How Did You Learn Thai ?

Super Villian

i was just wondering how most people came about learning thai? i have been thinking about learning how to speak thai alot recently as i know it would make my girlfriend very happy. At the moment i can speak about 5 words so i would certainly need the beginner's pack.. Is there any way you can learn on the inet or is it best to get cd's and such..

i was just wondering how most people came about learning thai? i have been thinking about learning how to speak thai alot recently as i know it would make my girlfriend very happy. At the moment i can speak about 5 words so i would certainly need the beginner's pack.. Is there any way you can learn on the inet or is it best to get cd's and such..

Live in Thailand...thats the way!

Should this not be in the Language forum? :o

:D

completely remove your native lanuage from household, read thai cartoon magazine or other easy reading, than gradually increase the difficulty level, watch alot of Thai movies...etc. Doesn't hurt to take classes either.

After 15+ years, I still have trouble now and than.

Well i first bought an English/Thai phrase book and after a few weeks of people not understanding what the heck i was talking about, i bought another one thinking the translation in that one was a bit off or something, but after a few more weeks with my new phrase book and no greater results, i ditched them both and went to hang out with the kids and got them to teach me the alphabet & pronounciation. Went back to the book store a few weeks later and bought a book for Thais on how to learn English... :o

I think I must be about a hundred words ahead of you but thats all... it is hard going I reckon no matter what... I bought one CD and book.. "Colloquial Thai", and 2 more off Ebay, and I have borrowed Rosetta Stone and Pimsleur from t'internet, there are courses as Podcasts on iTunes, and lots of help on t'internet. I'm trying to go submerse myself in the language, even watching Thai movies, it is starting to click!!!

I am quite in awe of people who have managed to be fluent!!

Well i visited a course organized at a local university, just for the fun of it.That helped me to get a basic understanding of the language,learning new vocabulary from books and practise,practise and practise.I´m grateful if people correct me if I´m wrong.In my opinion the best way to learn a language.I´m also telling this my wife, but she won´t listen :o

I really enjoy the reaction of people that I can speak Thai, well still not fluent but I´m the type of person that enjoys learning

I bought a Thai for Beginners book from bangkokbooks.com. I had a couple of other packages (book and cassette tapes) that didn't help much, but this beginners book seems to work pretty well.

It gives you simple words and phrases in English, followed by the phonetic pronunciation, and then the word/phrase written in Thai. For example:

I don't understand. Phom mai khao jai. พมไม่เฆ้าใจ

(in the book they put little directional arrows to show the tones. I can't reproduce those here).

I practise by picking out a new words/phrases and writing them (in Thai) in a notebook while pronouncing them, over and over again. Once I think I've got it, I will write down all the previous words/phrases I've learned and add the new ones to the list.

Start off simple. Learn the numbers 0-9. Move on to the days of the week. Add some simple words/phrases. Learn the months and the words for day/week/month, minute/hour and so on. Remember to review/practise the stuff you previously learned.

The second thing I do, perhaps the most important thing, is actually try talking to people, using as much of my meagre vocabulary as possible. I do have problems with the tones (22 years in the army has screwed up my hearing a little bit), but if you get most of a phrase/sentence correct, the Thais will understand what you are trying to say.

I spent 4 years in Germany, and spent most of my free time hanging around with my German friends. They would speak English to me, and I would (try to) speak German to them. We would correct each other's mistakes in grammar and pronunciation.

After 4 years of informal practise, I found I could talk to just about anyone in Germany about normal day-to-day stuff (even Barvarians), but couldn't read or write anything.

I'm doing much the same thing here, but trying to add reading and writing into the mix. I must say, I am much further ahead after 4 months here, than I was after a year in Germany.

The only way for me was total immersion. I lived in outer Bangkok/Nontaburi where hardly anyone spoke English. I tried some of those books for the first year, but they only helped with some grammatical things. When I found a group of friends and hung out in bars, night-clubs, snooker halls, where only Thai was spoken, my Thai improved(it had to) quickly. Having a girlfriend that didn't speak a word of English and wasn't interested also was good. Long-haired dictionaries are great, but not if she is more interested in learning your language.

I havent had time for formal lessons, so after ditching the 'Learn Thai the Easy Way' type books as a waste of time very early on, I made it a part of each day to learn one new word or phrase. I then try to find a way to use it regularly. I can't say I do it every day, but i'm getting there slowly.

I don't know much. Enough to be seen to be polite, to find my way around, to show the taxi drivers I'm not a complete sap, and to pick up the general trend of a conversation but obviously not the detail, but it gets easier.

Well different things work for different people. I really recommend the Benjawan Poomsan Becker book "Thai for Beginners". I used the AUA Thai Course Book I and that was good, but it doesn't teach how to read Thai. The Becker book allowed me to learn to read, and every day I get a little faster. And she has Intermediate and Advanced books that you can go on to when you're ready.

You have to really work on pronunciation, since there are sounds that don't exist in other languages. But it's a blast learning, don't wait to start!

completely remove your native lanuage from household, read thai cartoon magazine or other easy reading, than gradually increase the difficulty level, watch alot of Thai movies...etc. Doesn't hurt to take classes either.

After 15+ years, I still have trouble now and than.

I bet your Thai is a lot better than you make out!

After about four years I can converse with people above hello whats your name etc etc but it breaks down pretty easily, still, can usually blag it through and keep a convo going. I think as someone pointed out already, if you have a girlfriend who speaks english and wants to speak English with you, do classes or get books because shes most likely no teacher...........she'll probably help you out when you hassle her though. I just read books, Thai for beginners, intermediate, advanced and hassled her lots :o

What i'm coming to realize now though, depressing as it is, is that it is pretty much impossible to become completely fluent at Thai. Would other people agree? - to a level where things like spoonerisms/ puns on words/ pronounciation are as natrual as they would be to a Thai person. Theres one Auzzie on TV sometimes who seems to be falang representative for good language skills. Been here 15 years and must be a linguist or something but I can still hear Australian in his accent.

My Thai is still early days I know, and I would be a lot better if my girlfriend spoke Thai with me (probably does about 2% of the time - except in her hometown when she suddenly expects me to understand everything in order to chat round the table with everyone!)

to the OP, your choice is to actively work really really really hard learning from books, classes and putting a serious effort in, alphabet, reading etc (best have a few hours spare). Then you got to use what youve learnt as much as you can, which I found difficult at first (probably through shyness and fear of not understanding what people say back). But once you get past that it just gets easier. The other option like neeraman said, is get in a situation where you have no option but have to learn it as a means to an end (much quicker and less hard work). Probably the best way to do that is getting out of the Bangkok (wise move anyway IMHO) were people don't speak so much Tinglish. If your stuck here thats just too bad:(

The most difficult thing I have found is not so much the learning in terms of vocabulary, sentence structure, particles, classifiers and so forth, it is listening and comprehending when a Thai is speaking. I have also had some difficulties reconciling the differences in written and spoken Thai. By that I mean that whilst you may write in a certain way (just as in English), you would not necessarily speak in that way.

As far as I am concerned, I am almost convinced that I will never really master the language unless I am in a situation (or force myself by making my own rules) where I have to speak nothing else but Thai on a 24/7 basis for an extended period of time, ideally on an ongoing daily basis.

I tend to find that I hit plateaux where I just cannot seem to progress, then all of a sudden I seem to go to another level.

One thing that I find particularly noticeable is listening to farang who claim to speak Thai.

Quite recently a friend of mine, whom I had not seen for about a year, turned up at the house. He can rattle on conversing in Thai at machine gun pace. When his mobile rang and he proceeded to have a lengthy conversation in Thai, I could not help but overhear. I was quite amazed at the poor and often totally incorrect/inappropriate Thai he was speaking.

He was speaking to a Thai contractor who was in the middle of doing some work at his property.

When the call ended, we had a lengthy discussion on the Thai language, particularly in regard to his previous telephone conversation.

Simply put, I wonder if I am in danger of becoming something of a language snob, because whilst I would like to aspire to my friend’s level of communication skills I do not want to do so in gutter Thai.

I would be interested to hear the thoughts of the far more accomplished Thai speakers here on the above. :o

Basic rules I find that work.

1) Listen to the Thais and watch Thai TV. You will begin to hear words that are often used and if your like me, after hearing it for the 50th time, you ask someone what does that word mean? I THINK LISTENING IS THE MOST IMPORTANT SKILL, NOT SPEAKING!

2) Start with easy common phrases, eg numbers, days, hello, goodby, how much etc, you'll slowly build on the language as time goes by.

3) Use the language everyday when ordering food, chating with other Thais. Don't be suckered into speaking English with them.

4) If you don't understand the Thai person, tell them "Mai Kao Jai" and they will often simplify the question or say it in another way. Just like in English there are many ways to say the same thing.

5) There is a great myth about the tones used in the language. Like my first Thai teacher told me, forget about them for now. Just stick to the mid tone for everything, most Thais will understand what you are trying to say. As time goes by you will start to hear a specific tone for a specific word.

6) Being fluent or perfect is not the point. Communication is getting your message accross so the other person understands. So long as the other person understands what you mean, you can communicate in the language. I know my Thai is only average at best (technically speaking), but Thais undersatnd me and often comment about how well I speak.

7) Don't give up!

Ta khun "pai yai am", khun Ja pud geng mark! :o

I don't understand. Phom mai khao jai. พมไม่เฆ้าใจ
พมไม่เฆ้าใจ is written มไม่เข้าใจ the ฆ is very seldom used.
I must say, I am much further ahead after 4 months here, than I was after a year in Germany.
Ja, ja die deutsche Sprache hat so seine Feinheiten... :o:D

Learning Thai outside Thailand is imho not the easiest enterprise. The best preparation while staying in your homecountry would be, don't laugh, joining a choral society and become one of the most active members!

Than in Thailand, cut you away from all un-thai influence (yes, this means especially ThaiVisa! :D ) and start with the same books than the kid's in Thailand do. Have a bunch of 2-3 year olds around you and listen careful how the parents speak to them is also helpful :D .

Listen, listen, listen to the people, Radio/Songs, TV and learn as fast as possible the Thai-alphabet, this will give you a good tool for the correct speaking and finding the right "sound" of a word (all your "teachers" will be surprised how fast the stupid Farang can speak the word correct after they take it apart; this is your advantage: You can learn by listening AND by understanding the language!). Have fun,

Patex

My ex didnt speak english...and I learnt a few things from her....but I never even got close till I learnt the alphabet and how to pronounce it. Once I had learnt that, it was read anything to increase my vocab...I even translated Thai songs from cassettes...listened to them and rewind and replay till I got the words. My ex was good in that she would correct my mistakes and helped me to understand others...she knew my level and reduced things to that level for me, But she also kept bringing my level up.

But two things mentioned here are important IMHO....

It is not important to be fluent but rather to be understood, Basic communication principle.

and

As in English and other languages there are many ways to say the same thing...

I did laugh at a mate once....his Thai was quite good but he used to over pronounce everything because he said it helped him to be understood....one day a girl in the village said something to me he didnt quite catch and he wanted to know what she said.....her comment ???

"why does he talk like that...does he think we cant understand our own language"

:o:D

5) There is a great myth about the tones used in the language. Like my first Thai teacher told me, forget about them for now. Just stick to the mid tone for everything, most Thais will understand what you are trying to say. As time goes by you will start to hear a specific tone for a specific word.

I thank you sir....

I have been saying the same thing for years.

:D

Basic rules I find that work.

1) Listen to the Thais and watch Thai TV. You will begin to hear words that are often used and if your like me, after hearing it for the 50th time, you ask someone what does that word mean? I THINK LISTENING IS THE MOST IMPORTANT SKILL, NOT SPEAKING!

2) Start with easy common phrases, eg numbers, days, hello, goodby, how much etc, you'll slowly build on the language as time goes by.

3) Use the language everyday when ordering food, chating with other Thais. Don't be suckered into speaking English with them.

4) If you don't understand the Thai person, tell them "Mai Kao Jai" and they will often simplify the question or say it in another way. Just like in English there are many ways to say the same thing.

6) Being fluent or perfect is not the point. Communication is getting your message accross so the other person understands. So long as the other person understands what you mean, you can communicate in the language. I know my Thai is only average at best (technically speaking), but Thais undersatnd me and often comment about how well I speak.

7) Don't give up!

Ta khun "pai yai am", khun Ja pud geng mark! :o

I agree with everything except 5 & 6 for SOME people; if your job depends on speaking Thai or communicating in Thai, then you need to master the tones and being reasonably fluent. I actually think the fluency comes just from emersing yourself boots and all, and not being scared to be wrong - being willing to admit 'mai kao jai' is a bit of a battle for many people coming here who were smart in their field doing something else, and now they have to be a beginner again.

If you do need to speak properly, then learn how the tones work over a couple of days (just practise every consonent then practise saying the 5 tones for each. Come up with some system to write down your vocab, and thereafter always note the tones as well.

The thing that separates Andrew Biggs from most other farang speakers is somewhat his vocab, but he rarely uses complex words that many farangs would not know. It is rather his ability to use the tones correctly (although his vowel lengths can be a bit off, which is the other problem for english speakers learning Thai). If you are using Thai in the workplace, getting things right is important, and therefore I think the time taken to learn a word right, rather than having to unlearn maybe 50%+ of your vocab later on means that it is worth it.

Ignore that if you just need it for talking to friends though; then it becomes perhaps less important, although it can be a struggle to understand foreigners who use no tones at all. The listener has to convert the words to be the right words.

e.g. Khrai khaii khai gai

ใครขายไข่ไก่

It isn't going to work too well with no tones at all, although if you aren't needing workplace Thai, I can't see so many problems (not too many people at work probably will need to be finding out who is selling eggs either :D )

I dont think we are talking about executive management levels here....the OP is just asking how can he better converse with his wife in Thai. For someone starting out to learn Thai and not aspiring to great fluency, then the tones can be an extremely off putting prospect and many farang have given up at that point.

I agree that if you want to take it to the highest level then tones will be necessary but for the casual conversationalist, then tones are not so important at the beginning, as time goes by and with constant listening and repeating and practise the tones will come to most people.

And as I have pointed out before that the context of the conversation, body language and the situation you are in, dictates the meaning of the words used. A person who is not fluent in English can still be understood by an English speaker irrespective of our own languages idiosyncracies. By using key words, body language and the situation....Thai is no different.

Edited by gburns57au

I used the AUA Thai Course Book I and that was good, but it doesn't teach how to read Thai

There is an AUA book for learning to read, too. I used this to learn to read and write - it's very good.

I have sticky rice for brains, i have that book! Completely forgot i have it squirrelled away...

I liked the organization of the AUA book: lots of pattern drills. I thought about taking Thai at AUA and went to check it out. They sent me to watch an intermediate level class, but i didn't like how you're not even allowed to speak at all for months. That really put me off because speaking is the main way i reinforce and improve, with others or just murmuring to myself... But all the students seemed to love that class. The Thai man teaching the class came in with a newspaper and talked about the front page article using all Thai, while the students listened. After the class I talked with some students and they said they're making great progress there. That seemed like it might be a good place to work, too.

Hi

just remebered something read on the language forum once. If your left hand brain is strong - learn to read, alphabet etc.....theres a good kids alphabet book you can get and you can practice writing the letters tracing over dotted lines etc. Get your girlfriend to teach you the alphabet rhyme and how to write it, learn Thai rules for tone, wouldn't take that much time if you got a few hours a day, start from there...

Right hand brianiers don't need this so much and absord the language without the analysis.... ie just do it........Great advice from whoever wrote it......... but i just get mixed up between the left and right, sometimes even get the shoes on the wrong feet, so you beter check yourself first!

good luck

AUA does the listen first .... not a good plan for me. Chula dumps you in over your head within 5 weeks but is excellent! ((and $$$$)) Unity Thai Language school does classes of 10 ... you listen to people make the mistakes others make. You also have time to think about your responses.

I would concur that reading is VITAL to really getting it! I would fully disagree that just using midtones is advisable. You won't hear tones well if you don't speak them.

to the OP I would say how old are you? A person's cognitive abilities decrease significantly after a certain age and learning a language as difficult as thai would take considerably more effort at 55 than at 25 whatever your method of learning. If you are an old bloke I would say don't give up but be prepared for some frustration.

In the 7 years that I've known my wife (16 years younger, I'm 55) I have only picked up a few phases and even with an intensive course and many more years of immersion I would not expect to become fluent (or even understandable) whatever the effort.

If you are planning on living in Thailand continuously then you would be well placed to learn the languge á la fuerza' as they say in some countries. If you are an old git like me then good luck...

Edited by tutsiwarrior

I used the AUA Thai Course Book I and that was good, but it doesn't teach how to read Thai

There is an AUA book for learning to read, too. I used this to learn to read and write - it's very good.

I still refer back to my AUA Writing book - the original I bought some 25 years ago.

It's the best I've found so far for introduction to the vowels/consonants.

Picked up AUA Language Center books 1, 2 & 3 published by Cornell Southeast Asia Program a couple years ago and they are excellent as well.

I won't be anywhere 'fluent' but learning to sound out words has helped in correct pronunciation - at least to my ears! :o