April May Touch 43 Degrees Celsius: Thai Meteorological Department

webfact

I've read a science report in the past that said that when temperatures reach 37 degrees Celsius the crime rate is going down significantly. So at least there is a positive thing about it thumbsup.gif

Another positive thing is that all that sunshine will improve everyones health no end - try to get out in the mid-day sun for twenty minutes every day with your arms and face uncovered!!!

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've read a science report in the past that said that when temperatures reach 37 degrees Celsius the crime rate is going down significantly. So at least there is a positive thing about it thumbsup.gif

Another positive thing is that all that sunshine will improve everyones health no end - try to get out in the mid-day sun for twenty minutes every day with your arms and face uncovered!!!

LOL..you do know what country your in ?....one assumes your comments are directed at farangs ?....do you really think the average Thai lady will do this..g*d forbid they may go dark...

They are directed at everybody, however, I take your point with regards to the "I want to be whiter than white" ladies (and gentleman).

My wife literally has her umbrella taped to her wrist and no matter how much I tell her that vitamin D deficiency leads to bad health I might just as well be talking to a telegraph pole as I would get more response from that!!!

cod liver oil dear boy does the same...

LOL..you do know what country your in ?....one assumes your comments are directed at farangs ?....do you really think the average Thai lady will do this..g*d forbid they may go dark...

They are directed at everybody, however, I take your point with regards to the "I want to be whiter than white" ladies (and gentleman).

My wife literally has her umbrella taped to her wrist and no matter how much I tell her that vitamin D deficiency leads to bad health I might just as well be talking to a telegraph pole as I would get more response from that!!!

cod liver oil dear boy will do the same Edited by Soutpeel

Doctors will tell you that the morning sun is the thing to expose yourself too, not the damaging mid-day sun.

So should we expect a dry(ish) wet season? Remember prior to the floods, that dry season was very mild; my mum came over for 2 months and was quite happy using just a fan. Then after that cold season we had lots of rain.

Are you crazy? Only mad dogs and Englishmen go out in the mid day sun, at least according to Noel Coward.ph34r.pngwai2.gif .

• Like 1

Are you crazy? Only mad dogs and Englishmen go out in the mid day sun, at least according to Noel Coward.ph34r.pngwai2.gif .

Mad Dogs and Englishmen

(Noel Coward)

In tropical climes there are certain times of day

When all the citizens retire,

to tear their clothes off and perspire.

It's one of those rules that the biggest fools obey,

Because the sun is much too sultry and one must avoid

its ultry-violet ray --

Papalaka-papalaka-papalaka-boo. (Repeat)

Digariga-digariga-digariga-doo. (Repeat)

The natives grieve when the white men leave their huts,

Because they're obviously, absolutely nuts --

Mad dogs and Englishmen go out in the midday sun.

The Japanese don't care to, the Chinese wouldn't dare to,

Hindus and Argentines sleep firmly from twelve to one,

But Englishmen detest a siesta,

In the Philippines there are lovely screens,

to protect you from the glare,

In the Malay states there are hats like plates,

which the Britishers won't wear,

At twelve noon the natives swoon, and

no further work is done -

But Mad Dogs and Englishmen go out in the midday sun.

It's such a surprise for the Eastern eyes to see,

That though the British are effete,

they're quite impervious to heat,

When the white man rides, every native hides in glee,

Because the simple creatures hope he will

impale his solar topee on a tree.

Bolyboly-bolyboly-bolyboly-baa. (Repeat)

Habaninny-habaninny-habaninny-haa. (Repeat)

It seems such a shame that when the English claim the earth

That they give rise to such hilarity and mirth -

Mad Dogs and Englishmen go out in the midday sun.

The toughest Burmese bandit can never understand it.

In Rangoon the heat of noon is just what the natives shun.

They put their scotch or rye down, and lie down.

In the jungle town where the sun beats down,

to the rage of man or beast,

The English garb of the English sahib merely gets a bit more creased.

In Bangkok, at twelve o'clock, they foam at the mouth and run,

But mad dogs and Englishmen go out in the midday sun.

Mad Dogs and Englishmen, go out in the midday sun.

The smallest Malay rabbit deplores this stupid habit.

In Hong Kong, they strike a gong, and fire off a noonday gun.

To reprimand each inmate, who's in late.

In the mangrove swamps where the python romps

there is peace from twelve till two.

Even caribous lie down and snooze, for there's nothing else to do.

In Bengal, to move at all, is seldom if ever done,

But mad dogs and Englishmen go out in the midday sun

• Like 2

Feels like we're there already!!

And I absolutely HATE Apple now for partnering with those useless xxxxx at YAHOO. Their weather app is BULLS*** ! It keeps the temperature at 32-33 C for Bangkok!?! I compared this with Accuweather and BBC and I think the BBC's forecast tells it most accurately.

Edited by metisdead
: Profanity!

Nothing...Texas has these type temperatures every summer....

Texas.Is that northern Thailand?Isaan maybe.

believe your correct..and the inhabitant's of this region are very fond of cattle in same way the Welsh and Kiwi's are very fond of their sheep...biggrin.png

Texas is a town in Queensland, Australia

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Texas,_Queensland

• Like 1

Feels like we're there already!!

And I absolutely HATE Apple now for partnering with those useless xxxxx at YAHOO. Their weather app is BULLS*** ! It keeps the temperature at 32-33 C for Bangkok!?! I compared this with Accuweather and BBC and I think the BBC's forecast tells it most accurately.

Bangkok!?! is that near Texas by any chance ?....rolleyes.gif

Doctors will tell you that the morning sun is the thing to expose yourself too, not the damaging mid-day sun.

I don't care what doctors say - the mid-day sun is the best!!!

• Like 1

I wouldn't want to be working in the mobile food vendor business during those termperatures

That brings a nasty thought about meat being stored in these temperatures; think I'll stick to veggie food from the street vendors for a few weeks!

no worry.

they bath it in formaldehyde. so lack of cooling will do no harm.

I wouldn't want to be working in the mobile food vendor business during those termperatures

That brings a nasty thought about meat being stored in these temperatures; think I'll stick to veggie food from the street vendors for a few weeks!

no worry.

they bath it in formaldehyde. so lack of cooling will do no harm.

Unfortunately I believe there is some truth in this!! Young mangosteens peeled and put on large cocktail sticks are a speciality of my province (Nakhonsithammarat) and I quizzed my wife as to how they stay amazingly white for so long - she said formalin. I believe that the jasmine necklaces are also permeated with this highly toxic preservative!!

Edited by SICHONSTEVE

Last winter was the hottest Bangkok winter I'd experienced. This yr NZ summer has bn prolonged, though much cooler than when I came to Auckland 42 yrs ago. I used to get dozens of mosquito bites in Feb. but seldom get one now.

Maybe you are less tasty than you were 42 years ago!!

OZmade is correct in that the weather patterns all around the globe have changed and we'd better get used to it, the destructive part is the telling factor, mini tornadoes, higher rain falls, floods, cyclones, hurricanes, in area's not seen before say something and whats happening here , the government of Thailand is trying to put more cars on the road and air pollution is the root cause of the problembah.gif

A thousand years ago there were forests in Greenland....three hundred years ago people were ice skating on the Thames...yes climate change is happening...always has...always will.

spare a thought for the workers

- yesterday cycling on the way home from the beach (Chanthaburi), a stretch of new asphalt being laid - as I sweated past in shorts/t-shirt guzzling my chilled water, workers covered head-toe shoveling hot asphalt mix, the heat coming up off the new road was oven-like. I wouldn't last long working/dressed like that.

Local temp recorded at 39, must have been well into 40+ on that road.

I like the heat, decided I was made for a hot climate - but just not to work all day in it, outdoors.

Sure, only thing is if you are working in the sun all day, t-shirt and shorts aren't going to cut it. Because within minutes you could suffer sunburn, not to mention blisters (eventually) and even heat stroke...you have to dress up like a Taliban warrior in order to keep yourself protected from the sun if you are not going to be moving much and out in the sun all day like that. When I was a first year student picking cherries in the summer in Australia, I dressed the same...long pants, long sleeved shirt, t-shirt wrapped around my neck and over my head, sunglasses and hat, applied sunscreen on my exposed hands and still got burnt. This was in Young, NSW where it was 40 degrees + everyday in December that year.

Check out how the Arabs dress. they ain't silly.

• Like 1

Until melanoma kicks in...that's not much fun....trust me...keep out of the sun (assuming you are Caucasian living in a tropical climate)

So should we expect a dry(ish) wet season? Remember prior to the floods, that dry season was very mild; my mum came over for 2 months and was quite happy using just a fan. Then after that cold season we had lots of rain.

We could....or a wet Wet, or a dry Wet, possibly a wet Dry or a dry Dry...its the weather you know (sorry some old Ozzie humour)

Texas.Is that northern Thailand?Isaan maybe.

believe your correct..and the inhabitant's of this region are very fond of cattle in same way the Welsh and Kiwi's are very fond of their sheep...biggrin.png

Texas is a town in Queensland, Australia

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Texas,_Queensland

Marble Bar is in Western Australia...check that out on Wiki if you want see what hot is.

spare a thought for the workers

- yesterday cycling on the way home from the beach (Chanthaburi), a stretch of new asphalt being laid - as I sweated past in shorts/t-shirt guzzling my chilled water, workers covered head-toe shoveling hot asphalt mix, the heat coming up off the new road was oven-like. I wouldn't last long working/dressed like that.

Local temp recorded at 39, must have been well into 40+ on that road.

I like the heat, decided I was made for a hot climate - but just not to work all day in it, outdoors.

what woks for extreme cold works also for extreme hot ,those guys do this every day and i think they know why they dress up like michelin man. never heard about this i guess

Edited by retell
  • Like 1

Yes it gets hotter in the Death Valley and Baghdad, but they don't have 90% air humidity during the day and 100% in the nights, and the vapor is what makes it unbearable. Bangkok hit 40.1 degrees last Tuesday, a new record high for March. All-time high in Bangkok is 40.7 degrees.

Yes it gets hotter in the Death Valley and Baghdad, but they don't have 90% air humidity during the day and 100% in the nights, and the vapor is what makes it unbearable. Bangkok hit 40.1 degrees last Tuesday, a new record high for March. All-time high in Bangkok is 40.7 degrees.

So true, the humidity is the killer...out of interest what was the humidity in Bangkok?

Still remember the week of 113 degree days in June 1980, when it also hit 117 in Wichita Falls. The tar was coming up off the street and sticking to my shoes. Going to 43 degrees is getting close to that range, and it can be deadly, especially if the humidity stays high. Let's hope for humidity in the 30 percent range or you will see bodies stacked up on the side of the street.

• Like 1

Still remember the week of 113 degree days in June 1980, when it also hit 117 in Wichita Falls. The tar was coming up off the street and sticking to my shoes. Going to 43 degrees is getting close to that range, and it can be deadly, especially if the humidity stays high. Let's hope for humidity in the 30 percent range or you will see bodies stacked up on the side of the street.

So true .Many people do not realise that the critical temperature for humans is not the actual environmental temperature they are exposed to i.e. the air temperature, but their core temperature....the temperature inside the brain, which is controlled by sweating.The higher the humidity,the less effective the cooling effect of sweating...so people can and do die.