Is Your Dog Coping With The Heat

I've got a large long-haired Retriever. He likes iceblocks! We live on the edge of town, so there are irrigation canals nearby. He just jumps in and out all day long. I have never seen such a dirty dog! But happy.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Fans really doesn't help to cool your dog.

Fans cool by evaporating sweat on the skin. Dogs don't have sweat glands on their skin, except on their noses and on their paws. So all a fan can do is cool your dog's nose and paws.

The flip side is that fans can dry your dog's eyes and nose which can lead to discomfort and possibly infection.

Turn off the fan, save electricity and be kind to your dog.

Good advice.

Anyone out there know how to help those poor neglectet dogs in my neighborhood?

Would providing correct food and water help?

What does the vet say?

If you're talking urban areas they should all be rounded up and taken off the streets.

Why are dogs of Alaskan descent being kept in Thailand ?

we have an alaskan malamute got him when he was 1yr.old and not wanted,we have done everything possible to make his life better and is the love of our lives,but as he has a double coat i hate to think such wonderful dogs are left to fend for themselves,there has been many that have asked could they use him for stud as he is such a good looker,but we had him snipped it would break my heart to see his offspring running around abandoned.this is just a case of inconsiderate breeders.GREED

• Like 1

Our darned chicken chasing puppy is floored by the heat just now. She lies on tiles watching the chickens eat her rice. Perhaps I'll take the advice above and hose her down now and again.

Soi dogs can perish for all I care. They have owners, until someone's pet is killed, so they should take care of them.

Whether a dog can stand the heat may depend largely on where the breed originates. St Bernard's, Newfoundlands, Malamutes are all cold climate dogs, and are going to have problems here.

Some of the small long-haired breeds, as well as being cold-climate dogs, have been bred to have longer hair, and this needs trimming to keep the dog clean, help keep fleas and ticks away, as well as the cooling effect.

They will often love swimming, too. My GSX likes nothing better than hiding himself among the growing paddy, or flopping down in a muddy pool. The small dogs (Toy poodles and thereabouts) swim whenever they get the chance. Their daily walk is from about 6.15 to 8.30 in the morning, and in this weather they stay in the house most of the rest of the time. What I'm saying is that most dogs learn to make their own adaptation to the weather, and do not need fans or aircon. That's not to say they won't take advantage of the aircon if it's on offer!

ours seems to have taken to the air con on all night,if the mrs.is cold and switches it off after a while he will come and wake me up to put it back on, so this months electric bill looks like being the bigest but he's worth it,also after a walk he likes a cold towel rub exspecially on his belly.where is he now? squeezed under the car between the back wheels and a fan blowing does he want to move not a chance the wf.just came back with some food he never blinked an eye-lid.and he loves ice cream and ice cubes,who said "its a dogs life"

• Like 1

we have an alaskan malamute got him when he was 1yr.old and not wanted,we have done everything possible to make his life better and is the love of our lives,but as he has a double coat i hate to think such wonderful dogs are left to fend for themselves,there has been many that have asked could they use him for stud as he is such a good looker,but we had him snipped it would break my heart to see his offspring running around abandoned.this is just a case of inconsiderate breeders.GREED

Have you tried a furminator brush. They are widely available now although more expensive here than UK/US. It completely cuts away the undercoat.

Have you tried a furminator brush. They are widely available now although more expensive here than UK/US. It completely cuts away the undercoat.

yes cp we have one great tool,we also bought electric clippers,but furminator is by far the best tool. love your avatar.

Have we been feminized so much that we care about our dogs that our own welfare?

our dog is part of the family and we care about him as much as ourselves,i love my wf.my wf.loves me,she loves the dog and i love the dog

and he loves both of us.

havent you had anyone that loves you its a great feeling.

• Like 1

MIne are doing just fine. All day they spend on the sofa's under the air watching tv and having a few beers.

Cats also fine, even the Persian, he also likes a few beers to cool down

post-157118-0-96055700-1365028238_thumb. post-157118-0-98587800-1365028252_thumb.

When i take them out, they usually spend most of their walk in the water like water buffalos.

One thing i noticed that helps, is to trim the hair on the stomach (if its a long hair)

My Persian also goes to beauty parlor for hair wash, cut and blow dry so he is happy cat

MIne are doing just fine. All day they spend on the sofa's under the air watching tv and having a few beers.

attachicon.gifmy boy.jpg attachicon.gifimages.jpg

When i take them out, they usually spend most of their walk in the water like water buffalos.

One thing i noticed that helps, is to trim the hair on the stomach (if its a long hair)

My Persian also goes to beauty parlor for hair wash, cut and blow dry so he is happy cat

your dog is no different to the security guard on our mooban but he cant afford skol.

your dog is no different to the security guard on our mooban but he cant afford skol.

Would it really scare you if I told you my dog loves to eat som tam also? :)

My boy is really Thai - lol

Would it really scare you if I told you my dog loves to eat som tam also? smile.png

My boy is really Thai - lol

mine only understands english but he loves durianbah.gif

Have we been feminized so much that we care about our dogs that our own welfare?

as i care about my dog so much lets have a little comparison with my th.wf.

who gets the most excited when you come home late?

who likes it when your drunk?

who doesnt mind when you call them by a diff.name?

who doesnt mind if they smell something different on you?

who's family never visit?

and last if your dog does leave you they dont take half your f-in stuff.

how do you score it?

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

In Oz, i had an American Eskimo, for those who do not know its a mini Samoyed.

What she use to do when hot was go to her water bowl and splash water on the stomach.

So i think as long as their tummy is cooled down, they are happy.

As i mentioned my lot now, are out twice per day to the lake and all 3 stand in water(tummy in water) and have the biggest smiles on their faces.

At home, my house is tiled, aircon for a few hours and tiles are nice and cool, though pitbul prefers the sofa :)

What she use to do when hot was go to her water bowl and splash water on the stomach.

As i mentioned my lot now, are out twice per day to the lake and all 3 stand in water(tummy in water) and have the biggest smiles on their faces.

At home, my house is tiled, aircon for a few hours and tiles are nice and cool, though pitbul prefers the sofa smile.png

ours will have to make do with a cold towel for a week,he had his yrly.rabies jabs yesterday.i will try and teach him how to splash water on his belly i saw a clip on channel 3 yesterday the dog stood over the bowl useing his front paw to splash his belly he looked quite pleased with himself.

An additional comment on having long-haired dogs clipped. One of mine, appropriately called Long (though the name is Thai), had a great fur coat, silky and thick. On our morning walks, as we neared home, he was sluggish, lagging behind the others.

A few days ago, I had him given a fairly close shave. What a difference it made! Yesterday and today he was racing around like a two-year-old (he IS a two-year-old), and taunting the other two to race him. He was having a wonderful time. When we got home, he lay down on the polished granite floor as usual.

At home, my house is tiled, aircon for a few hours and tiles are nice and cool, though pitbul prefers the sofa smile.png

ours will have to make do with a cold towel for a week,he had his yrly.rabies jabs yesterday.i will try and teach him how to splash water on his belly i saw a clip on channel 3 yesterday the dog stood over the bowl useing his front paw to splash his belly he looked quite pleased with himself.

It is funny and cute when they do it, but not so cute when they keep on doing it for the rest of the year, especially when the water bowl is inside the house.

Lets just say, i have had my fair share of accidental falls :)

Yes, my niece's Pom is the same. Clearly MUCH happier, and healthier, when shaved. We hate to do it coz his fur is so beautiful but in the really hot months it would be cruel not to.

Sheryl, I have a very long haired Golden and as we know they have two coats of hair (kind of like a winter coat with a flannel lining). I am sure she would do great in Alaska, but she is suffering now. Actually, I can't see where she would ever use the undercoat in Bangkok. We have been feeding her ice cubes (she loves them), but some have mentioned the Furminator which will cut away the undercoat (the flannel lining of the winter coat), which seems to make sense to me as I don't hunt and don't need a dog diviing into a cold river (if I could find one) to pull out a dead bird.

What is your opinion on things like the Furminator which cuts out the undercoat (still leaving her with the beautiful winter coat)?

Thanks,

It seems a troll came into our midst.

His post and others rising to his bait have been removed.

Trolling and flaming of any sort will not be tolerated in this forum.

readers please use the "report" function whenever you see a troll like entry. thanks.

• Like 1

Yes, my niece's Pom is the same. Clearly MUCH happier, and healthier, when shaved. We hate to do it coz his fur is so beautiful but in the really hot months it would be cruel not to.

Sheryl, I have a very long haired Golden and as we know they have two coats of hair (kind of like a winter coat with a flannel lining). I am sure she would do great in Alaska, but she is suffering now. Actually, I can't see where she would ever use the undercoat in Bangkok. We have been feeding her ice cubes (she loves them), but some have mentioned the Furminator which will cut away the undercoat (the flannel lining of the winter coat), which seems to make sense to me as I don't hunt and don't need a dog diviing into a cold river (if I could find one) to pull out a dead bird.

What is your opinion on things like the Furminator which cuts out the undercoat (still leaving her with the beautiful winter coat)?

Thanks,

I say trim the tummy and it should help.

Have you noticed when its hot, many dogs and cats sleep on their backs with stomach up and legs wide spread(biggrin.png )

The Eskimo i have also has a double coat, trimming tummy helps, i also do my Persian cat(tummy) and he comes alive after the "haircut"

Yes, we always trim his tummy, year round.

I hadn't heard of the Furminator but would certainly like to try it. Where can it be found (Bkk)?

Right now (42-43 C where I am) only a full shave will do but for most of the year it sounds like it along with a tummy shave might do the trick while enabling him to retain his gorgeousness.

No way am I cutting all that beautiful long golden hair. Our big hairy princes gets air-con whenever she wants it. Once a week she gets to swim in the pond with her fish, followed by shampoo and blow-dry.biggrin.png

Edited by villagefarang