Visa For Uk Visit

I've read numerous informative posts on this Forum but I think my circumstances are slightly different and I would welcome advice from the experienced hands here on how to proceed.

I am a teacher in Bangkok and I hold a non-immigrant B visa and work permit. My contract expires in November and I expect to be able to renew it for another year, and, likewise, the visa and work permit. The school I work for arranges all the paperwork.

I would like to return to the UK for a month in November to visit my family and attend to re-letting/selling my flat in London. I will be returning to Bangkok to resume my teaching contract in December. I would like my Thai girlfriend to accompany me so she can meet my family and experience life in the UK. She will return with me to Bangkok and we will buy return air tickets.

We met in November 2005. We plan to marry but probably not until next year - i.e. after she has visited the UK with me. We have gone through a Thai marriage ceremony at her home in Isaan, although obviously this is not a legal marriage. There is a significant age difference - I'm 45 and she's 22 - and she previously worked in a bar. My intention is to remain in Thailand for as long as I can find work, marry and start a family here.

My question is will it be straightforward for my girlfriend to apply for a UK Visitor's Visa? Presumably I should sponsor her, although if I am living and working in Thailand will this be sufficient? We will be staying with my mother and sisters and with friends while in the UK as my flat is let. I am a British citizen and I own a property in the UK. Should my girlfriend's barwork be mentioned?

Many thanks in advance.

You should provide as much evidence of your relationship as possible. Are you both named on the tabien bahn? Do you have letters addressed to each or both of you at the same address? Photos of you together, especially at the wedding? Also proof of your immigration status and employment in Thailand, as you can be her reason to return. If she is working then a letter from her employer as well. Also a covering letter briefly outlining your relationship, reason for visit, future plans etc., similar to your OP above. Plus, of course, the usual financial and accommodation evidence. See Guidance - Visitors (INF 2) and Guidance - Sponsors (INF 3).

Should my girlfriend's barwork be mentioned?
Depends, is it relevant? If you met her through her work then mention it, otherwise only tell them if they ask. But if they do ask, don't be tempted to lie.

From what you have said, I cannot see why this should be anything other than a straightforward application. Go for it, but if you do not intend to travel until December, wait until early October before submitting the application.

Edited by GU22

We have just, yesterday, been granted a visa for a four week holiday. I am in similar circumstances to yourself it seems. You need to show:

1. You have enough money for the trip. I am financing my GF’s trip and she has no job here or money.

2. Your GF is going to return to Thailand. House ownership document + coming back with you.

3. You have a genuine relationship.

4. You have somewhere to stay.

Get insurance for her possible medical expenses – 1500 baht – Visa Fast Lane Plus is what we got. A doctors note – don’t know if this is a requirement but less than 100 baht anyway.

Don’t go too early as he said – we did and had to go back again!

Don’t mention the bar work if you don’t need to!

They want to see that she is coming back and that there is as little chance as possible that she costs the British tax payer anything.

Good luck.