Is Central Thailand Boring?

wayned

I must be the only Jet Star Fan Mate. I go to Melbourne,mind you if yer book it ain't cheap. coffee1.gif Oh the Food after this gastronomic dessert of Rice

Did ya know in Thailand there's noodles, potatoes and many many vegetables and for dessert lots of fruits, also something called a happy ending !! Never understood that one. biggrin.png

in Thailand you can also pick yer nose and you can pick yer friends but ye can't pick yer friend's noses...

I tried that once and she pushed me away and covered up her nakedness and shouted: 'falang ba! get outta here, will ye...'

but that was in BKK and ye can't expect too much around there...

Edited by tutsiwarrior
  • Like 1

Fourteen Phetchabun 'ers just had a jolly boys outing to Kanchanaburi province. We played some good golf courses, some very hot weather and partied hard. Certainly not boring.

I would describe Kanchanaburi as being in western Thailand, as it borders Myanmar. In any case, Kanchanaburi has a lot to offer. Chainat, Nakorn Sawan etc. not as much but you can always find fun things to do in these places if you look.

No not boring in Sa Kaeo this past year,,, Too many Dead !!!

All relatives,,, 2 dead from motorbike Accidents,,,2 dead from drinking too much,,, livers gave out !!!,,, 1 dead from cancer,,, 1 dead from mysterious unexplained illness and finally a 95 year old uncle just died !!!

Most of these require a 6 day event or celebration more like it !!!

Alas ! Most also require a donation !!!

Nobody dies quietly in Sa Kaeo !!!

a few years ago the wife's grandma died...I didn't know her too well and her passing was a big event and the MiL was quite shaken...after the wake and before the cremation I watched all the gambling and drinking at the wat and walked on down the road...

now a BiL is sick; he sprays rice paddys with insecticide for a living and has recently entered a wat to do merit as he thinks he's gonna die from the chemicals and I've seen him waste away...he is a pal but I can't get him to seek treatment at a big hospital in BKK and it's clear that the local treatment has been ineffective...the wife has just said: 'let us handle this, tutsi...'

in western fashion I think of her mum who will be devastated at the death of one of her offspring and of my little niece; the BiL is her father and she loves him very much and she's gonna be 11 y.o. soon and that sort of loss will do horrible damage...if she was 10 years older I wouldn't worry so much...

death in central Thailand...

On a brighter note.

I live in a small village close to Klong Lan Pattana and the Mae Wong national park.

A day or two in the life of...............

My wife Nee’s friend, Paew has a son, Gop about 19 years old I think, who is going to be a monk on Tuesday 9th April. I don’t know if it is an auspicious date or just another day in paradise.

Nee and her niece Dtai went to Paew’s on Saturday to help with the cooking but our son Tiw and I stayed at home out of the way during the daytime. We ate Paew’s that night and helped drink some whisky and bought some ourselves.

On Sunday morning Paew borrowed the freezer from Nee’s shop which is closed for a bit so that there would be a goodly supply of ice and Nee plus Dtai went to help out with more cooking and again Tiw and I stayed home.

We went down in the evening again and the street has been changed around.

There are a couple of tents with no walls over the road and a couple more on the land, tables, chairs cooking equipment, plates etc appeared overnight. Where on Saturday night there were maybe 10 or a dozen of us, on Sunday there were closer to 50 ranging in age from babies and toddlers, through teenagers, some blossoming nicely, to older parents, brothers, sisters, cousins and even the old granny from across the road, and of course last but not least, the token village farang, me.

Our son wandered off and found some friends to play with, my wife and niece were still working so I was sent to the table of Paew’s brother and several other guys who speak no English and my Thai is not too good as I am partly deaf and more tone deaf. Paew turned up with food and the guys filled me a glass of Hong Thong whisky, ice and soda so life wasn’t too bad. The problem
was trying to explain that when I was half way down the glass I really didn’t want it topping up until it was empty.

Other people kept coming over and doing their best to talk but I finally managed to politely escape and find my wife who is the only one who really speaks English and sit with her. My whisky glass was never empty for long and as usual I had brought a book so I wasn’t bored.

Tonight, Monday it will happen all over again and I have no idea what is happening on Tuesday yet.

A lot of people had smart phones so they must be up from the city.

I found that I knew a lot of people there by sight, a few by name, some by family and one woman reminded me (through my wife) that about 6
years ago how I calmed down her daughter, who was a toddler at the time, by singing her to sleep.

Village life has a lot to be said for it and for me anyway, a lot more than city life ever did. It is nice to know that most of the people there know my wife and me too.

When I lived in the UK I probably only spoke to and knew 4 or 5 families in the street and when I lived in BKK it was probably about the same.

Edited by billd766
  • Like 2

On a brighter note.

I live in a small village close to Klong Lan Pattana and the Mae Wong national park.

My wife Nee’s friend, Paew has a son, Gop about 19 years old I think, who is going to be a monk on Tuesday 9th April. I don’t know if it is an auspicious date or just another day in paradise.

Nee and her niece Dtai went to Paew’s on Saturday to help with the cooking but our son Tiw and I stayed at home out of the way during the daytime. We ate Paew’s that night and helped drink some whisky and bought some ourselves.

On Sunday morning Paew borrowed the freezer from Nee’s shop which is closed for a bit so that there would be a goodly supply of ice and Nee plus Dtai went to help out with more cooking and again Tiw and I stayed home.

There are a couple of tents with no walls over the road and a couple more on the land, tables, chairs cooking equipment, plates etc appeared overnight. Where on Saturday night there were maybe 10 or a dozen of us, on Sunday there were closer to 50 ranging in age from babies and toddlers, through teenagers, some blossoming nicely, to older parents, brothers, sisters, cousins and even the old granny from across the road, and of course last but not least, the token village farang, me.

Our son wandered off and found some friends to play with, my wife and niece were still working so I was sent to the table of Paew’s brother and several other guys who speak no English and my Thai is not too good as I am partly deaf and more tone deaf. Paew turned up with food and the guys filled me a glass of Hong Thong whisky, ice and soda so life wasn’t too bad. The problem

was trying to explain that when I was half way down the glass I really didn’t want it topping up until it was empty.

Other people kept coming over and doing their best to talk but I finally managed to politely escape and find my wife who is the only one who really speaks English and sit with her. My whisky glass was never empty for long and as usual I had brought a book so I wasn’t bored.

Tonight, Monday it will happen all over again and I have no idea what is happening on Tuesday yet.

I found that I knew a lot of people there by sight, a few by name, some by family and one woman reminded me (through my wife) that about 6

years ago how I calmed down her daughter, who was a toddler at the time, by singing her to sleep.

Village life has a lot to be said for it and for me anyway, a lot more than city life ever did. It is nice to know that most of the people there know my wife and me too.

When I lived in the UK I probably only spoke to and knew 4 or 5 families in the street and when I lived in BKK it was probably about the same.

Went to one of those thing's last year Bill and everyone got P/ssed + we all had to do the three time's round the Buddha thingy chanting. All paid for by an English chum cost him bundle's, said it was worth it to get the son in law out of the house for a few month's. Saw him a day or two later and he seemed really peed off turned out the Sil was only going in for a week. No one said life would be easy. Hope you have a good time.

Fred.

On a brighter note.

Went to one of those thing's last year Bill and everyone got P/ssed + we all had to do the three time's round the Buddha thingy chanting. All paid for by an English chum cost him bundle's, said it was worth it to get the son in law out of the house for a few month's. Saw him a day or two later and he seemed really peed off turned out the Sil was only going in for a week. No one said life would be easy. Hope you have a good time.

Fred.

My wife and niece went down around 10 yesterday morning to do more cooking and drinking etc though my niece doesn't really drink apart from wine coolers.

Tiw and I went down last night again and we missed the cutting and shaving of the hair etc. By the time we got there all the tables were full and I caugth the Puu Yai Baan going out and apologised that we didn't smell very good but there was no water in the village (I lied but it comes from his village and HE HAS water).I found my wife, still cooking, then a table and lost my son on the way.

I was fed and whiskied and sat with a friend or two which was fine until the arguement between 2 drunks where one threw soda at the other(didn't waste whisky though) and they were led off in different directions. I stayed and another friend came to join me so it wasn't too bad.

There was a German guy and his Thai wife there but he speaks no English and I haven't seen him for over a year. He comes from the big village.

The usual tears from the kids when the helium balloons escape and even the music wasn't too loud. There was some Thai dancing and the old granny from accross the road was enjoying herself dancing and singing as well.

Tiw and I went home around 10.15 and Nee and Dtai were back soon after stinking after cooking and serving all day and evening. They showered, hair washed then collapsed into bed and Tiw and I were close behind them.

I had to set my alarm for 4 am to wake Nee and Dtai and I went downstairs to light the house and fire up the kettle for their first coffee before they went back down to Paew's again. I reset the alarm for 6 am to take the MIL to hospital.

Nee buggered off with the truck so I had to nip down on me motorbike to get it. My bike decided it doesn't like early morning starts and only ran properly when I threatened to sell it to a Thai.

I took MIL to hospital 15 km away and back to the village for breakfast donuts Thai style and back to Paew's in time to offload my shopping before Nee stole the truck back.

Nee got a call from MIL for a pickup but has to take her back later and got home around midday.

Nee is crashed out on the sofa and Dtai is upstairs dead to the world.

Peace and serenity has returned to my world once more for a brief period before Songkran at the weekend when the family arrive from BKK, who and how many I have no idea.

At the moment there are 6 of us and I am expecting Nees' middle brother, wife and son, possibly here elder brother and paramour, maybe her Dad and there is an outside chance of her youngest brother who is sort of OK providing he keeps taking his meds.

Yessiree, Central Thailand IS boring.

Have a great week.

• Like 1