild?

>The irony is that usually it's destruction of the habitat that causes decline in species numbers and if these animals were being smuggled out to collecters they might have been used to breed thus ensuring the survival of the species.

It s too bad these idiots are not interested in nutrition to improve brain functioning
actually lacking proper food of decent nutrition and snorting to much spirulina leads to brain malfunction in a lot of these new age green eco warrior tree hugging anorkas..

So which one is 10% --- 54 of 200 or 54 of 400?

Mathematically speaking neither.

I'm glad the guy who wrote this article is not doing my tax returns.

The criminals behind this shipment of Ploughshare Tortoises have effectively stolen over 10% of the estimated population in the wild," said Dr. Chris R. Shepherd

Would you be happy if the foreign writer and foreign doctor said 13.5% or then would the complaint be that it is a percentage based on an estimate anyway? Sounds to me what is being said is accurate unless somebody is not reading the article properly.

Heyyyyyy, I'd just like to have some accurate figures so I know when to stop hunting. :(

• Like 1

the typical speciest can not tell a turtle from a tortoise. they all look same to them.

Yes I would. I would rather the world focused on developing electric cars instead of drilling for oil. But most of humanity is short sited.

• Like 1

I'm glad that they are catching more of these people. Hopefully that will slow demand somewhat.

I 'd love to agree with you.

But unfortunately for the tortoises, classic economic theory suggests that reducing the supply by catching the smugglers, will not reduce demand but only Increase the price offered by the end-customers.

I wish it were otherwise.

Edited by Ricardo
  • Like 1

Studying evolution and the "Food Chain of Mother Nature" tells me that animals die everyday from random encounters with each other and us. Those who adapt, tend to survive longer, but life is never, ever, guaranteed.

This "right to life" you speak of doesn't exist.

Baby elephants get slaughtered by Lions. Turtles get eaten by Chinese. Dogs get hit by human cars. Seals get thrown around and killed by Killer Whales. Humans kill each other in cars. Bacteria get killed by antibiotics. Life is random and violent.

<deleted> is "right to life". Sounds like enviromental-whacko liberal hippy BS

• Like 2

Studying evolution and the "Food Chain of Mother Nature" tells me that animals die everyday from random encounters with each other and us. Those who adapt, tend to survive longer, but life is never, ever, guaranteed.

Baby elephants get slaughtered by Lions. Turtles get eaten by Chinese. Dogs get hit by human cars. Seals get thrown around and killed by Killer Whales. Humans kill each other in cars. Bacteria get killed by antibiotics. Life is random and violent.

Ok, you don't like your (who else's?) warped interpretation of that term 'right to life.' How about we re-phrase it: 'right to exist without being decimated by poachers.' Poaching is a multi-billion dollar illegal industry, rivaling drugs and weapons, worldwide. Most wild species which are poached, wind up in China. You got a problem with that? I do.

There is a bit of misinformation posted here, I will clarify.

These tortoises are not aquatic, they were found being smuggled into Thailand so they were most likely destined for Chatuchak market to be sold to some international collectors and possibly breeders. Once the offspring hatch (breeding tortoises is not difficult) the babies can be sold as captive raised, evading the 'cites' restrictions. The rarity and restrictions adds to the market value. For a species on the brink of extinction in the wild this may be the only means for survival. For some species, this type of collecting added to habitat destruction and local consumption is what has brought them to this condition.

Turtle and tortoise populations in much of the world are crashing due to many factors, in S.E. Asia the biggest threat is the massive unsustainable collecting and shipment to China.....

"Saving" a species by capturing individuals to have them reproduce in captivity is often not a good idea. Sometimes it can be done, but successes are rare and labor- and energy-intensive. The best approach is to preserve habitat and allow the species to do what it's been doing until we came along.

As an example, here's an interesting excerpt from a tortoise website, tortoisetrust.org:

GOPHERUS - AMERICAN GOPHER TORTOISES

General: Because of their North American and Mexican location, Gopher tortoises have attracted considerable interest and much scientific investigation; this has resulted in their being among the best known of all land tortoises. However, also because of their proximity to humankind they are under severe pressure from collecting and from habitat destruction. All species of Gopher tortoise are now protected by law and should not be disturbed. Large numbers remain in captivity, both in private and institutional hands and therefore they attract considerable interest from prospective captive breeders. It should be noted that the ‘obvious’ solution of releasing the large captive population back into the wild to replenish declining stocks is both genetically and biologically highly inadvisable. Under no circumstances should captive specimens be simply turned loose. Not only do they pose a potential genetic risk, but recent evidence suggests that they may contaminate already endangered natural populations with fatal pathogens.

http://www.tortoisetrust.org/articles/kandb.htm

Edited by DeepInTheForest

Thai authorities are notorious for not using creative methods for smoking out the baddies in charge. There are ways they could find the original perpetrators or ring-leaders, and there are similar ways they could find those on the receiving end (most likely Chinese). Having said that, I commend the authorities who apprehended the mules. Will the surviving turtles be returned the [edited -DitF] More likely they're being smuggled out to Chinese restaurants, where old men will savor their flesh, thinking it will make their yongs harder and last longer. Trying to breed tortoises in captivity is fraught with problems, and essentially impossible if they're beach breeding types, which these sound like they are. There is no punishment too harsh for such smugglers.

actually lacking proper food of decent nutrition and snorting to much spirulina leads to brain malfunction in a lot of these new age green eco warrior tree hugging anorkas..

Hmm.

Apparently no region or people has a monopoly on prejudice... ?

>There is a bit of misinformation posted here, I will clarify.

"Saving" a species by capturing individuals to have them reproduce in captivity is often not a good idea. Sometimes it can be done, but successes are rare and labor- and energy-intensive. The best approach is to preserve habitat and allow the species to do what it's been doing until we came along.

As an example, here's an interesting excerpt from a tortoise website, tortoisetrust.org:

GOPHERUS - AMERICAN GOPHER TORTOISES

General: Because of their North American and Mexican location, Gopher tortoises have attracted considerable interest and much scientific investigation; this has resulted in their being among the best known of all land tortoises. However, also because of their proximity to humankind they are under severe pressure from collecting and from habitat destruction. All species of Gopher tortoise are now protected by law and should not be disturbed. Large numbers remain in captivity, both in private and institutional hands and therefore they attract considerable interest from prospective captive breeders. It should be noted that the ‘obvious’ solution of releasing the large captive population back into the wild to replenish declining stocks is both genetically and biologically highly inadvisable. Under no circumstances should captive specimens be simply turned loose. Not only do they pose a potential genetic risk, but recent evidence suggests that they may contaminate already endangered natural populations with fatal pathogens.

http://www.tortoisetrust.org/articles/kandb.htm

Agreed, there are risks involved with captive born release stratagies, and most captive breeding is done for the pet trade. Habitat preservation is vital to wild populations. Pathogens are (primarily resperitory infections) are a big risk to desert tortoises. The genctic diversity issue can be solved with genetic databases. There has been success with captive born releases of Pacific pond turtles in Oregon but that is done in a highly controlled manner.

• 2 weeks later...

a related story surfaced today.

The focus on this story is a Chinese boat. I see the issue this way: we have a problem with perceptions concerning endangered species worldwide. This is part of a greater issue of our relationship with our environment. It is a global problem.

Yes, there are problems specific to this part of the world, and there needs to be a lot of education done, and pressure applied, with regards to China. We need to keep in mind, however, that the same is true for virtually every area of the globel. And the neo-liberal system we labor under, that assigns an inappropriate market value to much that should not be bought and sold, is to blame as well. Remember, it was only a few weeks ago that a US Navy vessel carelessly crashed into a Philippine reef in the same area-- priceless-- and did great damage, taking almost no responsibility and with virtually no consequences to the Navy.

I try my best to share what little I know, and how I view our world, with my many Chinese friends. Many of them, if it needs to be said, agree with me, and oppose such stupidities themselves. I am aware of the terrible destruction that Western ways have wreaked upon the planet. I call stupid what is stupid, and hope I make a contribution to the general state of enlightenment. There is plenty of blame to be shared. And plenty of actions to be taken.

We need to get to work. Or the pangolins, or whatever we find beautiful and worthy of study and wonder in our place, will be gone, and future generations, when told of these great lost treasures, will wonder: what were they thinking? what kind of people were they?

The article predicts dire punishment for the fishermen, who were pawns in this game. What about the masterminds, who will undoubtedly get off scot-free?

MANILA, Philippines (AP) — A Chinese vessel that ran into a protected coral reef in the southwestern Philippines held evidence of even more environmental destruction inside: more than 10,000 kilograms (22,000 pounds) of meat from a protected species, the pangolin or scaly anteater.

http://news.yahoo.com/boat-filled-protected-species-hits-coral-reef-094802333.html

Edited by metisdead
Edited as per fair use policy.

• 2 weeks later...

It's difficult to know whether your ignorance is worth replying to. By the way, cars are not human.

• Like 2